A/C Separation shoulder

Moto_Matt
Edited Date/Time 5/8/2016 10:45pm
Hello; Old School riders. Curious, if anyone still rides with a level 3 A/C Separation? I'm 49; wondering If, I should get it fixed or continue riding with it? Just happened, two weeks ago, been back on the 450F-on Saturday. Felt sore, but had a couple pain killers, to numb it a bit. Almost wished, I'd just broke the damn collar bone! Did that back with Rich Taylor. We were riding Bob Hanna's track backwards. Hello Rich, saw you on the testing for KTM if you read this? Anyhow, just trying to get some feedback on this injury. Thanks for the tips!
|
Bearuno
5/2/2016 10:15pm
I always wish I'd broken the damned bone with any of my joint injuries - they at least heal.

My AC separation has been the biggest problem for me - more so than my knee problems, as, I've developed a riding style, since I was 16, that compensates a fair bit for them - 40 years of that, makes for a unique riding style.

My upper body injuries are my killer now.

I tried to get my AC separation repaired, got a liar / crap ortho, and he f**ked it up. Now, I can't even flex my bicep.

I understand it's a difficult repair, but, If you can find a Doctor that actually stands being his work / has provable results, get it repaired. Try a fair few Doctors - far too many are bloody bull shit artist, right up there with car salemen, and politicians , in my experience.
Cancerman
5/2/2016 10:38pm
I'd give it 6-8 weeks of rest and low weight loading. Talk to a PT tech, see how they recommend rehabbing. Shoulders are tricky when it comes to repair. I tore my rotator and every Doc I talked to convinced me to leave it alone. That was in 1992. I still moto today. I Just don't throw overhand.....
5/3/2016 10:24pm
Get it fixed, ask your ortho doc to use the arthrex tightrope, or find one that already does use it, (google it) good to go in twelve weeks, they will lie and say 6 weeks but believe me it is twelve.
barkhard696
5/5/2016 12:11pm
Had a III A/C tear when I was 16. Had the Bristow Procedure to repair when I became a chronic dislocator 2 years later; the thing would pop out if I reached over my head, there at the end.

This is one of the very few injuries that is actually better to get once you are older. The cartilage capsule heals more rigidly as you age. At least that is what my surgeon told me, and he seemed he was like 80+ at the time.

Sweet Christmas, though, that injury was a B I T C H. It hurt worse than when I dislocated my hip. Worse than when I broke my hand or cut off the tip of my thumb. I'm amazed you are able to raise your arm, much less ride. You have big ones, bro.

The process now to repair a dislocation would be some form of orthoscopic surgery, a III is going to require a relatively invasive procedure but it's much simpler now that when I had the Bristow done. My procedure cut off part of the bone with the upper bicep attached, moved this to cover the capsule, and a 6-1/2" screw holds the whole thing together. So much stuff was moved around I don't think he even touched the actual capsule itself.

My procedure was archaic even in 1986, but it 100% sure ended my shoulder popping out, and I did a whole bunch of crazy stuff since then without any issues. Really glad I did it.

The Shop

Ted722
5/5/2016 8:32pm Edited Date/Time 5/5/2016 8:36pm
Got my AC separation (grade 3) 22 years ago when I was 26. I let it heal for a few months and it started come back. Never had any separation issues.

Other than the bump in my shoulder and not being able to throw very hard, it hasn't affected moto or day to day stuff.
nytsmaC
5/8/2016 10:45pm
I tore my AC joint and rotator cuff 2 years ago. No dislocation, fortunately. I was absolutely miserable for a couple months. It was the most painful, uncomfortable injury I've ever had, but I did the physio until I was able to ride again. Roughly 6-8 weeks which was probably irresponsible but I was leading the points in my race series.

Two years later it feels and works fine, except for golfing. I lost some driving distance and my shoulder hurts the next day, but strangely it helped with my slice. And throwing overhand, it's a lot weaker than it used to be. I still have a hard time sleeping on my left side, too but it's coming around.

I was never offered to have it repaired, or even an MRI. It's worked out ok, but it took a long time to recover very well. Probably should have continued going to physio but it was really tough to fit it in with my work schedule.

Post a reply to: A/C Separation shoulder

The Latest