A couple of nice parts!

jtracing6
Edited Date/Time 2/25/2015 2:52pm
Picked up some goodies at the Telford Show this weekend. A NOS Factory kickstart lever for my 1986 CR500 David Bailey MXdN replica. Also a set of Ti axles, swing arm pivot, engine mount, subframe, linkage and shock mounting bolts from Stevie Denton of Phil Denton Engineering. I even got a NOS right side crankcase to go with the NOS crank that I got in the US for my 1986 CR125. Just looking for a NOS right side crankcase.

|
2/23/2015 10:07am Edited Date/Time 2/23/2015 10:08am
How strong are Ti axles compared to oem steel ? If I were to 'roll my own' what grade should I look for and what type heat treatment ?

Nice find !
jtracing6
2/23/2015 11:05am
How strong are Ti axles compared to oem steel ? If I were to 'roll my own' what grade should I look for and what type...
How strong are Ti axles compared to oem steel ? If I were to 'roll my own' what grade should I look for and what type heat treatment ?

Nice find !
You would have to contact Steve Denton to clarify that.

The Shop

RyanLester761
2/23/2015 9:58pm
Grade 5, "6AI-4V" is what we use to manufacture orthopedic hip replacements and some knee replacement components at my work. Wikipedia says it's the most common titanium used for manufacturing also.

I don't know Steve Denton. But chances are he agrees.

Just my two cents on the matter.
2/24/2015 9:58am
Grade 5, "6AI-4V" is what we use to manufacture orthopedic hip replacements and some knee replacement components at my work. Wikipedia says it's the most common...
Grade 5, "6AI-4V" is what we use to manufacture orthopedic hip replacements and some knee replacement components at my work. Wikipedia says it's the most common titanium used for manufacturing also.

That's some good info right there ! Many of us here have access to machine tools and are able to make our own trick parts. Just need to take the time to do it is all but it's always nice to share any hard earned knowledge for our hobby !

Thanks again, and good score JT6, your pics gave me the nudge to look into this. I'll be making up some small stainless and Ti parts as soon as I am able.
MaxPower
2/24/2015 2:54pm
That's some good info right there ! Many of us here have access to machine tools and are able to make our own trick parts. Just...
That's some good info right there ! Many of us here have access to machine tools and are able to make our own trick parts. Just need to take the time to do it is all but it's always nice to share any hard earned knowledge for our hobby !

Thanks again, and good score JT6, your pics gave me the nudge to look into this. I'll be making up some small stainless and Ti parts as soon as I am able.
In the next few years you can be milling us hip and knee replacements.
jtracing6
2/24/2015 2:59pm
That's some good info right there ! Many of us here have access to machine tools and are able to make our own trick parts. Just...

MaxPower wrote:
Get a head start and he can build up some stock of joints for us all!
2/24/2015 3:03pm

MaxPower wrote:
hehehe, yeah totally my knees are so loose, no way would I ride anymore without braces.

Hey MaxPower I have a buyer for the CR125, so I squeaked out of having to make my own
Thor style swingarm, yay ! Yamaha only for me going forward, less machining involved.
I'll stick to the small stuff like JT6's parts above.
2/25/2015 2:52pm Edited Date/Time 2/26/2015 1:23am
Grade 5, "6AI-4V" is what we use to manufacture orthopedic hip replacements and some knee replacement components at my work. Wikipedia says it's the most common...

Yup, 6al4v is the stuff. The spindles need heat treatment and shot peening aswell.

I really like machining it, everything is really "crisp".. It's a bugger to drill and tap though!

Stevie

Post a reply to: A couple of nice parts!

The Latest