BiMotoFaB builds thread, updated almost everyday, maybe and lots of pics

Bimotofab
1/9/2017 10:27pm Edited Date/Time 1/9/2017 10:53pm
So I figured I would just have one thread and post all the stuff I am doing in one place so I don't have to keep track of multiple threads etc etc...
|
Bimotofab
1/9/2017 10:53pm
So my riding buddy wants to ride an endurocross event next year so we thought that would be a good excuse to get cheap two strokes, so I found him a 98 yz250 for 300 bucks on Craigslist.

It was complete minus the pipe so I snagged a cheapo pro circuit off of eBay since a new set up would be almost as much as the bike.

The Po also said the forks were bent from a crash. The forks were fine and even have Enzo racing subtanks. The triple clamps were bent so I swapped them with 01 yz250f forks and triples since I will rebuild and use the Enzo forks on another project.

It has a Clarke oversize tank that the petcock leaked all the time so I bought a new oem yamaha petcock, I checked the clutch and changed the oil, I also drained the coolant and switched to Evans waterless. I happened to have a seat that fit, not sure from where and an old gripper seat cover for my Xr400 that I never used, I put on new grips, rebuilt the carb and rejetted to the new to me pro circuit pipe and waited for the pipe to show up.

It fired up third kick with some choke and even though it was pretty snowy I had to blast it, runs good, the pipe hits up top which I knew the pro circuit would tend to do, it also leave a lot under the hit to lug it around, I regeared it and it's perfect, likes to be short shifted.

Took it to the desert and got 2 really good rides in on it, it needs a set of handguards, a trials rear tire and a flywheel weight and it will be ready to rumble. It's ugly but runs good and I have about 400 bucks into it total, my buddy is going to slowly pay for upgrades as winter goes on so I should have periodic updates on this bike. I named it the ugly duckling since it will eventually become a Swan and hopefully less ugly.

Got to try my new Jt racing retro gear I got for Christmas.

Bimotofab
1/9/2017 11:19pm
So I picked up this gem for less than half of what the Craigslist ads is. It even had a new carbonator!

It was in my way home from selling a 97 rm 250 so I had to stop and take a look.

I didn't haggle too much I just said I'll give you 300 bucks for it and he said yes so I payed him and loaded it and didn't really get a chance to look it over all wanted was the carbonator and front fork setup

So upon getting home after 18 hours of driving I went to bed and decided to dig into it tomorrow

Not sure about these airbox decals but they look custom.

Just little half assed things made me think if I was going to do anything other than steal the forks and carb I should give it a total go through.

Rear fender was destroyed from trying to remove graphics residue with some power tools and an epileptic? It was horrible.

I decided to dig in and see what was up since bad weather had postponed my painting work on a street bike. I found the left swing arm bearing was completely gone, drain plug was jb welded and had a sae bolt that leaked. 2 clutch plates are the wrong size and we're doing damage to the hub. Water pump seal was in backwards, powervalve spring was tensioned to keep them closed at all times. Clutch cable was shot, throttle cable was frayed and sticking open due to damage inside the twist throttle assembly, and some more stuff so I decided to do a complete tear down and refurbish for as cheap as possible since this was supposed to be a donor bike. The frame was blasted and under black spray paint was Flo yellow powder coat. This pic is after the blast and clean I decided to try bed liner on the frame where the boots rub, it seems more durable than grip tape and I would assume it doesn't grind down boots as fast either, regardless I had been wanting to try this for a while and never had a good donor bike to do it where I would be able to test it. It's brushed on in two thick coats.

Black paint over the bedliner and cleaned up frame and it looked decent, I was out of suzuki paint so I just sprayed it black since this will be ridden and not a resto even though I will end up getting carried away. But I promised myself on this one it's a non existent budget and will be ridden mercilessly at the beginner track and where ever else it gets taken.

This was a few days later, I got carried away...

Finished cleaning and inspecting the internals and the rod had about an 1/8th inch of vertical play and had been slapping the head to the point of damage and maybe even a head gasket failure. I found a used crank cheap on eBay that was out of a so called running bike, it's pretty tight so it hasn't been abused as much as mine had. I also scored a cheap head in better condition than mine and I got a top end kit and a fill gasket and seal set since u would have to split the cases to replace the crank. Today I finished cleaning internals and reassembled the entire engine.

Here is the finished engine after paint. Still letting the blue head grow on me I don't think I like it. It looks great it's a anodized blue paint that makes aluminum look good but i think it's too much, I like less is more but I do that every time.

The bronze side cases look so good I don't know if the head would look better bronze oh well the engine is ready to rock so when all the paint has cured I will reassemble the bike and see if it runs

In the mean time I need more of this.

kott0n
Fantasy
3717th
1/10/2017 1:09pm
These both look like a lot of fun.

What do you have in the CR250/500 parts box?
Bimotofab
1/10/2017 1:14pm
kott0n wrote:
These both look like a lot of fun.

What do you have in the CR250/500 parts box?
A bunch of parts from 3 86 cr250 an 86 Cr500 what are you looking for?

The Shop

Bimotofab
1/12/2017 9:34pm Edited Date/Time 1/12/2017 9:35pm
Waiting on top clamp then just wrap up some minor details, too bad it snowed a foot

Bimotofab
1/12/2017 9:36pm
Bimotofab wrote:
Waiting on top clamp then just wrap up some minor details, too bad it snowed a foot [URL=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/bimotofab/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20170112_153634_zps527y12p4.jpg.html][IMG]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn20/bimotofab/Mobile%20Uploads/20170112_153634_zps527y12p4.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Waiting on top clamp then just wrap up some minor details, too bad it snowed a foot

Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1084th
1/13/2017 8:41am
Bimotofab wrote:
[URL=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/bimotofab/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170110_144016_zpsjm5qwyac.jpg.html][IMG]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn20/bimotofab/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170110_144016_zpsjm5qwyac.jpg[/IMG][/URL] [URL=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/bimotofab/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20170110_175140_zpsvgtarxse.jpg.html][IMG]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn20/bimotofab/Mobile%20Uploads/20170110_175140_zpsvgtarxse.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Hopefully you're one of the guys that have decent luck with the Namura piston. After my experience, I would rather use them for target practice than put them in an engine and I know I'm not alone on that opinion...

Cool "restore to usefulness" thread.
Kidkawie
1/13/2017 9:04am
Nice job on the RM! They look pretty good with black rims.
Bimotofab
1/13/2017 2:47pm
Bimotofab wrote:
[URL=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/bimotofab/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170110_144016_zpsjm5qwyac.jpg.html][IMG]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn20/bimotofab/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170110_144016_zpsjm5qwyac.jpg[/IMG][/URL] [URL=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/bimotofab/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20170110_175140_zpsvgtarxse.jpg.html][IMG]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn20/bimotofab/Mobile%20Uploads/20170110_175140_zpsvgtarxse.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Hopefully you're one of the guys that have decent luck with the Namura piston. After my experience, I would rather use them for target practice than...
Hopefully you're one of the guys that have decent luck with the Namura piston. After my experience, I would rather use them for target practice than put them in an engine and I know I'm not alone on that opinion...

Cool "restore to usefulness" thread.
Ya we will see how it goes, I got this one at a large discount so I'll keep an eye on it, what issues have other other people had with these?
Bimotofab
1/20/2017 8:19am
Finally finished the throttle and clutch in the 125 and got a chain, it fired right up and runs good, a little rich at my altitude but it's jetted for the track, I rode it around and it's pretty gutless, this is the first 125 I have had and I am not a small guy so probably a track day and sell it for a big bike
Bimotofab
1/22/2017 2:04am
Looks better dirty, runs better with some heat cycles and tweaking. Fun romp in the snow before visibility went to zero... If it ever stops raining in Socal I'll take it for a track day.

Bimotofab
1/23/2017 9:32am
Cool thread, I dig it! Keep the project progress pics coming
Thanks if it ever stops snowing I can get back on some project work... Up to 4 feet in the last 4 days
Bimotofab
1/24/2017 9:39pm
So first day of sun in a week and we got several feet of snow but the roads were sort of plowed so I fired up the 125 and blasted around, I can't wait to try this at sea level and at the track.

Bimotofab
1/30/2017 10:13pm
Polished this turd today, I'm starting to fall in love with this bike.

Post a reply to: BiMotoFaB builds thread, updated almost everyday, maybe and lots of pics

The Latest