My 1980 CR's ready to go!!

Edited Date/Time 5/4/2015 12:30pm
Got my 1980 CR 250 ready to go racing at Hawkstone Park tomorrow! Its been a crazy few weeks so ive been burning the midnight oil! I only got the tank back from the paint shop at 5 this afternoon! Got it fitted, fresh fuel and she fired up second kick!

It's had a complete engine rebuild (all new bearings, seals and piston), fresh powder coating, new plastics, seat foam and cover, new grafix, etc. I've re-done the silencer, the carbon tube only lasts a season before it needs replacing! And we've modified the frame, adding in triangulation pieces in from the bottom cross tube to lower frame tubes and we've completely re-fabbed the chain roller/trq arm mounting area. The whole lot looks alot more "modern" and should be great improvment over the stock 30yr old set up.

I've got new triple trees for it as well but I've not got round to making the stem yet! (these are the very first set I ever made and I've developed and refined them quite a bit over the last 5 yrs!) The only bits I haven't re-done are the hubs and rims but they still look pretty good.

All the fastners are Titanium now, all with the correct hexagon sizes and thread lengths. And with RC style shallow, dished heads. The axles are also Titanium.

I last rode her in October, so this afternoon was the first time I've even sat on her since then! Hearing her fire up and riding round the yard was awesome!! All loaded up and ready to race tomorrow!! I CANT WAIT!!

|
5/1/2015 2:39pm
Super nice ! How long did it take to get the KLP swingarm ?
Thanks!

That arms about 5yrs old now. Took about 3 months-ish to arrive I think. We've had about 6 off him, usually around 4-5 months wait. We're looking at doing our own arms in the future.

The Shop

PADDY'S LAD
5/1/2015 4:53pm
That's just bad ass! And the fact that your going to race it makes it even more badass!
Enjoy!
Cheers, Pat
Mike P.
5/1/2015 5:13pm
Great job and I'm glad to see you are going to ride it! I too are starting to ride the bikes i build instead of just having them lay around as moto art/eye candy...well done and have fun on it!
5/2/2015 12:21pm
Awesome to see it ready to go do battle for another season.

It's all the details that make it such a well built bike.
Those details don't matter unless it's used.
5/2/2015 1:53pm
Thanks everyone. I love this bike so much. It's rides like a modern bike, but its a million times prettier! I could just sit a look at her for hours! It been rebuilt a few time in the last 5 yrs but this it the first time I've ended up doing more than one thing at once! Frame, engine tanks etc. It's usually been "shit, we've had to weld the frame.... thats gotta re-powder coated now!" sort of stuff. Its nice to have it all looking so fresh again!

Today was ROUGH!! I probably couldn't have picked a tougher track for a first ride in 6 months.... Cold, wet and so rough. I rode like a bit of gimp, but I had a few laps in each race when I got my shit together! I had a few moments as well! I tried to double into the bomb hole (if you've ever watched a race a Hawkstone you'll know what I mean!) and kinda got it wrong... The landing was so hard I've bent the foot peg brackets! (I'm really gonna have to make some beefier ones!!) And it pulled the bars down flat against the yokes!!... Yeh, Im a little "sore" as well...

Bath time for her tomorrow.... if I can still move and haven't completely seized up over night!

Stevie
MaxPower
5/3/2015 9:56am
More than I like the bike I like the fact you are younger than most everyone into vintage and have an appreciation for the era as if you lived it. The tank gives it an entirely different look

Post a reply to: My 1980 CR's ready to go!!

The Latest