Doh .. Have I

newmann
5/11/2011 11:36am
First things first, put some decent suspension on it. Even if you stick with the stock steel swingarm, put on a set of piggyback Ohlins or something similar set up for your weight and that bike. On the front, a 1983 CR250 or 480 front end with 43mm forks make all the difference in the world. Search the old school section here and it's been shown that all of the 1987 CR250 (best Honda forks ever...) upper fork tubes and cartridge internals will fit right into the 83 lower legs. The 80 engine is pretty fast if you keep it wound up. Pick up an extra cylinder and head off ebay or Marks motorcycle swapmeet and have it freshened up so you'll have a spare when you need it. I have a 34mm flat slide Mikuni on ours with a stock pipe and stock porting and she runs really good.

VMX Racing for plastics, seat covers and decals.
Terry Cable for cables if not available through Honda
Twin Air for their replacement air filter assemby as the original is a royal pain in the ass.
Sprocket Specialties for all your sprocket combos
Cometic for gasket sets
Search the internet for stock cast Honda pistons and keep the next size available. They have always outlasted Wisecos for me.

If you have to rebuild the crank and get one of the aftermarket rod kits, check clearance on the engine cases before final assembly as it may make contact on the cases where the piston skirt fits down into them. Little clearance work required sometimes.

There are seal and bearing kits available from Boss Bearing, but I've always tried to stick with OEM crank seals.

Hot Foot Moto has intake manifolds and chain rubbers/buffers available.

DO NOT use Barnett replacement clutch fibers, I've worn out a lot of hard to replace parts with those abrasive pieces of crap.
newmann
5/11/2011 11:41am

Oldest son ripping on the 80 CR125

VMX side panels with home made aluminum brackets.
pomster
5/11/2011 12:04pm
Thanks for the advice ..... Plenty there for a start, is the engine reliable and whats the reliability like compared to the coolers? just one more (pushing my luck) the 87 forks, do you need any special tools for the mods and servicing?
Nice bike by the way
newmann
5/11/2011 12:18pm
Only reliability issues we've had has been with the forged Wiseco pistons. Can't seem to get much use out of them. Tried different tolerances, always clearance the exhaust port bridge, still can't seem to get many hours out of them. Seem to be able to go forever on a cast piston.

From what I gathered, the 83/87 fork mod is pretty much a bolt together package. "TyDog" here on Vital is getting ready to assemble a set himself pretty soon. He should be able to shed a little light on that subject as well. Other than basic fork tools/ seal drivers, don't know of anything else necessary.

That 80 CR125 has been one of the favorite bikes in the family garage. Abused it for a bunch of years on the original lower end until rebuilding the complete bike a couple years ago.

The Shop

wfoyz250
5/12/2011 8:55am
Ditto, no Wiseco for me either. I prefer the metalurgy of a cast piston. OEM yamaha for my YZ's.
tydog
5/12/2011 1:52pm
I was told that the 83 slider / 87 tube & internals combo was pretty much just a "swap". I believe there was thread here once about an 83 that contained a little info on it.
I am going to do some machine work to my sliders to fit old school wipers and do away with the fork boots. So, it will be a few weeks before I have anything further and god only knows when I will have a ride report on them, as I am just starting on the bike. They should work just like an 87 though, which Joe already said was great.
g0rd057
5/13/2011 5:09pm
pomster wrote:
Doh .. Have I done the right thing. Hi all i'm a newbie here and this is my first post ...... so here goes. Decided to...
Doh .. Have I done the right thing.

Hi all i'm a newbie here and this is my first post ...... so here goes.

Decided to take the plunge and go for it, i'm going to buy a 1980 Honda CR125ra Red Bullet Elsinore, thats a mouthfull is'nt it lol. Its a bike I used to pine over when I was a kid, being that my parents could'nt afford it, so I had to settle for a little road bike with knobblies. I dont get the bike untill I sell my YZF250 The guy will hold for me seeings I left a deposit ..... 1500 pounds sterlin seems alot of money for a 31 year old bike, and one that needs work at that, but thats the going rate over here in the uk. Anyway down to the crux of the matter which are my concerns regarding parts for these bikes, as they are like chickens teeth here, where are good places to source parts, what are the reliability issues, do they brake easily. I really need as much info as possible, especially as I intend to race the bike against the moderns. Thanks!
Early Elsinores seem to be one of the more difficult vintage models to locate parts for.
ebay is always an option if you want to go that route.
Here's a website dedicated to old works Elsinores..... "http://www.vintagefactory.com"
Lots of historical info and photos of restored racers.
They don't seem to have a lot parts to offer though.
pomster
5/14/2011 4:04am
These rear Ohlins shocks,
Are they still available or do you have to get them made? And cost, what would they be .... New and used.

Post a reply to: Doh .. Have I

The Latest