Need some info on Profab

NetMXer
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 1:18am
I bought a 74 YZ250A the other day which has laid down shocks and air forks. I came across a picture on the net which showed a Profab YZ250A with an identical looking setup and would like to get more info on it to see if they may have made the mods to my bike.

|
Mini Elsinore
12/16/2010 8:42am
NetMXer wrote:
I bought a 74 YZ250A the other day which has laid down shocks and air forks. I came across a picture on the net which showed...
I bought a 74 YZ250A the other day which has laid down shocks and air forks. I came across a picture on the net which showed a Profab YZ250A with an identical looking setup and would like to get more info on it to see if they may have made the mods to my bike.

Slow Vet (Mike Bierman) used to work for them. I haven't seen him on the boards lately, but he would likely be a good source. Exfactorywrench also worked at Pro-Fab, I believe---and he is still on the board. Pro-Fab was waaaaaay ahead of its time. That's all I've got for ya.....
newmann
12/16/2010 9:17am
Didn't C&J Racing Frames build a lot of the Pro-Fab stuff? If you frame was actually modified by them, all of the welding will be meticulous and it will look professionally done in all respects. There were a lot of laydown kits available back then for do it yourselfers. They didn't always look so well! Very popular mod.

NetMXer
12/16/2010 9:21am
This looks like a quality job. Not only did they move the top shock mounts, they also welded in bracing where there would be weak points in the frame. Once I tear the bike down, maybe I'll find a trademark stamped somewhere but it's not obvious now.
1/17/2011 12:12pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2011 12:14pm
Hello, the bike and rider in the Profab picture are of myself and my 1st of 2 Profab bikes. The one you see in picture had a complete Profab frame. The configuation was fairly close to a stock frame up front. It had a very nice oval tube steel swingarm and the welds on that thing were the best I have ever seen on anything, The frame was about 23 lbs with the swingarm and shaved about 7-8 pounds off a stocker plus it was stiffer as well. The second bike had the same config frame except it has a steering stem made to take timken bearing as the bike I used to build it was a OW12 works bike I got from Canada in mid 1975. The works Yamahas at that time had a frame breakage problem and this OW12 was no exception but since I knew Pete Wilkens well I called him up and he built up a frame to take the factory parts. He also built all the factory works team frames for Weinhert, Karsmakers etc because of the breaking issue. I did not use the monosock setup as the works shock was much different than any of the stock shocks and no parts were available. The bike weighed 185lbs dry and was incredible...take a look at mxworksbike.com and look at the pictures etc on the OW13 bike Tom Kratzer had, my OW12 was it's sister and was originally ridden by Tom Kratzer on the Canadian Factory team...it was quite a bike unfortunately I sold it for next to nothing and it is long gone...but worth a fortune if I can find it.

The Shop

NetMXer
1/17/2011 1:11pm
Russ, thanks for the information. When I started this topic, I hadn't torn the bike down in order to inspect it yet. After tearing it down, it was fairly obvious the frame modification wasn't done by a skilled craftsman so I doubted it was done by Profab. I'm planning on cutting our the sections of the frame that were modified and replacing them with straight tubing so the bike is eligible to run in the vintage class. I'm not a skilled craftsman either but I'm sure my welding will look better than what's there now.
Highsider
1/17/2011 8:00pm
Hey guys- While we are on this subject, I need to get in on this. Can anyone narrow down & identify the brand of frame. I can't find any markings. All I can see is the oval-tube swing arm is 1.5" longer than a stock TT500, has no chain adjustment marks and is running an Up-Tite tensioner.
Newmann has been helping find clues, also. Thanks!

4/18/2011 11:56am Edited Date/Time 4/18/2011 11:57am
This is the guy that had the Profab bike in the earlier pics. I know this is old but I wanted to talk about that swingarm on the TT500 in case you come back here. It does look like a Profab arm. The oval tubing and the way the lower shock mount is boxed in and designed inc. the hole drilled in the gusset looks Profab for sure...
david631
5/25/2011 9:10am
pro fab was a good shop. very reasonable. I had my 74 red frame cz 400 done there. they moved the shocks foward on the top and bottom for like 95 dollars. even shot some red paint on their work.

Post a reply to: Need some info on Profab

The Latest