Old Florida MX Photos

mxracer546
5/8/2008 4:51am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:53pm
Jeff Frisz Orlando Sports Stadium - they put these whoops in and everyone was crashing

The Shop

5/8/2008 5:09am
I'm not sure of the year but I wonder if anyone has a picture of Gary Jones on a Maico, at I think was a Trans-ama race where his thottle stuck open on the main straight away and then it launched off the berm and landed on the track after flying over the spectators and another section of the track.
flarider
5/8/2008 5:50am
kgilch wrote:
Wow that hit the jackpot with those pics and all those names in the NML points! I remember the race where Olerich ran out of gas...
Wow that hit the jackpot with those pics and all those names in the NML points!

I remember the race where Olerich ran out of gas in Orlando, one of the best motos ever! Unbelievable and his mechanic in the shot too, but there is no way I could recall his name. Bill Moses and Laura Lee, nicest behind the scenes people that I forgot all about! Not to mention all the effort your family but into the racing scene Dave!

Looking at other names in the points listings, does anyone know about Billy Long, Curt Shambley, John Choate, Karl Jordan, Dougy Longwell, Chris Violette, Jeremy Keating. I better cool it, I could go on and on with names of that list.

I do know Tommy Richards moved to Atlanta and started a landscaping business. And Danny Speno was out here in Arizona for a while, but I have not seen him in a few years.

Just unreal stuff, were you on a Suzuki in Palm Beach as I seem to only remember you on Yamahas, but I have not been too close with any of these?
I rode Suzuki's for a bit when I got off mini's, but was mostly Yamaha

Last I heard, John Choate became a cop like his dad and was doing drag racing for a bit.
Someone told me Violette went to prison
Rick Chew went to prison but is out now
Jeremy Keating is around and you'll occasionally see him at races, still rides, won't race
Keith Olerich is racing Vet A and doing well
Glenn Gardner is a photographer doing local racing - http://g2photosmx.smugmug.com/
My brother, Ken Kimmey, is a GM of a Longhorn Steakhouse in the Raleigh-Durham, NC area.
croom mx
5/8/2008 6:26am Edited Date/Time 5/8/2008 6:33am
kgilch wrote:
Wow that hit the jackpot with those pics and all those names in the NML points! I remember the race where Olerich ran out of gas...

I remember the race where Olerich ran out of gas in Orlando, one of the best motos ever! Unbelievable and his mechanic in the shot too, but there is no way I could recall his name. Bill Moses and Laura Lee, nicest behind the scenes people that I forgot all about! Not to mention all the effort your family but into the racing scene Dave!

Looking at other names in the points listings, does anyone know about Billy Long, Curt Shambley, John Choate, Karl Jordan, Dougy Longwell, Chris Violette, Jeremy Keating. I better cool it, I could go on and on with names of that list.

I do know Tommy Richards moved to Atlanta and started a landscaping business. And Danny Speno was out here in Arizona for a while, but I have not seen him in a few years.

Just unreal stuff, were you on a Suzuki in Palm Beach as I seem to only remember you on Yamahas, but I have not been too close with any of these?
flarider wrote:
I rode Suzuki's for a bit when I got off mini's, but was mostly Yamaha Last I heard, John Choate became a cop like his dad...
I rode Suzuki's for a bit when I got off mini's, but was mostly Yamaha

Last I heard, John Choate became a cop like his dad and was doing drag racing for a bit.
Someone told me Violette went to prison
Rick Chew went to prison but is out now
Jeremy Keating is around and you'll occasionally see him at races, still rides, won't race
Keith Olerich is racing Vet A and doing well
Glenn Gardner is a photographer doing local racing - http://g2photosmx.smugmug.com/
My brother, Ken Kimmey, is a GM of a Longhorn Steakhouse in the Raleigh-Durham, NC area.
I was at a Winter AMA and Rick Chew was there that night everyone was camping out for the next day and we had a big camp fire going it was real cold and everyone was having a few drinks and I remember Rick Chew was pretty drunk and jumping over the camp fire. A few times he almost caught on fire. / Something I remebered from along time ago.
kgilch
5/8/2008 8:09am
What about Boots, John Stelling, heard anything about him?
flarider
5/8/2008 8:18am
Last I heard about Boots, and this is going back a few years, he was trying his hand at racing mini trucks.
Other than that, nothing

By the way, Hialeah race track, the car track is now long gone

and that track you posted a pic from near Moroso was called "California Motocross Park"
Moroso tried a new track on their property last year, but it failed
croom mx
5/8/2008 8:18am Edited Date/Time 5/8/2008 8:18am
kgilch wrote:
What about Boots, John Stelling, heard anything about him?
I remember boots. We called him the Homestead Hero. He had the RPMC track wired. He used to live in Miami I have not seen him lately. It seemed like he always had a cast on his arm or leg or somewhere.
G-man
5/8/2008 8:28am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:53pm
Awesome thread & pics guys--thanks for sharing.....
None of those tracks look familiar and only a few riders do. But that's what's cool about it. Oh and that tree-lined straight at DiamondBack looks like fun!
Oldschool
5/8/2008 10:30am
Great Post
I love the "Back in the Day" stuff , I save most of the pictures too.

Gotta love all the Milk crates !
andymoto
5/9/2008 9:52am
Thanks for the pics and name lists.....
Diamondback with the sand.....rad track.

Excellent thread.
peeps sr
5/12/2008 2:47am
Mid-Lake Raceway , Tallahassee, Fl, Novemebr 1970.
Know who the rider in the middle of the pic on the Greeves is???

peeps sr
5/12/2008 2:52am
A track near Hollywood - maybe EID knows where. I'm sure the sumbitch in the photo don't remember...

croom mx
5/14/2008 4:35am
kgilch wrote:
I will start out scanning some...this is Chicken Farm MX at the top of one of the big hills on the track coming out of the...
I will start out scanning some...this is Chicken Farm MX at the top of one of the big hills on the track coming out of the pit. And it is me, Kevin Gilchrist, looking for others though.

croom mx
5/14/2008 8:00am Edited Date/Time 5/14/2008 8:32am
kgilch wrote:
I will start out scanning some...this is Chicken Farm MX at the top of one of the big hills on the track coming out of the...
I will start out scanning some...this is Chicken Farm MX at the top of one of the big hills on the track coming out of the pit. And it is me, Kevin Gilchrist, looking for others though.

croom mx
5/14/2008 8:31am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:57pm
kgilch wrote:

Here is the same track and same jump 1981. check the tree branchs. This was on my RM465.
croom mx
5/14/2008 9:59am Edited Date/Time 5/14/2008 10:00am
SweetDaddy wrote:
Where was the Chicken Farm track located?
It was located in Homosassa Springs Florida. Nice track red clay with sand, built in a mining pit about 40-50 foot deep with a nice uphill jump.
Homey
5/16/2008 9:35pm

Nice stuff guys. Great thread..
That 250 name list. wow look at all those Michigan boys.. Oh and Whitmer too He lives in Elkhart still but races in Michigan every weekend. Nice to actually see some of what they talk about.

Any of you guys have the results to post from some of those old races? Or know of a site that has them posted?

JOHN CHOATE
9/19/2008 6:56am
kgilch wrote:

Hey Kevin, let me tell you that John Choate is alive and doing well!! My family and I moved to n.c. about a year ago and we love it up here. My parents still live in so. fla. but are planning on moving up here in the next couple of years.

My boys are hoping to race tomorrow near linconton, n.c. Track is about 15 miles from the house.

By the way, that is me in the picture giving Kenny Keylon the thumbs up at diamond back. Man I could go for some of that sand up here in n.c.!!
JOHN CHOATE
9/19/2008 7:11am
I still talk to Glen Harrington and he still keeps in contact with Boots. He was last living in the Orlando area and working for a company named Nanaks and one child. Glen is doing well and lives in Davie, Fl. with his wife and two boys.
flarider
9/19/2008 7:11am
All these yrs I had no idea that was you in the photo of Kenny
JOHN CHOATE
9/19/2008 8:22am
We used to park right near that jump every race. I was sponsored by super seer and lived in those shirts. I think I still use one as a rag.
PN27416
9/19/2008 2:06pm
Great Photos everyone. You Florida guys had great sand tracks. I was born in the wrong state!!
croom mx
9/19/2008 2:24pm
PN27416 wrote:
Great Photos everyone. You Florida guys had great sand tracks. I was born in the wrong state!!
Yeah your right. Ever see a turn with 10 different berms to choose from? I use to see this a Diamondback.
JOHN CHOATE
9/19/2008 7:24pm
I remember seeing David Bailey going out for practice at the winter ams on a Bultaco and Bob Hannah locking someone in the port-o-potty for about 20min or so at diamondback.

Anyone remember the one section that got so rough that it was named the "toilet bowl"??

I also believe that Davy Coombs'(racer x) brother Tim got hurt really bad at diamondback.
Law 131
9/20/2008 10:31am
John Choate says:

"I remember seeing David Bailey going out for practice at the winter ams on a Bultaco and Bob Hannah locking someone in the port-o-potty for about 20min or so at diamondback."

Hey John,

I loved Diamondback. My buddies and I came to Florida and stayed in a local campground using Diamondback as our weekly practice track. Do you remember the buck a day practice fee? That thing was one rough SOB during the week. Rough tough sand was my thing.

Here is a photo of Bailey circa 78 or 79 on that Bultaco you refer to. I remember his Dad as coach and mentor at every race! I think its the Diamonback Winter National.

Enjoy.

Post a reply to: Old Florida MX Photos

The Latest