Graphics

Rovalova
Edited Date/Time 4/29/2015 10:45am
Need some help with graphics, does anyone know if you can re- adhere old screen printed graphics that keep lifting. They are new and still have there backing on, but the ones I placed are starting to lift due to there age, was thinking a 3m spray adhesive may work, anyone have any ideas, thanks in advance guys
|
notme
6/26/2013 10:34am
Yes, try the 3m super 77. Just remember it is not as forgiving as the glue thats on the graphic, once its down its DOWN!
Kidkawie
6/26/2013 11:32am
notme wrote:
Yes, try the 3m super 77. Just remember it is not as forgiving as the glue thats on the graphic, once its down its DOWN!
Good to know. I tried superglue once on some old PC graphics, no dice.
Rovalova
6/26/2013 1:52pm
thank guys, I have also spoken to a guy from 3m, tells me they have a product that might be the go, its a doubled linered sheet about 0.3 of a mil thick, peel one side off and apply to sticky side of graphic then once that is done it should a good as new, just peel the other side off when you wan t use it, just like a normal graphic comes in sheets, strips or rolls, special glue sle300 that meant or excellent adhesion to plastics, and powder coats, they use it on white good emblems and control panel fascias. Going to buy a small strip to test, back to back with the super 77.
Kidkawie
6/27/2013 5:55am
What's the sheet material called?

The Shop

Rovalova
7/22/2013 10:08pm
Kidkawie wrote:
What's the sheet material called?
Just a FYI, have received my 3m 300sle sheets (a4 size) tested it on a set of original 90's pro circuit screen printed front guard graphics. First peeled the graphic off with slight heat as not to stretch but help what glue was holding to release, peeled top layer off 3m, then layed pro circuit graphic down on it. Cut edges back to meet the original graphic. When I was ready peeled the backing off as you would per normal graphic and installed as normal. Worked perfectly and could not see the new layer was there even on the clear parts of the graphic (unless you leave a careless fingerprint on it- I did on a test decal :-) )
Best way to revive lifting graphics holds unbelievably strong very hard to peel back off.

Cheers
Rovalova
4/25/2015 3:35pm
Haven't actually tried it direct to a tank, but I cannot see why it wouldn't work, glue is the same as used by the decal companies that run 3M products (apparently). In saying that, the only issue Ive had is old glue reacting with the new adhesive, if the graphic is used try and remove old glue and dirt/dust etc first, hasnt been any issues if I apply it to and old unused graphic. Also this stuff sticks hard and strong very hard to peel back up if miss aligned, I tried on my build and it pulled up the paint off the swingarm. Angry
Jackie_Dorn
4/25/2015 4:26pm
Im restoring a 1990 Rm 250 and needing some help on finding some radiator shroud oem style graphics . If anyone has any info I would appreciate. Thanks.
Mighty8ies
4/28/2015 4:22am
I just got my hands on a new set of n-style graphics that are probably about 15 years old, now im thinking of using that 300LSE sheet for it. Its for the kx 125/250 94-98 so no graphic will touch the tank at all. My question is, will it react with the old glue or something like that, does the old glue need to be removed or can i be sure and calm about just putting the sheet right on the back of the graphic (the graphic is brand new)? I also thought, the old glue is bad by now, that wont make the 300LSE stick bad? And what thickness of that sheet would you recommend? Half paranoid questioning haha but i really want to do this right from start and not waste my graphics that took a looong time to find! Thanx alot! /Joakim N
Rovalova
4/28/2015 1:41pm
Mighty8ies wrote:
I just got my hands on a new set of n-style graphics that are probably about 15 years old, now im thinking of using that 300LSE...
I just got my hands on a new set of n-style graphics that are probably about 15 years old, now im thinking of using that 300LSE sheet for it. Its for the kx 125/250 94-98 so no graphic will touch the tank at all. My question is, will it react with the old glue or something like that, does the old glue need to be removed or can i be sure and calm about just putting the sheet right on the back of the graphic (the graphic is brand new)? I also thought, the old glue is bad by now, that wont make the 300LSE stick bad? And what thickness of that sheet would you recommend? Half paranoid questioning haha but i really want to do this right from start and not waste my graphics that took a looong time to find! Thanx alot! /Joakim N
I can only give you my experience with it, I used it on original 93 splitfire graphics that looked fine, once on after about 2 days the edges started peeling, and then bubbling in places, after trying lots of things on a few spare pieces I had I found the 300lse to work the best. Most graphic kits have a couple of spare/extra decals so I would test on one of those remove half the original tack and leave the other half then see if theres a difference. The only place it did not work perfectly for me was on the rear guard but my graphic was already down and stuck really well, with only the edges peeling, trying to peel it off was stretching and tearing the decal so i just slipped the 300lse undr it. It still worked okay but not 100% but I think there was dust or something there I could not clean. My graphics are screen printed so I could not clean the old glue off as anything I used reacted with the paint in the graphic I left it on, and it worked great in my case. Thickness, as far as I know, it only comes in one and its ultra thin and does not make it any different, about as thick as food cling wrap plastic. Hope that helps.
Mighty8ies
4/29/2015 10:45am
Thanx alot for your answer! Your right about the extra decals, i auctally got two n-style logo fender side decals that i will make som tests on first. Dont know if my graphics are screen printed or made with another method, but its a usual early 20's N-style ultra graphic & seat cover kit, made of vinyl i think. Could screen printed maybe be like those usual 90s oem graphics that feels super thin and the colors is printed on top of/on the out side of the graphic? The ones I got feels like they have a clear layer (thats the vinyl mabe?) on top of the "colors". Dont know if i dare to try to remove the glue from these ones, only got one set n i refuse to ruin them, like playing with thinner or acetone feels like begging for stuff to melt haha! Thanx alot man!

Post a reply to: Graphics

The Latest