Cleaning a weathered triple clamp without soda-blasting

Edited Date/Time 8/26/2014 12:33pm
Are there any chemical solutions in helping clean dirty, weathered triple clamps? I don't want to polish it - want it to retain the matt OEM finish.
|
jtracing6
8/23/2014 3:54pm
Aqua or vapour blasting is your best bet. It will look like new and not look polished. Also it doesn't stain from finger prints while you are handling it.
jtracing6
8/23/2014 11:14pm
No, if you sand blast quite coarse any way it leaves finger prints when handled. When you aqua or soda blast it smoothes off and probably seals the surface of the aluminium and you don't get dirty/oily finger marks. It depends what your restoration goal is and access to the services. I don't know about soda blasting, from my understanding it is a more 'at home' type of aqua blasting.
dogger315
8/24/2014 11:45am
Are there any chemical solutions in helping clean dirty, weathered triple clamps? I don't want to polish it - want it to retain the matt OEM...
Are there any chemical solutions in helping clean dirty, weathered triple clamps? I don't want to polish it - want it to retain the matt OEM finish.
First of all, is this an bare Aluminum casting or was it painted. If it's a bare casting, the best way I've found is to use glass
bead blasting. This will clean the Aluminum up while still retaining the OE finish.

If the clamps were painted, coated or anodized, there are different methods to deal with each one.

Aqua blasting is big in Europe and just starting to show up here in the U.S. It's a form of soda blasting with water added
to control dust and aid in material removal. Think of it as a cross between pressure washing and soda blasting. It does
produce a slightly different texture than dry soda or media blasting. I like it because the part doesn't need to be degreased
as is necessary when using dry media.

As far as fingerprints from media blasting, this is only a problem when handling freshly blasted metal as it is a form of flash
rust. Soda blasting actually leaves a protective coating on the substrate which helps to prevent flash rust - one of the benefits
of soda over other media.

dogger

The Shop

Kidkawie
8/26/2014 12:33pm
Muriatic acid or muriatic acid based cleaners like aluminum wheel cleaner, or trailer wash (Zepalume) and a small nylon brush will clean it up. Use latex gloves though.

Post a reply to: Cleaning a weathered triple clamp without soda-blasting

The Latest