Old Florida MX Photos

JineTC
6/3/2011 3:08am Edited Date/Time 6/3/2011 7:45am
1978 500 National at Sunshine:

Tommy Croft during practice.

First lap, first moto; Staten had already opened a sizable lead.

The pack follows.

Burgett was having a very good day...

...and Marty was not. I've a number of images likely not worth posting and he looks discomfited in all of them. I was a huge fan.

Stackable

Burgett

Who was #137? Otherwise, Semics and Smith.

Staten, Stackable.

Semics still leading Smith.

A few second moto images and ceremonies still to come.
croom mx
6/4/2011 2:04pm Edited Date/Time 6/4/2011 2:07pm
JineTC wrote:
"Ok, I'll have a go at posting pictures.."

That's one great "go" there, torq5252. Great pics, thanks for posting!!!
torq5252 wrote:
Thanks Jtc..I love this shot of Kenny...thanks to Paul Buckley Photos [img][IMG]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/torq5252/Motorcycle%20Stuff/SteveMartinHoleshot1982.jpg[/IMG][/img]
Thanks Jtc..I love this shot of Kenny...thanks to Paul Buckley Photos
[/img]
You should say a historic picture of Keylon leading Scott Burnsworth and Rick Johnson must be 1982 or 83? Keylon won both motos at St pete with no problem but when he went to the other National tracks didnt do well? I dont know why he couldnt ride the other tracks, watched him put about 30 second lead on every other rider at St Pete , Then at the other Nationals he could not keep up?
Law 131
6/4/2011 5:09pm
In the above photos, 693 is Gary Pustelak (I might have screwed up that spelling)

137 I don't remember.
JineTC
6/5/2011 4:21am
croom mx wrote:
You should say a historic picture of Keylon leading Scott Burnsworth and Rick Johnson must be 1982 or 83? Keylon won both motos at St pete...
You should say a historic picture of Keylon leading Scott Burnsworth and Rick Johnson must be 1982 or 83? Keylon won both motos at St pete with no problem but when he went to the other National tracks didnt do well? I dont know why he couldnt ride the other tracks, watched him put about 30 second lead on every other rider at St Pete , Then at the other Nationals he could not keep up?
While I wasn't present for Kenny's win that's my recollection also; no other feats measured up to the St. Pete national.
Number 7 in the image, Donnie Hansen or Jim Gibson?

The Shop

JineTC
6/5/2011 4:27am
Law 131 wrote:
In the above photos, 693 is Gary Pustelak (I might have screwed up that spelling)

137 I don't remember.
Thanks for that, Law131. I knew that was someone I should have been able to recall, but forgot all about "GP".Cool
6/5/2011 6:55am
JineTC wrote:
"Ok, I'll have a go at posting pictures.."

That's one great "go" there, torq5252. Great pics, thanks for posting!!!
torq5252 wrote:
Thanks Jtc..I love this shot of Kenny...thanks to Paul Buckley Photos [img][IMG]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/torq5252/Motorcycle%20Stuff/SteveMartinHoleshot1982.jpg[/IMG][/img]
Thanks Jtc..I love this shot of Kenny...thanks to Paul Buckley Photos
[/img]
croom mx wrote:
You should say a historic picture of Keylon leading Scott Burnsworth and Rick Johnson must be 1982 or 83? Keylon won both motos at St pete...
Croom,, as far as why Keylon won both motos, he was an expert sand rider, and got to ride a REAL factory bike, and had a magic day for sure,and why he couldnt do as well at other tracks, he wasnt the only Fla rider like that, most of the top guys were the same,super fast on sand , not so much every where else,but thats just IMO,,
6/5/2011 7:02am
Law 131 wrote:

137 I don't remember.
JineTC wrote:
Thanks for that, Law131. I knew that was someone I should have been able to recall, but forgot all about "GP".Cool
As far as #137, could it be ,,John Calathes, Sam Dayton or Barry Higgins, or maybe even Bobby Meyers?

#7 ,,,hmmm i would think Jim Gibson,because Hansen won his titles and rode for team Honda later?

Also more great pics Jine TC,, thanks for posting,,Cool
torq5252
6/5/2011 7:47am Edited Date/Time 6/5/2011 7:47am
JineTC wrote:
While I wasn't present for Kenny's win that's my recollection also; no other feats measured up to the St. Pete national. Number 7 in the image...
While I wasn't present for Kenny's win that's my recollection also; no other feats measured up to the St. Pete national.
Number 7 in the image, Donnie Hansen or Jim Gibson?
#7 was Hansen in 1982 on 250's. I can't remember Jim Gibson's number that year.
and I agree with oldschool, thanks for more great pics!!
6/5/2011 11:24am Edited Date/Time 6/5/2011 11:33am
Jim Gibson was on the 125 in '82 at St. Pete, running the #8 , if I recall. Hansen was there at Sunshine on a 250 for Honda. That was the twilight of his career, winning the 250SX and 250 National titles in '82. Ironically, the 250 title was more or less sealed for Hansen when RJ tried to pass Keylon in Colorado, over jumped,and ended up breaking the front wheel , DNF'ing, and basically handed the title over to Hansen.

I believe Kenny would have done much more winning during his career, had it not been for the heart troubles he began experiencing in '83. I believe he won a moto at the Lake Whitney round just before the St. Pete national.

Another factor was when Honda hired Bob Hannah for '83, Kenny ended up back on the production bike.
SCIENCE
6/5/2011 6:52pm Edited Date/Time 6/5/2011 6:53pm
jIneTC thanks for sharing the 500 photos from '78. Classic, classic stuff. One quick note on Smith. Your analysis was spot on. I believe that he had badly injured his hip early that year in SX. He came back for the 500's (running the #1) and was a shadow of his former self. We saw him at the Unadilla Trans Am that fall and he literally looked to be going through the motions while Hannah and RD waged perhaps the best battle I have ever seen. He had to be hurting, because a year prior at Unadilla he was killing it. Think he switched to Suzuki the next year and retired ion '81.
JineTC
6/6/2011 3:48am
SCIENCE wrote:
jIneTC thanks for sharing the 500 photos from '78. Classic, classic stuff. One quick note on Smith. Your analysis was spot on. I believe that he...
jIneTC thanks for sharing the 500 photos from '78. Classic, classic stuff. One quick note on Smith. Your analysis was spot on. I believe that he had badly injured his hip early that year in SX. He came back for the 500's (running the #1) and was a shadow of his former self. We saw him at the Unadilla Trans Am that fall and he literally looked to be going through the motions while Hannah and RD waged perhaps the best battle I have ever seen. He had to be hurting, because a year prior at Unadilla he was killing it. Think he switched to Suzuki the next year and retired ion '81.
SCIENCE, this may be a little more "Marty Smith" than folks here are looking for, but I happened to stumble across this a couple of weeks ago on the AMA's Motorcycle Museum Hall of Fame site:

Smith was brimming with confidence as the 1978 season got underway, but then came a fateful crash in the Houston Supercross that proved to be a turning point in his career. He fell in the first turn while running at the front of pack and was hit by several following riders. The impact dislocated his hip. He lay on the ground in excruciating pain for the entire race before being taken to the hospital. Once there, Smith was left in an emergency waiting room until the following morning, the pain so intense that he went and out of consciousness. It was the first serious injury Smith experienced and it had a profound effect on him.

He was slowed for most of the 1978 season due to the hip injury. In spite of this, he was still able to finish third in the 500cc outdoor nationals. But everyone could see on Smith’s return that something seemed to be missing.

“I was able to come back after the crash in the Astrodome, but my heart wasn’t in it,” Smith said. “For my entire career, I always felt in control on the track. I lost that to a certain extent and the pain I experienced in the Houston crash was always in the back of my mind. I never wanted to have to go through that again.”

1979 marked the end of an era in AMA Motocross when Smith’s relationship with Honda came to an end. He was ready to retire from the sport at that point, but Suzuki convinced him to return for two more seasons. Even though he was still clearly capable of scoring podium finishes, he was no longer battling for championships. In 1980 and 1981 with Suzuki, he finished third and sixth respectively in the 500cc class.

At the end of 1981 Smith quietly retired from racing.

The emergency waiting room experience, if entirely true is inexcusable. You'd think the risk of internal injuries and bleeding would've made him a priority.

I know some people hated Marty with a passion, Barry Higgins among them, who called him Smarty Myth.

Here's a post-race, crowd-free image at Sunshine- him on Tommy's bike, Dave Arnold on his. I got the impression he was nothing but relieved that the series was finally over:
SCIENCE
6/6/2011 8:38am
Neat pic. Steve Matthes did a 2 part podcast with Arnold that is excellent.
It really hits this era nicely. I was/am a Hannah fan but never disliked Smith. He is one of the all time greats. The HOF write up paints the picture well.
JineTC
6/8/2011 2:23am
SCIENCE wrote:
Neat pic. Steve Matthes did a 2 part podcast with Arnold that is excellent. It really hits this era nicely. I was/am a Hannah fan but...
It really hits this era nicely. I was/am a Hannah fan but never disliked Smith. He is one of the all time greats. The HOF write up paints the picture well.
SCIENCE, is that podcast available online? I'd like to hear that myself if it's available.

I've got a confession to make: in a clinical case of immaturity I did not like Hannah for the first couple of years, but I came around to see the light. I think he did more for American motocross than any rider in history; brought it up to a new level and forced everyone else to improve, Europeans included. McGrath and Carmichael also notched it up during their eras, and as SX/MX became part of pop-culture they became household names, with Johnson bridging the time gap between them and Hannah. I realize I'm stating the obvious here for most readers, although there are likely some different takes on the subject.

While I put SX in front of MX in referencing pop-culture, I do so only in order of influence. I'll take blinding, choking dust, momentum-stopping mud, blistering heat or freezing cold over a stadium circus any day (one geezer's opinion).Dizzy
Law 131
6/8/2011 3:44am
JlineTC wrote, "I'll take blinding, choking dust, momentum-stopping mud, blistering heat or freezing cold over a stadium circus any day (one geezer's opinion)."

I'll second that.
SCIENCE
6/8/2011 8:23am
SCIENCE wrote:
Neat pic. Steve Matthes did a 2 part podcast with Arnold that is excellent. It really hits this era nicely. I was/am a Hannah fan but...
JineTC wrote:
SCIENCE, is that podcast available online? I'd like to hear that myself if it's available. I've got a confession to make: in a clinical case of...
SCIENCE, is that podcast available online? I'd like to hear that myself if it's available.

I've got a confession to make: in a clinical case of immaturity I did not like Hannah for the first couple of years, but I came around to see the light. I think he did more for American motocross than any rider in history; brought it up to a new level and forced everyone else to improve, Europeans included. McGrath and Carmichael also notched it up during their eras, and as SX/MX became part of pop-culture they became household names, with Johnson bridging the time gap between them and Hannah. I realize I'm stating the obvious here for most readers, although there are likely some different takes on the subject.

While I put SX in front of MX in referencing pop-culture, I do so only in order of influence. I'll take blinding, choking dust, momentum-stopping mud, blistering heat or freezing cold over a stadium circus any day (one geezer's opinion).Dizzy
Agree on your statement as well. Though, I hardly have time to get out and ride anymore! Anyways, you can search Matthes's podcasts on ITunes , they are free. He has done them with almost all of the legends of the sport. The Arnold, Hannah, Bradshaw, O'Show and Lechein podcasts are my favorites so far. Though, they are all good. I download and listen in my truck or when I am doing yard work etc. They are also on his pulpmx site if you don't do iTunes. Literally hundreds of hours of great interviews.
BVS40FL
6/8/2011 2:17pm
I found these old pictures of Hannah in a photo album from Chicken Farm. I think 1982.

JineTC
6/9/2011 2:21am
SCIENCE wrote:
Agree on your statement as well. Though, I hardly have time to get out and ride anymore! Anyways, you can search Matthes's podcasts on ITunes...
Agree on your statement as well. Though, I hardly have time to get out and ride anymore! Anyways, you can search Matthes's podcasts on ITunes , they are free. He has done them with almost all of the legends of the sport. The Arnold, Hannah, Bradshaw, O'Show and Lechein podcasts are my favorites so far. Though, they are all good. I download and listen in my truck or when I am doing yard work etc. They are also on his pulpmx site if you don't do iTunes. Literally hundreds of hours of great interviews.
Hey, are you and Law 131 calling me a geezer?! Wink

I did a search on Matthes before your reply and found his pulpmx site, figured I'd found the right place but didn't see an Arnold reference; I'll look a little harder. Thanks!
JineTC
6/9/2011 2:25am
BVS40FL wrote:
I found these old pictures of Hannah in a photo album from Chicken Farm. I think 1982. [img]http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo343/TERESAVALDEZ/BobHannahatChickenFarm0004.jpg[/img] [img]http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo343/TERESAVALDEZ/BobHannahatChickenFarm0003.jpg[/img] [img]http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo343/TERESAVALDEZ/BobHannahatChickenFarm0002.jpg[/img] [img]http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo343/TERESAVALDEZ/BobHannahatChickenFarm0001.jpg[/img]
I found these old pictures of Hannah in a photo album from Chicken Farm. I think 1982.

Those are fabulous Hannah pics, BVS40L, thanks for sharing them!
frank.ay
9/23/2011 5:54pm
croom mx wrote:
Looks like when he was Sponsored by Yamaha Gold Coast. They sponsored many a rider, Don Kudalski , etc.
Wow,Don Kudalski.After his Moto-X career,he was selling Hondas in Fort Lauderdale,Bought 1 from him.
Premixed
10/3/2011 6:15pm Edited Date/Time 10/3/2011 6:16pm
my uncle supposedly did pretty well in the sunshine state series in 81-82. dade city. would like to come across some of those photos

mitch fuller. ring a bell? probably not.
10/4/2011 10:44am
Premixed wrote:
my uncle supposedly did pretty well in the sunshine state series in 81-82. dade city. would like to come across some of those photos mitch fuller...
my uncle supposedly did pretty well in the sunshine state series in 81-82. dade city. would like to come across some of those photos

mitch fuller. ring a bell? probably not.
What kind of bell? Cowbell? Dinner bell?

Premixed
10/5/2011 1:02am Edited Date/Time 10/7/2011 2:31am
oh well fuck me running, that looks like a podium

doug parker?
croom mx
10/9/2011 1:46pm Edited Date/Time 10/9/2011 1:47pm
Never saw those guys and I raced all the races from 1978 to 1982? I was at Chicken Farm when they took those photos of Hannah.
Premixed
10/9/2011 5:49pm
guy on the right is doug parker, the one who posted the photos. i saw someone mention kevin sidel somewhere. last i saw him, he was working at "RTM" off 41. but this was in 2007, so even that has been a few years. i was at dade city the night he had that really bad fall. did RTM close?
10/9/2011 7:02pm
croom mx wrote:
Never saw those guys and I raced all the races from 1978 to 1982? I was at Chicken Farm when they took those photos of Hannah.
Did not race them "all", but raced many races in Florida from '76 to '87 in my moto days. District 8 as well as non district tracks. Thought I was done, until I rode a borrowed Yamaha short tracker at Bithlo in '89. Did a lot of AHRMA Nationals, South East regional championships, Daytona Amateur short tracks until I got fed up with it all in '97.

Even raced Croom MX when there was only two jumps on the whole track, and we started on the front straight by flag. That pic above is from Golden Gate SX. Ever ride there? Apollo Beach motocross, right next to the beach? Manatee MX? North Florida raceway in Palm Valley?

78 to 82? You left the party a bit too early, dude.
10/9/2011 7:05pm Edited Date/Time 10/9/2011 7:47pm

Orlando Winter - Am,1979. Did not go back through the entire thread. Some of these may be posted already. Sorry guys.
10/9/2011 7:11pm

Southeast Regional short track championship, 1994. 74z. Only dry barrel bike in the final that night. Cooled off several water pumpers on that old bike.
10/9/2011 7:18pm
Premixed wrote:
guy on the right is doug parker, the one who posted the photos. i saw someone mention kevin sidel somewhere. last i saw him, he was...
guy on the right is doug parker, the one who posted the photos. i saw someone mention kevin sidel somewhere. last i saw him, he was working at "RTM" off 41. but this was in 2007, so even that has been a few years. i was at dade city the night he had that really bad fall. did RTM close?
RTM has been done for a couple of years. Kevin Seidell was never the same after he injured his knee/ leg really bad up north in the late 80's/early 90's. He was a pretty fast rider before that. Nearly lost his leg from that crash. Not sure where he is these days.
10/9/2011 7:25pm

My old short trackers. Race shot is 1994 AHRMA national, Daytona Municipal stadium. My older brother ahead of me on a Shell YZ400 engined bike.
Premixed
10/9/2011 7:28pm
i heard he got bit by a mosquito and contracted insefilitus (sp?) the same night he broke his leg. didn't his tib/fib bone go straight through his boot?

Post a reply to: Old Florida MX Photos

The Latest