Bought a nice 1980 Yz 250 yesterday

Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
1/21/2015 10:27pm
newmann wrote:
Sweet bike!

And so it begins..... You realize the average vintage enthusiast has 21 bikes, don't you?Smile
AHRMA361 wrote:
Damn Joe...I was hoping you said the average was 34. I could of then printed that off and shown the missus I was just the average...
Damn Joe...I was hoping you said the average was 34. I could of then printed that off and shown the missus I was just the average enthusiast. 21? C'mon Man! Laughing
Start a new thread asking how many bikes the average guy has. Whenever someone answers with a silly low number like 6, have a mod delete that post. After a dozen or so guys answer with 51, 72, 86, 126, etc., show the wife.

You're welcome. Laughing
1/22/2015 9:20am
captmoto wrote:
It will work as long as he buys them as a package. You would have to put the 465 stem in the 490 clamps. I was...
It will work as long as he buys them as a package. You would have to put the 465 stem in the 490 clamps. I was just thinking he wanted to keep it 80-81 swap. I just let a DLS brake panel go last week.
I have 84-85 triple clamps on my bike. They work because it moves the bars into a more modern feel instead of back in your lap feel
When you put it that way it makes me really want to do it. I bet relocating the handlebars like that makes a huge difference. I found some on ebay. Would these work? It looks like they're off a 81 Yz 465. Also could I use the same wheel that I already have? That would almost be a deal breaker if I couldn't with the nice rims, and powder coated hubs. Haha! 81 Yz 465 triple clamps
1/22/2015 9:22am
Cancerman wrote:
Boy, I never seen to find those vintage deals like you guys. Killer for $1400. I'm rebuilding a G model 250 right now, but man it...
Boy, I never seen to find those vintage deals like you guys. Killer for $1400. I'm rebuilding a G model 250 right now, but man it needs almost everything, and it does add up. I do enjoy doing the work though. I raced a 250 and 465 in 1980. Never broke anything on either bike, except my collar bone.Whistling
You just have to show up to the vintage races to get the good deals. There is always some crazy quack who has 35 perfectly restored vintage bikes and is looking to get rid of one. It sounds like some of those same quacks might post here on Vital too....
MaxPower
1/22/2015 12:01pm
captmoto wrote:
It will work as long as he buys them as a package. You would have to put the 465 stem in the 490 clamps. I was...
It will work as long as he buys them as a package. You would have to put the 465 stem in the 490 clamps. I was just thinking he wanted to keep it 80-81 swap. I just let a DLS brake panel go last week.
I have 84-85 triple clamps on my bike. They work because it moves the bars into a more modern feel instead of back in your lap feel
I cant believe how far back handlebars use to come on bikes stock back in the day. Somehow it didnt bother me then. I switched forks Kawaski and it put the bars over the top of the tubes instead of 1 1/2" back. They are a much more comfortable spot now.

At the same time, I dont know why it started and how anyone could ride like riders did in the 90s with the bars and levers pointing forward. Everyone had bars like Jimmy Button.

The Shop

CamP
1/22/2015 12:35pm
MaxPower wrote:
I cant believe how far back handlebars use to come on bikes stock back in the day. Somehow it didnt bother me then. I switched forks...
I cant believe how far back handlebars use to come on bikes stock back in the day. Somehow it didnt bother me then. I switched forks Kawaski and it put the bars over the top of the tubes instead of 1 1/2" back. They are a much more comfortable spot now.

At the same time, I dont know why it started and how anyone could ride like riders did in the 90s with the bars and levers pointing forward. Everyone had bars like Jimmy Button.
I use an aluminum plate to remount the bars directly over the fork of my '82 RM250. Makes the ergos feel modern and much less cramped.

mb60
1/22/2015 12:45pm
Cam,

Could you do one of these for my 84 yz 250 ? If so what would you charge sir ?
CamP
1/22/2015 1:07pm
mb60 wrote:
Cam,

I have one that I made for my '87 CR that you can try out and see if the spacing fits. You may need some spare RM bar mounts, unless the YZ bar mounts have removable bolts like the RM mounts. You'll also need some new hardware to complete it. Randy Porter made the plate for $40 and the hardware cost me $8, so if it fits you can have it for $48.

yzweldon
1/22/2015 1:11pm
I did some vintage races on my dad's bike last year and finally got a chance to get my own bike. I'm really excited about racing...
I did some vintage races on my dad's bike last year and finally got a chance to get my own bike. I'm really excited about racing it this year. It feels like I got a good deal at $1400. It basically just needs a once over to make sure everything is tight and a few random nuts and bolts. Has a fresh top end, lots of nee bearings, a powder coated frame, triple clamps, hubs and I'm really liking the gold rims.

Gold rims are the best ever. I can not understand the craze over black ones, they are the Butt ugly heaviest plain looking things ever put on a dirtbike
mb60
1/22/2015 2:16pm
mb60 wrote:
Cam,

CamP wrote:
I have one that I made for my '87 CR that you can try out and see if the spacing fits. You may need some spare...
I have one that I made for my '87 CR that you can try out and see if the spacing fits. You may need some spare RM bar mounts, unless the YZ bar mounts have removable bolts like the RM mounts. You'll also need some new hardware to complete it. Randy Porter made the plate for $40 and the hardware cost me $8, so if it fits you can have it for $48.

Cam,

Bring it to the first Vintage Race at River Valley and I will take it. If nothing else I can throw it on the 87 CR 250 as well.
captmoto
1/22/2015 3:22pm
When you put it that way it makes me really want to do it. I bet relocating the handlebars like that makes a huge difference. I...
When you put it that way it makes me really want to do it. I bet relocating the handlebars like that makes a huge difference. I found some on ebay. Would these work? It looks like they're off a 81 Yz 465. Also could I use the same wheel that I already have? That would almost be a deal breaker if I couldn't with the nice rims, and powder coated hubs. Haha! 81 Yz 465 triple clamps
You can use the same wheel. You can swap a DLS brake panel in there as it sits. That 81 triple clamp has the same bar offset as the 80. An 84 or later triples will move the bar forward a couple inches. You will have to slide your fork tube down. I don't know what that will do to your handling. My bike is set up by RaceTech so it is all balanced very well. I'll try to get a pic of my set-up for you.
CamP
1/22/2015 4:33pm
mb60 wrote:
Cam, Bring it to the first Vintage Race at River Valley and I will take it. If nothing else I can throw it on the 87...
Cam,

Bring it to the first Vintage Race at River Valley and I will take it. If nothing else I can throw it on the 87 CR 250 as well.
I can do that, or you are welcome to swing by and pick it up anytime. If you decide that it will work, you can pay me later.
1/22/2015 7:50pm
When you put it that way it makes me really want to do it. I bet relocating the handlebars like that makes a huge difference. I...
captmoto wrote:
You can use the same wheel. You can swap a DLS brake panel in there as it sits. That 81 triple clamp has the same bar...
You can use the same wheel. You can swap a DLS brake panel in there as it sits. That 81 triple clamp has the same bar offset as the 80. An 84 or later triples will move the bar forward a couple inches. You will have to slide your fork tube down. I don't know what that will do to your handling. My bike is set up by RaceTech so it is all balanced very well. I'll try to get a pic of my set-up for you.
Thanks for the info! I found some forks with triple clamps off an 83 490 that looked like they would be a good deal. I guess it would just be a matter of putting an 84 triple clamp on them. But we will see. I will buy them if they stay cheap but if the price gets too high I probably won't for now.

I am going to be upgrading the brakes too. I don't remember what he said we would do but my dad had something in mind already. I'm curious to see those pics.
captmoto
1/23/2015 11:33pm Edited Date/Time 1/23/2015 11:39pm
Thanks for the info! I found some forks with triple clamps off an 83 490 that looked like they would be a good deal. I guess...
Thanks for the info! I found some forks with triple clamps off an 83 490 that looked like they would be a good deal. I guess it would just be a matter of putting an 84 triple clamp on them. But we will see. I will buy them if they stay cheap but if the price gets too high I probably won't for now.

I am going to be upgrading the brakes too. I don't remember what he said we would do but my dad had something in mind already. I'm curious to see those pics.
If you get those forks you need a backing plate from that year. It will drop right into your stock wheel. Same brake cable too.
From this diagram it looks like that's what you want to move the bars forward.
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1983/YZ490+-+YZ…
I'll get a pic up tomorrow.
2/1/2015 10:49pm Edited Date/Time 2/1/2015 10:51pm
Thanks for all the info captmoto. We bought a wheel off what I believe was an 81 to steal the brake panel that we need to put upgraded forks on it and now we're just waiting for the right set of forks to show up on ebay to buy. We're going to send the shock to a buddy of ours to get it rebuilt. We're also working on getting some fatter foot pegs on there. I can't wait to ride it. Which graphics kit did the yz 250 come with in 80? I thought it was the one in the top pic but my dad saw a manual from 1980 and swore it was the set in the second pic.

captmoto
2/1/2015 11:21pm
Top pic is 1980, bottom is 81.
4/28/2015 10:05am
We finally got it race ready. We put some forks off an 82 yz 490 on it. We also raised the fork tubes in the triple clamps a little because with the original forks it felt like I was riding a chopper. We had to play with the jetting some too and we will probably put some 110 octane in it just to be safe.

It wants to wheelie so easy with the shorter wheel base compared to my dad's 83. It should be a lot of fun. I'll race it in a vintage race this weekend. We also replaced the clutch plates. It looks so much more like a race bike now with the fork boots. I think I'm going to add some numbers on the number plate because that 4 looks lonely.

5/4/2015 10:11am
Spent another day testing at a outdoor supercross track yesterday,
Race tech, eibach .47 springs 15 w forks work great!
Engine runs great, .026 btdc timing, great power from from bottom to top
no flat spots! Corners great, whatever line you want

5/4/2015 12:23pm
Spent another day testing at a outdoor supercross track yesterday, Race tech, eibach .47 springs 15 w forks work great! Engine runs great, .026 btdc timing...
Spent another day testing at a outdoor supercross track yesterday,
Race tech, eibach .47 springs 15 w forks work great!
Engine runs great, .026 btdc timing, great power from from bottom to top
no flat spots! Corners great, whatever line you want

That looks really good! It might have been the placebo effect but the 82 forks felt amazing on my bike compared to stock. It felt great in the corners and I loved the feeling of riding it. Before the forks it didn't feel very stable. Where did you get the lightning bolt stickers? I have looked all around for them.

I was having a blast on it in practice and felt good but I ended up locking it up! I went to accelerate and the thing just skidded to a stop. I knew it was bad. I didn't notice if it was revving higher while I road but when I came to a stop it was idling really high. We took the top end off last night and the piston has a nice scratch down the side of it and so does the cylinder. We are going to try to hone the cylinder and get a new piston. I can't wait to get back on it. It was a blast!
450exc115
5/4/2015 1:03pm
Rob, what do you weigh? I've been looking to up my spring rate for my 79 yz400 and don't feel like going trial and error. Looks like you also added some padding to the stock seat too. I have a Honda early 80s aluminum rear brake arm that looks like it will be a direct swap for the aluminum one. Nice bikes guys.
5/5/2015 6:10am Edited Date/Time 5/5/2015 6:11am
The forks on my bike are 43mm tubes, with machined lowers.
I weigh 190, and I also use the race tech 2 short compression springs
from their triple rate kit, with 2 inch preload spacers.
And half a dozen .5 to 1.75 spacers to swap at the track.

The bolt stickers were purchased years ago, ebay
The seat is stock
barkhard696
5/5/2015 6:25am
Rob, I'm friends with the fellow who purchased your '81 RM250. He says it runs and handles like a dream, if the YZ is even better then it must be one sweet machine. Both the bikes featured here are super sano!
5/5/2015 7:50am
Yes, almost the same fork set up.
I spent a few years dialing in my RM465, and that us what i use as a start.
Both bikes, had a 10 lb or so weight reduction.

450exc115
5/5/2015 9:02am
Rob thanks for the information. I was actually thinking of cutting back my springs to up the rate and use spacers to fill the gap as a first pass on determining a rate. I just need to make sure the modification doesn't result in coil bind. Your ccraftsmanship has inspired me to take a second look at how to shave some weight of the bike. Are you making aluminum replacement wheel spacers along with the other parts you sell?
5/5/2015 9:29am
yes, all the wheel spacers, chain adjuster inserts(axle sleeves)floating brake bushing cover are all aluminum.
I take the summer off, so next fall maybe i will fab up a few sets
barkhard696
5/5/2015 1:12pm
Rob, what stuff can you do for an '82 RM250, and what time frame do you do your runs? I'd be interested in everything you can do (my '82 is kind of a holy grail bike from my youth), but the caveat is, I have commitments to buy a couple of bikes from friends during the time you mentioned. Would you be accumulating and doing batches, or onsies and twosies?
450exc115
5/7/2015 7:49am
Rob you should make an aluminum replacement damper rod for the forks. The one I just drilled out in my 38mm forks must have weighed 2+ lbs each.

Good stuff!
5/8/2015 9:37am Edited Date/Time 5/8/2015 9:38am
Carb parts wharehouse in Ohio, the best place to buy your vintage mikuni bolt on ready
carbs
Just email specs, size carb jetting, needle etc, and you will have
a carb in a week or so ready to install
Great service!
sandman768
5/10/2015 5:24am
450exc115 wrote:
Rob, what do you weigh? I've been looking to up my spring rate for my 79 yz400 and don't feel like going trial and error. Looks...
Rob, what do you weigh? I've been looking to up my spring rate for my 79 yz400 and don't feel like going trial and error. Looks like you also added some padding to the stock seat too. I have a Honda early 80s aluminum rear brake arm that looks like it will be a direct swap for the aluminum one. Nice bikes guys.
I have a 79 400 also, all rebuilt, plan on racing at Unadilla rewind this june, Carb was replaced with a brand new one, what do you run for jetting? my bike starts & runs fine for about 2-3 laps then the idle seems to increase slightly, replaced every seal, intake boot, ect, donot think its an air leak, maybe lean pilot?

Post a reply to: Bought a nice 1980 Yz 250 yesterday

The Latest