Moto-X-Fox 77 RM125 Richter build

Mike P.
Edited Date/Time 2/19/2015 10:38am
All, I am officially pulling out of the bike building business, but before I do I am seriously considering building a water-cooled Richter replica 77 RM125. I know at least one other person has built one of these replicas and while I have built many bikes, I have never personally built a replica of anything in the past (all my builds have been my own creations in an effort to improve what the teams built back in the day while keeping the bike true to his heritage or era...for the most part). I have seen many very good attempts at this bike, but really only one seemed to hit the mark (as I see it..sorry if I offend anyone as it was not intentional). So If I build this Richter replica, it will be exact (as best I can build it). I have some of the parts already and I've decided to take the 77 RM I already built and use it as my donor (yes the frame is powered coated yellow, so I will probably get another frame). Below is a picture of the donor bike and before anybody asks, yes I probably will sell the trick parts on the bike on ebay at some point, but as of right now, I have not made a decision to build the Richter bike, I am simply exploring the idea, but because I like challenges and doing things most people would rather pass on, the Richter bike interests me. So far I have the tank, plastic, Simons forks, correct Fox air shocks, sprockets & chain so I have some work ahead of me, but this would be a long term build so I'm in no hurry. Would love to get some insight from others on this build. Mike

-
|
sandman768
2/16/2015 1:55pm

if you move forward with your project, get this book from Amazon, lots of usefull tips & photos of the Motocross Fox team bikes. Even has porting specs from the team bikes.
Mike P.
2/16/2015 2:30pm
Sandman768,

Thanks for the tip!
tydog
2/16/2015 3:20pm
Cool pics coming soon! I believe that you have already had email correspondence with a few guys who have some experience with "the one"
Good luck sir!
tydog
2/16/2015 4:20pm
I would like to amend my above post without an edit due to the inevitable stupidity that always comes around.
I have seen numerous attempts at the Chuck/Bob creation. The one that I speak of is the one that got it right, at least IMHO. It is also the one that found a nice comfy new home where many could view it.
Again just my humble opinion.

The Shop

Mike P.
2/16/2015 4:26pm
Not to sound ignorant, but I am new to the forum, who are Chuck and Bob?
Mike P.
2/16/2015 4:28pm
Don't i feel dumb now…you mean the tuner of Pat Richters bike and Bob Fox…
Mike P.
2/16/2015 4:38pm
And you are right, there have been many attempts. My reasons for staying away from this bike is that water-cooled head as I'm one of those "all or nothing" guys, but I think i can find someone to get it done. I appauled any one taking on this task and some of the bikes (non-water-cooled) are really nice, but I just want take it all the way leaving no stone on turned if I take the project on.
MaxPower
2/16/2015 5:43pm Edited Date/Time 2/16/2015 5:49pm
Have you seen the replica bike Scott Stevens built? He created that bike so closely like the original that I don't think the guys that raced them in 77 could tell the difference.

To me the most important part is the tank. It seems like it would be easy to mimic but only one person I know of has done it. When they are wrong it instantly stands out. Are those watercooled heads even around? I've never seen one for sale. Could a good moto machinest like Boucher copy one? If you are going to finish with one project, you picked the perfect bike.

And why stop building bikes? Just slow down . I think I counted you had 4 or 5 bikes built and racing by the time I finished mine.
I always wanted a 77/78 RM. There is something about them being simple but full race bikes that was from a great time of our sport beginning to progress at light speed.
GIwasB4
2/16/2015 6:25pm
^I hoped that photo would show
Mike P.
2/16/2015 7:23pm
Newmann, that's the bike!

MaxPower,

Truth is I have built about 12 bikes to exacting details and over the years and these endeavors have been very costly. I'm at that point in my life where i want to focus on my riding more before I can't ride anymore (I last raced a full season in 2012 and before that I hadn't been on a motocross track since 2006). I did most of my building between 2006 and 2014. I love the work but I ain't getting any younger (if you know what I mean). I have built 2 new bikes this year (I'm going back to the 250 class on a 83 CR250 and I'm riding the historic class for the first time on a 76 CR125). Last time I rode a 76 or older bike was like 1979 (that was my last year on minis as I was transitioning to 125s). Bottom line is I want to ride so building has to be put aside! My 76 should hopefully give the fastest historic bikes fits (should have the cylinder back in a week or so), but if you notice in the photo below, I'm taking no chances (imulators, fat bars, arched brakes, wide pegs, etc…safety first as these old bikes have me nervious when I look at doubles and 90 foot table tops. If I'm going to do it and I will, I want to at least be sure I have the best equipment under me money can buy…I hate falling :+)

Mike P.
2/16/2015 8:31pm
So the water circulaties through the head without a water pump…correct? How does that work? Also, the 81 YZ125 radiaor might work, but if not having a radiator made should not be a problem as I had sent a couple of photos and measurements over to a guy in China and he built me billet radiators for my 83 CR250 that work great, but the head is still a bit of a mystery…Looks great in the photo though!
LWC307
2/16/2015 10:28pm Edited Date/Time 2/16/2015 10:30pm
Mike P. wrote:
So the water circulaties through the head without a water pump…correct? How does that work? Also, the 81 YZ125 radiaor might work, but if not having...
So the water circulaties through the head without a water pump…correct? How does that work? Also, the 81 YZ125 radiaor might work, but if not having a radiator made should not be a problem as I had sent a couple of photos and measurements over to a guy in China and he built me billet radiators for my 83 CR250 that work great, but the head is still a bit of a mystery…Looks great in the photo though!
Thermosiphon system. That's how it works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermosiphon
tydog
2/16/2015 10:38pm
Well, there is "the one". I will say that Bob was very pleased when he saw it.
sandman768
2/17/2015 6:17am
newmann wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/02/16/80649/s1200_Fox_Bikes_2012_092.jpg[/img]

looks like this bike hits the mark! or is that one of the original bike restored? Newmann please post more photos of that work of art, if you have them. the book I posted a photo of, shows & discusses the thermosyphon water cooling head. how many of those setups have you seen come up for sale? Everytime I finish up a build, I say " thats it, I"m done" but, within a few days I"m looking for another bike to restore! something about working on these bikes that takes me back to when they were new & we were just getting into the awesome sport of MX.
Mike P.
2/17/2015 6:43am
LWC307,

Thermosiphon…big word, hell I had to look it up. My background is not as an engineer although I did go to school on the fly for Biometrics with little to no background and graduate (Ha…not that it’s going to help me, but maybe I can use it to convince myself to keep pushing forward on the project). That said, this is definitely going to be a challenge (should I take it on). Having read the definition of Thermosiphon I now understand how it works. I have always wanted a CNC cutting machine (way too expensive), but man would that cut the build time on this cylinder head…it also looks like someone else built a water cooled 77 RM only this bike is a 250…not sure Fox ever made a 250 version of the waterpumper, but it sure does look way too cool. Mike

newmann
2/17/2015 6:55am
There were only two of those heads ever built. One for Richter's RM and one for Wise's Mugen powered CR125. They only ran the RM watercooled for one or two races and never ran it on the Honda. I managed to get my hands on the original RM head from the gentleman who now owns it. A large amount of the bottome had been cut on to fit a later model RM so we went off of some photos, an original head and a Shinobi water cooled head to get the proper dimensions for the combustion chamber.

As with any build, there are a few things I would do differently if I ever built another "replica". This one, along with my Wise replica were originally built to be ridden, but as they progressed I came to the conclusion they would just end up being garage queens for the most part. I did get Steve Wise to spin a few laps on the Honda at the Texas Nationals for parade laps and at least got Richter, Steve Simons, Cliff White and Bob, Geoff and Pete Fox together over the Richter bike for some good conversations.

newmann
2/17/2015 7:07am
1977 Fox Team reunion party. Good times!

Mike P.
2/17/2015 8:01am
Newmann,

Wow that is awesome! And thanks for the insight as I'm with you in that if I build this bike it will definitely be a garage queen. Actually it's kind of funny, the 77 I plan to use for this project has never seen dirt since I built it back in 2006. I had the motor rebuilt back in 2009 and have ran it up and down my block a couple of times...almost a waste, but when I think of what I have in the bike and how long it took to source the parts, everything seems to magically fall into prospective. Thanks again for sharing, Mike.
Mike P.
2/17/2015 11:05am
Newmann,

I was thinking about what you said about Fox only racing that bike twice and I have a question and some comments. Do you know why Fox only raced that bike twice? I’m guessing it may have had something to do with the claiming rule as Mickey Boone almost successfully got Hannah’s works OW39 the year before and in 79 John Roeder did successfully get Marty Tripes’ RC250 (which Honda denied was a works bike but years later upon inspection it was determined it was a works bike).

My other thought was that while Thermosiphon works, did they run into overheating issues? I say this because they ran 40 minute moto’s on tracks that really were not all that technical by today’s standards so riders were basically on the pipe wide open most of the time, which to me equals overheating at some point. Plus, when production watercooled bikes were released in 81, they had water pumps and I image the factories had tried Thermosiphon and went with the water pump for reliability even though they could have saved weight without it…would love to hear your thoughts since you probably talked to those guys at the reunion. Thanks, Mike
newmann
2/17/2015 11:38am
There is more mass to that head than a stocker plus it is finned. Not real sure that it would have overheated any more than a stock head but they may have had it tuned as a cooler running engine. Not sure why it wasn't in use more of the season unless they didn't have it built until the season was underway. They had a fitting come loose and lost coolant at one race though. Chuck Tannlund and I exchanged quite a few e-mails when I was building mine, got a lot of good info along the way. Neat guy, now races vintage cars.

If you want yours to be really correct, you'll have to find someone capable of shortening the capillary tube on the mechanical Stewart Warner temp gauge...Wink
Mike P.
2/17/2015 5:03pm
Newmann,

Sorry to be a million questions or more, but do you know what happened to the bike Pat Richter raced? Normally you hear about bikes like this being in someone collection and they surface for a photo op ever so often, but I have seen no reference of this bike (mind you I am new to the forum...so if you have already answered this question I apologize in advance).
G-man
2/17/2015 9:52pm
Wow Newman those are true Moto art Works! Woohoo

Awesome and what a story you must have.
Thanks for sharing.
PN27416
2/18/2015 8:07am
Cool pictures, great info and inspiration as I'm slowly doing a Wise replica 370.
Best of luck Mike P. Lover seeing your Fox CR at york. No doubt you'll do a kick ass job.
Mike P.
2/18/2015 2:32pm
PN27416,

Thanks for the kind words. I plan to race this bike this year, however I just found out today that the cylinder I was planning on porting has a crack in the liner (not the cylinder on the bike in the photos, I have another). So looks like I'll have to port the cylinder on the bike for the GEM intake I plan on using. Re-sleeving is way to expensive with the radical port work I'm having done so I'm crossing my fingers, but with the right porting and a little luck this bike should run at the front of the pack (at least off the gate..ha...). Hope to see you at the races sometime since we race in and around the same area. Mike
AHRMA361
Fantasy
232nd
2/18/2015 8:56pm
Mike P. wrote:
PN27416, Thanks for the kind words. I plan to race this bike this year, however I just found out today that the cylinder I was planning...
PN27416,

Thanks for the kind words. I plan to race this bike this year, however I just found out today that the cylinder I was planning on porting has a crack in the liner (not the cylinder on the bike in the photos, I have another). So looks like I'll have to port the cylinder on the bike for the GEM intake I plan on using. Re-sleeving is way to expensive with the radical port work I'm having done so I'm crossing my fingers, but with the right porting and a little luck this bike should run at the front of the pack (at least off the gate..ha...). Hope to see you at the races sometime since we race in and around the same area. Mike
Mike, did you get the CR125 GEM pictures I sent you? Never heard back so not sure if you got them. Thanks - Mike H.
Mike P.
2/19/2015 10:38am
Mike H,

I did, not sure why you did not receive my response. Thanks so much for the photos as they were very helpful. I will post a video when I get the bike up and running. Back in the day porting was done by hand while these days they use computers which can yield much more precise/accurate tooling. So the cylinder should wind out to a healthy top end coupled with the Mototek ignition/34mm carb/billet airbox/DG head, fiber reeds & Moto-X-Fox pipe. If not, I'll pull the motor apart and do some gear grinding (haha). Thanks again, Mike

Post a reply to: Moto-X-Fox 77 RM125 Richter build

The Latest