New to forum...87 KX250 Rebuild

MXM
10/13/2014 7:12am
I love that you cared enough to make a kickstand for the bike! I restored an 87 KX125 last year and finding the OEM stand was very tough. Since you made the stand, could you put a stopper on it to keep it level like the oem ones? Just trying to give you a heads up in case you never got a good photo of a stock one. Love those 87's!

10/13/2014 7:38am Edited Date/Time 10/13/2014 7:41am
MXM wrote:
I love that you cared enough to make a kickstand for the bike! I restored an 87 KX125 last year and finding the OEM stand was...
I love that you cared enough to make a kickstand for the bike! I restored an 87 KX125 last year and finding the OEM stand was very tough. Since you made the stand, could you put a stopper on it to keep it level like the oem ones? Just trying to give you a heads up in case you never got a good photo of a stock one. Love those 87's!

Thanks...

I originally had it level like yours but I was concerned that it might hit something when I drive in trails, so I made another bracket than put it higher.

I'm not aiming for an "original" look, but I was tired of putting it up on a 5 gal pale every time I had to work on it.

At some point I'll get the uni trak sticker along with the radiator cover stickers.

BTW, your build was the first post I read when I found this site....I have to say you spent "a lot" more $$$ on your build and it shows.

I just can't justify spending that much, although my wasn't cheap either.....

BTW, do you know what oversized rotors will fit? I'm trying to match them up based on the inner diameter and bolt pattern diameter of later KX 250's like a 94. I'd also like to use a 2 piston caliper and know I'll have to made a bracket of some sort.

dinky,
MXM
10/13/2014 8:15am
I have no idea what will work for your brake setup ideas. I only restore these back to stock and try not to think to much about changing them. I agree the stand in stock form would probably hit something if the bike was ridden, it stick out like 6 inches, no wonder they were all taken off and thrown away.
10/13/2014 8:42am Edited Date/Time 10/13/2014 8:42am
Thanks,

I'll post more pics as I make progress.

dinky,

The Shop

10/13/2014 9:15am Edited Date/Time 10/13/2014 9:16am
There's an 87 kx250 about a mile from me that runs but is a piece of shit. Guy won't budge from $500. I've bought almost new bikes for that price. It's a cool bike though.
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
10/13/2014 10:41am
Welcome! And thanks for posting your pictures. Looking forward to seeing it finished
10/13/2014 8:18pm Edited Date/Time 10/13/2014 8:18pm
Welcome DinkyG - good to see your build thread crossposted here from KXRiders. Lots of smart people here too!

Are you hoping to go with an OEM style seat cover? I got one for my 89 a few months ago and it was pretty affordable. Now I'm thinking about replacing the foam while I'm at it.
10/14/2014 4:50am Edited Date/Time 10/14/2014 4:52am
Welcome DinkyG - good to see your build thread crossposted here from KXRiders. Lots of smart people here too! Are you hoping to go with an...
Welcome DinkyG - good to see your build thread crossposted here from KXRiders. Lots of smart people here too!

Are you hoping to go with an OEM style seat cover? I got one for my 89 a few months ago and it was pretty affordable. Now I'm thinking about replacing the foam while I'm at it.
Yep, going to order a seat cover, but after my plastics come in. My foam seems to be OK, so most likely I just get the cover.

Where did you get your seat cover from?

I saw this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-KX-KX125-250-500-1986-87-Stock-Seat-Co…

And I'm hoping he still has some once I'm ready to order.

dinky,
10/14/2014 6:15am
Yep, going to order a seat cover, but after my plastics come in. My foam seems to be OK, so most likely I just get the...
Yep, going to order a seat cover, but after my plastics come in. My foam seems to be OK, so most likely I just get the cover.

I saw this:

dinky,
That is not an OEM replica cover for the 86 or 87 models (both had versions of "KX" on the seat cover). In 1988 they put "Kawasaki" on the seat cover.

This is the correct seat cover for a 1987 KX250:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-KX125-KX250-KX500-1987-SEAT-COVER-KVRO…
10/14/2014 7:46am Edited Date/Time 10/14/2014 7:49am
Yep, going to order a seat cover, but after my plastics come in. My foam seems to be OK, so most likely I just get the...

I saw this:

dinky,
That is not an OEM replica cover for the 86 or 87 models (both had versions of "KX" on the seat cover). In 1988 they put...
That is not an OEM replica cover for the 86 or 87 models (both had versions of "KX" on the seat cover). In 1988 they put "Kawasaki" on the seat cover.

This is the correct seat cover for a 1987 KX250:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-KX125-KX250-KX500-1987-SEAT-COVER-KVRO…
I know the one I chose was not accurate, but I don't mind.....

I also looked at the one you pointed out...but it's overseas and I usually don't buy overseas.

If it's good quality, then I just might go for it.

Shipping for me in NJ says will take a month...is that accurate?

Also, if the cover is not molded, can you install it without any wrinkles? And it doesn't look like it got a molded front or back...so how difficult is it to put on and get the "KX" letters in the right spot on the seat?

dinky,
10/14/2014 7:56am
Pretty sure I got my replica seat cover from a domestic seller. At work - won't be able to pull up the info till later tonight.
MXM
10/14/2014 5:09pm
Those seat covers are from Thailand and yes they take a few weeks to arrive. They are very good covers and are exact replicas of the stock cover. I have used them an all my bikes, they are however tough to put on and really take some patience, Once done they are worth the trouble.

MaxPower
10/16/2014 1:42am
That is who made my seat cover also. If I were to get another from him I'd ask to give me a little extra material to play with. I feel it's better than OEM
10/16/2014 6:07pm
I got the plastics today, and a new stator.

I had to transfer the timing marks from my original stator to the new one.

I wish they came with these timing marks.

Also, the wires on the new stator come about 1in or 2in short...not sure why since it's a "direct" replacement.

Anyway, here she is,

dinky,

MaxPower
10/16/2014 7:29pm
I see the RRP sticker on your forks Dinky Guitar. Are you in north Jersey? If Rossini did your forks I'm positive they work better than stock. Did you notice if your cylinder was ported? Rossini used to do Tim Ferrys motors. A friend had his YZ125 worked on by him. That bike was the fastest 125 I've ever seen. Im liking early KXs more and more. I kinda over looked them in the past.There are lots of Hondas around. It's a little different to have a Kawi. At the time we didn't notice but there are lots of little works influenced parts on those bikes like the spring preload adjusters in the fork caps and the funky 2 part axle.
The timing marks would be nice, but I would think if you get it close to where the other stator was located you cab play around in different locations. You will know when it's right by the feel
Before you start it just check the spark with the plug against the cylinder. I'm curious Iif the size of your spark is any stronger with the new stator
10/17/2014 4:56am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2014 4:57am
MaxPower wrote:
I see the RRP sticker on your forks Dinky Guitar. Are you in north Jersey? If Rossini did your forks I'm positive they work better than...
I see the RRP sticker on your forks Dinky Guitar. Are you in north Jersey? If Rossini did your forks I'm positive they work better than stock. Did you notice if your cylinder was ported? Rossini used to do Tim Ferrys motors. A friend had his YZ125 worked on by him. That bike was the fastest 125 I've ever seen. Im liking early KXs more and more. I kinda over looked them in the past.There are lots of Hondas around. It's a little different to have a Kawi. At the time we didn't notice but there are lots of little works influenced parts on those bikes like the spring preload adjusters in the fork caps and the funky 2 part axle.
The timing marks would be nice, but I would think if you get it close to where the other stator was located you cab play around in different locations. You will know when it's right by the feel
Before you start it just check the spark with the plug against the cylinder. I'm curious Iif the size of your spark is any stronger with the new stator
Yes, I'm in North Jersey....The RRP was a funny store because my friend and I took a ride there about 20 or so years ago. At that time my friend was into dirt bikes....

He's the one who referred them to me recently. So when I went down there to have my rod installed, he saw his RRP stickers on the pictures I was showing him..I'm guessing he was the owner.

I got the bike for free from my cousin who lives about 10 miles down from RRP the beginning of this year. I'm not sure what work they actually did on the bike, but looking inside the motor, I'd say they at least honed the cylinder and did the top end. I could still see the honing marks when I looked inside the jug....

About the stator, I noticed a stronger and more consistent spark when I was testing for spark.

The bike started and seemed to start easier, but I'm not sure if it will fix the hard starting problem I have. I'll have to play with it more this weekend.

BTW, do you know of places to ride in North Jersey?

dinky,

kevin stearns
1/30/2015 12:15pm
There's an 87 kx250 about a mile from me that runs but is a piece of shit. Guy won't budge from $500. I've bought almost new...
There's an 87 kx250 about a mile from me that runs but is a piece of shit. Guy won't budge from $500. I've bought almost new bikes for that price. It's a cool bike though.
i bought one for 400 in a crate only had wheels on it. it has the works motor like jeff ward rode in 87.
kevin stearns
1/30/2015 12:17pm
I got the plastics today, and a new stator. I had to transfer the timing marks from my original stator to the new one. I wish...
I got the plastics today, and a new stator.

I had to transfer the timing marks from my original stator to the new one.

I wish they came with these timing marks.

Also, the wires on the new stator come about 1in or 2in short...not sure why since it's a "direct" replacement.

Anyway, here she is,

dinky,

looks great. im gonna put upside down forks on mine.
1/30/2015 12:58pm
Thanks,

I took all the side plastics off since I had a starting issue....I replaced my worn kick start lever with a brand new one which helped, increased my jets for the cold weather and got a crash course in "how to start a 2 stroke".

Probably, 85% my fault. Now a pay attention to TDC on the kick start lever and kick it like you mean it.

In 20 deg weather I was able to start it in 4-5 kicks.

I still have a ways to go....need seat cover, front rotors, brake lever, tires, and other things I would "like" to upgrade.

dinky,
1/31/2015 10:11pm
The new plastic looks nice. Gonna go with a reproduction seat cover for the 87 KX?
Cancerman
2/1/2015 8:40pm
I have a friend who has a PC pipe for the 87 KX250. It's not super pretty but it's functional, I believe.
MaxPower
2/5/2015 7:14pm
I needed help with a seat cover and wrote Vintage Roost. They went out of thier way to help me as if I were a riding buddy.
9/20/2018 12:06pm
MXM wrote:
Those seat covers are from Thailand and yes they take a few weeks to arrive. They are very good covers and are exact replicas of the...
Those seat covers are from Thailand and yes they take a few weeks to arrive. They are very good covers and are exact replicas of the stock cover. I have used them an all my bikes, they are however tough to put on and really take some patience, Once done they are worth the trouble.

MXM do you know if those Thailand covers accept tall foam?
9/20/2018 12:08pm
Cancerman wrote:
I have a friend who has a PC pipe for the 87 KX250. It's not super pretty but it's functional, I believe.
Cancerman can you see if your friend still has that 87 KX250 pipe? Interested.

Post a reply to: New to forum...87 KX250 Rebuild

The Latest