Has TyDog shown his 480 yet?

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
Edited Date/Time 11/10/2015 9:33am
Sweet mother of Fred, that thing buckled my knees. It's his privilege to share pics, but c'mon man bighten these folks day. Laughing
|
newmann
11/5/2015 9:05am
You got something other than a dimly lit Frankensteins basement pic taken with a 1980's bag phone? He'll probably never post any, but I'll throw in my contribution.

One Works Honda magnesium petcock affixed to an equally Works Honda aluminum tank.

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
11/5/2015 1:19pm
Yup I think I did. But its Kenny's party I'm crashing, he gets to light the candles
newmann
11/5/2015 3:27pm
I remember when I bought that tank and e-mailed him to tell him what he just bought.Laughing Sweetest, most lowest hour 1980 CR250 rolling chassis ever went into that build.
Jmcd1988
11/5/2015 3:34pm
This might be a noob question but what is the point of magnesium parts? I know my 92 ktm 500mx had magnesium outer case. Just wondering.....

The Shop

tydog
11/7/2015 3:19pm Edited Date/Time 11/7/2015 3:25pm
Thank you for the kind words Michael! You really think waaay too much of my builds; I am just a dumb old machinist and I seldom post pics here of what little bit that I do accomplish.
Ask and you shall receive, here is the 480. If you look closely there are still a few loose ends, missing bolts and what not as I have had an RM500 and an ACL surgery get my attention lately.
Many thanks to Newmann, FTE and SgtHubbard as I could not have done this without their help. photo IMG_3869.jpg" class="img-fluid" /> photo IMG_3863.jpg" class="img-fluid" /> photo IMG_3855.jpg" class="img-fluid" /> photo IMG_3852.jpg" class="img-fluid" /> photo IMG_3851.jpg" class="img-fluid" /> photo IMG_3845.jpg" class="img-fluid" />
sandman768
11/7/2015 6:30pm
Work of art! can we have Some details? Works bike? Awesome!
newmann
11/8/2015 5:19pm
First I've seen of it with wings on the tank. Looks really good. Flat finish on the engine turned out nice too. Your mixologist appears to be getting pretty close on that, finally.

Ti chain adjusters?
MaxPower
11/8/2015 6:58pm
Did you make those chain adjusters TyDog?
Is there anyone that sells something other than the cheesy stamped steel stock chain adjusters?
The ones on your bike look very clean.
And is that a Works tank? Good job on the entire bike
tydog
11/9/2015 8:32am
Thank you for the kind words guys.
Sandman, not an ex works bike although I have enough time and $ in it to be so probably. Machinists often make shitty mechanics as we cannot leave anything alone. Was a roached 82 480 engine that I have huge efforts in internally (details and pics if needed) stuffed in the nicest 1980 rolling chassis known to exist and a RC tank from Europe is the cherry on top. Thanks Newman for both roller and tank!!!!!
Yes the sliders are titanium and I did them myself; as I said above, machinist=shitty mechanic. I know of no source for any unless of course Stevie Denton can chime in.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
11/9/2015 11:21am
Kenny, I don't overstate how good your work is. And I really doubt you're a bad mechanic.

The crank end repair you did was to me the most fascinating thing you showed me (pretty sure it was this project). Love that bike.
DoctorJD
11/9/2015 12:42pm
Damn tydog, gorgeous bike! You live in Monticello? Hell, I'm practically your next-door-neighbor!
swatdoc
11/9/2015 1:32pm
Ty I just got a frame from Stevie to build a twin shock 480. Curious what rear hub you're using?

And I got the airbox from Jim Sewell - is that what you're using as well? If so what type of boot and filter cage setup are you running?

Thanks
John
11/9/2015 3:02pm Edited Date/Time 11/10/2015 8:52am
tydog wrote:
Thank you for the kind words guys. Sandman, not an ex works bike although I have enough time and $ in it to be so probably...
Thank you for the kind words guys.
Sandman, not an ex works bike although I have enough time and $ in it to be so probably. Machinists often make shitty mechanics as we cannot leave anything alone. Was a roached 82 480 engine that I have huge efforts in internally (details and pics if needed) stuffed in the nicest 1980 rolling chassis known to exist and a RC tank from Europe is the cherry on top. Thanks Newman for both roller and tank!!!!!
Yes the sliders are titanium and I did them myself; as I said above, machinist=shitty mechanic. I know of no source for any unless of course Stevie Denton can chime in.
Top job tydog!! LOVE it!! I know EXACTLY what you mean about the machinist/mechanic thing, all the time... "Ooooooohhh, I could make that", "Ooooohhhh, what would it look like if i did it like that!" Haha!

Those Ti chain adjusters are SWEET!! I might have to have a go at a set or 2! I've never done them before.

I really like how you've kinda kept it looking "period". Was that intentional or just how it all came together?

Stevie

John, we use the stock 250 air filter set up on ours. It's a bit of tight fit, but it works. It also keeps it simpler if you have a 250 as well, you don't have to worry about taking different filters to the track!!

Stevie
tydog
11/9/2015 4:23pm Edited Date/Time 11/9/2015 4:27pm
To all, again thanks for the kind words, much appreciated, honestly. I pretty much got it to this state early this year but got busy racing and training before I got hurt. I had been on it for a while then damn Newmann got a real RC and that inspired me to finish it.
FTE, this crank is the one that I had to rework both bearing journals on and use the jet ski rod, the end repair was on the RM370. Hell it was you that got me started on this project! LOL, but damn glad that you did. FTE also provided me the shocks in the rare brown color!!!
DR JD, I believe that we have chatted before, you are in Uncle Remus E town area, correct? Yes Monticello, at the lake actually.
Swatdoc, the hub is off of an 81 CR450, for pure looks alone. It was a REAL pita due to the actuator arm is behind the axle. Waaay too much work especially that I had an almost zero hour wheel from the roller,but that is what I wanted. I think you mean Jim Sawtell on airbox? That is where mine came from (I believe the Dentons do the same???) His mold was supposedly taken from an RC box but the cover from Joe's Pomeroy RC will not fit it, close but no go. I am using the TwinAir integral boot style for the Hondas; I also use that on my 79 250. You just need to be sure that it is supported properly. The airboxes are the tricky item on these bigblock conversions and I just did not think it was worth the effort and went with buying one, albeit that's against my nature.
StevieD, always admired yours and your company's work and the compliments are mutual Sir. Cheers! Unreal the stuff we build just because "it would be cool". The first ti sliders I did were for a Thor arm on my Fox RM370 and this ProFab/DG arm needed something special I thought. The period look was the intention from the beginning with no corners cut!!! I used 450 forks with emulators and even a round slide carb in hopes to achieve. There is much ti & al scattered around, much hidden internally and I could do more but just started getting a little burned out on it. It needs to be raced now and it will be next year I assure you but maybe with a VAULT and roll cage around the tank!!!
I still need one more nice 81 cr450 fork boot if anybody has one that they would sell me as one of mine is split.
Again I really appreciate the nice words, it sort of makes all of those long hours worthwhile to me.
SOHC
11/9/2015 10:57pm
I love that red motor, is this the model they called the "Ping King" ?
swatdoc
11/10/2015 9:33am
Thanks Ty and Stevie. I think at first I will just go with a 78-80 rear hub just for ease of the build. Maybe later down the line I'll go with the newer hub just for the looks.

Will start looking for a 250 air filter cage and boot. And yes, I did mean Jim Sawtell on the airbox. Need to have Jim make me one of his exhaust pipes too

Post a reply to: Has TyDog shown his 480 yet?

The Latest