DMS Frame/ TT500

Prairieboy43
Edited Date/Time 3/27/2015 3:19pm
Picked up a Dick Mann Frame/ yamaha TT500 motor yesterday. Looks like a good project. Like the tractor power of those old yamaha 500. Does anyone have info on these dick mann frames. I didnt know dick was a motocrosser.
Cheers
PB43

|
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
3/26/2015 12:00pm
Awesome. Bugs built them and raced them in the late 70's. He used to show up at local races in the late 70's and race 500 pro class on it, in his 40's or 50's, against some of the best on for then state of the art big bores/ (have some B&W shots somewhere). Raced againstBugs also raced some Trans AMA support classes in NorCal in the early 70's and also laid out tracks, including the classic Sears Trans AMA track. Then you can add his ISDT work. I know the guy pissed some vintage guys off in his later years, but he may be the greatest American motorcyclist ever when you consider the full body of his work

Those are pretty rare birds and worth quite a bit. That's a helluva score; I've only seen one other in the last 15 years. The area where I grew up (went to school in Richmond) had a rich motorcycling tradition, lots of active clubs like Richmond Ramblers and the OMC, lots of people largely in class C and enduros, and the traditionalists loved those four bangers when Yamaha introduced them. Bugs was one of the early advocates of MX and made the cross over. n

But of trivia, before moving to Pinole, Brad Lackey's house was about three blocks from Dick Mann's.

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
3/26/2015 12:54pm
By the way, BobbyM raced Bugs more than once when Bugs was racing those. Before, he'd show up with a Beezer as usual.
newmann
3/26/2015 1:30pm
About the bike, neat find. The local Yamaha dealer here in town always had some TT500 desert sleds built up on DMS frames. He was always going to Baja to ride.
Prairieboy43
3/26/2015 1:31pm
I didn't know much about Dick Mann, except watching on Any Sunday movie, and being flat track and Daytona champion. I did not start following Mx until early 80's. Ross Pederson was the Canadian champ ( more than a decade). Hannah was winding down. RJ, Wardy, Omara, Baily, Barnett, Glover were in there prime. Dick Was a hell of a motorcyclist. Pretty rare breed, to win in all those different motorcycle events. America should make this guy a national icon.
Back to the frame. Young kid had it. He was moving to a different province. Had this, TT500, It 465. I initially went to look at the 465. Then saw the DMS frame/motor. Picked them up together for a couple hundred bucks. They both work. Looks like my projects for the next yr.
There was cool items with the frame/ motor. Supertrapp pipe, different cam, piston, 36 and 38mm carb. Two sets of shocks, fox+ stock. Two sets of fork sets. Stock TT and 38mm forks (new). Big clarke desert tank. Preston Petty f/r fenders. Needs rubber, chain, and sprockets. Beefy frame and tubing. Beefier than the IT465 frame.
I wonder how it ended up here in Canada? The kid did'nt know. Says he had it for 5 yrs. But did'nt get around to assembling bike. His loss my gain.
Cheers
PB43

The Shop

Prairieboy43
3/26/2015 1:46pm
Awesome. Bugs built them and raced them in the late 70's. He used to show up at local races in the late 70's and race 500...
Awesome. Bugs built them and raced them in the late 70's. He used to show up at local races in the late 70's and race 500 pro class on it, in his 40's or 50's, against some of the best on for then state of the art big bores/ (have some B&W shots somewhere). Raced againstBugs also raced some Trans AMA support classes in NorCal in the early 70's and also laid out tracks, including the classic Sears Trans AMA track. Then you can add his ISDT work. I know the guy pissed some vintage guys off in his later years, but he may be the greatest American motorcyclist ever when you consider the full body of his work

Those are pretty rare birds and worth quite a bit. That's a helluva score; I've only seen one other in the last 15 years. The area where I grew up (went to school in Richmond) had a rich motorcycling tradition, lots of active clubs like Richmond Ramblers and the OMC, lots of people largely in class C and enduros, and the traditionalists loved those four bangers when Yamaha introduced them. Bugs was one of the early advocates of MX and made the cross over. n

But of trivia, before moving to Pinole, Brad Lackey's house was about three blocks from Dick Mann's.

Good Pic FTE. Next time I am down south. I will bring the DMS500 for him to ride and sign. CoolCoolCool
Honda88L
3/26/2015 4:36pm
I don't know what the details are or what the heck happened to him later in life but I know there is some issues with the AMA as well, I think he sides with AHRMA in that whole deal. It sounds to me like he got a bit bitter with age. No matter the case the guy was hard core. I own and have read "Mann Of His Time" by Ed Youngblood twice and it is a great read. Not sure where else you can find it besides Amazon and I am quite surprised at where the price is:

http://www.amazon.com/Mann-His-Time-Ed-Youngblood/dp/188431340X/ref=cm_…

Crazy thing is my wife and kids bought that book for me for fathers day like 10 years ago AT the AMA museum for like 15 bucks...

Definitely worth reading. Nice find on that frame by the way.
neverwas
Fantasy
740th
3/27/2015 3:19pm
Great find and purchase!
He was one of the best to ever throw a leg over a bike and in any discipline of competition.
I remember watching him at the San Jose mile and later in life at the local MX races,always fast.

Post a reply to: DMS Frame/ TT500

The Latest