picture malfunction
|
2/20/2013 6:25pm
I hand fabbed up a works style resevoir with a large I.D hose
to keep my modded shock cool
picture malfunction
Post some pics....
2/21/2013 7:14pm Edited Date/Time 2/21/2013 7:17pm
I hand fabbed a few of these finned resevoir's for 80-81 YZ Yamaha's.
For the WORKS look!, but also function, the 30 year old hose seemd fine, but why chance it.
Billet aluminum with the stock floating piston, schrader valve end, billet top cap
with a 8mm id for great flow, with a matching ss braided line.
I hand fabbed the shock fitting- I could not find a metric hose fitting with the proper
I.D. for the oil to pass thru, I looked thru many catalogs, called custom hose shops
nothing was available.
The shock has a gold valve mod, and I also replaced the 1/8 aluminum compression
rod with a stainless one.
The oil should not break-down as fast now
SouthwestMfg
2/24/2013 4:41pm
A better trick is to use two lines. Put two inlets in the resevoir cap, obviously you can fab a cap for the resevoir. Make a y-shaped piece for the shock end, put a banjo bolt through it, the other two legs of the y can have FPT threads. Get a couple of in-line check valves to make the flow one way for each line. This circulates the oil instead off cycling it back and forth in the longer hoses. Got this from Gill at Works Performance, he made some back in 82 for our Yamaha's (McKenna) and Euro-Cycles Maicos (Hieberger). They worked great as both these bikes had rather long resevior runs.

The Shop

2/25/2013 7:10am
Great idea, but it would not work on the 80-81
yz shock's. The upper mount boss width could not
support another 12mm hole for a second line, and still take
the stress.
The 82 shock has 2 holes in the same area, the upper mount
on the 82 is almost twice as wide as the 80-81, and the 82 shocks are
probably another 5-8lbs heavier.
I have one here to compare it too
The 82 ahock will not work on a 81 without alot
of work.
As Bob Hannah stated in his interview the
bikes(81 works models) were 30lbs heavier
tubs of shit, 82 models
I have owned both the 82 490,125, no good.
RiV
2/26/2013 5:36pm
A better trick is to use two lines. Put two inlets in the resevoir cap, obviously you can fab a cap for the resevoir. Make a...
A better trick is to use two lines. Put two inlets in the resevoir cap, obviously you can fab a cap for the resevoir. Make a y-shaped piece for the shock end, put a banjo bolt through it, the other two legs of the y can have FPT threads. Get a couple of in-line check valves to make the flow one way for each line. This circulates the oil instead off cycling it back and forth in the longer hoses. Got this from Gill at Works Performance, he made some back in 82 for our Yamaha's (McKenna) and Euro-Cycles Maicos (Hieberger). They worked great as both these bikes had rather long resevior runs.
Yes, proof that the single line is not the greatest is when you service the shock and the fluid in
the res. looks like new & the shocks is toast. They mainly just displace fluid back and forth in
the hoses volume-like stated above. You are certainly not doing a bad thing though, it looks
trick and and I would give it a 10 on the "shock & awe" factor! :-)

Post a reply to: Billet YZ resevoir's

The Latest