Ohio & Michigan Riders

mooch
Fantasy
431st
8/28/2009 11:37am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2009 11:45am
Regarding Mark Hinkle, anybody know what happened to him? Seems like he went from being the fast guy to not being around anymore.
JimmyD123
9/23/2009 8:44pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:20am
What about some of the great riders from Ohio and Michigan (to name a few of the top of my head)... Jeff Spreeman (American Competition) Paul...
What about some of the great riders from Ohio and Michigan (to name a few of the top of my head)...

Jeff Spreeman (American Competition)
Paul Walker (RPM and Husky)
Billy Paxton (ERG?)
Denny Bentley (Honda and Suzuki)
Bigelow Brothers, Kirk, Kip, Kris, Kreg - Team Dynamic)
Jeff and Louis Snider (Power Rider/RPM)
Frank Lamp (RPM)
Jim Lowe (RPM and Husky)
Jamie Bruce (E.C. Birt?)

These guys were all fast at tracks like Delta Ohio, Dirt Rider Park in Holland Ohio and all over Michagan.

Any pictures, whereabouts??

Also, anyone got pictures of #532 who rode an unsponsored RPM Suzuki RM125 in 1980 and 1981 in Ohio/Michigan?? This guy was slow, but had lots of fun racing and hanging out with the fast guys. Once got lapped twice at Delta by Frank Lamp who slowed each time and yelled over what was wrong that he was going so slow!!!

I have some pictures from those days and may post some if there is any interest.

Thanks.

Matt
Mark has a hillclimb racer before MX. In 1977 he was 3rd in District 14 250A on a Montesa. In 1978 he was Open National Champion and District 14 Open champ on a Montesa 360VB. In 1979 he stared the year on a Montesa 414VB then switched to a Yamaha YZ400. He finshed 2nd in District 14 to an unbeatable Alan King who was riding a Maico MC440. In 1980 he again won the Open National tile on a Macio MC440 and also the next year too on a Maico at Red Bud (he only lived a short distance away from thet track). In 1982 he raced Maicos in the 250A & Open classes, but a knee injury kept him from winning any titles. In 1983, he rodes a few races on a RM250, but he was never the same after hurting his knee and I think he quit racing mid year. Mark was very fast for 25 minutes, but I am not sure he could keep the pace for a full 45 minute pro moto but he still remains a District 14 legend.
MPM64
9/23/2009 9:26pm
JimmyD123 wrote:
Mark has a hillclimb racer before MX. In 1977 he was 3rd in District 14 250A on a Montesa. In 1978 he was Open National Champion...
Mark has a hillclimb racer before MX. In 1977 he was 3rd in District 14 250A on a Montesa. In 1978 he was Open National Champion and District 14 Open champ on a Montesa 360VB. In 1979 he stared the year on a Montesa 414VB then switched to a Yamaha YZ400. He finshed 2nd in District 14 to an unbeatable Alan King who was riding a Maico MC440. In 1980 he again won the Open National tile on a Macio MC440 and also the next year too on a Maico at Red Bud (he only lived a short distance away from thet track). In 1982 he raced Maicos in the 250A & Open classes, but a knee injury kept him from winning any titles. In 1983, he rodes a few races on a RM250, but he was never the same after hurting his knee and I think he quit racing mid year. Mark was very fast for 25 minutes, but I am not sure he could keep the pace for a full 45 minute pro moto but he still remains a District 14 legend.
Thanks for the info on Mark Hinkle. I agree with you regarding him being a District 14 legend. I picture him vividly hauling ass with that sit down riding style, jersey flapping and that Grizzley Adams beard hangin out from under his helmet. He was real fast and smooth at the same time. Too bad he is often overlooked when fast amatuer riders are brought up from that era.

I checked out some of the pics in your profile. Is that pic with the over/under bridge from Mt. Clemens MX? Also the #123 looks familiar. Especially the Dynamic Cycle tank sticker on the '78 or '79 YZ. I started racing seriously around that time. Trying to remember if I knew anyone named Jimmy from back then? They say the memory goes first when you get old. LOL
JimmyD123
9/26/2009 10:48am
Mark, you are correct, that is the old Mt. Clemens track. You might remember me from that track as I won 90% of the 250B races there in 1980. I als won the District 14 250B championship the same year (blew out my knee in the latter part of the season and never raced again). I raced against your brother Scott. I still have a copy of the Distrcit 14 standings from 1980 that have you and your brother listed. I could email you a copy if you are interested. - Jim

The Shop

MPM64
9/26/2009 8:22pm
JimmyD123 wrote:
Mark, you are correct, that is the old Mt. Clemens track. You might remember me from that track as I won 90% of the 250B races...
Mark, you are correct, that is the old Mt. Clemens track. You might remember me from that track as I won 90% of the 250B races there in 1980. I als won the District 14 250B championship the same year (blew out my knee in the latter part of the season and never raced again). I raced against your brother Scott. I still have a copy of the Distrcit 14 standings from 1980 that have you and your brother listed. I could email you a copy if you are interested. - Jim
Jim,

Too bad about the knee injury. Well at least you can say you went out on top. Winning the B class in those days was not easy.

Check your email. I think I had a few old startline pics from Mt. Clemens that you were in. I will send them your way. Also feel free to email me the old District 14 standings. My bro would get a kick out of that.
Nutty C
11/3/2009 9:15am
What about Keith Bowen. Factory Yamaha rider in the mid eightees.
Nutty C
11/3/2009 9:18am Edited Date/Time 1/14/2010 7:48am
What about Keith Bowen. Factory Yamaha rider in the mid eightees. Bigalow 222 raced in Ontario some times with a big guy that was always looking over his shoulder . Frank Lamp I think was his name.
Bobbles
11/3/2009 2:52pm
Mike Tucker, Mike Howell, Jason Balas, Joe Maurer, Marcus Sellards, Brock Sellards, Josh Demuth, Jon Agin, Jeromy Beuhl, Chuck Reed.. Some better than others obviously but all were part of the Ohio minicycle scene in the 80's
lowe847-685
11/10/2009 4:54pm
What about some of the great riders from Ohio and Michigan (to name a few of the top of my head)... Jeff Spreeman (American Competition) Paul...
What about some of the great riders from Ohio and Michigan (to name a few of the top of my head)...

Billy Paxton (ERG?)
Frank Lamp (RPM)
Jim Lowe (RPM and Husky)
Jamie Bruce (E.C. Birt?)

These guys were all fast at tracks like Delta Ohio, Dirt Rider Park in Holland Ohio and all over Michagan.

Also, anyone got pictures of #532 who rode an unsponsored RPM Suzuki RM125 in 1980 and 1981 in Ohio/Michigan?? This guy was slow, but had lots of fun racing and hanging out with the fast guys. Once got lapped twice at Delta by Frank Lamp who slowed each time and yelled over what was wrong that he was going so slow!!!

I have some pictures from those days and may post some if there is any interest.

Thanks.

Matt
Ok, Just seen Jeff Spreeman, his parents and himself are the owners of a shop in Adrian. Had a long visit with them. Jeff has one of his old yamaha's in the shop restored to perfection. Paul is an ER doctor and has a son Tim that races. Jim Lowe that is my brother and he is a automotive mechanic at my brother Bill's shop in Toledo. How about Shawn and Shane Wyant. That family is still racing strong in North Carolina. Check out wyantracing.com. The Idding brothers Mike, not sure where he is but Gregg is a Judge in Adrian, and Doug is a doctor. Any body here about Tim Dorris, Jeff Johnson, Troy Stoll. I could go on for a long time. Any old racers from the Delta, Milan, Norwalk, Tiffin tracks get in touch. Want to have a old racer get together summer of 2010.

Diann
RufRedBaron
11/11/2009 6:50pm
Diann:

Count me in as an old racer from Delta, etc. I knew your brother. Actually bought one of his 1979 RM125s that RPM built up. Use to hang out at Power Rider and RPM back in 1979 - 1982.

Those were great days!

Matt
lowe847-685
11/12/2009 8:13am
Send me email or address at diann.lowe66@yahoo.com. Anyone that rode and would be interested in joining the party is welcome to email me also. Thanks. Want to make this a huge one. I grew up at the race track and those are some of my best memories. Also the people I never seem to forget. And the people I am always searching for to see how they have been.
smackum7
11/12/2009 11:59am
I could be talked into going to a party. I just happened to race out at Delta since 1975. You keep me posted and tell your family hello.
lowe847-685
11/12/2009 7:33pm
Send me an email. I will keep you updated on the party.
AHRMA361
Fantasy
180th
11/17/2009 6:54am
Ok, Just seen Jeff Spreeman, his parents and himself are the owners of a shop in Adrian. Had a long visit with them. Jeff has one...
Ok, Just seen Jeff Spreeman, his parents and himself are the owners of a shop in Adrian. Had a long visit with them. Jeff has one of his old yamaha's in the shop restored to perfection. Paul is an ER doctor and has a son Tim that races. Jim Lowe that is my brother and he is a automotive mechanic at my brother Bill's shop in Toledo. How about Shawn and Shane Wyant. That family is still racing strong in North Carolina. Check out wyantracing.com. The Idding brothers Mike, not sure where he is but Gregg is a Judge in Adrian, and Doug is a doctor. Any body here about Tim Dorris, Jeff Johnson, Troy Stoll. I could go on for a long time. Any old racers from the Delta, Milan, Norwalk, Tiffin tracks get in touch. Want to have a old racer get together summer of 2010.

Diann
Mike Iddings is in Colorado.....I restored his original PK Racing 1976 XR75 a few years ago for a friend of his out of Temperance that then took it out to Colorado and surprised Mike with it.....

He gets back to ride in Michigan occasionally with a group out of the Saddlebag Lake area...I saw him last up there in 2007.
lowe847-685
11/18/2009 7:53pm
Well if you see him again or talk to him take him my email and tell him Diann Lowe said HI and to get in touch. Thanks for letting me know.
steve_o_de
12/20/2009 9:06am

Billy Paxton (ERG?)
Frank Lamp (RPM)
Jim Lowe (RPM and Husky)
Jamie Bruce (E.C. Birt?)

Thanks.

Matt
One to add to your list is John Korte. He still races and is the current 60+ GLMX state champ in Michigan. He is still pretty fast and is not afraid to rub plastic if you get in his way.
cpracing519
12/22/2009 11:31am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:34pm
Don't forget about Todd DeHoop, Jeff Stanton, Scott Ruis, John Grewe, Matt Maximohf, Jeff Emig, Brian Swink, Matt Crown. Thats the ones I have ridden with in the past and a few still today!
I actually just got a whole bunch of 87-88 RM parts from Todd DeHoop the other day!
8/20/2010 11:25am
Riders I remember:

Lisa Akin
David Beckington
Jeff Beckington
Denny Bentley
Kip Bigelow
Kirk Bigelow
Kreg Bigelow
Kris Bigelow
Art Black
Greg Bowen
Keith Bowen
Dave Bowman
Tim Brown
Jamie Bruce
Sam Buchalter
Sanford Buchalter
Budzin
Dan Carlton
Leonard Cheza
Crawford
Matt Crown
Todd DeHoop
Billy Frank
John Grewe
Haring
Mike Hartwig
Rusty Hibbs
Hilgendorf
Mark Hinkle
Scott Hinkle
Holder
Dave Hollis
Tom Holsher
Matt Horrocks
Steve Horvath
Shane Hruska
Alan King
John Kitcsh
Frank Lamp
Mike LaRocco
Nels Larson
Danny Leonard
Brad Lowe
Jim Lowe
Mack
Matt Maximoff
Barry Mayo
Billy Paxton
Don Sinclair
Kelly Smith
Jeff Snider
Louis Snider
Dale Spangler
Jeff Spreeman
Chris Stanick
Jeff Stanton
Brian Swink
Tamblings
Paul Walker
Eddie Warren
Wilkins
Jimmy Wilson
John Wojtala
Terry Young
10/11/2010 7:10pm
Dave Mohr was force in the late 70's early 80's!!!!! Was the first rider to earn
District 11 rider of the year rotating trophy. Scott Watkins was always smokin
fast Too!!!!
three9zero
10/17/2010 8:31pm
Mid to late 80's D 14, after our morning races i'd stay with my dad to watch the afternoon races at Baja Acres, Polka Dots, Bull Dogs, Brown City, Iron mustangs and Morelands.
I would get to watch:

Jeff Stanton
Eddie Warren
Keith and greg bowen
todd and greg ? Dehoop
Jeff Currie
David Gaylord
Mike Larroco
John Kitch
Eric McClear
Beckington Bro's
Brian Swink
Matt Maximoff

10/18/2010 5:50pm
openro wrote:
Ok here goes my memory working overtime. Michigan District 14 fast guys the late 70's. Dave Hollis Steve Horvath Rusty Hibbs Shane Hruska Barry Mayo Eddie...
Ok here goes my memory working overtime. Michigan District 14 fast guys the late 70's.

Dave Hollis

Steve Horvath

Rusty Hibbs

Shane Hruska

Barry Mayo

Eddie Warren

Matt Horrocks

Synclair?

Lenerd Cheza

Danny Lenard

Danny Carlton

Dave Bowman

fast man Keith Bowen
10/27/2010 6:10pm

Billy Paxton (ERG?)
Frank Lamp (RPM)
Jim Lowe (RPM and Husky)
Jamie Bruce (E.C. Birt?)

Thanks.

Matt
Not sure who he was but he raced a Yamaha YZ80 that looked just like a 250 Husky in the late 70's.
JimmyD123
11/20/2010 6:24am

Billy Paxton (ERG?)
Frank Lamp (RPM)
Jim Lowe (RPM and Husky)
Jamie Bruce (E.C. Birt?)

Thanks.

Matt
Not sure who he was but he raced a Yamaha YZ80 that looked just like a 250 Husky in the late 70's.
Ernie Horvath rode a 1977 YZ80 that had a handmade fiberglass gas tank painted to look like a Husky. His uncle built the bike for him and I think he still has it. It looked really trick and many people thought that Husky was builing an 80cc bike, it looked that good.
Dave927
11/20/2010 10:26pm

Billy Paxton (ERG?)
Frank Lamp (RPM)
Jim Lowe (RPM and Husky)
Jamie Bruce (E.C. Birt?)

Thanks.

Matt
JimmyD123 wrote:
Ernie Horvath rode a 1977 YZ80 that had a handmade fiberglass gas tank painted to look like a Husky. His uncle built the bike for him...
Ernie Horvath rode a 1977 YZ80 that had a handmade fiberglass gas tank painted to look like a Husky. His uncle built the bike for him and I think he still has it. It looked really trick and many people thought that Husky was builing an 80cc bike, it looked that good.
Ernie is my brother. I was wondering when someone was going to mention his name. I have a pic of him on his Husky 80 at Portland, I believe Lisa Akin (#963) is in the pic too. I'll see if I can dig a couple more of them up. BTW...my uncle and dad both made the bike. My dad did all of the fiberglass work, uncle made the tank and painted it, and they also custom made just about every part for the chassis on the bike (frame, shocks, triple clamps).
Ernie is still living in michigan but does not race or ride anymore. He has two daughters, one who plays college softball and the other plays softball for high school. Both are really good. He says once his girls are done with college, he may get back on a bike again. I still ride alot and race from time to time.
Dave927
11/20/2010 10:36pm
My dad recently totally restored the Husky 80 back to running form after sitting in boxes for about 32 years. I found a pic of the bike from when he raced at the Pontiac Silverdome.
Dave927
11/20/2010 10:44pm
Here it is after restoration.
Wahoo214
1/10/2011 11:43am
I remember racing against Erine on that bike. It was/is very cool.
Friday
2/20/2011 1:04pm
Anyone ever race with a kid named Bryan Moose? He wasn't that fast but pretty consistent top 3 guy in District 11 from about 76-81.

Post a reply to: Ohio & Michigan Riders

The Latest