CR 480 / 250 Aftermarket Rim Question

Whymee
12/5/2014 9:06am Edited Date/Time 12/6/2014 2:06pm
Gents,

I am restoring a 83 CR480 back to race spec. Due to reasons beyond my control I need to throw a rim on the rear hub. Yes I know about Buchannon's and no, I have never respoked a rim before.

I see all kinds of rims on the 83 CR's but can't find any info as to which model # of rims were used. Can someone tell me if an Excell rim off of of a modern bike would work or a part number off of a new rim? I would assume, possibly incorrectly, that a 36 hole rim ought to fit a 36 hole hub, regardless of the machine that it is on, as long as the lacing pattern is the same.

I realize that I am going to have to purchase spokes too and I probably will end up doing the front rim to match.

Am I missing something here in my thought process?

Yes I can send Buchannon's my hubs & a blank check & let them work their magic, for a price, a hefty one at that. I would rather save a few bux, do the work myself and learn something in the process.

Can someone that has experience on this shed some light on the subject?

Thanks in advance!

Stan

|
captmoto
12/5/2014 11:01am
Buchannons spoke are the industry standard in vintage stuff.
Wheels and suspension are the least likely DIY items. Wheels are worth learning to do.
This company gets alot of props in the vintage world.
http://www.fullcircleracingltd.com/vintage-mx-rims-and-spokes.html
I think Buchannon can tell you what Excel wheel you need but I think they drill the rim to match the hub.
You could also ask on Vintagemx.us
Whymee
12/5/2014 1:57pm Edited Date/Time 12/5/2014 2:03pm
I had planned on Buchannon's spokes. As you say, industry standard.

Just for the hell of it I decided to call Buchannon and see what kind of dollars I am up against.

Sun rims
Front 194.00
Rear 250.00
add 48.00 per wheel for gold

Excell Rims
Front 185.00
Rear 216.00
silver only

Spokes
99.00 per wheel

plus shipping

*Gulp*

I know some will say that it is the "cost of doing the vintage restoration" thing. And to a point your correct. I am just trying to be thrifty for a piece thats going to see the track. Not one that will only see the interior of a man cave!
Whymee
12/5/2014 2:30pm Edited Date/Time 12/5/2014 2:41pm
Just got off the horn with Excel

They don't have a listing that far back. I assume this is their best guess for my application...

Front
21x1.60 36 hole IC(G,S,B ) -408 174.00 Fleabay 117.00
Rear
18x2.15 36 hole FE(G,S,B ) -410 195.00 Fleabay 130.00
19x2.15 36 hole GE(G,S,B ) -410 205.00 Fleabay 136.00

(G,S,B ) = gold, silver, black

They say the stock rims have a hole size of: front 7.5mm, rear 8mm

The Excel's have a hole size of: front 8.5mm, rear 8.5mm

Seems like I am getting closer to an answer.

I tried calling Full Circle Racing & had to leave a message.
captmoto
12/5/2014 5:50pm
Like I said, go to Vintagemx.us and see what the route to take is. There are lots of people out there running Excels on lots of different Vintage bikes.
The spoke nipples will be sized to work with the rims. It's all just a new learning curve, part of the vintage/EVO experience.

The Shop

dogger315
12/5/2014 9:46pm
Whymee wrote:
Gents, I am restoring a 83 CR480 back to race spec. Due to reasons beyond my control I need to throw a rim on the rear...
Gents,

I am restoring a 83 CR480 back to race spec. Due to reasons beyond my control I need to throw a rim on the rear hub. Yes I know about Buchannon's and no, I have never respoked a rim before.

I see all kinds of rims on the 83 CR's but can't find any info as to which model # of rims were used. Can someone tell me if an Excell rim off of of a modern bike would work or a part number off of a new rim? I would assume, possibly incorrectly, that a 36 hole rim ought to fit a 36 hole hub, regardless of the machine that it is on, as long as the lacing pattern is the same.

I realize that I am going to have to purchase spokes too and I probably will end up doing the front rim to match.

Am I missing something here in my thought process?

Yes I can send Buchannon's my hubs & a blank check & let them work their magic, for a price, a hefty one at that. I would rather save a few bux, do the work myself and learn something in the process.

Can someone that has experience on this shed some light on the subject?

Thanks in advance!

Stan

The OE rim was a DID. If you were doing a resto for show, I could hook you up with a source for
a pair of replacements. For a rider, you're better off going with a Sun. You could make a late model
Excel or DID rim work by sizing the spokes and nipples accordingly. Just tell Buchanans what you
have and they will sell you the correct gauge to work.

Lacing won't be too bad as there are only two sets of spokes front and rear (inners and outers).
You will need some kind of a stand to lace on - either home made or store bought. I use a Park
truing stand. They make everything from mild to wild, but the basic "cheapo" stand is all you need
and will set you back about $125. There are plenty of "how to" videos on youtube.

Should be a fun project and you might learn a useful skill in the process.

dogger

MaxPower
12/6/2014 6:13am
Never building a wheel before i wanted to try it for myself on my KX.
Im guessing its because i went up to a 19 (I can never leave well enough alone) I had to reangle the hole in the rim on 9 spokes. That set of spokes needed more of an angle. I didnt realize until I was tightening the spokes after a second ride.
My point is if something looks funky when you are building it, it is. Im the first I have heard with this issue so im guessing its because I changed rim sizes.
And take pictures of your wheel before you cut the hub out.
I was able to slide spokes straight in to the rim holes with newer bike strait pull spokes
Old school hook spokes needed room to get them in the right spot and just drove me crazy. I finally ended lacing them in their pattern and feeding them into the rim. I think i loosely zip tied them at the cross so i didn't lose my hard work when feeding them.
Im sure that is not how a real wheel builder does it. And you will get much more knowledgeable advice. Thats just my story of getting a new rim on the back of my old bike
pete24
12/6/2014 9:26am
ha ha you guys should try yamaha Z spokes i bought the rims and spokes from Bucannans and they i laced them i took me over an hour to do the back rim it was pretty hard, but those sun rims are beautiful well worth the money
12/6/2014 10:45am Edited Date/Time 12/6/2014 10:49am
Rims and spokes, are the parts of a bike, that should never be compromised, or mismatched, or skimped on
to get buy on a budget ! period! Spend the money, buy complete match drilled set's, spokes from a good source!

You do not want to launch a CR480 off a jump, blow a wheel and break your neck!
Or worse crash into another racer and break his neck, because of a few bucks saved on
crap wheels.
I have destroyed front, and rear stock wheels on hard landings, and it does not end well,
do it right once!

Mike P.
12/6/2014 2:06pm
Having built a Ahrma CR480 for competing and winning a championship, I recommend you call Buchanan spoke and wheel and have them cut you a 19" wheel either a Sun or an Excel (I used Sun to keep it real), but trust me, you cannot go wrong with the 19" wheel. Also, if Sun builds the wheels for you have them send them to Race Tech to have the brake's arched (costs $400.00 for both wheels), but if you want to stop this beast this is the only way to go. Mike P

Post a reply to: CR 480 / 250 Aftermarket Rim Question

The Latest