Old Florida MX Photos

JOHN CHOATE
12/27/2008 7:17pm
kgilch wrote:
I will start out scanning some...this is Chicken Farm MX at the top of one of the big hills on the track coming out of the...
I will start out scanning some...this is Chicken Farm MX at the top of one of the big hills on the track coming out of the pit. And it is me, Kevin Gilchrist, looking for others though.

I sure wish I had one. I still have my owners manual, though. There is a multi-line dealership in Charlotte that has a mint condition one. I stood and looked at it for 15 minutes. I bet everyone there thought I was crazy.
Frank Leon
3/17/2009 6:20pm Edited Date/Time 3/18/2009 3:30pm
Great to see all those old pics... I know my dad (Verlon Moore) worked his tail off building and making Hyatt Cycle Park one of the...
Great to see all those old pics... I know my dad (Verlon Moore) worked his tail off building and making Hyatt Cycle Park one of the best tracks in Florida.. This is a picture that my mom took of me in 1977... This picture was taken on the SE coner of the track for those of you that remember Hyatt....

Man this is a cool site!!! All the names on this site bring back some great memories. Seeing this picture of Bobby at Hyatt brings me back to a great place and time. Bobby, I hope all is well and wish you all the best.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
4/8/2009 6:42pm Edited Date/Time 8/22/2009 11:30am
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
4/8/2009 6:52pm Edited Date/Time 8/22/2009 11:30am

The Shop

4/10/2009 1:56pm
FlashptA10 wrote:
Photobucket
croom mx wrote:
I remember Rocky Folsom , I was at St pete Winter AMA when he crashed in the first turn, tore up his knee and never raced...
I remember Rocky Folsom , I was at St pete Winter AMA when he crashed in the first turn, tore up his knee and never raced again. Sad.
Where did you fine a pic of Rocky without his boots duct taped together?
FishBone
4/10/2009 6:12pm
FlashptA10 wrote:
Photobucket
croom mx wrote:
I remember Rocky Folsom , I was at St pete Winter AMA when he crashed in the first turn, tore up his knee and never raced...
I remember Rocky Folsom , I was at St pete Winter AMA when he crashed in the first turn, tore up his knee and never raced again. Sad.
Where did you fine a pic of Rocky without his boots duct taped together?
hey you old goat .. what’s happening ...

everybody good in your family .. I hope
croom mx
4/11/2009 2:42pm
Hey Fishbone where do you live and who are you? Maybe you raced with us. Dont be a secret?
FishBone
4/11/2009 5:18pm
Orlando .. no secret .. raced in late 70,s very early 80's ..
JOHN CHOATE
4/15/2009 5:49pm
Hey Chip(gsxrcr), that is Danny Carpenter that crashed with you in that pic and Danny's dad with the top hat on in the other. I like the one of me and you giving thumbs up/ peace sign. I don't think my parents have that one. Thanks for posting that.
4/24/2009 12:42pm
Anyone know where Rocky Folson is now. We had some good times.
Brad
croom mx
4/26/2009 7:22am
badbrad108 wrote:
Anyone know where Rocky Folson is now. We had some good times.
Brad
He used to live near Tampa. When did you last see him 30 years ago?
4/27/2009 9:05am
At least 25 years ago. I remember he would throw his bike sideways over jumps and one time at Orlando sports stadium on the first lap he hammered a flagman.
feelnjstfine
8/21/2009 2:26am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 1:40am
I may be just a young buck at 31 but really appreciate all of you guys postin some history of the FL mx scene. Some of my earliest memories of moto as a grom were going to watch races races at Palm Beach Stadium and Moroso, and feel lucky to have had the chance to race the infamous Diamondback a few times before it closed. Thanks for rehashing old memories for me.

Any of you remember guys like Jimmy Swanson, Dean Dyess, David...( I feel so bad, brainfart on his last name, really fast but got paralyzed in a pond diving accident)? Those were the older, fast local guys, them and Todd Gardner and Adam Smith, that I looked up to and was lucky to have them take me under their wing. Sure some of ya'll raced against them or saw them coming up.

Any of you every come ride the Palm City track in Martin County?
croom mx
8/21/2009 11:48am
I may be just a young buck at 31 but really appreciate all of you guys postin some history of the FL mx scene. Some of...
I may be just a young buck at 31 but really appreciate all of you guys postin some history of the FL mx scene. Some of my earliest memories of moto as a grom were going to watch races races at Palm Beach Stadium and Moroso, and feel lucky to have had the chance to race the infamous Diamondback a few times before it closed. Thanks for rehashing old memories for me.

Any of you remember guys like Jimmy Swanson, Dean Dyess, David...( I feel so bad, brainfart on his last name, really fast but got paralyzed in a pond diving accident)? Those were the older, fast local guys, them and Todd Gardner and Adam Smith, that I looked up to and was lucky to have them take me under their wing. Sure some of ya'll raced against them or saw them coming up.

Any of you every come ride the Palm City track in Martin County?
Dean Dyess raced the 125 a class then he switched to open a class and I rode with him a few times. He was not use to the open bike and I passed him pretty easy, at Orlando Sports stadium. I think the rider who was paralyzed name is David Harrison? He jumped out of a tree into a river with the cypress stained water, you cannot see the bottom and he broke his neck hittiing the bottom. Really sad.
BVS40FL
8/21/2009 12:45pm
Dean beat me out of a 125 b class championship in 1981.
He , I , and Randy Pepe raced every race trying to get all the points we could.
We swapped positions in the top three back and forth , but he was the man that year.
feelnjstfine
8/21/2009 12:47pm
croom mx wrote:
Dean Dyess raced the 125 a class then he switched to open a class and I rode with him a few times. He was not use...
Dean Dyess raced the 125 a class then he switched to open a class and I rode with him a few times. He was not use to the open bike and I passed him pretty easy, at Orlando Sports stadium. I think the rider who was paralyzed name is David Harrison? He jumped out of a tree into a river with the cypress stained water, you cannot see the bottom and he broke his neck hittiing the bottom. Really sad.
David Harrison that's it, doh, slipped my mind last night. Haven't seen him in a few years but he still gets to some races and has the passion for the sport. Good guy for sure and definately a tragic accident.
croom mx
8/23/2009 2:25pm
croom mx wrote:
Dean Dyess raced the 125 a class then he switched to open a class and I rode with him a few times. He was not use...
David Harrison that's it, doh, slipped my mind last night. Haven't seen him in a few years but he still gets to some races and has...
David Harrison that's it, doh, slipped my mind last night. Haven't seen him in a few years but he still gets to some races and has the passion for the sport. Good guy for sure and definately a tragic accident.
What race did you see him at and what city?
DJ KC
Fantasy
550th
9/24/2009 12:51am
A photo of me from Diamondback in 1978

DJ KC
Fantasy
550th
9/24/2009 12:53am
Kenny Keylon at Diamondback

croom mx
9/24/2009 11:13am
Looks like when he was Sponsored by Yamaha Gold Coast. They sponsored many a rider, Don Kudalski , etc.
DJ KC
Fantasy
550th
9/24/2009 12:22pm
I shot that photo of Kenny in Nov. 78 at the last District 8 of the year. Kenny just got his new 79 YZ 125. Speaking of Don Kudalski, a family friend came to the races with us that weekend (her first ever MX race) and Don was parked next to up (just after his Harley ride end). Anyhoo, he was in his van changing, doors open, and the family friend accidentally seen him in his underwear. She turned beat red, my mom, brother and me were just about rolling from laughing at her on it. I was something that wasn't unusual to us.
DJ KC
Fantasy
550th
9/24/2009 12:31pm
FlashptA10 wrote:
Photobucket
croom mx wrote:
Rocky was always smooth as glass at Action Park. I remember watching him crush both motos there in the 125A class qualifier for the old AMA Amateur championships.

What ever happen to Keith Perry or John Collins? The last time I seen John was in 1984 at the High Point Nationals.
croom mx
9/24/2009 12:35pm
DJ KC wrote:
A photo of me from Diamondback in 1978 [IMG]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b63/djkcdc/77-MX-Fox-RM125-01.jpg[/IMG]
A photo of me from Diamondback in 1978

Is this the Jump after the 180 turn after the long front straight? I have the same picture of that jump in 1981. see my photos.
DJ KC
Fantasy
550th
9/24/2009 1:52pm
Yeah Croom, the same jump. :D Jay took a lot of photos there for some reason.
croom mx
9/24/2009 4:38pm
DJ KC wrote:
They took alot of photos there because it was near the front of the track and close to the pits. easy walk. I really loved that track, I wish it was around today! If you held a race there today you might have to call 911 for the riders because of exhaustion.
DJ KC
Fantasy
550th
9/24/2009 5:31pm
DJ KC wrote:
croom mx wrote:
They took alot of photos there because it was near the front of the track and close to the pits. easy walk. I really loved that...
They took alot of photos there because it was near the front of the track and close to the pits. easy walk. I really loved that track, I wish it was around today! If you held a race there today you might have to call 911 for the riders because of exhaustion.
LOL... I always loved that track... fast, sandy, whooped-out, rough... I always did pretty good there and always rode two classes.
bowers 1/2
10/27/2009 8:56pm
When i was a kid we ran all over Fl but don't remember all of the tracks but we did well in Jax in 72 Winter Nationals, did the 6 week tour down one side and back up the other finising 3rd overall in 11-13 0-72 cc on a SL 70. Graduated to the Hodaka and won a lot. Remember '74 Orlando NMA nationals got 2 1st and a 2nd. Looking for pictures of that 1972 Jax and 1974 Orlando if anyone has any. I was # 1/2 from Tifton, Ga. Hook me up if possible...plzz

Post a reply to: Old Florida MX Photos

The Latest