Cr 250 lower case interchange question

sandman768
Can anyone verify if the 97-2001 cr 250 lower engine cases will interchange with the 92-96 cr 250"s...thanks...
|
Bimotofab
7/5/2017 1:53pm
Lower like complete bottom end? Or side cases ie water pump?
sandman768
7/5/2017 3:50pm
Bimotofab wrote:
Lower like complete bottom end? Or side cases ie water pump?
As in bare inner engine cases, Appears most of the internals can still be had new, right & left engine cases are NLA or I would just buy a new Oem left case, which is what I need....I"m about 95% sure cases are the same up until Honda went to the case Reed engine...
Bimotofab
7/5/2017 3:55pm
I doubt they are interchangeable if they have different part numbers, from my experience Honda did not use common parts between models and years the way suzuki and yamaha did, who knows though, I would guess you would have to try it to find out

The Shop

sandman768
7/8/2017 5:18am
tuggy450 wrote:
Sandman I am in the same boat sort of , from what i understand, there were some minor differences in cases, not sure if you could...
Sandman I am in the same boat sort of , from what i understand, there were some minor differences in cases, not sure if you could use say a left 92 and an 01 right side case..TRY THIS LINK

http://www.oem-cycle.com/HONDACR250BIKEID.shtml
Thanks for posting that Tuggy450, I have seen a few 96 bottom ends for sale...Since I have to buy used, I"m going to try & stick with a 96 bottom end.... That's a pretty extensive database!
7/8/2017 10:55am
95% sure they are all identical. I had this with a 96/97 motor I built earlier in the year. We ended up using a complete different set of cases. I think we ended up using a set of 99 cases?
But what i would do to double check is, check the part numbers of the parts your NOT swapping (crank, transmission shafts, selector fork shafts, maybe they made one of the bolts longer or shorter? That kinda stuff) It's a little time consuming but if the numbers are the same then you should be good to go!

As a bit of info, when Honda change something (anything!!) it gets a new part number. Different colour finish on the casting? Different part number. A change from magnesium to alloy? Different number!!
In the late 69's and early 70's virtually all Honda road bikes had the same indicators, round lights on short chrome storks. Every single model has a different part number for these.... the only difference? The length of the wires!!!!
92-93 rear suspension linkage, 2 completely different part numbers. The only difference? 93's were supllied with the outer bushes/collars as part of the assembly, in 92' they were seperate items.
Other brands aren't quite so 'pedantic'. eg Kawasaki's Z900/Z1000 and there 'sub model' rear wheel spindles/axles.... there are at least 3 variations... but they all have the same part number!!!

Stevie
sandman768
7/8/2017 12:14pm
StevieD113 wrote:
95% sure they are all identical. I had this with a 96/97 motor I built earlier in the year. We ended up using a complete different...
95% sure they are all identical. I had this with a 96/97 motor I built earlier in the year. We ended up using a complete different set of cases. I think we ended up using a set of 99 cases?
But what i would do to double check is, check the part numbers of the parts your NOT swapping (crank, transmission shafts, selector fork shafts, maybe they made one of the bolts longer or shorter? That kinda stuff) It's a little time consuming but if the numbers are the same then you should be good to go!

As a bit of info, when Honda change something (anything!!) it gets a new part number. Different colour finish on the casting? Different part number. A change from magnesium to alloy? Different number!!
In the late 69's and early 70's virtually all Honda road bikes had the same indicators, round lights on short chrome storks. Every single model has a different part number for these.... the only difference? The length of the wires!!!!
92-93 rear suspension linkage, 2 completely different part numbers. The only difference? 93's were supllied with the outer bushes/collars as part of the assembly, in 92' they were seperate items.
Other brands aren't quite so 'pedantic'. eg Kawasaki's Z900/Z1000 and there 'sub model' rear wheel spindles/axles.... there are at least 3 variations... but they all have the same part number!!!

Stevie
Thanks stevieD113, I have done some reverse part interchanging as you suggested, many of the parts that fit into the cases are the same, bearings, gaskets, shift drum ect. I will buy complete bottom end of whatever yr I get so I have both sets to compare.

Post a reply to: Cr 250 lower case interchange question

The Latest