New to me 1980 CR125R

Edited Date/Time 11/29/2014 9:45am
Hi guys, new here to vintage. Been scouring the local classified, passed up a few good deals along the way as I was learning. Landed an 1980 CR125R complete. Was left outside so pretty ratty looking but I'm under 200.00 so far. Only thing I have to hassel with is getting it registered at one point as I intend to race it.

It actually starts and runs but of course I will do a nuts and bolts rebuild. Only thing left to check out is the tranny.

My question is what suspension upgrades can I do to make it usable for my medium 175-185 weight ?
The original shocks are still in back but will need either rebuild with new springs or outright replacement to
new aftermarket units. As fore the front forks the tubes are badly pitted. I don't feel like having them rechromed,
would rather put on new tubes for a complete rebuild or fit a set of 82 CR25-480 forks which seems to be
a popular mod from what I've read.

Any suggestions there ?

Here is the present day pic :

|
pete24
11/7/2014 3:59pm
thats nothing ten grand cant fix
11/7/2014 4:18pm
Actually I'm hoping to be in under 1500 when all is said and done.
I'm a machinist and can work with my hands.
EL Sammo
11/7/2014 7:04pm
Looks like a good starting point, the suspension will depend on your plan for the bike ie do you want it to remain standard or eligible to race in a certain class?

You may be able to use later model forks or at least the internals for the front end, some CR gurus on here will know more. rear shocks it sounds like you are already on the right track with.

The Shop

BigAl
11/7/2014 8:23pm
I've come to realize a decent raceable restore is $2500 minimum - one that looks good

Tires, tubes, plastics, bearings, cables, on and on. Motor alone is probably $750, gaskets, seals, bearings, rod, piston, rings, clutch, etc

MaxPower
11/8/2014 6:53am
Has anyone actually come in at the amount they had budgeted for a restored vintage bike?

Originally I planned on a top end and fresh meats for my bike. I kept looking at it in the garage and thinking about it at work. I cant leave well enough alone . I set 1200.00 aside for my bike. On paper I had 150 left over. I don't even want to total the amount I had spent. But it wasnt close it to1200.00. I'm not always a disciplined person either . But once the bike starts taking shape and you have shiny plastic and memories on the stand in the garage it becomes a little easier to click on the buy it now.

I keep telling myself the next vintage bike in my garage will be a total runner. I won't lie, the build was fun and rewarding. I didn't have to lay out the total amount at one time. I feel restoring your own ride unless it came to you with 10 hours on it and sat in heated dry storage for the past 25 years, that you aren't saving money If you are building it right. Racing takes alot of time and money. I dont want to spent 200 on fuel, 100 on gate fees and give up a weekend to have a bike that misses 3rd gear ,DNF or be bounced over the bars in a rough section because i didnt spent the cash to have good suspension. If you have 1500 budgeted unless you are machining your own shocks on material you get for free you are going to spend 2/3 of that for new rear suspension.

Old men that race motocross are inherently cheap asses or maybe even stubborn idiots.It's rare if someone is going to pay 4000 for an old bike . We would rather build it and take the hit at 2000 , eat our invested time, lose hundreds at best maybe hope to almost break even but probably not so we can go buy some more old junk . I haven't a clue how East Coast Vintage sells pretty darn nice ready to go bikes at the prices they do and make money. They must have a crew of illegal Mexicans with cans of PJ1 satin black and Simple Green cleaning up bikes in a basement in North Carolina.

Im not saying not to restore the CR. Im talking in general.The best way I feel is to find a low hour bike. Pay the price. 3,4,5k .whatever. The bike won't be metal fatigued or have cross threaded seat bolts. The spokes not have to be tightened with 2 vice grips. Fuel won't poor out the vent tubes. People wil, say "that's too nice to ride" . But your time will be spent riding not driving to the powdercoaters or scrolling through eBay for a shift fork. In no way is this a bitchfest just my reality I've accepted.

I like the 1980 Cr. They were fast and turned good. I like it even more with the 79 metal tank like Neumanns Honda.
barkhard696
11/8/2014 7:20am
>Has anyone actually come in at the amount they had budgeted for a restored vintage bike?

EXCELLENT post, MP. There is just no such thing as a cheap restoration, in part because it's difficult to be completely rational/disciplined in spending, and also because there is almost invariably a NOS part (or parts) that take(s) a lot of eBay scouring and cash outlay to acquire.

The better the starting point, the better the end project will probably turn out. Its essentially axiomatic that it's cheaper to pay upfront for a low hour example than to rebuild a toasted core. And yes, expect to lose your shirt if the time comes to sell the bike.

This is still a great hobby and I wouldn't change anything-- including my choice to come back after almost 25 years. You are right, we are all a little bit touched in the head!
11/8/2014 7:29am
Wow man, thanks Max, actually I have not yet committed to the bike. I went and saw it, turned around and ran. I called again yesterday because it is still for sale and is tempting me. But you are so right, and this morning I got a shocker, the guy I hire every year to clean the edges of my land has again cut more branches off my trees putting me in a foul mood today.

You are right, my time is worth as lot, I own / operate a tool die shop and I'm already spread thin and resources are thin this year. I truly appreciate your warning and will heed it. Another strike against the bike is no papers, and in socialiist québec here you need a plate to even trailer the thing. More hassel and aggravation saved.

Thanks man, I'm not calling the guy back. I'll focus on my 426 and husky instead.

Done !
MaxPower
11/8/2014 11:01am
I am not saying not to get it. it would be very rewarding to restore that load into a fresh new race machine Just don't underestimate the effort and money you have to put into it to get it how you would like it. I speak from my own experience.
11/8/2014 11:24am
Thanks man, I hear you.

My obsession started out with an attraction to the orange Can-Ams followed by the realization that I'd be better off with an air cooled YZ for racing as my background is YZ's and there is so much support
for them out there. I already have a '99 400F so any watercooled Yamaha would be a futile. I used to love my
'79 125 for ease of maintenance / simplicity and the fact that generation of aircools were so light. The Honda CR came up
locally and for a very cheap entry point I could have it sitting in my shed. But I'm not that exited about it other than the
price and the great red looks, I'm just not a Honda fan although I used to love riding a friends '78 CR250 with long
legs by Fox air. That bike handled,was a brute compared to my flyweight YZ125F. Think I'll just calm down and wait for
another '78 to '81 or so air cooled 125-250-400-465 YZ to come up locally or at least within a few hours drive.
Nothing too complicated and not trashed and left outside for garbage like the above 1980 CR.

If anything I have been learning and getting more firm on staying with the YZ's
11/11/2014 8:12am Edited Date/Time 11/11/2014 8:14am
Well I had a bi-polar moment and bought the thing for 150 ! Have some original ebay forks bought buy it now shipping include on the way in, that and a seat with triples for 20.00 The monoshock air cooled YZ are more my style but that is $$ and I already have the 400 into 450 hurricane '05 look in the works, that and my TE510 suspension to work over. So this will be my first vintage build up, slowly but surely with original reworked forks. Can always upgrade to bigger forks later if when the need arises. Rear shock I'll probably go after market and do that last. Frame I can paint myself using eurethane automotive paint with hardener, I've gotten handy painting my shop machinery that way. More later, and thanks again for putting up with me. I'm not one that likes spending money ( I'm a saver ) so this is the best way for me. The motor tranny frame are solid, everything is there so can't be too wrong. Plus rare model, nice to look at even though I'm not a Honda guy and plus is I can race EVO with it ( air cooled / drum brakes / twin shocks )
11/11/2014 8:28am
Hey I found a bike test on the '80 CR125 a while back but cannot locate it again. I think it was either MXA or DB ? Anyone have it ?
Tdub13
11/11/2014 9:37am
For $150 you can't go wrong. You may find that the best route to a restore or rebuild is to find yet another one and combine the best parts. Take your time and take it apart and evaluate it before hitting the "buy it now" button a kajillion times. My worst downfall!
My '79 YZ125 isn't pretty, but I did manage to get it together and racing for less than $800. The problem is that I spent that again on the suspension and spare parts since then. So, I do believe it can be done with a lot of discipline. At least in the beginning. Smile
I'm a YZ guy too. I can't allow myself to buy another brand since all my buckets of spare parts are Yamaha stuff. This is another way of saving money: Sticking with one brand. Good luck in Hondaland, I hope it treats you kindly!
newmann
11/11/2014 10:35am
You guys give up way too easy. I've gotten sucked into rebuilding that exact bike at least 15 times. Maybe not that exact bike, but 15 in similar stages of rot. Laughing

It wasn't always the right thing to do but it got done regardless. Race ready and restored are two totally different things. Once you start making things pretty all bets are off!!
sgthubbard#60
11/11/2014 10:43am Edited Date/Time 11/11/2014 10:49am
Thanks to Newmann I got to dump a huge pile of dough into this roach. I thank him everyday for it. Lol

pete24
11/11/2014 10:53am Edited Date/Time 11/11/2014 10:54am
before

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

after, and yes Newmann ive since fixed the decals and got a real ing cover

11/11/2014 11:26am
You guys crack me up, it's all Newman's fault ! hehe
Mine looks about like Pete's bike.
This place is like an episode of Seinfeld..
pete24
11/11/2014 11:31am
my before pik is actually a roach i traded to Hubbard, after i stole the ing cover, but mine was just as bad, and with any luck Hubbard will spend thousands on that shit box
11/11/2014 11:36am
hehe

Hey where do you guys get wide footpegs for these bikes ?
The narrowness of the stock pegs is scary !
11/11/2014 11:37am
The best thing to do is start with a bike so obscure, that virtually no spare parts are available. If it is totally clapped out, that is even better.

This is my 1969 Indian Boy Racer. Got it new for Christmas that year. Lost track of it in '71 due to the folks divorce, until 1984, when I found it while settling my fathers estate. It apparently became the neighborhood bike.

It has a Jawa engine. Want engine parts ? Send off to Germany. Cosmetics ? Forget it. Rumor has it Clymer's widow basically threw all the inventory out following Floyd's death in 1970.

I have made a great contact in Michigan who has been reproducing things for them on a very limited basis.

When you order, be sure the wallet is heavily padded.

One day, I hope to have it together. It does still run, amazingly.

11/11/2014 11:42am
This is not my bike, but about the same condition as I saw mine for the last time in '71.

sgthubbard#60
11/11/2014 11:43am
Damn near 3/4 of my collection is Newmann's fault but like I said I thank him everyday. Lol. Could be a drunk or meth addict but instead I dump my money into old bikes that make me smile and will give my kid something to sell the second I die. Lol.

No wide pegs on my scoots, gotta be period correct for me. However check http://vmxracing.com/vmx-main.htm for most all you'll be looking for including wide pegs.

And yeah, Pete cost me a solid $5k by pushing that roached 77 125 out of his van into my driveway. Thanks Pete!
11/11/2014 12:08pm Edited Date/Time 11/11/2014 12:10pm
NLD, that bike of your is famous ! It's the first thing that comes up whenever one searches that year / model.
What are you working on now ? How do you get these things done while in college ??
Nice job for sure, but mine will be a clean running / working example.

Thanks for the link Hubbard !

The Indian above looks a little like the bike in the film with the old guy from AUS, same make I gather ?
What was it, last Indian ?
newmann
11/11/2014 2:56pm
My 80 model CR125 came to be from an internet garage sale site when we first found the internet. Funny shit, had the kid mail me photos, yes mail. Drove 400 miles to the back woods of Mississippi until we heard banjo's. There the bike sits complete with rebel flag stickers on the front and rear fenders, rebel flag front number plate and cross bar pad. Went to bounce on it and the forks were solid, no movement. Kid asks if I want to test ride, I politely decline. I didn't even crank it, just handed the money and went to load it up. Go to tie down the rigid front end and it won't compress any at all so I reach up and attempt to maybe let some air out of the forks??? Fork oil or some other substance shoots clear over the roof of the truck, down the windshield and hood. So I tie the rebel rouser down solid while the kid stands there almost in tears. I'm wondering where I'm going to stop to peel all the confederate decals off when he finally breaks down and asks if he gave me back some money, could he keep his rebel cross bar pad! It was hard not to laugh but I told him I would remove the number plate for his collection also and he could keep his money.

After putting some decent forks and shocks on it, I thrashed it for about five years on the original engine. Finally broke down when the oldest son started riding it and gave the old roach a facelift to make it look presentable.

Diamond Don's action

Me chasing him in practice at DD.

11/11/2014 3:32pm Edited Date/Time 11/11/2014 3:34pm
Thanks for the post Newman, hell of a nice bike. Kind of what I'm aiming for, but gradually.
Those are 250/480 forks I gather ? Nice Ohlins too. I called Thor suspension about it and
he mentioned unbalancing the bike with a heavy front end. How does it feel set-up like that ?
I can only imagine it must be way plush. I recall the DB or MXA test saying the stock rear shocks
faded quick and the front forks needed work. I do have a set of stock replacement eBay non rusted
forks on way in. The 480 fork sets seem great but the weight scared me off. I'm still unsure
weather to invest in the stock suspension ( emulators, springs etc. ) or replace it outright
right off the bat and just eBay / trade the stock stuff.

That you in the pic or one of your sons ? Looks fast, nice pro style elbows up !
Do people stand much at all in vintage ? I know my 426 is more of a standing bike, seems
the more forward I am the faster I go on the thing, I let it push me on the balls of my feet
per a Gary Semics riding tip.

Oh just read the captions, you are on the monoshock YZ, cool !
Bonecrush
11/11/2014 4:18pm
It would be well worth your time to also call Clark Jones at Noleen J-6 in Victorville, CA (760) 955-8757, and get his opinion on the suspension and what your options are.

His shop is doing quite a bit of Vintage work, and he is still an active VMX racer himself and involved in the VMX community.

Post a reply to: New to me 1980 CR125R

The Latest