Bruce Bunch, Rick Hemme, Kyle Fleming

mx295
5/3/2010 3:05pm Edited Date/Time 5/3/2010 3:34pm
Rick hemme's nephew had a bad crash yesterday at the edwards round of the dunes town series. He broke both of his femers and one was a compound, Tyler needs our prayers!
chipnice
5/3/2010 4:15pm
Prayers sent, If you talk to john tell him Hi from Chip
GMB YZ450
5/10/2010 1:57am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:43pm
That R&D RM 80/105 is sweet I remember bruce flying on that mini I still think about them today ...............Bruce Rick And Kyle life is not fair ...........glad to see bruce's mini
does any one know if there is A Hemme or a Bunch mini for sale would love to own ONE
GREAT PICS keep them coming Thx GMB
wownd out
5/10/2010 6:39pm Edited Date/Time 5/10/2010 6:42pm
Webcokid wrote:
[img]http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/Webcokid/bunchtrophey.jpg[/img] Ok Chuck, screwed that one up, just like my racing career, ha! Anyways, this is how it all began for Bruce. This is his first...

Ok Chuck, screwed that one up, just like my racing career, ha! Anyways, this is how it all began for Bruce. This is his first trophey from Saddleback Park, 1977. Pretty sure he was on an XR but I could be wrong. Picture: Complement of Bird Legs Taylor himself.
Ok that looks like the back of a (New) trophy and the engraving emblem is too big for it, and it's not centered looks fishy to me! and i didn't know Bruce raced way back in January of 1977. I'm just sayin. Trophies turn green after awhile and i doubt someone could have kept it that nice for 33 years? especially a little, non big event trophy, just sayin! Oh and why the hell would anyone but Bruce's family have Bruces first trophy???

The Shop

Webcokid
5/10/2010 8:51pm
wownd out wrote:
Ok that looks like the back of a (New) trophy and the engraving emblem is too big for it, and it's not centered looks fishy to...
Ok that looks like the back of a (New) trophy and the engraving emblem is too big for it, and it's not centered looks fishy to me! and i didn't know Bruce raced way back in January of 1977. I'm just sayin. Trophies turn green after awhile and i doubt someone could have kept it that nice for 33 years? especially a little, non big event trophy, just sayin! Oh and why the hell would anyone but Bruce's family have Bruces first trophy???
You've figured us out Charlie. You oughta become a detective! 404?x
chipnice
5/10/2010 9:15pm
wownd out wrote:
Ok that looks like the back of a (New) trophy and the engraving emblem is too big for it, and it's not centered looks fishy to...
Your a god damn genius Gump, see you saturday ?
5/12/2010 7:30pm
Hey webco check this video out , be prepared to fight back the tears dude . Awsome video Thats all I will say . Bump to the top of the page were this thread belongs . I think a book is due webco .
AZ35
Fantasy
489th
5/12/2010 8:56pm
Hey webco check this video out , be prepared to fight back the tears dude . Awsome video Thats all I will say . Bump to...
Hey webco check this video out , be prepared to fight back the tears dude . Awsome video Thats all I will say . Bump to the top of the page were this thread belongs . I think a book is due webco .
Wow..... Incredible tribute video, thank you for posting.

5/12/2010 9:04pm Edited Date/Time 5/12/2010 9:05pm
Hey webco check this video out , be prepared to fight back the tears dude . Awsome video Thats all I will say . Bump to...
AZ35 wrote:

Some really cool pics of bruce,Ricky and kyle in their . Heck even some of the other legends .
5/17/2010 8:13pm
Talked with Chris Taylor at the Harry's party about Bruce for a while. Chris had some cool stories about Bruce and his Toyota truck as well as some pictures. He also told me Bruce had an offer to ride factory Yamaha's on a 125 for 1983 as well as the Suzuki spot.
Wolfman
5/20/2010 4:39am
Crap, the user took down the video.
Webcokid
5/20/2010 4:03pm Edited Date/Time 5/20/2010 4:05pm
Wolfman wrote:
That user/you tube post is from Kim Douglas-R&D team. She was super fast! She made a few changes and it is out on u tube If not, she is added some more riders to it, then it will me back up.
NW#599
5/21/2010 11:20pm
Former Oakley Rep Dana Duke

5/22/2010 3:32pm
Ok....question for everyone. This Dana Duke guy......did he really go around stopped cars at the RR crossing to try and beat the train?? Does anyone really know the truth to what happened that day at the RR crossing? If this is true, why was he not charged with murder? I hate to bring this up (and maybe I shouldn't have), but when I just viewed pictures of this guy for the first time in my life.....I couldn't help but feel angered and hatred towards him. Probably not fair to him, because I do not know him at all and have never met him. After the accident, did he talk with all the parents and family and apologize for the accident? Am I the only one feeling this way?? Crazy I still have these emotions over something that happened 30 years ago!
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
5/24/2010 9:22pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2010 9:27pm
Yes he did go around stopped cars and he did screw up big time but its not murder it was a accident and it should not have happened but he was messing around and three kids paid the price.Before the accident Duke was a very popular guy and he was good for Oakley and the riders but he can never change what happened.
Webcokid
5/25/2010 11:32am
Duke had been showing off all week, and he had taken others to the tracks to jump the car before the crash.He was trying to woo the boys away from Scott. He was told several times during the week to not approach the kids until the races were over. He went aroun the cars and was looking into the sun. Also, the lumber yard blocked his view and when they saw the train, it was too late. He was in a coma for a long time and was lucky to live. Murder? Not sure on that, but it must be murder to walk in his shoes.
Announcer
5/26/2010 6:49pm
You're right about the showing off - he even rammed the front gate one night after closing time to try and get back into the park. The investigation turned up several witnesses that said they saw him pull out of line and go around several cars on the wrong side of the road (two lane road at that time) where he got hit. The lumber company was NOT a factor as it was further back - the problem was that he was paying ABSOLUTELY NO ATTENTION. I seriously doubt the sun had much to do with it either - Dana was just a frikkin' squirrel whose driving negligence and stupidity/showing off killed three kids - and that's all there is to it. Had I been a Ponca police officer, I would have charged him with negligent vehicular homicide... but I wasn't and he wasn't either.

What's REALLY strange was the he had the BALLS to show up the next year representing Oakley - the Ambuc guys at the gate were dumbfounded that he would do such a thing. Needless to say, he got a VERY frosty reception from everyone.

Hal Sanguinetti
The Announcer

lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
5/26/2010 9:11pm Edited Date/Time 5/26/2010 9:12pm
Announcer wrote:
You're right about the showing off - he even rammed the front gate one night after closing time to try and get back into the park...
You're right about the showing off - he even rammed the front gate one night after closing time to try and get back into the park. The investigation turned up several witnesses that said they saw him pull out of line and go around several cars on the wrong side of the road (two lane road at that time) where he got hit. The lumber company was NOT a factor as it was further back - the problem was that he was paying ABSOLUTELY NO ATTENTION. I seriously doubt the sun had much to do with it either - Dana was just a frikkin' squirrel whose driving negligence and stupidity/showing off killed three kids - and that's all there is to it. Had I been a Ponca police officer, I would have charged him with negligent vehicular homicide... but I wasn't and he wasn't either.

What's REALLY strange was the he had the BALLS to show up the next year representing Oakley - the Ambuc guys at the gate were dumbfounded that he would do such a thing. Needless to say, he got a VERY frosty reception from everyone.

Hal Sanguinetti
The Announcer

He was charged with carless driving resulting in death and failure to yield to a train I am sure the DA pleaded it down because Duke was in bad shape. The sun and lumber yard excuse were not even a factor and I dont know where webco kid comes up with that because its not even in the police report. I will see if I can find it and post it , if not I will ask my brother to look it up and fax it to me. He is the police chief in Ponca City and was a patrol officer back when it happened.
Webcokid
5/27/2010 10:48am Edited Date/Time 5/27/2010 10:51am
Announcer wrote:
You're right about the showing off - he even rammed the front gate one night after closing time to try and get back into the park...

Hal Sanguinetti
The Announcer

lostboy819 wrote:
He was charged with carless driving resulting in death and failure to yield to a train I am sure the DA pleaded it down because Duke...
He was charged with carless driving resulting in death and failure to yield to a train I am sure the DA pleaded it down because Duke was in bad shape. The sun and lumber yard excuse were not even a factor and I dont know where webco kid comes up with that because its not even in the police report. I will see if I can find it and post it , if not I will ask my brother to look it up and fax it to me. He is the police chief in Ponca City and was a patrol officer back when it happened.
Well, if you can come up with a real account of the accident, it would be highly appreciated. It's not my intention to mislead or guess, but understand I have to go with the many accounts that have floated around for years of what happend. Also, understand that after the boys left, I simply checked out of racing for and was ultimatley removed from racing for good. There was no discussion, counseling, or much closure at all. It was always a big quesion mark? Personnally, I never even spoke about it again until I bought a new bike in 2005. I drove Bruce's truck to pick up my new bike and all the memories surfaced. It was almost overwhelming to change the channle on the radio, because Bruce loved that system. Needless to say, I am still deeply hurt and think about him all the time. Especially when I twist the throttle. Keep it in the red Bruce!
5/27/2010 11:43am
Announcer wrote:

Hal Sanguinetti
The Announcer

lostboy819 wrote:
He was charged with carless driving resulting in death and failure to yield to a train I am sure the DA pleaded it down because Duke...
Lostboy819....it would be intereresting if your brother could somehow find out what Mr. Duke was eventually charged with after his plea barganing. I know that people make mistakes, and we are all human.....but honestly if this nut bag really showed up the next year as an Oakley rep at the race track....it makes me question if he really has guilt over what he really did. And how in the hell did he still have a job with Oakley??? Can you imagine if that happened in 2010 vs. 1982??? Oakley does like $200+ million a year in sales, the Bunch, Hemme and Flemming familys would own Oakley today!! Did the families not go after Oakley for compensation of the loss of thier beloved sons??

Bottom line, Dana Duke's poor judgement single handedly changed the history of MX.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
5/27/2010 12:21pm
mxracer106 wrote:
Lostboy819....it would be intereresting if your brother could somehow find out what Mr. Duke was eventually charged with after his plea barganing. I know that people...
Lostboy819....it would be intereresting if your brother could somehow find out what Mr. Duke was eventually charged with after his plea barganing. I know that people make mistakes, and we are all human.....but honestly if this nut bag really showed up the next year as an Oakley rep at the race track....it makes me question if he really has guilt over what he really did. And how in the hell did he still have a job with Oakley??? Can you imagine if that happened in 2010 vs. 1982??? Oakley does like $200+ million a year in sales, the Bunch, Hemme and Flemming familys would own Oakley today!! Did the families not go after Oakley for compensation of the loss of thier beloved sons??

Bottom line, Dana Duke's poor judgement single handedly changed the history of MX.
I emailed my brother and He will see if he can find out if there was plea bargain and what it ended up as. I guess a lot of cases like these where there was no malace or intent they plea it down or drop it all together and classify it as a terrible accident and that it was.
Webcokid
6/28/2010 9:06pm
I remember the day I found out about the passing of Bruce Bunch. Some of you might know the name Brandon Schneider, he too was a...

I remember the day I found out about the passing of Bruce Bunch. Some of you might know the name Brandon Schneider, he too was a R&D rider and was a friend of mine. He told me the sad news and I couldn't believe it.

I was fortunate enough to be racing myself around this time on a 81 YZ 80 and then on a 82 CR 80, and what a awesome thing it was to watch Bruce fly around the track.

Bruce is what most of us tried to emulate. I remember being with my dad out at Indian Dunes watching the experts race and being in awe of how Bruce could go so fast and make it look so easy. My dad and I walked over to a part of the track to watch and learn from what I was seeing. I remember going out after the race to try and do what I had just watched. It definitely helped as I soon picked up on what I saw and improved quickly.

Some time back a friend of mine was talking to Dean Dickerson about purchasing a 125 that George Holland rode back in 1980 that was still sitting around the shop after all these years, he told my friend about Bruce's bike being their also and he would sell it too. Well, my friend told me about it and I jumped at the chance to buy it. The bike still had the dirt on it from Ponca City. I asked why Bruce's dad didn't keep it and was told that his dad was to tore up over the loss and didn't want to be reminded. I certainly could understand and was glad to have the opportunity to own & restore this " GEM" asap.

Dean told us that this bike was the 105cc bike that Bruce raced that day. He told us that Bruce liked the twin shock better than the new single shocker for this class. Supposedly, Suzuki made him race the 82 model in the stock class but let him ride this bike in the 105 class. Maybe someone can confirm this

This bike ran a larger carb...28mm I think, hand formed pipe. R&D airbox, custom aluminum swingarm, Trick....Triple clamps, curnutt shocks, Yamaha wheels & hubs due to being lighter & stronger,and of course Deans magic motor mods.

This is truly a mini works bike and a treasure that I'll keep for a long time to come. I hope you guys enjoy looking at it as much as I do. It never gets old looking at it.

It is true, Bruce did like the Curnutt shock set up on the 105! Maybe the extra travel was
why. Or maybe the two shocks reduced the swap effect caused by extra torque.
LB
7/12/2010 4:15pm
RandyS wrote:
I always liked Duke, I knew him from BMX and I always felt bad that he had to live with that hanging over him for the...
I always liked Duke, I knew him from BMX and I always felt bad that he had to live with that hanging over him for the rest of his life. A few years ago I heard a much different story from someone who was a strict grandfather away from being in the car about what happened and what was going on earlier at the same hump/jump.

This makes it a little easier to hate the guy.

http://contests.ironmanmagazine.com/index.cfm?go2=contests_competitor&C…
Looped Out wrote:
That's not "The Duke". He had a scar straight up his belly to his chest after the crash. He had a scar on his neck also...
That's not "The Duke". He had a scar straight up his belly to his chest after the crash. He had a scar on his neck also, because he was on life support for a long time. All his insides were pushed up into his chest from the impact. It was not pretty. I can't see an scars on this guy.

And yes, Larry Brooks was in the car and driving out the gate next to the tower. Hal S. (the announcer) stopped the car and told Larry he had to do a radio interview, so he got out and Kyle Flemming got in. Larry and Kyle wore Oakley goggles back then and "The Duke" was trying to get Bruce and Rick to wear Oakley's, so he had Larry talk to them since they were all on the same team. The Duke was taking everyone to Sonic burger, but they never came back.

All the R&D Suzuki had been protested by Kawasaki (Team Green), so Ralph Brooks, Ralph Bunch, and Big Rick Hemme were there with the bikes and watching the NMA, making sure they didn't screw up. Rudy and Dean Dickenson were there too. Larry Brooks was just walking around and his parents didn't know he had got out of the car. Jackie Brooks was told that there had been a car crash and she tore off to the train tracks and they were telling her that Kyle was Larry. She couldn't tell who it was because Kyle had come halfway out of the car and the door slammed of his head, crushing it. Kyle wore braces on his teeth and she finally realized it wasn't Larry. No kids had lived and The Duke was already taken to the hospital.

As all this was going on Larry Brooks had walked back over to were his Father was and at that same time Jackie Brooks had drove back to the track to try to find Larry. The police were there and as Jackie Brooks walked up, she saw Larry and ran over to him and grabbed him. Ralph Brooks had no idea what was going on not did Larry. The Police took Larry to the Police car and sat him in the back seat as they told all the parents what had happened. They didn't want Larry to hear the news, because those were his teammates and best friends. Ralph Bunch and the Hemme family all jumped in cars and raced out of the track and went to the Rail Road tracks or the hospital (I don't know where they went), but just after everyone was started to leave and go see what was going on, Jackie Brooks walked over to the Police car and opened the door and sat there and told Larry that everyone was dead (except Rick Hemme and The Duke) and Larry began to cry while his Mother held him. Rick Hemme has sever brain damage and he had lost one eye and I think one was his arms. Rick held on for a day or so, but they lost Brain signal and his parents had to pull the plug on the life support.

Later that night The Brooks family went to Ralph Bunch's room back at the Holiday Inn and Larry sat there was Ralph Bunch for an hour or so. While he smoked cig after cig, he talked to Larry and told him to ride everyday and learn his bike so he could get better. He talked about how much Bruce ran and rode and wanted to help Larry. He had just lost his only kid and he just had this blank look on his face. I don't think he knew what was going on right then. Ralph Bunch and Larry Brooks were just sitting there crying and talking. The hotel room door was wide open and I remember everyone was walking to the door and looking in, not knowing what to say, they would just stand there and finally walk away.

I also remember when the Hemme family checked into the Holiday Inn, they walked to their room and they said it had the smell of death in the room. They told me this after the car crash, but I will never forget then telling me that.

It's was the worst day of my life. I can still remember it like it was yesterday. I had to stop myself from crying a few minutes ago. All I can see is Larry Brooks' Mom grabbing a hold of Larry and hugging him like she had just got her son back.

It didn't stop there (in Ponca City), it was a long drive back to California and going to all the funerals. Ralph Bunch actually drove Bruce Bunch's body back in the back of his van, all the way back to California. Times were much different then.
Holy crap, I heard this was on this page. I just read this post and I started crying.......I mean I got a bit emotional, I don't cry (I'm lying). Wow, that was a crazy time in my life. I lost two of my teammates and good friends Rick and Bruce. I wasn't super good friends with Kyle, but he was just coming on and always around. And "The Duke", he was a really good friend. I used to ride with him and Jim at this track near my house in Alhambra, but the track was in East L.A. and a bad part of town. And yes I was in the car and got out to do an interview with Hal (the announcer at Ponca City). We were going to Sonic Burger and when I went to go do that interview they were suppose to bring me back a burger, fries and a shake. After the interview, I just walked around.........you know I really have no idea what I was doing. I just remember walking around and throwing rocks and stuff that kids do when their bored and alone. Sooner or later I walked over to the in-pound area were are the bikes were and I knew my Dad was over there.

That story above was just the way I remember it. Me and my Mom were just talking about this the other day. She was saying that she thought I was dead because they thought I was Kyle (same color of hair) and I guess they couldn't make out the face. But my Aunt was there and thinking much more clear than my Mom and said "that's not Larry" and they took off back to the track were me and my Dad were waiting for the whole protest bullshit to be done with. I remember the police taking Ralph Bunch to the side and telling him what had happened. I'll never forget the look on Ralph's face. And my Mom, I thought she was going to pop me like a grape, she was hugging me so tight.

Later that night I remember going Ralph Bunch's room at the Holiday Inn. My Dad and Mom took me over there to talk to him and they were drinking beer and smoking cig's like crazy. Ralph started talking about riding and what I needed to do to be better. He was in such pain, now that I think back. He was just holding the tears back. I think we were all trying to hold them back, but I wasn't doing a very good job because I just couldn't stop crying. Rick's Mom and Dad and family where out of there, they took off right away and I didn't see them till the funeral. Rick was still alive and they had Life Flighted him to some hospital pretty far away. I have no idea where Kyle's parents were. I didn't know them like I knew the Hemme's and Ralph and Bruce. Sad day in the world of Amature motocross.

That was to quietest drive home that we ever had. No fighting, no talking, nothing. Just driving in silence.

I could go on and on, but I really can't right now. I have to work. We have a bunch of testing going on this week.
Webcokid
7/12/2010 4:26pm Edited Date/Time 7/27/2010 3:23pm
NW#599 wrote:
Some talk about these three and their tragic accident in Ponca City in 1982 have been in a couple other threads on here, but I wanted...
Some talk about these three and their tragic accident in Ponca City in 1982 have been in a couple other threads on here, but I wanted to start a seperate topic just in their honor.

It was a terrible and very preventable accident that claimed the lives of these three individuals and put driver Duke Dana in a long coma and years of rehab.

They were R&D Suzuki riders along with Larry Brooks that year.

I would like to dedicate this post to any memories that community members from Vitalmx may have of these three riders. I know that I was just getting my motocross "career" started in 1979 and these were my first "hero's" of the sport since I was following the 80cc stage as a fellow rider/racer.

Please share any experiences, photo's, stories you have heard, or information you know of from any or all of these three riders.

I have an article of Rick Hemme from a newspaper in 1982 that I will share as soon as I can get it put on here.

Things I am looking for:

Pictures of all three racing/riding their bikes (preferrably 1982).

The 1982 Ponca City results from all the 80cc and 105cc Mini classes (top ten).

The Minicyle Magazine article on Ponca City 1982 and this tragedy. I remember reading it, had the magazine back then, kept it for years, but now can not find it. anybody?

Here is a link to see Bruce Bunch 1981 R7D Suzuki 105cc bike:

http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache:d2hnJE5NhqsJ:www.vintagefactory.co…
NW#599
7/14/2010 10:49am
NW#599 wrote:
Some talk about these three and their tragic accident in Ponca City in 1982 have been in a couple other threads on here, but I wanted...
Some talk about these three and their tragic accident in Ponca City in 1982 have been in a couple other threads on here, but I wanted to start a seperate topic just in their honor.

It was a terrible and very preventable accident that claimed the lives of these three individuals and put driver Duke Dana in a long coma and years of rehab.

I would like to dedicate this post to any memories that community members from Vitalmx may have of these three riders. I know that I was just getting my motocross "career" started in 1979 and these were my first "hero's" of the sport since I was following the 80cc stage as a fellow rider/racer.

Please share any experiences, photo's, stories you have heard, or information you know of from any or all of these three riders.

I have an article of Rick Hemme from a newspaper in 1982 that I will share as soon as I can get it put on here.

Things I am looking for:

The Minicyle Magazine article on Ponca City 1982 and this tragedy. I remember reading it, had the magazine back then, kept it for years, but now can not find it. anybody?

Larry,

Thanks for posting on this topic and including your memories of that dreadful time period. Certainly appreciated...
Webcokid
7/15/2010 7:34pm
So Larry, what happend with the weight thing? How did you gain so much weight at Ponca City. I think you took last in the Novice class; Right?
Webcokid
7/27/2010 3:43pm
NW#599 wrote:

Things I am looking for:

Maybe it's time! As we approach that dreaded date in history, I want everyone to remember the boys for what they brought to the sport. Dedication, Dedication, Dedication, and SPEED! I know Bruce and Rick would have made a great impact and am sure Kyle would have panned out as well. As I watched the National last Sat. at Wa. they had a few motocross flashbacks of past riders/champions from their respective times in history. During the early 80's portion, they mentioned the 125 champs, and well, it kinda rubbed me the wrong way. It shoiuld have been Bruce and Rick they were mentioning and not the other guys who slipped into that empty slot in time. No offense, but I am biased and that's my stand. Hope to see some guys at the Corona Raceway reunion this Sat, night. Looks like Bauer and Staten might make an appearance.
Out
7/29/2010 11:29pm
Bump to the top of the page were this thread should be for the next several days in memory of some kids that lived the dream and left to soon . Yes webcokid mx history would have been different if it were not for that fatefull day . Here is to your friend bruce and to also ricky and kyle . May these boys be railing the turns in heaven.
7/29/2010 11:30pm
Bump to the top of the page were this thread should be for the next several days in memory of some kids that lived the dream and left to soon . Yes webcokid mx history would have been different if it were not for that fatefull day . Here is to your friend bruce and to also ricky and kyle . May these boys be railing the turns in heaven.

Post a reply to: Bruce Bunch, Rick Hemme, Kyle Fleming

The Latest