My 97 RM250 made rideable again/pics

Edited Date/Time 4/21/2014 12:19am
A few months ago I traded an 03 kdx200 I(i had restored to a very nice bike) to a 97 rm250. After s frame off inspection I realized the rm had no bearings in the linkage and swingarm, among other terrible acts of Maintenence lethargy. After 3 months of work, its finally rideable! I rebuilt the shock with new seal head and seals/oil, replaced both tires with hard terrain new tires, tapped all bolt holes for strong threads, new cables, front/rear wheel bearings seals and brakes, had to buy a 96 complete linkage because the old linkage had to be cut off, levers, and other more minor parts. I even bought Another set of forks because it was cheaper than buying just the broken rebound adjuster for the right fork.
This Definitely wasnt meant to be an impressive restore; just make it reliable so I could ride without breakdowns. As a Final good bit of luck, the seat cover was ripped And shredded- a close look revealed that underneath the shitty cover was the original stock cover and it looked almost unused! Graphics to be added soon.

|
Schwanz22
4/14/2014 5:13pm
Wow!! Looks like a new bike!!! Great job my friend!!! Hope she rides as good as she looks! I always loved that body style!
4/14/2014 5:41pm
It runs awesome! I finished up everything today like vent hoses, chain slack, muffler repack, and tightening hoses. I had to fab up an expansion chamber stay as well. Oddly, the 96 linkage I put on it has a different rising rate, so I hope it eorks correctly as it seems to so far. Thanks for the comment! Even though its not a high dollar resto, im still proud of the work I did. I wish I couldve found the "before" pics and it would've been more impressive lol.

The Shop

husky125
4/15/2014 1:58pm
Nice bike ACE! I have a '96 that was somewhat in the same condition linkage wise. It took me 2 weeks to get the swingarm pivot out, but now it's one of my favorite bikes!

4/16/2014 8:18am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2014 8:31pm
It took me 4 literal days to cut off that bolt that connects linkage to frame. Thought it would never come off! Those bolts are tough to cut through. Those retro graphics kick ass by the way.
husky125
4/17/2014 6:15am
Thanks! I have a 96 125 also, I run the AMA vintage stuff in the "non-current" class.

Kidkawie
4/17/2014 6:36am
One of the most fun times I ever had riding track was on a 96 RM125 I bought of CL for $260. Sweetest chassis.

4/17/2014 5:09pm
If I could find blue fork boots id do a retro look with blue frame, seat and boots. Only found black fork boots though.
4/20/2014 2:05pm
If I could find blue fork boots id do a retro look with blue frame, seat and boots. Only found black fork boots though.
Tough to find blue boots now, although I have seen solid blue graphic wrapped around the stock fork guard / lower number plate.
4/20/2014 10:37pm
Tough to find blue boots now, although I have seen solid blue graphic wrapped around the stock fork guard / lower number plate.
Ive resigned myself to black fork boots. Id originally planned on fitting usd forks, but this suspension is light years better than any ive ever used(as far as my skill and type of riding), so the conventional 49mm are staying and fork boots/ new numberplate added later. Im having way too much fun riding every day to park it and start restoring it hard core, so itll be a while before I start ordering parts for it. just a solid, fun bike.
4/21/2014 12:19am
Daystar makes two shades of Blue fork boots in all sizes, here >>>>>http://www.daystarmx.com/productlisting.php?make=MX Products&prodcat=Fork+Boots&selMake=&selModel=&selYear=&txtPartNo=&page=3

Post a reply to: My 97 RM250 made rideable again/pics

The Latest