An Apology - And Transitions

barkhard696
Guys this is not a great place to post personal stuff. But I need to get a blanket apology out because for a while now, I've either been a ghost to my buddies here or a FN tool to some of y'all (or both).

On election night, I got a lot of texts/posts from folks. Well that was not a great time for me to be talking to anyone, I had just found out that my father, my last surviving close family member, has Alzheimer's. Since no one else will take responsibility for his long-term care (i.e., can handle death), I will be moving him in with me and making arrangements for his long-term care.

My dad is a hero. He did 35+ missions flying A-4s into Hanoi during Rolling Thunder in 66-67 (was in McCain's squadron), and then actually went back in '72 flying A-7s (doing Iron Hand mainly) during Linebacker II. I was just a toddler but my first memory was him boarding his carrier in '72 and being completely terrified I'd never see him again.

For the last few weeks he's been asking about my mother... Who took her life after my stepfather died in 2005.. He forgets they divorced right after he came back in '73. I'm seeing James Bond die by degrees.

I don't want any sympathy, just to try to make amends to those I may have $hitted on by being a jackass while dealing with this. And why lie: it was probably several of y'all since I had gotten completed hammered that night after talking with his doctors from the VA.

Part of this is I'm going to be moth-balling my bike stuff. Selling off everything I don't absolutely need, yes there could be a lot stuff but that's besides the point. I'm also going to be selling a lot of shit on eBay to both simplify my life and make room for this change.

Beyond the selling I'm not going to be around much. But I want to stay friends with my buddies from here so I encourage anyone who would like to reach out via FB, Email there is james.strawn@sbcglobal.net. Thanks for listening to me bloviate. Best, Chris

PS. Ryan L, thanks again a million for your kind words brother.
|
11/27/2016 1:07pm
Sorry for all that youre going through, Barkhard. Youre one of the guys that make it a pleasure to read the oldschool forums! Good luck, buddy.
tuggy450
11/27/2016 1:49pm
Chris sorry to hear all you are going through, stay strong, prayers
PN27416
11/28/2016 8:55am
Sorry to hear but applaud you for being a hero to your dad who is a hero to all Americans. We all owe him and your family a thanks we can never begin to repay. All the best to you and your dad!
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
11/28/2016 9:17pm
Sorry for all that youre going through, Barkhard. Youre one of the guys that make it a pleasure to read the oldschool forums! Good luck, buddy.
I'd have to agree with this!

The Shop

barkhard696
11/29/2016 2:18am
Thanks for the kind words guys. He'll be moving in with me the 1st of Jan... My step-mom can't handle him effectively. Been clearing out and selling a lot of things to make room (fleabay here I come!!). Bittersweet. He's a lot more open about his time in Vietnam and his early years with my Mom, since he knows he has a looming limit on these memories. But yeah, will it kill him or me first to see him fade out? God it is going to be hard. I really have the greatest guy in the world for a Pops. But I am trying to focus on the gratitude not the pain.
WRH
11/29/2016 7:03pm Edited Date/Time 11/29/2016 7:04pm
Barkhard , you will make it and you will do your best. You can do hard things.. The moto x community will always be here for you.
RyanLester761
11/30/2016 10:04am
Hang in there Chris. We are here for you if you need to reach out.

Post a reply to: An Apology - And Transitions

The Latest