93 & 96 CR250 projects - looking for parts

nine1seven
9/26/2009 8:23pm Edited Date/Time 6/20/2015 2:30pm
Hey y'all, I thought maybe one of you might know where I could find some elusive parts. I'm looking for a factory-style ignition cover for a CR250 project I am nearly finished with. They look just like the works Honda ones the factory teams used to use. Supposedly they were sold for awhile by a company in Belguim I'm told. I have seen a couple covers on UK ebay. I've also seen them on used bikes here in the USA so I know they are around. Here are some pics of the cover I am looking for (painted black) as well as my 96 project bike I am nearly finished with and my 93 I am just starting:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

|
Pat327
9/26/2009 9:23pm Edited Date/Time 2/16/2010 7:54am
Very nice!
nine1seven
9/27/2009 7:32am
Thanks! I spent a lot of time and money on this. It's hard to keep a budget when you start these but I'm going to watch it with the 93. I'm using the rims that came on the 96 on the 93 so it will have a 19" rear. I keep checking for updates on the bayle replica. Let's see it!
90rm125
9/27/2009 8:05am
nine1seven wrote:
Thanks! I spent a lot of time and money on this. It's hard to keep a budget when you start these but I'm going to watch...
Thanks! I spent a lot of time and money on this. It's hard to keep a budget when you start these but I'm going to watch it with the 93. I'm using the rims that came on the 96 on the 93 so it will have a 19" rear. I keep checking for updates on the bayle replica. Let's see it!
yep my 90suzuki rm 125 is way over the amount of money i wanted to spend on it and very time consuming but its worth it in the end--hopefully

The Shop

nine1seven
9/27/2009 7:52pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:23am
I think it is worth it, and I'm sure you will too. I'm sure you noticed by now with that RM that parts are getting rare and if you hold on to it for awhile I'm sure it will appreciate in value. I wondered after taking my CR Transmission apart if I'd ever get it back together again. It can only go together one way so look at the wear on the parts and it starts to make sense how it goes together. I think someone said to look at the online microfich and thats a great idea. I do all my work at my buddies shop and learn a lot while I'm working on these projects. He's got a kickass set up with lathes, sandblasting cabinets, welders, parts washers, etc.

I took all the fasteners, axels, nuts, bolts, spokes, and anything else that is steel in to the zinc plating shop last week. I spent 6+ hours in front of the wire and buffing wheel prepping and cleaning each piece. Here's what they look like before and after:

Photobucket
Photobucket

Also sand blasted the frame:

Photobucket
newmann
9/27/2009 8:31pm Edited Date/Time 9/27/2009 8:34pm
Are you going to race either of those beauties with the Evo Sports group around the Houston area? I'll keep my eyes open for the covers as well. I'd like to have those covers for my 83 and 87 CR250's myself.

That's a bigass blasting cabinet. Does it use the standard sucky little blasting gun or something better. My blasting cabinet is soooooooooo slow, but the pressure pot I have make a total mess. Looking for a better cabinet system. How long to do a complete frame in there?? And what do you use for frame paint?
90rm125
9/27/2009 8:36pm
your lucky to have access to those tools i had to hand sand my entire rm frame took forever and I got lucky with the rm, alot of the oem parts are still available
9/27/2009 10:04pm
Where did you get the graphics for the 96? That is one bad looking bike!
nine1seven
9/27/2009 10:58pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:23am
newmann: are you in the Houston area? I sorta painted myself into a corner with the 96...I don't want to mess it up by riding it! Before I took it apart, I did ride the 93 in the decade class at an EVO race at Three Palms in Houston.

When I took the photo of the frame I had about 30 minutes of blasting in. The gun has two hoses-one supplies air pressure and the other is a return for sand or whatever media you are using. A venturi supplies a vacuume that draws media up through the gun. After I got all the paint off I sprayed it with a couple of coats of white primer and then a couple more of gloss white. I'll post some pics after I get a coat of clear on it. I was going to powder coat it like I did with the 96 but I really don't know if it holds up that much better.

True story: the guy I bought this bike from claimed to be the "Texas state supercross champion" He might as well have claimed to have invented the question mark. I wish I would have looked at the underside of the motor closer...I would have seen this:
Photobucket
I guess someone hit a rock and damaged a rib where the bolt holds the center cased together. I split the cases, welded, and then ground down the area.
Photobucket
After all that, I found a motor that was ported and polished and had the cases matched by Pro Circuit. Seller gave me the paperwork and receipts to prove PC did the work. You could see on the base of the cylinder where it had been cut. Got it for $500, and then sold the other motor on ebay. The auction closed at $560 so I made out good on that deal.
andymoto
9/27/2009 11:51pm
Geez, that '96 is one hell of a great looking bike.

That is an impressive steed.
yota
9/28/2009 5:56am
the link doesn't work.
nine1seven
9/28/2009 11:44am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:24am
zer0signal wrote:
Where did you get the graphics for the 96? That is one bad looking bike!
I found a set of the original 100% graphics on craigslist. Paid $50 for them. I ended up sending them in to one of the graphics companies to have them reproduced. I had to talk fast to get them to do it...since 100% is out of business and I don't think copyright applies, but just in case I should ask them before I give out their name and get them in trouble. I got a couple of kits made and I like them better than the originals because there is slits in the tank portion rather than holes so it doesn't show so much. It's 3M material and it's thick sub-surface printed. Here are the original tank graphics and photocopies of the shroud graphics I sent in:

Photobucket

Photobucket

I bought a fender and helmet 1-800-COLLECT trim kit that was also made by 100% for $15 on ebay.
mosslander
9/28/2009 1:13pm
I'm sorry my ignitioncover is not for sale but I can make a moulding plug of the cover and make a copy of it .
My factory cover is unpainted and have the same logo as that one shown at the photo above.

By the way, I'm looking for the clutchcover for my 87 CR250 Rick Johnson projekt.
nine1seven
9/28/2009 2:34pm Edited Date/Time 9/28/2009 2:36pm
mosslander wrote:
I'm sorry my ignitioncover is not for sale but I can make a moulding plug of the cover and make a copy of it . My...
I'm sorry my ignitioncover is not for sale but I can make a moulding plug of the cover and make a copy of it .
My factory cover is unpainted and have the same logo as that one shown at the photo above.

By the way, I'm looking for the clutchcover for my 87 CR250 Rick Johnson projekt.
So you have an ignition cover like the one picured above? That would be great if I could get one to cast a copy from. I know a place where I could get it done in Magnesium. I'll check with them on what type of molding I need to make it happen. I bet if I get a number of them made I would get a better deal...

I will let you know if I find a clutch cover and we can do the same thing as with the ignition cover.
90rm125
9/28/2009 3:18pm
before you sold that old engine how did u get it so clean? sand blasting?
nine1seven
9/28/2009 3:44pm
90rm125 wrote:
before you sold that old engine how did u get it so clean? sand blasting?
I used varsol (basically mineral spirits) in a parts washer and scrubbed it with a stiff bristled brush. I used a scotch brite pad on the spots that were stained.
90rm125
9/28/2009 3:50pm
ah ic i sand blasted my rm cases didnt like how they came out though so i just slightly polished them
nine1seven
9/29/2009 8:23am
How is that RM coming along? You need to get some pictures of it up! I liked the plastic they had back then. A huge improvement over the 80's look.

I wonder how long the manufacturers have to provide OEM parts. A few of the parts I ordered took forever to get and I was told they had to come from Japan.
bd
9/29/2009 8:43am
Contact this guy on ebay: http://myworld.ebay.com/red-elsinore/

He sells trick Mugen and HRC parts. I bought the ignition cover your looking for from him.
nine1seven
9/29/2009 9:02am
bd wrote:
Contact this guy on ebay: http://myworld.ebay.com/red-elsinore/

He sells trick Mugen and HRC parts. I bought the ignition cover your looking for from him.
Thanks for that. I sent him a msg asking about it. What is the cover made of, Aluminum? What did you use it on?
bd
9/29/2009 9:24am
Not sure... Its FL and I dont use it. Curious... how much would you offer for the piece?
90rm125
9/29/2009 9:37am
nine1seven wrote:
How is that RM coming along? You need to get some pictures of it up! I liked the plastic they had back then. A huge improvement...
How is that RM coming along? You need to get some pictures of it up! I liked the plastic they had back then. A huge improvement over the 80's look.

I wonder how long the manufacturers have to provide OEM parts. A few of the parts I ordered took forever to get and I was told they had to come from Japan.
its in pieces ive been trying to work on it but i just have no time with college but im plannin on maken some progress on it this weekend
nine1seven
9/29/2009 10:02am
bd wrote:
Not sure... Its FL and I dont use it. Curious... how much would you offer for the piece?
Are you interested in selling it? Would you take $100+shipping?
mosslander
9/29/2009 3:25pm
mosslander wrote:
I'm sorry my ignitioncover is not for sale but I can make a moulding plug of the cover and make a copy of it . My...

nine1seven wrote:
So you have an ignition cover like the one picured above? That would be great if I could get one to cast a copy from. I...
So you have an ignition cover like the one picured above? That would be great if I could get one to cast a copy from. I know a place where I could get it done in Magnesium. I'll check with them on what type of molding I need to make it happen. I bet if I get a number of them made I would get a better deal...

I will let you know if I find a clutch cover and we can do the same thing as with the ignition cover.
Yes brother I have! and moulding it in magnesium sounds great
the big problem is to make the mouldingplug a little bigger becouse the shrinking when
the part's cooling and the fitness may be second but I know som good worker's in the
casting industri that use to fix those problems and I will ask them to make some of it and you can have one aswell.
mosslander
9/29/2009 3:47pm
Anyway forgotten to ask if the cr250 and cr500 shearing the same clutchcover they look very simular
Pat327
9/29/2009 4:05pm Edited Date/Time 2/16/2010 7:55am
mosslander
9/29/2009 4:33pm
Pat327 wrote:
That's a 125 clutchcover I think, do you have a photo like that of the 250 cover, please post that too
Pat327
9/29/2009 4:43pm Edited Date/Time 2/16/2010 7:56am
nine1seven
9/30/2009 10:38am
mosslander wrote:

nine1seven wrote:
So you have an ignition cover like the one picured above? That would be great if I could get one to cast a copy from. I...

mosslander wrote:
Yes brother I have! and moulding it in magnesium sounds great the big problem is to make the mouldingplug a little bigger becouse the shrinking when...
Yes brother I have! and moulding it in magnesium sounds great
the big problem is to make the mouldingplug a little bigger becouse the shrinking when
the part's cooling and the fitness may be second but I know som good worker's in the
casting industri that use to fix those problems and I will ask them to make some of it and you can have one aswell.
That would be great if you could look into reproducing your ignition cover and, when we find one, a clutch cover. If you could get a few made and find out how much it is going to cost, lets get it in the works. There are quite a few folks on here that are interested it sounds like. It's the next best thing to finding original works parts. I saw that Turnerdan CR250. I'd love to get my hands on some of those works Honda CR parts. My dream would be Henry's CR that was on Racer X awhile ago.

Post a reply to: 93 & 96 CR250 projects - looking for parts

The Latest