Old Florida MX Photos

Premixed
10/9/2011 9:17pm
shirtless guy in the "binoculars" pose is freaking me out a little bit.

doug, if you dont remember, i was over at your house in about 94, we bought that YZ400 off you with the extra frame. the bike ended up getting sold to another one of my friends. i ended up riding it quite a bit, and let me tell you, that thing hauled serious ass with a 105lb 13 year old holding it wide open. you had a green streak 100 that was pretty sweet too, if i remember correctly.
croom mx
10/10/2011 7:55am Edited Date/Time 10/10/2011 7:55am
Did not race them "all", but raced many races in Florida from '76 to '87 in my moto days. District 8 as well as non district...
Did not race them "all", but raced many races in Florida from '76 to '87 in my moto days. District 8 as well as non district tracks. Thought I was done, until I rode a borrowed Yamaha short tracker at Bithlo in '89. Did a lot of AHRMA Nationals, South East regional championships, Daytona Amateur short tracks until I got fed up with it all in '97.

Even raced Croom MX when there was only two jumps on the whole track, and we started on the front straight by flag. That pic above is from Golden Gate SX. Ever ride there? Apollo Beach motocross, right next to the beach? Manatee MX? North Florida raceway in Palm Valley?

78 to 82? You left the party a bit too early, dude.
Yeah I left MX too soon but I had no choice I had no money left and it was either get a job or go to college, I went to college. I mainly raced on 5 tracks , Coco, Chicken Farm, St Pete, Orlando sports stadium, Gatorback. some Bithlo, Didnt really like Bithlo always seemed muddy or dusty.

The Shop

Premixed
10/10/2011 5:55pm
croom mx wrote:
Yeah I left MX too soon but I had no choice I had no money left and it was either get a job or go to...
Yeah I left MX too soon but I had no choice I had no money left and it was either get a job or go to college, I went to college. I mainly raced on 5 tracks , Coco, Chicken Farm, St Pete, Orlando sports stadium, Gatorback. some Bithlo, Didnt really like Bithlo always seemed muddy or dusty.
bithlo hasn't changed a bit.
RDY2GO!
2/27/2012 7:34pm Edited Date/Time 2/28/2012 6:00am
I stumbled across this forum and thread by accident, which makes me wonder if it was fate... Lot's of great memories, lots of great photos, and I've got to add a few of my own and hopefully surprise one of the members big time. I'm going to try and upload some photos, but being a noob here I may screw the pooch, be patient with me...

Several of you have mentioned the old Clewiston track, I was a founding member of the Glades Motocross Association and one of the people that built, maintained, ran and raced at that facility.

It's been said that the 70's was the boom of MX and I'm sure that most places across the country had it's share of MX nuts, but the glades area of south Florida seemed to have a real die hard bunch of hard core riders that didn't mind building a race track as well as travel to them and race. There were small tracks built in South Bay, Moore Haven, out at Highlands Hammock and Flaghole before this core group of enthusiasts struck a deal with Morris Ridgedall and secured not only the use of his land, but several pieces of his construction equipment and built that track. The first race was an NML sanctioned event that was a huge success in many ways, including for me personally as I holeshot the first moto of the 250 novice class and held it until the last lap, finishing second. I did the same thing in the 2nd moto for a second overall and was the highest placing "local" that day.

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Because it was my home track and because I helped design and build the track as well as practiced there a lot during the week and on off week-ends I obviously had the place wired. That helped me out in a lot of ways, including landing my first sponsor, Gables Yamaha in Coral Gables. The MX team "manager" Dwight Stapleton (if I recall correctly) was at that first race and stopped by my pits after the race and handed me a card telling me to call him the following week. I did, and was added to their team roster. At that time the team was huge and consisted of many riders, but the pro that most of you old timers will remember was Joey Gratton. Gables helped me out for well over a year and up until I had a crash while practicing at Clewiston that did some pretty severe damage to my left knee, which put me out of racing for a while.

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

When my knee healed up and I was ready to get back into racing one of the locals who had been a big part of the Clewiston track as well, Smitty Pohill, was getting ready to open a Suzuki shop in Clewiston. Smitty agreed to set me up with a new bike as well as some help financially and with parts but it was going to be a while before he would get the shop opened and get his inventory. To help my transition from the old style Yamaha monoshock to the conventional two shock set up I bought a well used (can you say clapped out) '76 RM250 from my buddy Bert Barnes when he made the jump over to his Polish Parts Company sponsored Maico. I praticed with that worn out thing up until my then new '78 and a half RM250C2 came in and then went racing again. I rode with Clewiston Suzuki on my Jeresy and F.R.E. (Florida Racing Enterprises) on the bike. F.R.E. was a business my "wrench", Ronnie Sparkenbaugh and myself set up in an effort to get parts and supplies cheap as well as buying, selling and wrenching on old bikes to help support the racing.

[/img]

[/img]

I've got lots of other photos, including some from '75 when I started racing in organized events out in California on my '74 Elsinore. I just need to scan them one day soon and I'll be able to post them if anyone is interested.

So, what about it Bert, surprised to hear from an old buddy from back in the day?

Bruce McCrary
Lexington, NC
Law 131
2/28/2012 4:17am
Bruce,

Thanks for posting the photos.
JineTC
2/29/2012 3:20am Edited Date/Time 2/29/2012 3:21am
Great stories and images there, Bruce. A quick question- the Highlands Hammock track, did it date to the late 60's? I got my first bike (...er Mini-Trail) in 1970, but as a tike I recall visiting some kin who were staying in the campground there. Within walking distance there were some races being held; if I recall it was a little woodsy so it may have been a hare scrambles, but I believe I watched the same riders go by repeatedly. These concept of these m/c races seemed foreign (but exciting!) to me, which makes me think it had to be pre-1970.

TIA, and thanks for sharing the memories!
SCIENCE
2/29/2012 4:51am
Bruce, thank you for sharing. Great stuff. This thread just keeps on giving. Your 4th pic looks like it may have been the original elevator shaft (with respect to Jay & Kenny at ETown!) Love sand tracks.
RDY2GO!
2/29/2012 5:29am
My trip down memory lane was a little flawed, but I can correct it (now that all the cobwebbs are cleared) and answer your question to boot.

The name of the place I was actually thinking of was Cannon's Hammock, which was located out on S.R. 832 outside of Clewiston. There was a small MX track built there in the early 70's where the locals would have rides and races. It was where I saw my first "euro" bikes because many of these guys rode Husky's, Bultaco's and Maico's.

Highlands Hammock is a state park located in Central Florida just outside of Sebring, and until you mentioned it I had completely forgotten about hearing some of the guys talking about another small MX track that was located close to there in the late 60's and early 70's. I never visited or rode it myself, only heard other people mention it.

Bruce
RDY2GO!
2/29/2012 5:46am Edited Date/Time 2/29/2012 7:19am
SCIENCE wrote:
Bruce, thank you for sharing. Great stuff. This thread just keeps on giving. Your 4th pic looks like it may have been the original elevator shaft...
Bruce, thank you for sharing. Great stuff. This thread just keeps on giving. Your 4th pic looks like it may have been the original elevator shaft (with respect to Jay & Kenny at ETown!) Love sand tracks.
Man, great story there too... That was the BIG jump located in the center of the property at Clewsiton. Those that raced that track might remember that in the center of the property was a "rock pit" where the construction company that owned it dug out shell rock for use in their business. When we got permission to use the land and went in to lay out the track what we called the "spoil bank", or dirt that was originally dug out to get to the shell rock was piled up on either side of the rectangular shaped pit. So naturally the first thing we did was climb up on the D7 Cat dozer that they loaned us and pushed it up into what you see in that photo, then built the rest of the track from there. The inspiration came from the big jump at Bradenton if anyone remembers that.

Later we changed the jump from a gradual climb up the face to the drop off in the photo to a dual, not double, jump. There was a small jump with a steep face and drop off into a valley of sorts, then another steep climb up the face of the jump pictured. (And where I injured my knee the first time btw) A lot of people thought that we made the change in order to change up the track or make it more challenging, and that was the end result. But the truth is that we got a huge rain storm a few weeks before a race and the grounds were flooded. So we borrowed a track hoe and front end loader and opened up a "channel" so the water could drain into the rock pit. Then once we stepped back and looked at it we all went "Haaaay, you know what?" And a new design was born! *lol*

Good times...

Bruce
RDY2GO!
2/29/2012 6:25am Edited Date/Time 2/29/2012 7:02am
Thanks Bruce, for the storys and pics,,

I had 77 , 78 and 79 RM 250s
I liked the RM's, but I didn't get to ride either very long because I re-injured the knee at Homestead, which ultimately forced me to walk (limp, hobble?) away from racing. At least until around '94 when my son and I got involved with hare scrambles here in NC. Wink

The YZ was FAST, lawdy that thing would fly! I'd have to say it was my favorite just because of the good times that my bud Ronnie and I had traveling all over and racing it.

On the other hand, I was given the opportunity to race a '77 AW400 Maico for a bit and that thing was definately SWEET! Earlier in the thread there was mention of The Polish Parts Company and Jim Zmistowski, the bike came from his shop and I raced it wearing one of his jersey's. I raced that bike in the same class with him at Clewsiton and at the old West Palm Beach track (across from Pratt & Whitney) and we had a great time. I remember after the race in WPB we were laughing it up and he said "I saw you behind me, saw you do this (he motioned going WFO with his right hand) and knew that you were either going to pass me or crash!"

Bruce
JOHN CHOATE
2/29/2012 8:51am Edited Date/Time 2/29/2012 8:51am
One of my favorite photos is a picture of me sitting on Joey Gratton's YZ at Clewiston. Does anyone remember the time Mark Longwell's(brother of Doug) throttle stuck and he jumped off of the big berm and landed on the pit road at Clewiston??
RDY2GO!
2/29/2012 9:26am Edited Date/Time 2/29/2012 12:36pm
One of my favorite photos is a picture of me sitting on Joey Gratton's YZ at Clewiston. Does anyone remember the time Mark Longwell's(brother of Doug)...
One of my favorite photos is a picture of me sitting on Joey Gratton's YZ at Clewiston. Does anyone remember the time Mark Longwell's(brother of Doug) throttle stuck and he jumped off of the big berm and landed on the pit road at Clewiston??
Actually, I do. I remember that we decided to move the porta-potties after that too! That berm is visable in several of my photos too.

I also remember sitting on the starting line next to Joey before a practice when our starter for the day pointed out that there were a bunch of people standing on top of that berm that shouldn't be there and asked us to run them off. Let's be clear here, Joey waited on me... but we railed that berm high, tight and fast, nearly in tantem, spraying huge amounts of roost in the process.

No one stood up there the rest of the day...

BTW, in reading another thread yesterday I just found out that Joey and Monte are no longer with us. I didn't know Monte outside of seeing him at the races from time to time. Joey on the other hand... was a huge inspiration to me. A coach, a friend, a mentor. I lost touch with him over the years but had read about him being involved with off shore racing last year sometime I think. I spent yesterday afternoon in a real funk after reading of his passing. He was a great guy and someone who's memory always makes me smile.

Bruce
marccote.nh
3/10/2012 8:01pm
Wow,, just checking some stuff out here, I use to work at Cycle Springs Yamaha 76-78 for Ron Tischenor and Steve Martin last time I talked to anyone was I talked to Jaime Tischenor about 10 years ago. I saw the program for the 77 motocross earlier at Sunshine Speedway what a blast that was, I had my Dodge Custom Van with a trailer and set up scaffold in the trailer on the West side of the track, I remember stuff like Monte McCoy and Bob Hannah coming out to Tarpon Springs and practicing out at the old Dairy track. Crazy stuff back then. Later !!
marccote.nh
3/10/2012 8:03pm
One of my favorite photos is a picture of me sitting on Joey Gratton's YZ at Clewiston. Does anyone remember the time Mark Longwell's(brother of Doug)...
RDY2GO! wrote:
Actually, I do. I remember that we decided to move the porta-potties after that too! That berm is visable in several of my photos too. I...
Actually, I do. I remember that we decided to move the porta-potties after that too! That berm is visable in several of my photos too.

I also remember sitting on the starting line next to Joey before a practice when our starter for the day pointed out that there were a bunch of people standing on top of that berm that shouldn't be there and asked us to run them off. Let's be clear here, Joey waited on me... but we railed that berm high, tight and fast, nearly in tantem, spraying huge amounts of roost in the process.

No one stood up there the rest of the day...

BTW, in reading another thread yesterday I just found out that Joey and Monte are no longer with us. I didn't know Monte outside of seeing him at the races from time to time. Joey on the other hand... was a huge inspiration to me. A coach, a friend, a mentor. I lost touch with him over the years but had read about him being involved with off shore racing last year sometime I think. I spent yesterday afternoon in a real funk after reading of his passing. He was a great guy and someone who's memory always makes me smile.

Bruce
Monte use to come to the shop allot (CSY) in Tarpon, used to hang with him some and ride out in Tarpon near the Dairies. I remember he use to live just about out of that old faded yellow van. Quite the doob freak too.
croom mx
3/17/2012 1:36pm Edited Date/Time 3/17/2012 1:38pm
I remember a rider named Buddy Barnes is that your friend? This was about 1980-82.
RDY2GO!
3/19/2012 8:49am
No, it was Burt Barnes and he has posted in this thread. But apparently he doesn't visit here a lot or he's ignoring me! *lol*

Bruce
stone69
4/6/2012 4:18pm
mxracer546 wrote:
Diamond Back Cocoa,FL Oct 1978 [IMG]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/mxracer546/Cocoastart.jpg[/IMG]
Diamond Back Cocoa,FL Oct 1978
that hank stone on a 78 rm 400 and shane lablac in second
EbarDP48
4/30/2012 7:06pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2012 7:26pm
(So, what about it Bert, surprised to hear from an old buddy from back in the day?)

Bruce my friend...it's so good to hear from you. We have some catching up to do. I was googling Jim Zmistowski of Polish Parts when I ran across your post here.
You should get a kick out of some of these old photos.

Here's a picture on me on your old RM 250 before it was "Clapped Out" getting ready for a race at Hiatt Cycle Park in Pompano Beach. You can't tell very well, but that's a GMA (Glades Motocross Association) patch in blue on my left Shoulder.

Here's another of me once I sold that old "clapped out" RM 250 and jumped ship to a Maico.

This one's on my 77 Suzuki RM 250 at Clewiston.

Yes Sir, I can see a ride coming up in our future my friend.

If you really want to have a laugh...I still have lots of old 8mm film taken from Clewiston, Chicken Farm, Hyatt and other places unknown. We should grab some pop corn and sit down to watch a few.

Bert
EbarDP48
4/30/2012 7:35pm
I noticed that someone earlier posted this question..

"What ever happened to Karl Jordan? That kid was swift. "

I was racing with him this weekend at the FTR Hare Scrambles event in Ormand Beach. He's still swift (211)

And me today...I'm still fast...In my own mind

Bert
RDY2GO!
4/30/2012 7:41pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2012 7:44pm
I was about to give up on you Bert! *lol*

Look forward to doing some catching up, but I haven't riden a dirt bike since '04 when I gave up racing hare scrambles here in NC. These days I'm riding on road instead of off road and have gotten real involved with LD or long distance riding. I'm on a Yamaha FJR 1300 sport tourer that has been set up for LD certified rides and rallies.

My son and I just recently completed a ride called tge Saddle Sore 2000 which required us to go at least 2000 miles in 48 hrs or less. We left Charlotte and went to Dallas, Houston, New Orleans and finished up in Jacksonville, Fl.; 2128 miles in just over 44 hrs including a 6 hour nap in Texas.

Good to hear from you!
EbarDP48
4/30/2012 7:50pm
RDY2GO!
4/30/2012 8:05pm Edited Date/Time 5/1/2012 5:14am
I was looking for a photo of the FJR to show you, this is about the best one I could find quickly. I'm doing something called the 2012 Waffle House Grand Tour, the object being that you go to a Waffle House, then take a picture of your bike with your "rally towel" displayed and then post it to a web site. You get one point per Waffle House. This goes on all year and at the end of the year the points are tallied up and a winner is declared. All the proceeds got to help fund children's cancer research.

I'm in the process of adding a second GPS and having a 4.5 gallon auxiliary fuel cell built that will mount on the rear of the bike near where the tag is located in this photo. Refreshing, re-valving and re-springing the suspension while I'm at it.

[/img]
EbarDP48
5/1/2012 3:15am
Bruce, it's a shame we lost touch...Like I said earlier. Seems we've been doing/going many of the same places.
Bert

RDY2GO!
5/1/2012 4:50am
Oh man!!!! I don't see you listed in the rider standings for the WHGT, what's up with this photo?

Nice Tiger btw!!!

I'll be contacting you off list or calling you soon! I was forced to go back into the trucking industry last year and am working some really crazy hours. Was up until 1:30 this morning dealing with a broken down truck in WV and back at my desk at 6:30 am...

Bruce
RDY2GO!
5/1/2012 4:54am
The years have been kinder to you than me Bert, this was taken last year on Fathers Day when my son Bryan and I did an end to end ride on the BRP.

[/img]
EbarDP48
5/1/2012 5:03am
I know this spot very well. I've had the opportunity for many photo ops over the years with friends. We'll certainly plan a NC ride together in the future.
Bert

This one's from 2007

Post a reply to: Old Florida MX Photos

The Latest