For you jokers with all the wrong tools

newmann
Edited Date/Time 10/7/2014 6:07pm
I needed to drill the swingarm pivot holes in my PK Racing XR75 mono shock frame from 10mm to 12 mm. The guys that built these back in the day had a pretty archaic approach to how not to make a swingarm pivot properly and safely for a fat guy so I decided it needed to be upgraded to use a1974-78 CR125 pivot bolt, dust caps and pivot bushing. First off, since this is a frame we are working with, the first piece of tooling required is a frame machine to sit this all on.

One frame rack, check.

Special drill fixture from my friendly machinist with a cut down drill bit for centering and alignment of the new hole to be reamed, check.

Low speed air drill is the best I could do on short notice. Clamping my Smithy home lathe to the frame rack was going to be a bit troublesome. First reamer up, check.

Once that hole was opened up I stepped up to the larger one for a nice precise and straight 12mm hole. Second hole punch up, check.

Once drilled, a little polishing roll finishes things up for a perfect fit of an original CR swinger bolt.

I gotta admit, I probably could have done this with a unibit drill bit, but the fancy tooling made for a truly professional job. What I couldn't have done without though was the frame machine as it was a necessity for working on the frame. All that special tooling and fixturing, well I'm done with it so it just got tossed in the trash.

All hooked up.

|
sgthubbard#60
10/7/2014 12:21pm
Rolling on the floor laughing my fucking ass off!!!!!! Tears came out of my eyes when I got to the picture of the trach can. Well done Joe, I hope Rob approves.
newmann
10/7/2014 12:34pm
I would hope he would get a chuckle out of it as well. If we can't laugh, joke and poke a little fun, all the while learning a little something from one another then why even bother coming here?
newmann
10/7/2014 12:36pm
I hope that trash can was properly calibrated.
Oh, I can guarantee that can is way out of spec. Beyond calibrating at this point. My porter here at the shop takes his frustrations out on it every morning when he has to empty it into the dumpster.

The Shop

GIwasB4
10/7/2014 1:07pm
rob.boucher.547 just took his shirt off.
tydog
10/7/2014 5:36pm
Very glad to see that ALL tooling was disposed of so as to none of your trade secrets were stolen by the moto Nazis.
XRs are very cool!
newmann
10/7/2014 6:07pm
Still busy cutting up the frame rack. Ran out of acetylene. Smile

Post a reply to: For you jokers with all the wrong tools

The Latest