Look what I found

BigAl
9/14/2014 2:28pm
That's a beauty!

I know you have several 87's, do you have a restored CR? If so, it would make a dandy racer....
AZ35
Fantasy
544th
9/14/2014 6:44pm
What a find (and steal), that bike is beautiful!

Go for the restoration, just document (pics) how perfect it was when you found it.

Then bring it to Arizona and let me ride it for a few laps...Wink
Jack mehoff
9/14/2014 7:24pm
MXM wrote:
Picked this 1987 CR 125 up today, again only about 15 miles from home. Original survivor, every single part is original oem from 87 right down...
Picked this 1987 CR 125 up today, again only about 15 miles from home. Original survivor, every single part is original oem from 87 right down to the showroom tires, handle bars, chain/sprockets ect.... One owner and he said nothing on the bike has ever been rebuild or changed from new. Even the engine paint is like new and has minimal wear on the side covers and bottom. I am just all smiles on this one. Should I do a mild restore on this and ride it or is it worth more as it sits with original equipment old tires and all? by the way I stole it for $800.......lol

You lucky SOB ! Change fluids and head to a vintage race

The Shop

MXM
9/15/2014 7:53am Edited Date/Time 9/15/2014 7:55am
I agree I have been very lucky finding clean bikes around here. I guess it's just a good area because most were bought to ride trails or ride around the farm, so they get little use and the low humidity year around means little to no rust. I seem to be one of very few ( maybe the only one) around here buying these up and my collection is growing, and yes since I already have a "new" 87 CR 125 this one will be a rider.
sgthubbard#60
9/15/2014 8:05am
MXM wrote:
I agree I have been very lucky finding clean bikes around here. I guess it's just a good area because most were bought to ride trails...
I agree I have been very lucky finding clean bikes around here. I guess it's just a good area because most were bought to ride trails or ride around the farm, so they get little use and the low humidity year around means little to no rust. I seem to be one of very few ( maybe the only one) around here buying these up and my collection is growing, and yes since I already have a "new" 87 CR 125 this one will be a rider.
I'm in desperate need of the little powervalve spring for my 87 CR125 if you happen to have an extra laying around.
MXM
9/15/2014 8:16am
You mean the one were the arm attaches to the cylinder or the one in the case? If the one at the cylinder (top) those are impossible to find. I only have the two on the bikes. If I come across any I will let you know.
sgthubbard#60
9/15/2014 8:20am
MXM wrote:
You mean the one were the arm attaches to the cylinder or the one in the case? If the one at the cylinder (top) those are...
You mean the one were the arm attaches to the cylinder or the one in the case? If the one at the cylinder (top) those are impossible to find. I only have the two on the bikes. If I come across any I will let you know.
Yeah the impossible to find one at the cylinder. Been looking for one for almost a year now. Only thing keeping my bike from going back together.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
9/15/2014 10:42am
Nice find, jealous
newmann
9/15/2014 10:56am
MXM wrote:
You mean the one were the arm attaches to the cylinder or the one in the case? If the one at the cylinder (top) those are...
Yeah the impossible to find one at the cylinder. Been looking for one for almost a year now. Only thing keeping my bike from going back...
Yeah the impossible to find one at the cylinder. Been looking for one for almost a year now. Only thing keeping my bike from going back together.
You work in a machine shop. Just push some buttons.....Wink
MaxPower
9/15/2014 3:18pm
You can fool your wife MXM. But you can't fool us. All these pristine 1987 mx bikes cheap just a few miles from your home. Yea right. My wife isn't into bikes but she will pick out a different tire or exhaust and ask me " when did you get that?"
MaxPower
9/15/2014 3:19pm
And ride the damn thing. You have enough bikes collecting dust
MXM
9/15/2014 4:23pm Edited Date/Time 9/15/2014 4:25pm
Yes it's true these are all just down the street from me, not one more than 20 miles from home. I just live in an area were nobody is looking for them, so I get my pick without fighting anybody else. Have to love Colorado, Lucky me. I may have to rent storage to keep them in if to many more show up.
MXM
9/15/2014 4:30pm
Just FYI, if anybody wants a bike from the Denver/ Colo springs Craigslist I could get it for you if we make some kind of arrangement before hand, I can't buy everything and I have already passed on some good stuff somebody else might want and can't get in there area. Just an idea, try to throw you guys a bone.
berniepiet
9/16/2014 2:24am
I believe it would lower the value if you restored it.

My rule is the original bikes go in the living room, the ones I restore go racing.

There is a twofold reason for this, in my mind. First of all, it keeps original bikes intact and a great reference point in years to come for future builders should they need to use them for reference.

I restore other types of machines, and I can tell you that people are paying INSANE amounts of money for original machines and parts. You may recall, I paid a pretty good price for an original Tuf shroud for a 1989 kx 125 that you had. Thanks, by the way. I paid that price, though, because it was original. By the way, I need another one for a resto, do u have any left? Pm me if you do.

Second, if a bike is going to be raced, I like to go through every nut & bolt. After all it is my body that may get bruised if something fails. When a bike is in bad shape, you are forced to go through every nut and bolt to be as sure as possible it will not fail.

As a side note, I just got back from Farleigh. WOW.

Anyway, just my $.02

Nice find, happy for you

9/16/2014 4:31am
Agree with the above.

Same goes for cars - a nice unrestored survivor car is always more valuable than something restored.

They are only original once!
MXM
9/16/2014 7:40am
berniepiet I sent a PM to you, I have a few shrouds left but mostly dark purple not sure the color you are after.

Post a reply to: Look what I found

The Latest