Any 2000 kx250 owners that can answer a question?

6/15/2015 12:23am Edited Date/Time 7/1/2015 8:37am
Is anyone familiar with how a stock 2000 kx250 ran, and how a pro circuit pipe made it run? My recently rebuilt "basket case" 2000 kx250 has a pro circuit pipe, 304 shorty silencer, two teeth extra on the rear sprocket,and what looks to be carbon fiber reeds. Its a sleeved, unported cylinder also.
Anyway, right on the very bottom end its soft (as in i have to slip the clutch when pulling out in 1st gear); the midrange pulls hard, and the top end just keeps pulling. I literally run out of road and the bike is STILL pulling hard on the top end. Every dyno chart ive seen and test ive read says the bike doesnt rev far.
Does a pro circuit pipe add this much top end? My bike's powerband seems to be the opposite of how it was described in tests. Anybody have experience with this model kx that i can compare notes with?(kips valve is fine by the way!)
|
6/15/2015 12:35am
Before and after shots of my bike. Im kind of proud of it since it was such a hunk of shit when i got it. Smile

Kidkawie
6/15/2015 7:36am Edited Date/Time 6/15/2015 7:37am
Once you change the pipe you can forget about magazine tests. Those bikes are 100% stock. You need a stock pipe, anything from 97-02 would work good. But that "chug chug chug" from 1st gear wont change until you swap transmissions. I used 12/49 when I had it setup for woods riding.

Here's one of the 2000's I had

With PC pipe

Swapped out the cyl, ignition and pipe for 98 stuff, the bike is more ridable (for me) low-mid power.

My other 2000 I bought blown

Complete engine rebuild, stock except V-Force reeds and PC pipe
6/15/2015 1:02pm
I guess i just cant believe a pipe can add as much overrev as it seems to have added to my bike. Im going to get a stock pipe if i can ever find one so i can have a baseline. If anyone has a stock silencer id gladly trade my r304 to a stocker. Id like a little quieter bike than a shorty silencer allows.
scooter5002
6/15/2015 2:27pm
I had a stock 2000, and that thing had monster bottom end. Signed off early, but that low end more than made up for it. Loved that motor, and I had a 500 as well.

The Shop

6/15/2015 5:45pm
I had a stock 2000, and that thing had monster bottom end. Signed off early, but that low end more than made up for it. Loved...
I had a stock 2000, and that thing had monster bottom end. Signed off early, but that low end more than made up for it. Loved that motor, and I had a 500 as well.
Thats what im wondering; a pro circuit pipe kills the bottom end that much? I was curious if anyone with a stock motor/pro circuit pipe also saw the lack of bottom end im experiencing. Im going to buy various power valve governor springs/use spacers to see if delaying the kips opening will help the bottom as well. Im asking all these questions so that i can get a handle on whether my bike is running "correctly" since I bought it blown up and have no baseline.
mxracer666
6/15/2015 7:11pm
When you say "sleeved, unported" cylinder, what do you mean? Does the cylinder have an aftermarket iron sleeve installed? You know the stock setup is a plated cylinder right? If you have a sleeved cylinder, I'd say your issues are right there...
Kidkawie
6/16/2015 6:01am
Thats what im wondering; a pro circuit pipe kills the bottom end that much? I was curious if anyone with a stock motor/pro circuit pipe also...
Thats what im wondering; a pro circuit pipe kills the bottom end that much? I was curious if anyone with a stock motor/pro circuit pipe also saw the lack of bottom end im experiencing. Im going to buy various power valve governor springs/use spacers to see if delaying the kips opening will help the bottom as well. Im asking all these questions so that i can get a handle on whether my bike is running "correctly" since I bought it blown up and have no baseline.
You're wasting your time with pv springs. Get the stock pipe and go from there. Trying to tune a top end pipe to work on the bottom is insane.
6/16/2015 8:15am Edited Date/Time 6/16/2015 8:15am
Definitely get a stock pipe and longer silencer to start with, then a good way to experiment is to get a spare head cut with a wider squish band and higher compression ratio to help move the power South. If you're not keen on the extra punch it'll give, you can swap back easily.
6/16/2015 8:25am
Although it seems Eric Gorr's info would suggest a stock bike would be pretty punchy low down anyway.....

6/16/2015 10:27am
mxracer666 wrote:
When you say "sleeved, unported" cylinder, what do you mean? Does the cylinder have an aftermarket iron sleeve installed? You know the stock setup is a...
When you say "sleeved, unported" cylinder, what do you mean? Does the cylinder have an aftermarket iron sleeve installed? You know the stock setup is a plated cylinder right? If you have a sleeved cylinder, I'd say your issues are right there...
Yes, i know they dont come sleeved, stock. Im also pretty sure a sleeve doesnt kill the bottom end power. Its not ideal, but it was in spec. And nearly new.
6/16/2015 11:10am
Think mxracer's referring to the fact that design or installation of the sleeve may have affected the port timing.
6/16/2015 1:23pm Edited Date/Time 6/16/2015 1:24pm
Think mxracer's referring to the fact that design or installation of the sleeve may have affected the port timing.
Oh lol. Anyway, the sleeve was apparently installed by a non-"hillbilly mechanic" professional, because the ports were matched to the sleeve. In reality the bike runs pretty well, but i just need a little more low end. Im jobless right now, so theres a reason I cant just slap a stock pipe on it-what it came with is what i have to use, for the time being. Im trying to find low end on the cheap, and its probably pointless.
yzweldon
6/16/2015 5:48pm
Are you sure the powervalves are timed right and closing at low rev's? These KX's have the most complicated powervalve system ever designed, there are seveal dots on the twist valves that line up with marks on the gear rack that drives them while the tongue valve has to all be in the correct position
6/16/2015 8:28pm
yzweldon wrote:
Are you sure the powervalves are timed right and closing at low rev's? These KX's have the most complicated powervalve system ever designed, there are seveal...
Are you sure the powervalves are timed right and closing at low rev's? These KX's have the most complicated powervalve system ever designed, there are seveal dots on the twist valves that line up with marks on the gear rack that drives them while the tongue valve has to all be in the correct position
Yep. My valves are perfect. I was hoping i had mistimed them,but they are perfect. I rode it again after my last post, and it honestly runs pretty great. I just need a tad more low end and i could live with it, pro circuit pipe included. I may drop a countershaft tooth in the meantime-and stay away from super tight trails with short-takeoff climbs.
barkhard696
6/16/2015 9:39pm
Hey Ace! You may be able to swap someone with a '98 pipe for your PC pipe? I don't believe the Works finish are made anymore, so they should be more valuable to someone say, building a replica than a stock pipe? Especially if the different years interchange as Jay has demonstrated on his projects.

A carb spacer is ~$20 and you should be able to score a used OEM silencer (or spark arrestor) for next to nothing.

GREAT job on the build, bro. You and I chatted a while back about your plans, and now it's straight AWESOME to see your bike up and running. Sometimes Vital reminds me of the features in Hot Rod magazine -- yeah, it's super cool to oogle the big bucks builds and replicas, but a completely self-sourced and executed rebuild done well -- like you've done-- is the essence.

Sheesh, anybody with a fat wallet can throw $$ at something, it takes skill and ingenuity to build a bike right on limited resources.

Tip of the hat amigo! Hope some of my suggestions are helpful as you continue your shakedown & set-up.
barkhard696
6/16/2015 9:43pm Edited Date/Time 6/17/2015 6:58am
I know this a 'lil bit of a thred hijack (and late, too), but friend Jay, your projects kick 100% of my oversized Irish backside. I am in love with the Simple Green bike!!

Good stuff sir.
6/17/2015 12:53am Edited Date/Time 6/17/2015 12:55am
Hey Ace! You may be able to swap someone with a '98 pipe for your PC pipe? I don't believe the Works finish are made anymore...
Hey Ace! You may be able to swap someone with a '98 pipe for your PC pipe? I don't believe the Works finish are made anymore, so they should be more valuable to someone say, building a replica than a stock pipe? Especially if the different years interchange as Jay has demonstrated on his projects.

A carb spacer is ~$20 and you should be able to score a used OEM silencer (or spark arrestor) for next to nothing.

GREAT job on the build, bro. You and I chatted a while back about your plans, and now it's straight AWESOME to see your bike up and running. Sometimes Vital reminds me of the features in Hot Rod magazine -- yeah, it's super cool to oogle the big bucks builds and replicas, but a completely self-sourced and executed rebuild done well -- like you've done-- is the essence.

Sheesh, anybody with a fat wallet can throw $$ at something, it takes skill and ingenuity to build a bike right on limited resources.

Tip of the hat amigo! Hope some of my suggestions are helpful as you continue your shakedown & set-up.
Yeah, I was jonesing hard for new engine cases when we spoke lol. I ended up resurfacing the old ones and they turned out fine. My pipe has a few small dings but id love to trade it and the shorty silencer if i could. I cant believe how good my bike turned out! It sucks that it is all upper mid/top end, but its like riding a Saturn 5 rocket-which is fun in its own way. Thanks for the kind words, buddy!
Kidkawie
6/17/2015 6:03am
There's an 01 pipe on Ebay for $15 right now.
6/17/2015 11:05am
Kidkawie wrote:
There's an 01 pipe on Ebay for $15 right now.
Got a bid in! Thanks!
RyanLester761
6/18/2015 10:11am
I'm buying that 01 pipe!

Haha just kidding!

Jay, do you know what year silencers fit the 2000 KX250? I want a PC shorty or possibly stock for mine.

Ace, Let me know if you want to sell the PC silencer you have.

-Ryan
6/18/2015 12:01pm
I'm buying that 01 pipe! Haha just kidding! Jay, do you know what year silencers fit the 2000 KX250? I want a PC shorty or possibly...
I'm buying that 01 pipe!

Haha just kidding!

Jay, do you know what year silencers fit the 2000 KX250? I want a PC shorty or possibly stock for mine.

-Ryan
If u have a spare stocker just trade me.
6/18/2015 12:03pm
Just read your post again. I guess you dont have a stocker either.

6/18/2015 12:08pm
The 2000 is longer than the 01-02 silencer, and also longer than the 99 id assume. Just buy a decent 2000 stocker and we will trade lol.
Kidkawie
6/18/2015 1:50pm
I'm buying that 01 pipe! Haha just kidding! Jay, do you know what year silencers fit the 2000 KX250? I want a PC shorty or possibly...
I'm buying that 01 pipe!

Haha just kidding!

-Ryan
I'm not 100% sure if the K and L models are the same. I'd stick with 99-02 unless part numbers say otherwise. I want to say the front bolt is the same but the rear bolt is different....can't remember.
RyanLester761
6/18/2015 2:22pm
The 2000 is longer than the 01-02 silencer, and also longer than the 99 id assume. Just buy a decent 2000 stocker and we will trade...
The 2000 is longer than the 01-02 silencer, and also longer than the 99 id assume. Just buy a decent 2000 stocker and we will trade lol.
I'm happy to trade for sure! I have a spark arrestor now, which I hate. Let me find a 2000 silencer.

And thanks for the input Jay. I'll stick to 99-02 if I go that way.
6/18/2015 6:32pm Edited Date/Time 6/18/2015 6:36pm
The 2000 is longer than the 01-02 silencer, and also longer than the 99 id assume. Just buy a decent 2000 stocker and we will trade...
I'm happy to trade for sure! I have a spark arrestor now, which I hate. Let me find a 2000 silencer. And thanks for the input...
I'm happy to trade for sure! I have a spark arrestor now, which I hate. Let me find a 2000 silencer.

And thanks for the input Jay. I'll stick to 99-02 if I go that way.
What kind of arrestor you have? I might be interested if its quiet.
RyanLester761
6/18/2015 7:08pm
What kind of arrestor you have? I might be interested if its quiet.
Wasn't expecting that option. I don't like the performance of the spark arrestors but I'd like to keep it in case I need it for the trails. I bought a stock silencer and would like to have it shipped to you in trade for the Pro Circuit silencer... I hope you were serious. Haha.

PM me your address and I'll pay EBay and send it your way.

By the way, my spark arrestor is an FMF turbine core drooler. It needs repacking anyway.
RyanLester761
6/18/2015 7:10pm
By the way... someone scored a sweet carb for 65 bucks!

Post a reply to: Any 2000 kx250 owners that can answer a question?

The Latest