'87 CR250 racer build- FINALLY DONE!

9/20/2016 5:24am
chuckie108 wrote:
Got the frame guard finished up. Not exactly the same as the HRC(I extended mine further forward to protect the frame paint better), but it looks...
Got the frame guard finished up. Not exactly the same as the HRC(I extended mine further forward to protect the frame paint better), but it looks the part so I'm pretty stoked. Cylinder shipped Friday so I should be wrapping it up in a week or so!

Now that, is a proper job!! CoolCool
wolfy0067
9/20/2016 10:06am
Chuckie, you need to replace the crankcase and clutch cover screws, very nice work!
chuckie108
9/20/2016 1:24pm Edited Date/Time 9/20/2016 1:25pm
Thanks SteveD! Coming from you, that's hi praise! and appreicated.

wolfy- Thanks for the input! This is the debate going on inside my head the last month. LOL Should I buy zinc plated bolts(inexpensive) and machine a dish in the heads for the Ti look? That would be like painting your pipe silver and calling it chrome-not a good look, so NO. Should I just buy new Honda OE bolts (the only place to get black coated like original I know of) so at least they are fresh and original? This one is hard for me because the factory black bolts are pricey for what is just basic hardware, and doesn't fit the factory look I want. Or should I just man up and go Ti? Even harder for me because I'm a tight ass(is it obvious I'm a tight-ass yet?) and it would be probably cost over $300 just to do the basics in Ti. I'm already way over budget on this and have 2 other projects in que(and in need of funding) so I'm having a hard time dropping more big chunks at this stage. We'll see, I've got a week left to decide.
MaxPower
9/20/2016 2:17pm
There arent many 6mm Ti case bolts that i think look right. Typically they make them with the heads looking too large. I dont like allen head fasteners, but i got a deal (1.00 each ) for Ti tapered allen head bolts to replace every case bolt.
If i was going to do it again I probably wouldnt. If you lose one it looks stupid using a mismatched bolt. And i alway get Anti Seize on my hands every time i take one out. I am paranoid about the dissimilar metals not liking each other and bolts becoming tough to remove. So i keep anti seize on all threads. Especially in the cases where bolts stay untouched for a long time.

The Shop

wolfy0067
9/21/2016 3:53am
I have gone all three routes with hardware, using flathead screws on ing. covers, factories have used them in the past, Grainger stocks them, also have put the original in a drill and polished the heads, looks ok.

May be a bit hard to see, flat head screws on ing. Suzuki did this through the 80's did all my RM builds this way.

RyanLester761
9/21/2016 8:47am Edited Date/Time 9/21/2016 8:47am
wolfy0067 wrote:
I have gone all three routes with hardware, using flathead screws on ing. covers, factories have used them in the past, Grainger stocks them, also have...
I have gone all three routes with hardware, using flathead screws on ing. covers, factories have used them in the past, Grainger stocks them, also have put the original in a drill and polished the heads, looks ok.

May be a bit hard to see, flat head screws on ing. Suzuki did this through the 80's did all my RM builds this way.

I bought a zinc coating kit off ebay. The brand is "Eastwood", if I remember correctly. It works really good to renew original fasteners. It helps protect against corrosion and rust. It also comes with a polishing paste for the final polish.
chuckie108
9/30/2016 10:47pm
Took millennium 5 weeks with shipping to do my cylinder. I was really pleased when I got it back though as It looked brand new. Been grinding all week to wrap this thing up. Got everything painted up. Hinson basket pressed together and installed. So tonight I'm sliding on the cylinder (took me a bit to figure out the HPP) and everything looks mint. I snug down the base nuts and then go to slowly turn the motor over to check it over. To my disappointment(and surprise) the piston is hanging up at the bottom of the exhaust port. Ugh!! You can see in the photo the cylinder is tight right there and hanging up the piston. So back to Wisconsin it goes. Hoping they will do something for my shipping and expedite it. Was really hoping to hear it run this weekend. Nothing worse then being right there but can't quite seem to get it finished up.

chuckie108
11/19/2016 10:32pm
FINALLY got 'er wrapped up. Really pleased with the end result! Still waiting on a replica HRC ignition cover and a blue Renthal pad, but other than that, mission accomplished. Here's some pics for now, tomorrow I'll post a video(sounds awesome!) and some build details.
tomm55x
11/20/2016 4:49am
Bike looks great, good work!!
doctor46
11/20/2016 9:07am
chuckie108 wrote:
FINALLY got 'er wrapped up. Really pleased with the end result! Still waiting on a replica HRC ignition cover and a blue Renthal pad, but other...
FINALLY got 'er wrapped up. Really pleased with the end result! Still waiting on a replica HRC ignition cover and a blue Renthal pad, but other than that, mission accomplished. Here's some pics for now, tomorrow I'll post a video(sounds awesome!) and some build details.
I sent you a message on Facebook about them.

My compliments for the bike, it looks perfect in any detail.
JohnnyRed
11/22/2016 5:01pm
I just joined this site to tell you, oh my God, that bike looks awesome! What a great build. Honestly man, good job.
chuckie108
12/8/2016 6:35am
Thanks johnny red! Got a couple final pieces in the mail today- thanks to doctor46- amazing stuff!!! Absolutely perfect. I think the small details make a big difference. I've been trying to resist but I may have to buy some Ti from stevieD now. Hahaha

chuckdavies
12/8/2016 8:15am
Lovely bike mate congrats - great job!!

My only comment though - it's crying out for some period correct numbers (in my opinion!), oh and for a couple of dollars 2 new rear brake hose guides would finish it off a treat!
wolfy0067
12/9/2016 5:48am
The build is just over the top, you will never race it, I see the terry cloth between the frame and bike stand.

LOL

Post a reply to: '87 CR250 racer build- FINALLY DONE!

The Latest