'87 CR250 racer build- FINALLY DONE!

chuckie108
5/11/2016 11:10pm Edited Date/Time 11/19/2016 10:46pm
First off, credit where credit is due. Been watching all the great builds on here over the last number of years, and it has really lit the fire to build up a fleet of cool bikes I always wanted. So kudos to all the regulars here. I've had this pair of basket case '87 CR250's sitting around for a few years, and a recent injury that will keep me off the bike 6 months has been the perfect catalyst to get this project going. So I've jumped in with both feet and I'm rolling. I'm going to try and keep the cost down and replace just the parts that are needed, but make up the difference with elbow grease. I plan to ride the shit out of it though when I'm back healthy, so won't cut any corners when it comes to motor or suspension. Here's what I got so far:

The most complete of the two- this motor is a compete running '86 motor, which I will sell when I'm done.

Lots of dirty parts waiting for TLC

Suspension parts prepped and heading out for ano tomorrow

Frame and pegs are painted and prepped. Installing new headset races this weekend

YES!!!!! At least one clutch case/WP housing is good!

Suspension parts are ready to go! Gonna pick up a few pieces from RT tomorrow.

PC Pipe has seen better days. Gonna be a lot of work to restore. Stoked I have the PC tag with the original PC logo though.

Some of my parts are prepped a primed for paint. Still quite a few to go though.

If you made it this far, I have a couple questions.
1) I have three different cylinders. I dont think they are all '87 models. Any visual way to determine what year they are? And which year of this era is considered the best?
2) I need to get a chain guide and buffer. I see repop versions on quite a few sites. I always worry about the quality of this stuff. Amy input on the best source for these?
3) front brake pads? I've always just ran OE Honda pads, which I don't think are available. What's the next best thing?
4) UFO plastics-I know they still make them, but where can you buy them? What's the best source to get them?

Can't wait to let 'er rip!!

|
5/12/2016 4:29am
Looks like a great project!!

The rear chain guide is available from UFO, It's really good quality. The rubber block that goes in the bottom is available new from Honda. Theres some repro's of the alloy plate available over here in the UK.

The fronts... Hot foot moto.... not the best quality around but they fit and work....

Brake pads. I think are still available from Honda, part numbers 45105-KS6-701 and 45106-KS6-701 (Why can they just give a part number for a pair!!!)

I've seen some bikes fitted with the earlier '86 "double" slide pin caliper. The part number for these pads is 45105-KA3-731

Looking forward to seeing the build progress!!

Stevie
mb60
5/12/2016 9:14am
UFO plastic USA is the website for plastic. I did mine before selling it with OEM front and rear fenders. Good luck with the build and you seem you are off to a good start.
RyanLester761
5/12/2016 11:18am
Following! I have a decent '87 CR250 myself. I have a magazine with the test if you want some pictures.

For the cylinder differences; I think I remember reading the transfer ports are higher on the '87 compared to the '86. My '87 has good mid and top. But, I'd be curious to ride a 1986. I believe it's more low and mid- which will get you up and going with less effort IMO.

Let us know what you figure out!

5/12/2016 12:00pm
I remember that dirt rider dyno tested the 86 and it had 38 horsepower, and the 87 had 35. To my eyes, the 86 curve was wider to boot.

The Shop

chuckie108
5/12/2016 12:19pm
Thanks for the replies gents!

StevieD- awesome info, thanks for the feedback! I looked all over the UFO Italy and UFO USA sites and neither show a part number for a chain guide. Know a possible source? Fortunately I was able to salvage a decent chain guide plate.

As for the Cylinders, I think I'm gonna take all 3 to Terry Varner, and let him pick which one he wants to work on. After reading what I could on the Ricky Ryan scan in my other thread, I think I want to build a ripper! BBRRAAPP!!
doctor46
5/12/2016 3:18pm
chuckie108 wrote:
Thanks for the replies gents! StevieD- awesome info, thanks for the feedback! I looked all over the UFO Italy and UFO USA sites and neither show...
Thanks for the replies gents!

StevieD- awesome info, thanks for the feedback! I looked all over the UFO Italy and UFO USA sites and neither show a part number for a chain guide. Know a possible source? Fortunately I was able to salvage a decent chain guide plate.

As for the Cylinders, I think I'm gonna take all 3 to Terry Varner, and let him pick which one he wants to work on. After reading what I could on the Ricky Ryan scan in my other thread, I think I want to build a ripper! BBRRAAPP!!
UFO PNs 2623 and 2622 are listed for 88-89 models and should fit on your 87 as well.

bad juju
5/13/2016 8:38pm
my dream bike for sure. I worked at circle city Honda when they came out. and can still remember sitting on all the 87 cr's. always wanted one. bitchen bike.
mb60
5/14/2016 4:19pm
Chuckie I have nearly a brand new silencer for the 87 CR 250 in the garage.
chuckie108
5/14/2016 8:20pm
mb60 wrote:
Chuckie I have nearly a brand new silencer for the 87 CR 250 in the garage.
The one part I don't have! Want my address so you can send it to me? My birthday is next month. ;-)
(Pm sent)
5/14/2016 8:58pm
Sweet build Chuckie. These bikes were new when I started watching sx with my dad. I'm redoing a 94 cr and I've been ordering oem hardware for. Funny how much a 1.50$ part can add up hey? My last order was $167. Nuts, bolts, sleeved washers and so on. Keep up the good work and hope your healed up by the time your scoots done.
mb60
5/15/2016 10:12am
chuckie108 wrote:
The one part I don't have! Want my address so you can send it to me? My birthday is next month. ;-)
(Pm sent)
For some reason the Im's do not work on here for me. Email @ mike.bruce6868@hotmail.com
Mouse153
5/17/2016 10:44am
How did you clean up the forks? They look like they're brand new!
barkhard696
5/17/2016 11:54am
These websites will be your friend: Marks Vintage Swapmeet and vintagebikeads.com

I have a brand new in bag PC silencer I am going to put onto those sites shortly. Text me at 281-750-1705 if you have a use. I probably have some of the UFO plastics also.
chuckie108
5/17/2016 1:28pm
Sweet build Chuckie. These bikes were new when I started watching sx with my dad. I'm redoing a 94 cr and I've been ordering oem hardware...
Sweet build Chuckie. These bikes were new when I started watching sx with my dad. I'm redoing a 94 cr and I've been ordering oem hardware for. Funny how much a 1.50$ part can add up hey? My last order was $167. Nuts, bolts, sleeved washers and so on. Keep up the good work and hope your healed up by the time your scoots done.
Right?! I'm quickly going over budget on this. I was hoping to reuse a lot more pieces than I am. It seems everything I pick up to clean and inspect is in need of complete overhaul. I'll have lots of updates to post as I will have to completely go through every bit and piece on this thing. Good news is I have been enjoying the hell out of it so far!!!!
chuckie108
5/17/2016 2:09pm
Mouse153 wrote:
How did you clean up the forks? They look like they're brand new!
Not too tough actually. Here are the steps I took:
1) These forks are clear coated, so first thing is strip them with "aircradt stripper". Most forks are just anodized so you can skip this step if they aren't cleared.
2) Take them to your local anodizer and have them strip off the anodizing.
3)Next I hit all the deep gauges with a fine file, plus some of the casting flash etc..
4) Get to sanding. I have a small dual action sander that has a 2" pad. I started with 150, then 400, and on up to 2000.
5)Last thing is to hit it by hand with 2000- sanding in the same direction so the sand marks are all heading the same way.
6)Back to the anodizer for Type 2 hard anodizing- clear type 2 for a light gray look. I'm going black because there is generally less variation in colors between different metals like the axle cap, shock spring retainer etc..

Should have them back any day now, I'll post a pic when I get them.
chuckie108
5/27/2016 12:32am
Finally making some progress! I've grossly underestimated my man hour on this! Haha It doesn't help when everything you pick up is literally hammered. been enjoying the hell out of it though.
Front clamps are done- new bearings/races/seals.

Brakes are fully rebuilt- New Seals etc.. I also built up new lines. Both systems were full of barnacles! Crazy how badly some people neglect their equipment.

Before

After:

Hubs are painted and I'm just waiting for parts. I have new gold excels and spokes on order at Dubya. Can't wait to build them up!

Airbox- I'll just say I spent an hour alone just cleaning it! It was pretty beat looking, so I decided to go all out. Completely restored it and modeled after the works Hondas of that year. I made a few small mistakes, but overall with happy with how it turned out.
Before:

after:

Major props to DynoDan for hooking a brother up. He found some "extra parts" in his garage and was kind enough to donate them to the build. This included a NOS rear fender, and an extremely clean orginal seat!(among some other really helpful pieces) You the man Dan!

Hoping to get my suspension parts back tomorrow so I can reassemble them over the weekend- but I'm not holding my breath!

Wheel parts are in, just need to find some dough to pick them up!
chuckie108
5/27/2016 12:40am
(These photos I couldn't get load in the above post)

5/31/2016 12:23pm
Looking good Chuckie! On the airbox, did you get into sanding and polishing or did you do something else? Can't wait to see your suspension parts when they get back from ano.
chuckie108
5/31/2016 2:34pm
Thanks! I painted mine- it was too far gone to just polish up.(I'm in the autobody industry so I'm real familiar with paints) I plan on covering the rear exposed section with clear bra and the side where your boots rub with custom shaped Twin air decals. The inside I just coated with a good dose of SC1. I also scrubbed the boot perfectly clean, and then doused it with SC1- let it sit a few hours and then wipe it down- looks good as new.

Got my fork tubes and shock body Friday. I'll say it looks "ok". I went hard black- trying for the works look, but my ano guys can't seem to get that gold/brown look. Next bike I will for sure do something a little different. Should still look pretty cool- just not exactly what I wanted. Trying to get those things back together this week- we'll see. Hoping to have a solid update up here before weeks end!
5/31/2016 8:21pm
I'm in the collision industry too. What brand paint did you use and what adhesion promoter? The air box on my 94 was scratched pretty bad and being white all the scratches were full of dirt and grease and overall just looked like shit. I ended up da'ing the sides with 320 wet and worked my way up from that to 800. Then went back down to 400 wet or dry and worked my way up to 2000 then busted out the trizac 3000 & 5000 on the da. Then polished it up from there. All the work was in the sanding. The polishing took about 10 minutes. I ended up doing the original tank too. It had more scratches and some were pretty deep but I worked 95% of it out. It looks 1000x better but the tank is stained from the fuel so i might end up buying a Clark tank so it matches the frame again. I'll see when it's all back together.

Enough about my stuff. Your bike is coming together nice and Im sure once you get your suspension back together and on the bike it will look killer.
ledger
6/1/2016 5:31pm
The airbox is a Stud ! great job on a great bike.
chuckie108
6/2/2016 9:27pm
Thanks for the kind words gents.
AJ- we spray PPG in our shop. I used bulldog adhesion promotor and the SEM plastic primer(black version so if it chips it won't be so obvious). I top coated it with Omni - was trying to go single sage to keep the thickness down. It was too flat, so I had to spray flattened clear on top of that- E700 with flattener added to get the prope satin of raw plastic. Turned out bitchen. We'll see how durable it is.
chuckie108
6/4/2016 11:44pm
Made a little progress this week. Extremely busy with kids graduating...

Trying to use as many original parts as I can- like the throttle assembly.. Been having trouble locating a useable throttle tube. There's one on EBay currently......for $154!! F' that! Did a little research and found a thread on Vital where someone recommended this part:

So I bought one(took my parts guy a bit of fuss to locate one), and it's nearly the identical part. I say nearly because the pull radius of this one is 2mm larger than stock.(maybe this is a CR500 version?). So I got to mod'ing and Its gonna work perfect now!

Got my swing arm all dialed in- it was hammered, but it's looking pretty decent now. The one bearings I got lucky on we're the swingarm. So far the are the only bearings I have reused. The cool thing is Honda still sells the prolink decal and they are reasonably priced.

Got the linkage all done too! Complete new everything!

Rear brake pedal has been sanitized and rebuilt.

Got my suspension parts back, and my rim kits this week! Really excited about that! Looking forward to building them up. This thing will be a roller soon enough(if I can find some time this week!).

Been working on sorting my plastics out as well. Things are coming together quite well.

And lastly, a little sneak peek at another little part of this I plan on building for this bike. Always wanted one- I think I finally figured out a workable way to make it happen! Cheers!

kxman
6/5/2016 5:08am
Looks like a cone pipe in the making
chuckie108
6/21/2016 11:32pm
Forks And wheels completed
:
My forks had some weird aftermarket piston set up. For sure not gold valves. Maybe pro-action? They were 7 ID shims(which I don't have), so I wanted to go back to the original internal bending valve assembly- took me a bit to round up the bits and pieces, but I got it sorted:

The top caps were also aftermarket. Don't know who is the source on these, but they plug the rebound bleeds and run them through a rebound adjuster in the cap, so I kept them. I'm hoping they are actually functional.

Lots of pieces to sort out, luckily I remembered where everything goes.
chuckie108
6/21/2016 11:44pm
(Don't know why, but whenever I try to post via iPad, it dumps half my post. Anyways, here's the rest )

Lots of pieces to sort out, luckily I remembered where everything goes.

And here they are all completed. Don't worry, the proper Showa decals and fork guards are on the way.

You can also see in that photo my front wheel is complete. Here is the rear also. I get tires to mount up tomorrow.

Should have the entire chassis done by the weekend, and then I can start on my power plant!
RyanLester761
6/22/2016 1:37pm
Did you go with a 19" rear wheel?

Is that a stock top triple clamp? I think mine is rubber mounted and sets the bars pretty far back- going off memory since I'm not looking at my bike at the moment. Did you find a better alternative for that?

Nice work so far, btw!
chuckie108
6/22/2016 3:13pm
Thanks for the compliment!

I went 18'- wanted to keep it period correct. All my favorite tires are now available 18' too.

The lower clamp is stock, the upper clamp is '87-'88 CR125 clamp. It's solid mount and further forward than the rearward set stock one. Keep and eye on eBay, they come up fairly regularly for $30-50.
billyslad
6/22/2016 10:33pm
Great work I have one parked at the moment that i am deciding what to do with

chuckie108
6/23/2016 8:15am
billyslad wrote:
Great work I have one parked at the moment that i am deciding what to do with[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/06/22/140611/s1200_image.jpg[/img]
Great work I have one parked at the moment that i am deciding what to do with

That's about how rough mine was starting out! Lots of hours spent, but worth it!

Post a reply to: '87 CR250 racer build- FINALLY DONE!

The Latest