'87 CR250 racer build- FINALLY DONE!

chuckie108
6/23/2016 8:16am
Thanks! Not yet, that's on the agenda for this weekend!
wolfy0067
6/23/2016 12:03pm
Chuckie, coming together pretty nice, boy you opened that airbox up
Suzuki Ed
6/23/2016 2:15pm
chuckie108 wrote:
First off, credit where credit is due. Been watching all the great builds on here over the last number of years, and it has really lit...
First off, credit where credit is due. Been watching all the great builds on here over the last number of years, and it has really lit the fire to build up a fleet of cool bikes I always wanted. So kudos to all the regulars here. I've had this pair of basket case '87 CR250's sitting around for a few years, and a recent injury that will keep me off the bike 6 months has been the perfect catalyst to get this project going. So I've jumped in with both feet and I'm rolling. I'm going to try and keep the cost down and replace just the parts that are needed, but make up the difference with elbow grease. I plan to ride the shit out of it though when I'm back healthy, so won't cut any corners when it comes to motor or suspension. Here's what I got so far:

The most complete of the two- this motor is a compete running '86 motor, which I will sell when I'm done.

Lots of dirty parts waiting for TLC

Suspension parts prepped and heading out for ano tomorrow

Frame and pegs are painted and prepped. Installing new headset races this weekend

YES!!!!! At least one clutch case/WP housing is good!

Suspension parts are ready to go! Gonna pick up a few pieces from RT tomorrow.

PC Pipe has seen better days. Gonna be a lot of work to restore. Stoked I have the PC tag with the original PC logo though.

Some of my parts are prepped a primed for paint. Still quite a few to go though.

If you made it this far, I have a couple questions.
1) I have three different cylinders. I dont think they are all '87 models. Any visual way to determine what year they are? And which year of this era is considered the best?
2) I need to get a chain guide and buffer. I see repop versions on quite a few sites. I always worry about the quality of this stuff. Amy input on the best source for these?
3) front brake pads? I've always just ran OE Honda pads, which I don't think are available. What's the next best thing?
4) UFO plastics-I know they still make them, but where can you buy them? What's the best source to get them?

Can't wait to let 'er rip!!

Just did a half assed rebuild on one , haven't ridden it yet . A lot of people say these are good bikes , I myself have only ridden two Hondas in my time . One was a pile of crap 75/125 the other a 97/250 .

6/23/2016 6:24pm
This thing is gonna be sooo sick. Keep 'er pinned

The Shop

chuckie108
6/23/2016 11:14pm
chuckie108 wrote:
First off, credit where credit is due. Been watching all the great builds on here over the last number of years, and it has really lit...
First off, credit where credit is due. Been watching all the great builds on here over the last number of years, and it has really lit the fire to build up a fleet of cool bikes I always wanted. So kudos to all the regulars here. I've had this pair of basket case '87 CR250's sitting around for a few years, and a recent injury that will keep me off the bike 6 months has been the perfect catalyst to get this project going. So I've jumped in with both feet and I'm rolling. I'm going to try and keep the cost down and replace just the parts that are needed, but make up the difference with elbow grease. I plan to ride the shit out of it though when I'm back healthy, so won't cut any corners when it comes to motor or suspension. Here's what I got so far:

The most complete of the two- this motor is a compete running '86 motor, which I will sell when I'm done.

Lots of dirty parts waiting for TLC

Suspension parts prepped and heading out for ano tomorrow

Frame and pegs are painted and prepped. Installing new headset races this weekend

YES!!!!! At least one clutch case/WP housing is good!

Suspension parts are ready to go! Gonna pick up a few pieces from RT tomorrow.

PC Pipe has seen better days. Gonna be a lot of work to restore. Stoked I have the PC tag with the original PC logo though.

Some of my parts are prepped a primed for paint. Still quite a few to go though.

If you made it this far, I have a couple questions.
1) I have three different cylinders. I dont think they are all '87 models. Any visual way to determine what year they are? And which year of this era is considered the best?
2) I need to get a chain guide and buffer. I see repop versions on quite a few sites. I always worry about the quality of this stuff. Amy input on the best source for these?
3) front brake pads? I've always just ran OE Honda pads, which I don't think are available. What's the next best thing?
4) UFO plastics-I know they still make them, but where can you buy them? What's the best source to get them?

Can't wait to let 'er rip!!

Yah- it's probably a bit excessive, but my motivation is the RC250 Eric Gebeors won the world title on- that's what I was trying to replicate.

chuckie108
6/23/2016 11:35pm
Thanks gents for the encouragement.

Got the shock finished up now too- she will be a roller by the weekend.

Shaft is completely rebuilt. Every wearing part has been replaced. Awesome that Race Tech has all the parts. The only thing that was tricky was the bumper. I used the closest one demensionally off their list of available parts. I then had to hollow out the underside like the OE version. Appears like its gonna work fine.

Got the shock together and bled out- everything is right and like new.
chuckie108
7/1/2016 11:41pm
Chassis is now complete. There's a few pics of the completed shock that didn't load last time. For some reason my posts always go sideways from my phone. Still waiting on the chain guide and mud flap- on back order with TUF for a few more weeks. And my radiators will be back from myler's next week which I'm excited to check out. Kudos to EVO-MX on the tank/shroud/fender graphics. Great to deal with, and an awesome product. Cone pipe has been shelved for the time being. My original PC pipe just wasn't up go snuff to go on this build now that I've gone completely overboard(lol, so I've shelved that for now- it would take me weeks to build an entire pipe from cones, which I don't have time for. Plus, I checked PC's site and it said "in stock", so I snatched one up! I'm going to change out the PC tag to the old school tag from '87. Getting exciting now, I'm tearing into the engine Monday!!

chuckie108
8/16/2016 12:10am
Finally making some more progress. Bottom end is complete other than the clutch as I still need to purchase a clutch basket. Working on the cylinder now- contemplating getting it re-nic'ed so I have a fresh bore. It's not in bad shape though, so I might put my OCD aside and just run it. Getting close now. I'm still waiting on some small pieces from the dealer to finish it up, but considering how close I am, I'm gonna put in a hard effort and try and wrap it up by the weekend!

MaxPower
8/16/2016 1:04am
Perfect job Chuckie
chuckie108
8/16/2016 10:35am
Thanks everyone! I painted them. I'd prefer to go powder for the durability actually, but I can't find anyone I can trust to get it right. And the last thing I want to be doing is trying to get powder off my cases.
MaxPower
8/16/2016 1:01pm
Not saying its something you want to do for fun, but i think paint remover and a sand blaster makes it possible to remove powder coating
sandman768
8/16/2016 5:41pm
Nice looking build!
riv187
8/16/2016 6:23pm
What paint on engine do you like? I have problems with VHT and engine enamel when race fuel dribbles on it. I also used hardened urethane but have adhesion problems on magnesium covers.
chuckie108
8/16/2016 11:49pm Edited Date/Time 8/16/2016 11:52pm
riv187 wrote:
What paint on engine do you like? I have problems with VHT and engine enamel when race fuel dribbles on it. I also used hardened urethane...
What paint on engine do you like? I have problems with VHT and engine enamel when race fuel dribbles on it. I also used hardened urethane but have adhesion problems on magnesium covers.
After reading lots of posts on here and other places about painting cases, here's what I settled on: Step 1. I completely stripped and blasted my cases with "green diamond " media. I keep the pressure regulated down to where it just starts to remove the paint. Step 2. Wash them thoroughly with simple green and dawn soap. Step 3. Wash them with a paint pre cleaner. The one I use is called "prep all". Step 4: Prime with metal etching primer. Make sure you follow the directions on how to apply it. I like this one:

I let the primer flash off per the can(I think it says and hour), and then I just top coat right over the primer.

Step 5. I top coat with this. The top can is the paint(obviously not showing the reducer and activator) and the bottom can is the flattening agent. You have to play with the amount of flattener until you get the look you want.

I don't have any specific ideas for Mag. I think my clutch cover is Mag and it's been painted for 2-3 months with no issues. I think getting things clean is really important, which is why I always clean stuff with simple green and dawn. I cleaned the cases with spray brake clean before assembly. I tried not to get it on the paint, but that's near;y impossible. The good news it didn't harm it and the finish seems pretty durable. I hope that helps.
chuckie108
8/17/2016 12:08am
Had a bit of a setback tonight. Got my cylinder all prepped up so I could paint it tonight. The plan was to wrap the engine up during the week and then finish the bike this weekend. Unfortunately, after I prepped the bore and was inspecting it, I found a litlle spot where the chrome is flaking. Looks like it going to Millenium tomorrow. That's money I didn't want to spend, but I'm learning quickly to just get over it and suck it up. LOL

sandman768
8/17/2016 4:42am
The budget on these builds can quickly spiral out of control, I"ve had a lot of conversations with myself about what the hell I"m doing with these builds! Am I going to ride this thing or is it a garage queen? Can I get away with not replacing this part or should I buy a new part? When you get to the stage where your build looks like your chassis does, there is no turning back....everything has to be 100% or it will eat you up knowing you cut a corner...you are a perfectionist...I know your pain !
wolfy0067
8/17/2016 8:55am
Yep it's a curse, I have more money wrapped up in mx bikes than I wish to admit.

I'm surprised and I'm sure you have been looking at the KLP swingarms, the cylinder re-coat is a must!

Your project is coming together really nice.
chuckie108
8/18/2016 11:18pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2016 11:19pm
wolfy0067 wrote:
Yep it's a curse, I have more money wrapped up in mx bikes than I wish to admit. I'm surprised and I'm sure you have been...
Yep it's a curse, I have more money wrapped up in mx bikes than I wish to admit.

I'm surprised and I'm sure you have been looking at the KLP swingarms, the cylinder re-coat is a must!

Your project is coming together really nice.
I'm afraid I'm headed down that rabbit hole myself! Hahaha!
I've drooled over those swinarms quite a bit. A bit out of my budget currently. Hoping to one day do a no holds barred bike. Coke Bottle arm, full ti, alloy tank, come pipe, etc. One day!!
Thanks for the compliment!
philG
8/19/2016 3:57am
We are doing an RM125 and its a money pit , even at the level we are doing it (not worthy of pictures on Vital lol)

As long as it goes and stops and looks ok from 15ft away we are good with it.
EL Sammo
8/23/2016 10:02am
Looking great! Finished bike should be a nice rig.
chuckie108
8/29/2016 10:19pm
Getting closer- Pretty much everything is done now, waiting on my cylinder to get done at Millenium and a couple other bits. Works look pipe is done. Works Replica shifter is done. I have a repo HRC ign cover coming. I need to find a right side TMV/HRC frame guard like the one pictured above? Anyone have a line on one or something similar?

Anaxdlere
9/7/2016 7:48am
Incredible work. Makes me want to find an 86-87 and do another!
barkhard696
9/7/2016 8:59pm
The TMV frame guard only works (fits properly, it will bolt up tho) with the VRP subframe. Here is mine, just mounted. I know the TMV guard is the bomb but it really is designed to work like the works bikes ones did.

barkhard696
9/7/2016 9:04pm Edited Date/Time 9/7/2016 9:05pm
Not trying to be a downer. It still is a very cool piece. Try Mastercross (Claudio Venzian (SP?)) in Italy. Claudio and Tiziana are good people. Great build bro!!
chuckie108
9/8/2016 11:09am
BH!! I hope you've recovered from the flood brother! I'm probably suffering from too many hits to the head, but I'm not totally tracking. So you're saying the TMV part does not fit well with the stock subframe? Coincidentally, I contacted Mastercross a few weeks back because they show a VRP produced version on their site. It looks exactly like the one on your bike above. The translation was a bit iffy, but they replied that they were "done for the month" and to try again in September. I was trying to save the time of building one, but it looks like I might be forced to go that route if I want one that looks like the HRC part. Thanks for your input.
barkhard696
9/9/2016 6:04am
It's me who's jelling out! Yeah, now that you mention it, this was the VRP guard that I got from Mastercross, and yes that would explain why it was meant to work with the VRP subframe.

It fit OK actually, just left a bit of space above the stock subframe. I had a VRP subframe for it and it seemed like the guard would be better suited for the box section of the VRP s/f. I sold the bike and the whole enchilada a few months back though.
9/10/2016 4:20am
The TMV frame guard only works (fits properly, it will bolt up tho) with the VRP subframe. Here is mine, just mounted. I know the TMV...
The TMV frame guard only works (fits properly, it will bolt up tho) with the VRP subframe. Here is mine, just mounted. I know the TMV guard is the bomb but it really is designed to work like the works bikes ones did.

Hi there

I love your vented front plate, where can I get one?
chuckie108
9/19/2016 10:21pm
Got the frame guard finished up. Not exactly the same as the HRC(I extended mine further forward to protect the frame paint better), but it looks the part so I'm pretty stoked. Cylinder shipped Friday so I should be wrapping it up in a week or so!

Post a reply to: '87 CR250 racer build- FINALLY DONE!

The Latest