Montesa '77 VB 360

Old Shoe
To avoid highjacking the "should I ride it thread" though I'd post this up separately for those with fond memories!

It is a '77, but the rear frame loop has been removed at some point to give it the later look of the '78.
Suspension is obviously not the std fit and helps with old knees!

|
bigmaico
2/12/2017 9:23am Edited Date/Time 2/12/2017 9:24am
Old Shoe wrote:
To avoid highjacking the "should I ride it thread" though I'd post this up separately for those with fond memories! It is a '77, but the...
To avoid highjacking the "should I ride it thread" though I'd post this up separately for those with fond memories!

It is a '77, but the rear frame loop has been removed at some point to give it the later look of the '78.

Very Nice!

One of the Local Houston Texas guys had one, Don't remember what year it was.

We couldn't get it to start one day he had it at Rio, But he did get it running later & was jetting it last time I saw it.

Bultaco Kid who is a Vital member Owned it!
yzvet426
2/13/2017 6:50am
Beautiful restore, one of my favorite bikes
RBrider
2/14/2017 5:06am
Thanks for posting. Very nice bikes. I loved the VB 360 that I had.

My VF 414 is almost all original still, but not cherry. More of a (mostly)well maintained survivor. I still have the Certificate of Origin for it.

IMO, the VB series was as far as Montesa should've gone with that platform. Slightly less but very usable power, slightly less suspension travel gave a little lower seat height, which in turn made the location of the kickstart lever not so awkward to use and made the non-primary start not so much of a disadvantage if it stalled in a race .

I've always liked my 414, but it wasn't as easy to live with as my VB 360 was.

Just my take on it, as a owner of both back in the day. Having said that, I love them all. I had a '73/74 YZ 250 dual shock that I bought new that I'd love to have sitting my garage today, as well.

RB

The Shop

Old Shoe
2/14/2017 1:44pm
Nice job on the 250 there Derk. You have kept things very original by the look of it. Will it get any paint rubbed in the dirt or is it to be preserved in that perfect state?
Old Shoe
2/14/2017 2:07pm
RBrider wrote:
Thanks for posting. Very nice bikes. I loved the VB 360 that I had. My VF 414 is almost all original still, but not cherry. More...
Thanks for posting. Very nice bikes. I loved the VB 360 that I had.

My VF 414 is almost all original still, but not cherry. More of a (mostly)well maintained survivor. I still have the Certificate of Origin for it.

IMO, the VB series was as far as Montesa should've gone with that platform. Slightly less but very usable power, slightly less suspension travel gave a little lower seat height, which in turn made the location of the kickstart lever not so awkward to use and made the non-primary start not so much of a disadvantage if it stalled in a race .

I've always liked my 414, but it wasn't as easy to live with as my VB 360 was.

Just my take on it, as a owner of both back in the day. Having said that, I love them all. I had a '73/74 YZ 250 dual shock that I bought new that I'd love to have sitting my garage today, as well.

RB
Agreed RB, always liked the look of the Montesas. Bit more style than others of that era and rarer to see these days. I've not ridden a 414, but the bigger stance would have suited me more than the VB, hence my mod to the suspension.
Never found the 360 lacking in power though against more "modern" vintage equipment.
Biggest problem (excluding the top shock mount protrubances) is keeping the front down. Riding position for a taller rider puts the cg too far back. I have seen some with a longer swing arm and it's a mod that is on a list.
speedman
2/15/2017 4:07pm
Beautiful VBs there, y'all. The 250VR thru VB and 360VB were some of the best piston-port motocross engines. Harry Klemm talks about how a piston-port engine doesn't have to be down on usable power compared to reed valves if the intake and exhaust resonances are right, especially in the sense that there isn't an automatic intrinsic advantage to converting a good piston-port engine to reed valves unless the convertor actually knows how to redesign the intake and transfers around a truly suitable reed valve. Montesa seemed to get that right in the 250/360s--those later 250s had a lot of overrev, and if all those 250s were a little peaky, the hit wasn't a problem if you had the right tire and jetting for the conditions, That was another thing Montesa did well--the flywheel weight seemed just right if you ran the correct tires, with the 250 being really quick and the 360VB hooking up really well for an open bike.

I only ever saw one 414, at a National in 79 IIRC, and it looked sort of clumsy, as if it had gotten too big as you say, sort of like the Spanish equivalent of the YZ490 compared to the YZ465. Old Shoe, have you considered making a top triple clamp that doesn't tilt the handlebar clamps back that way? One with bar clamps tall enough to let the bars clear the raised fork tubes, and contemporary low-rise bars to keep the overall height down? Doubtless the leverage relative to the steering head and the pendulum effect of the whole front end would change, but maybe not in a negative way, and moving the handlebars forward rotates your upper body forward in a different way than simply putting on lower bars would, in terms of getting your weight over the front end naturally. I know someone on here moved the bar mounting on his vintage bike forward and raved about opening up the cockpit and getting a more modern feel. Back in the day, there was that DeCoster-style attack position that one can't do if the bars are too high or too far back. I was thinking that in your shoes I'd want to keep the quicker turning and better hookup of a shorter swingarm if I could, and maybe moving the bar clamps would enable you to weight the front end much better--and maybe a custom top triple clamp costs less than a custom swingarm.

What I did for starting on my brother's Rickman 250VR was file the right footpeg mount a bit in the right spot until that peg could be folded back out of the way to give the kickstarter nearly 180 degrees of effective rotation. After that, it was always running by the time you reached the bottom of the stroke, hot or cold. It was hard to start until I did that. Cold, a Bing tickler probably seems crude and barbarous compared to EFI, but it sure helped cold starting on the Bing-equipped bikes I had.
DerkxxNL
2/15/2017 5:06pm
Old Shoe wrote:
Nice job on the 250 there Derk. You have kept things very original by the look of it. Will it get any paint rubbed in the...
Nice job on the 250 there Derk. You have kept things very original by the look of it. Will it get any paint rubbed in the dirt or is it to be preserved in that perfect state?
Thank Old Shoe!
My dad is on a age of 64 @ the moment and parked the VB seriuesly in his livingroom after he receved it on the day I surpriced him with the resto...! :Smile (15 april 2016)
So yes i'am sure the bike keeps his perfect state in the future..
With that fact there's allways a VB250 in "concours" condition the next 50 years..!!! SmileWink
Old Shoe
2/16/2017 3:15pm
Hi Speedman,
Yeah I have considered a more fwd positioned bar mount, which would pull the rider fwd, but my problem has always been in any seated position my legs always push me too far back. I've avoided any type of mods that could not be reversed so I picked up a scrap swing arm to mod as an easy option, but that's as far as it got.
I appreciate your comments and will take a look at the whole thing again. Quite a blast being so light up front, controllable and spectacular if nothing else!
Oldnslo
2/17/2017 12:49am Edited Date/Time 2/17/2017 12:51am
Very nice restoration! Well done to you Sir....I have a few Montesa motorcycles as well.....here is one of mne for you to see.

Photo will not load error from vital....I hate computers sometimes....
socalsand
2/17/2017 10:16am
Old Shoe wrote:
To avoid highjacking the "should I ride it thread" though I'd post this up separately for those with fond memories! It is a '77, but the...

Thanks for posting the Montesa. I brought that bike up in the other post. I have always liked those years of the 360 and 250 as well. Beautiful bikes in my opinion and I owned a 74 cappra 250vr but not the same suspension as those later years.
Old Shoe
2/17/2017 3:58pm Edited Date/Time 2/17/2017 4:02pm
You're welcome, I noticed you were interested. Here's a few more.

socalsand
2/18/2017 5:06am
Old Shoe wrote:
You're welcome, I noticed you were interested. Here's a few more. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/02/17/176984/s1200_100_1682.jpg[/img]
You're welcome, I noticed you were interested. Here's a few more.

Very nice. I'm willing to adopt it. Haha
socalsand
2/18/2017 5:07am
Old Shoe wrote:
Found a friend on the line. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/02/17/176986/s1200_100_1585.jpg[/img]
Found a friend on the line.

The second guy has my old style bike!
socalsand
2/18/2017 5:10am
Old Shoe wrote:
Swinging arm repaired. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/02/17/176993/s1200_100_1563.jpg[/img]
Swinging arm repaired.

Some quality work right there.
Oldnslo
2/18/2017 6:36am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2017 6:37am
Great looking work ! Love the Sanifords Montesa....I also have a Sanifords Montesa in a trials bike.....Very cool....
speedman
2/18/2017 4:57pm
Old Shoe wrote:
Swinging arm repaired. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/02/17/176993/s1200_100_1563.jpg[/img]
Swinging arm repaired.

socalsand wrote:
Indeed. In your shoes, I would be inclined to nickel-plate the swingarm as a Rickman/Cheney tribute and a sly British joke about the American fixation on massive aluminium extrusions. I even caught myself trying to visualize how a nickel-plated swingarm would look with the rest of the bike.

It's a shame that one of the things that makes those Montesas look so good--that sleek tank/seat combination--doesn't look right anymore if you build up the seat for your height. I had to go back and look up what Jaak Van Velthoven used to do, and realized that he probably liked his KTMs for the way his raised seat still blended into the look of the bike. It looks as though he used an inverted set of bar clamps to raise his handlebars a bit:

Bearuno
2/20/2017 3:54am
Many, many years ago a mate of mine rode a VB360, then later a 414.

I made 2" longer swingarms for him to address 2 things:

1: Overly light front end, both in excess wheelying and, more importantly, front end grip. He ran the axle about 1- 1/4" back from where it could be maxed out on the std. swingarm. He said it cornered so much better than standard, and was much more stable.

2 : The shocks were mounted that far forward on the swingarm, that the suspension curve went perilously close to, or into, a falling rate. I think the std shocks were something like 390mm / 15 -3/8" eye to eye. We used 17.5" shocks with eyes that brought them out to, I think, 18.25". Don't hold me to those lengths, it's a long, long time ago. The longer shocks facilitated movement of the shock mounts backwards on the swingarm, to correct the geometry of the shocks / swingarm. Both Fox Airshock and Fox Factory Piggyback Spring shocks were used, and the last I heard from him, he had some Ohlins on it.

I'll see if I can track him down, but we've lost touch over the years.

He raved about both changes to the swingarm design. I rode both a few times std and modified, and it was a massive improvement, if I do say so myself Wink . I made them out of rectangular 4130 sections. I think in 2.5" x 1", or 1-1/8".
Old Shoe
2/20/2017 1:36pm
Bearuno wrote:
Many, many years ago a mate of mine rode a VB360, then later a 414. I made 2" longer swingarms for him to address 2 things...

1: Overly light front end, both in excess wheelying and, more importantly, front end grip. He ran the axle about 1- 1/4" back from where it could be maxed out on the std. swingarm. He said it cornered so much better than standard, and was much more stable.

2 : The shocks were mounted that far forward on the swingarm, that the suspension curve went perilously close to, or into, a falling rate. I think the std shocks were something like 390mm / 15 -3/8" eye to eye. We used 17.5" shocks with eyes that brought them out to, I think, 18.25". Don't hold me to those lengths, it's a long, long time ago. The longer shocks facilitated movement of the shock mounts backwards on the swingarm, to correct the geometry of the shocks / swingarm. Both Fox Airshock and Fox Factory Piggyback Spring shocks were used, and the last I heard from him, he had some Ohlins on it.

He raved about both changes to the swingarm design. I rode both a few times std and modified, and it was a massive improvement, if I do say so myself Wink . I made them out of rectangular 4130 sections. I think in 2.5" x 1", or 1-1/8".
Thanks for the input, that is about the extension I have seen, but without moving the lower shock mounts though. It does make sense about the travel rate.
I've got big feet, but just looking at my own startline pic I can touch the foot peg and bottom shock bolt with my boot.
Compared with other bikes of the era that seems ridiculous!
Old Shoe
2/20/2017 1:45pm
Old Shoe wrote:
Swinging arm repaired.

socalsand wrote:
speedman wrote:
Indeed. In your shoes, I would be inclined to nickel-plate the swingarm as a Rickman/Cheney tribute and a sly British joke about the American fixation on...
Indeed. In your shoes, I would be inclined to nickel-plate the swingarm as a Rickman/Cheney tribute and a sly British joke about the American fixation on massive aluminium extrusions. I even caught myself trying to visualize how a nickel-plated swingarm would look with the rest of the bike.

It's a shame that one of the things that makes those Montesas look so good--that sleek tank/seat combination--doesn't look right anymore if you build up the seat for your height. I had to go back and look up what Jaak Van Velthoven used to do, and realized that he probably liked his KTMs for the way his raised seat still blended into the look of the bike. It looks as though he used an inverted set of bar clamps to raise his handlebars a bit:

Buy a pushbike, choose one from a selection of frame sizes take it home and infinitely adjust the seat and bar height to suit.
Buy a motocrosser, old or new, one size fits all.
RBrider
2/21/2017 4:37am
My VF 414 had Works Performance Shocks set up with triple rate springs and, I assume, valving to match, to help off set the lack of rising rate rear suspension. It was a huge improvement over the stock shocks.

They're still on there. I've sent them back for a factory rebuild twice, I think. I checked my photo's, but the number plates cover the shocks, which would have shown the three different color coded springs.

No doubt, the VG frame was the answer to the VB thru VF rear suspension. At least as far as twin shocks are concerned.

RB

speedman
2/22/2017 4:07am
Bearuno wrote:
Many, many years ago a mate of mine rode a VB360, then later a 414. I made 2" longer swingarms for him to address 2 things...

Good stuff, that.

Old Shoe, thanks for reminding me to record the fit measurements on my bicycles. Need to have a record of that somewhere in the event of calamity to said bikes Cool

Post a reply to: Montesa '77 VB 360

The Latest