YZ125 97 Bob Moore project

Banana_oil
Edited Date/Time 7/17/2021 11:04am
I'm about to build a Bob Moore/Eric Camerlengo 97 YZ125 team Magic bike. I have only found one pic and I need more. Can anyone help me?

|
Banana_oil
3/25/2015 2:38pm Edited Date/Time 6/11/2016 2:14pm
I'm very keen on finding more info on the Team Magic bikes of 97 because it seems like I have found one of them and want to restore it to its former glory. I have been told that two team bikes were sold to Sweden after the 97 season.

Last weekend I picked up this bike

It has alu tank, Rinaldi engine (grey anodized cases and covers), grey anodized stock hubs with excel rims. Rinaldi CDI, head, kevlar silencer and a Messico pipe.

The cases are stamped "EC 2", rear hub "BM" and front hub "EC 1". The riders of the team in 97 were Bob Moore and Eric Camerlengo so the initials make sense.

Further the swing arm and linkage are grinded down for weight saving, the brackets for the rear caliper guard are cut off.

Suspension seem all stock unfortunately and the subframe that looks a bit like titanium is a chromed stock one but I'm still very excited to have found this bike.

3/25/2015 3:44pm
Sounds like an interesting bike to start with if it does have true provenance.

Will keep an eye on this one.
MaxPower
3/25/2015 4:38pm Edited Date/Time 1/14/2017 8:37am
Bob was on Pulp not too long ago. He is doing something with managing a team.
http://www.pulpmx.com/stories/twenty-five-minutes-twelve-seconds-bobby-…
Maybe try to hunt him down and ask him. It's worth a try. Going from a world champ to someone most would hardly recognize I would think hed be flattered to help you bring his bike back
41NDT
3/25/2015 5:23pm
if your on twitter hit up this guy @Pat459STRANA he may help.

The Shop

Banana_oil
3/27/2015 1:39pm
Thank you all! I got these photos from Pat which actually is from the 96 season but they share many parts and graphics with the 97 so good to have.

I also got this photo from a guy who actually owns the other of the two Magic bikes that were imported to Sweden. The pic is of one of the two bikes when they just had arrived in Sweden.

Banana_oil
6/11/2016 12:42pm Edited Date/Time 6/11/2016 12:43pm
Now it is time for an update:

I managed to find a complete set of 97 italian mx mags were i found enough pics to identify all graphic logos. I have also got scans of the original tecnosel shroud graphics so now waiting for EVO-mx to make them. A seat cover repro seems possible to source aswell.

I have got in contact with one of the mechanics of this bike when it was ridden i Sweden and i got to buy the original Bob Moore Öhlins fork and #10 number plates from him truly amazing! Smile He also provided a lot of info on what parts were used and the story on how the bike came to Sweden.

I have also sourced a correct Rinaldi team cylinder and Hinson clutch. Most plastics and chassis parts are sourced, but titanium subframe still missing, any help highly appreciated!

Fork and number plates:

Engine assembled. The team cylinders had a brass ring mounted at topland to be able to run as lean mixture as possible - the ring could be replaced when damaged by detonations.

Markopolo400
6/11/2016 1:46pm Edited Date/Time 6/11/2016 1:48pm
Awesome project, I've never seen that replaceable brass ring before. I'm surprised that they were running conventional forks as well.

Oh and whats that spigot for on the ignition side of the engine next to the cylinder?
Banana_oil
6/11/2016 1:55pm Edited Date/Time 6/11/2016 2:00pm
Awesome project, I've never seen that replaceable brass ring before. I'm surprised that they were running conventional forks as well. Oh and whats that spigot for...
Awesome project, I've never seen that replaceable brass ring before. I'm surprised that they were running conventional forks as well.

Oh and whats that spigot for on the ignition side of the engine next to the cylinder?
Thanks! Unfortunately a previous owner added spigots at ignition and in the air boot and a hose between to ventilate the ignition.

Conventional forks were used extensively in the GPs in late 90's. Marzocchi, Sölva, Öhlins & WP all had them in those years.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
6/11/2016 5:29pm Edited Date/Time 6/11/2016 5:37pm
Banana oil-

I just PMed you Bobby's email address. Let him know Shaun Langham gave it to you.

Good luck with the build, should be cool when you're done with it.
11/8/2016 4:29pm
Awesome project, I've never seen that replaceable brass ring before. I'm surprised that they were running conventional forks as well. Oh and whats that spigot for...

Banana_oil wrote:
Thanks! Unfortunately a previous owner added spigots at ignition and in the air boot and a hose between to ventilate the ignition. Conventional forks were used...
Thanks! Unfortunately a previous owner added spigots at ignition and in the air boot and a hose between to ventilate the ignition.

Conventional forks were used extensively in the GPs in late 90's. Marzocchi, Sölva, Öhlins & WP all had them in those years.
I just reading about your super cool project.
I'm Italian, and I worked in magic bike team in 2009 in supermoto world championchips (last year of the team!)
I have contact with ex team maneger and some mechanics.

About the problem of the spigot you can remove it and weld the hole. After that You can remove the exceded welded alu and sand blast it.
If You need replace the carter anodization, let me know. I've the contact to replace the original Rinaldi carter anodization.
I just did it on my Carter!!!

langhammx
Fantasy
455th
11/8/2016 5:32pm
Banana Oil-

How's the project coming along ?
Banana_oil
11/9/2016 12:31pm
Thanks for shown interest and for you offer to help with anodizing McRoss!

Regarding the spigeot I want to avoid the hassle of welding, my plan is to just plug it. Since it will require just too much money to bring it back to showroom condition my philosophy with this build is to make it as correct as possible but to keep the wear of the anodizing etc, to show it has a history. The bike is still in good mechanichal condition considering it's age.

Very interesting to hear that you that you have worked in the team, any inside info on those bikes? If you know of any source for a 96-97 team seat cover?

Since last time, some things have happened although the tempo is very low. First, I got in contact with Bob Moore himself thanks to langhammx - thanks a lot again! Bob recognize the bike and confirms that it is one of the team bikes Smile . He also gave me some info on choice of suspension during the season and offered to answer questions along the way. I must say he is a very nice guy.

I have also got graphics printed, see pics. Next thing coming is welding skid plate & water pump cover mounts to the frame.

Steph500
11/9/2016 1:16pm Edited Date/Time 11/9/2016 1:16pm
Banana_oil wrote:
Thanks for shown interest and for you offer to help with anodizing McRoss! Regarding the spigeot I want to avoid the hassle of welding, my plan...

Regarding the spigeot I want to avoid the hassle of welding, my plan is to just plug it. Since it will require just too much money to bring it back to showroom condition my philosophy with this build is to make it as correct as possible but to keep the wear of the anodizing etc, to show it has a history. The bike is still in good mechanichal condition considering it's age.

Very interesting to hear that you that you have worked in the team, any inside info on those bikes? If you know of any source for a 96-97 team seat cover?

Since last time, some things have happened although the tempo is very low. First, I got in contact with Bob Moore himself thanks to langhammx - thanks a lot again! Bob recognize the bike and confirms that it is one of the team bikes Smile . He also gave me some info on choice of suspension during the season and offered to answer questions along the way. I must say he is a very nice guy.

I have also got graphics printed, see pics. Next thing coming is welding skid plate & water pump cover mounts to the frame.

Hello BananaOil, I just discovered your post. Very interesting to read it, nice story!!
11/9/2016 1:45pm Edited Date/Time 11/9/2016 4:10pm
Well.. I think is a nice idea, show the years of the bike! But before I thought you want replace like new! Anyway... what information you need?

And if You replace all bearings inside of the engine..i really like See the work of the team on gearbox! There are some legend about it!
11/9/2016 1:47pm
Banana_oil wrote:
Thanks for shown interest and for you offer to help with anodizing McRoss! Regarding the spigeot I want to avoid the hassle of welding, my plan...

Just a little errore you made.. The rear fender have a different blu! Probably you buy a plastic from 98 - 2001 But 96/97 the blue is more dark!
11/9/2016 4:25pm
Info about the bike??? Actually Not too much..But I try to find somewhere some info!!
I just know that the team worked a lot on this bike..and the Bob Moore bike probably it was one on the fastest bike of the team ever! Bob Moore they told me that he was a awsome tester.. so his bike was so fast!
Before I suggest about the "legend" of gearbox. I'm not sure if that bike was the "race" or training bike.. But on the race bike some mechanics talked me about a gearbox with any gear worked by cnc to reduce the weight ..and superfinishing work. Just for that I asked you if is possible See the gearbox!
I'm Very curios about it!
Banana_oil
11/9/2016 9:32pm Edited Date/Time 11/9/2016 9:37pm
Just a little errore you made.. The rear fender have a different blu! Probably you buy a plastic from 98 - 2001 But 96/97 the blue...
Just a little errore you made.. The rear fender have a different blu! Probably you buy a plastic from 98 - 2001 But 96/97 the blue is more dark!
Thanks for the remark but it actually is navy blue but I guess the sunlight together with my crappy phone camera makes it look too bright Smile

Regarding the gearbox it looked stock to me so I guess it can have been changed over the years in Sweden. From what I have heard all the team bikes that were sold were different in terms of parts and modifications. Some had five gears for example Smile

The only difference to a stock engine I saw inside was a modification to the intake channel.
11/26/2016 5:06pm
Just a little errore you made.. The rear fender have a different blu! Probably you buy a plastic from 98 - 2001 But 96/97 the blue...
Banana_oil wrote:
Thanks for the remark but it actually is navy blue but I guess the sunlight together with my crappy phone camera makes it look too bright...
Thanks for the remark but it actually is navy blue but I guess the sunlight together with my crappy phone camera makes it look too bright Smile

Regarding the gearbox it looked stock to me so I guess it can have been changed over the years in Sweden. From what I have heard all the team bikes that were sold were different in terms of parts and modifications. Some had five gears for example Smile

The only difference to a stock engine I saw inside was a modification to the intake channel.
Oh...very good! From the pics look like electric blue! I'm happy that it is a navy blue!!!
Anyway, about gear box 5 gear it was not so stranger here in italy... it's easy to remove the 6th gear! And when you use it on the track? A lot of people removed that to racing.
The interesting work have to be on some gear... machined by "cnc" to reduce the weight.
Probably you have to watch around the cylinder and crankcase connection.. somewhere there you have to have some different from stock too.

My engine? Well I just restoring my bike (yz 125 2003) with some "attention" on the engine performance.
Is not a replica bike ... (well I'll use JGR graphics ..but I just choose all i like on the racing bike...and we will see what will be the result) but i tuned my engine little bit!
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3711th
1/14/2017 1:54am
How is the project comming along?
Banana_oil
1/16/2017 12:04pm
CrGuy2T wrote:
How is the project comming along?
Thanks for asking! Not much, but at the moment I'm working on a skid plate and prepare the frame for welding mounts for the plate and water pump guard. Unfortunately I have no pics of the progress but I attach a bunch of race pics of the bikes from 97.

To be updated!

11/4/2017 9:36am
So...some news about the protection?

About the link... no Way no possibility to find it right Now!
Banana_oil
11/6/2017 12:50pm
Thanks for asking! Actually some things have happened. I have managed to find the correct brake pedal and a titanium subframe. I have also got the mounts for the skid plate and water pump guard welded so the frame is close to be painted.

I have mounted all the plastics except the number plates and the brake pedal on my other 97 bike. Still waiting for the graphics to be adjusted somewhat. Also been working on the fork legs, waiting for some small öhlins spares to arrive.

11/6/2017 1:11pm
Oh..cool!!! Good Job!

I've a question (because I want try to build me one)

What are the diameter internal and esternal of the Ti subframe tubes? Thanks to help me!?
nine1seven
11/7/2017 5:05pm
I have a GYTR Ti Subframe for that bike I think. I bought it for a 99 YZ125 project. It mounted up to the mainframe perfect but the silencer mounts weren't right so I didn't use it. I came to the conclusion it was for an earlier year model as Yamaha changed that from year to year. It came from Yamaha of Troy. Let me know if your interested and I'll snap a pic. flesche917@gmail.com.

Cool Project BTW!

DJ
Banana_oil
11/7/2017 9:51pm
Oh..cool!!! Good Job! I've a question (because I want try to build me one) What are the diameter internal and esternal of the Ti subframe tubes...
Oh..cool!!! Good Job!

I've a question (because I want try to build me one)

What are the diameter internal and esternal of the Ti subframe tubes? Thanks to help me!?
Outer diameter 19mm but not possible to measure thickness unfortunately.
Banana_oil
5/14/2018 12:38pm Edited Date/Time 5/14/2018 12:40pm
Slowly it is moving forward. Frame painted, fork, swing arm, linkage, engine and rads mounted.

Post a reply to: YZ125 97 Bob Moore project

The Latest