92 YZ250 rebuild - Bradshaw replica

BM255
Edited Date/Time 2/19/2016 2:10am
I've been toying with the idea of building a Bradshaw tribute bike for a few years.
Well, I bought this today and can't wait to pick it up and start work on it.
This will be my first MX bike project and I'm bloody excited to say the least, this will be a complete rebuild so I'm looking for plenty of help and advice from all you old school guys to source parts and generally get the details right.

The challenge is to turn this

into this
|
38special
5/17/2013 6:58am
Best project EVER! I had those graphics on my '92 back in the day (also had the orange on my 91) I just did a Bradshaw 89 125 replica, the 92 250 will be my next project.

Please post updates!
jammin76tx
5/17/2013 8:17am
38special wrote:
Best project EVER! I had those graphics on my '92 back in the day (also had the orange on my 91) I just did a Bradshaw...
Best project EVER! I had those graphics on my '92 back in the day (also had the orange on my 91) I just did a Bradshaw 89 125 replica, the 92 250 will be my next project.

Please post updates!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Great job on the 125, 38spl!

BM255, good luck with the project! Being a Bradshaw fan, I can't wait to see it's progress.
5/19/2013 8:42pm
I can't wait to see your progress and how it turns out! I will definitely be staying tuned....
BM255
5/21/2013 2:09am
Finally got it home, into the garage and started the tear down.
It starts and runs pretty well I have to say, but will need at the very least a top end, I'm not kidding myself though as I'm sure it will need much more once I get further on.
I haven't been able to spend much time on it yet but heres some pictures anyway.

Generally pretty rough throughout
 photo 2013-05-19153213.jpg
 photo 2013-05-19153118.jpg
 photo 2013-05-19155940.jpg

Radiators have definately seen better days
 photo 2013-05-19153200.jpg

Interesting use of zip ties
 photo 2013-05-19153108.jpg

Some non-standard bolts here and there......to be expected I guess
 photo 2013-05-19160247.jpg
 photo 2013-05-19153138.jpg

More pictures coming this weekend when I have time to get further with it

The Shop

DownSouth
5/22/2013 1:03pm Edited Date/Time 5/22/2013 1:19pm
I think that may actually be a WR250. The silencer is too long to be a YZ, and that definitely looks like an OEM Yamaha silencer. Also see if it has an 18 inch rear wheel, as the YZ's had 19's.

The only difference between a WR/YZ would be gear ratios in the tranny and maybe some different jetting/suspension settings and the 18 inch rear wheel vs. the 19 on the YZ.

I have a 1991 YZ250 and the stock silencer does not extend that far beyond the rear mounting bracket. The 91-92 YZ's were nearly identical aside from the 92's restyled front number plate, graphics and minor mechanical tweaks.

My 91 is close to a Bradshaw replica, it has the GYTR 1992 race team orange/blue graphics & seat cover and a 1992 front fender. I never got around to adding the 92 front # plate. It is too bad that the plastic has yellowed with age, that is the biggest drawback on the white Yamahas.

BM255
5/22/2013 7:35pm
DownSouth wrote:
I think that may actually be a WR250. The silencer is too long to be a YZ, and that definitely looks like an OEM Yamaha silencer...
I think that may actually be a WR250. The silencer is too long to be a YZ, and that definitely looks like an OEM Yamaha silencer. Also see if it has an 18 inch rear wheel, as the YZ's had 19's.

The only difference between a WR/YZ would be gear ratios in the tranny and maybe some different jetting/suspension settings and the 18 inch rear wheel vs. the 19 on the YZ.

I have a 1991 YZ250 and the stock silencer does not extend that far beyond the rear mounting bracket. The 91-92 YZ's were nearly identical aside from the 92's restyled front number plate, graphics and minor mechanical tweaks.

My 91 is close to a Bradshaw replica, it has the GYTR 1992 race team orange/blue graphics & seat cover and a 1992 front fender. I never got around to adding the 92 front # plate. It is too bad that the plastic has yellowed with age, that is the biggest drawback on the white Yamahas.

Thanks for posting pics of your bike, it looks awesome, I 'm wondering if you know where I might find replica graphics? I would prefer to be able to source them if possible rather than having to try to recreate them from scratch.
I also wondered whether it was a WR250 but I did some research on the serial numbers and it's definitely a YZ250. It has a 19" rear wheel and the shock spring is pink but has been painted black by someone at some stage. Also the radiator shroud are OEM Omaha and have the original pink YZ250 graphics. The muffler is definitely not correct so I think this was added at some point by someone, the previous owner used it for trail rides so it could have been him.
DownSouth
5/23/2013 9:36am Edited Date/Time 5/23/2013 9:38am
I dug out an old Yamaha accessory catalog and found the part #'s for the graphics and seat cover.

Graphics ABA-92SXD-CL-01
Seat cover (standard) ABB-3XK24-92-PL
Seat cover (gripper) ABB-3XK24-92-PN

I googled the #'s and of course they come up discontinued/obsolete. It is probably a very long shot to check dealers and see if anyone somehow still has any laying around on a dusty shelf.

I am not sure who supplied the graphics to Yamaha but the seat covers were made by CEET Racing

It looks like CEET still offers a purple cover for the 91-92 model. However it may not match the race team replica cover sold through Yamaha's accessory division. The one I have has the gray gripper material on the seat and the white/orange "Yamaha" graphics on the side.

You are probably going to have to go with custom graphics. The odds of finding a set are probably not too good and if you did the vinyl may have shrank and the adhesive aged to the point where they may not stick very well.

Mine was changed from the stock magenta look to the purple/orange factory scheme back in 92-93 when the stuff was still available.
DownSouth
5/23/2013 10:39am Edited Date/Time 5/23/2013 10:46am
I had mine out at the track a few years back to blow out the cobwebs. I should to get it out from under the tarp and see how it runs these days.

If you need to make custom graphics I could dig it out of the garage and take some close up detail photos of the graphics for reference.

BM255
5/23/2013 12:26pm
DownSouth wrote:
I had mine out at the track a few years back to blow out the cobwebs. I should to get it out from under the tarp...
I had mine out at the track a few years back to blow out the cobwebs. I should to get it out from under the tarp and see how it runs these days.

If you need to make custom graphics I could dig it out of the garage and take some close up detail photos of the graphics for reference.

Thanks for the info on the graphics, I dont think the factory purple and orange versions were ever offered in NZ through the dealers, so ill get them made up. It would be a great help if you could take some photos so we can match them up as best we can. I appreciate the offer.....thanks!
DownSouth
5/24/2013 3:55pm
I will work on digging it out to get some pictures. There is a LOT of stuff in the way to get the bike out of the back corner of my garage. I may not have the time this weekend.
notme
5/25/2013 12:51pm
BM255 wrote:
Thanks for the info on the graphics, I dont think the factory purple and orange versions were ever offered in NZ through the dealers, so ill...
Thanks for the info on the graphics, I dont think the factory purple and orange versions were ever offered in NZ through the dealers, so ill get them made up. It would be a great help if you could take some photos so we can match them up as best we can. I appreciate the offer.....thanks!
You should take the pics and measurements of the graphics and email them to evo-mx.com. They will replicate them for you and the quality is top notch.

Some feedback on them here...
http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Old-School-Moto,22/1994-KX250-Restoration…
BM255
5/27/2013 2:32am
Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate the advice and website references etc.......keep it coming!
I got a chance to do a few more hours over the weekend, it's just about completely stripped down now and I have to say that I'm pretty happy with what I've found. With the exception of one snapped off bolt and a few mismatched or non-standard items, it's all pretty much there and undamaged. The frame is in really good condition, not bent or repaired, no missing brackets or stripped out threads, so it's just going to be a straight out refinish.

The engine is out and on the bench, this will get a complete pull down and the cases will go out for paint, not sure what goodies to put in it when it goes back together though, I'm keen to get your thoughts/feedback, especially in the carb and reed department
 photo 20130526_155445.jpg

The forks and shock are coming out next and will go out for a complete rebuild with heavier springs.
 photo 20130526_155358.jpg

I have an Ohlins rear shock that was previously in my 2007 CRF450 which is just lying around, does anyone know whether it will fit, or should I just sell it and spend the money rebuilding the stock one?
 photo 20130527_212901.jpg
BM255
6/10/2013 1:22am
Thought I'd add an update,
The bike is well and truely pulled apart now, the motor is completely stripped down and the cases are going out to be repainted. It's getting new bottom end, rod kit and of course the top end, the gearbox was perfect as was the clutch basket, so just new clutch plates needed. The carb is in decent condition, but I'll do a rebuild kit anyway. The original choke lever assembly is missing and someone replaced it with a knob, so I'll sort that out while I'm at it.
The forks and shock are getting completely rebuilt with heavier springs and revalved to suit my weight etc.
There was some minor damage to the swingarm where a sprocket bolt has come loose at some point, so that is being welded up and refinished, while I'm at it I'll grind off the caliper guard bracket as it looks like the factory bikes didn't run a caliper guard from the pics I can find.
I've ordered so many replacement parts that It's going to be like christmas here soon when the packages start turning up. Basically I've ordered all new fastenings, plastics, cables, graphics ......the list goes on and on.

A couple of questions for you guys though......
I can't seem to find the correct seat cover, I've contacted CEET and they have the correct color but the YAMAHA lettering is white and doesn't have the orange shadow, if I went for this cover it would bug the shit out of me everytime I looked at it. Does anyone know where I could source the correct replica seat cover?

Also I was wondering if anyone knows which pro taper bars Bradshaw ran and if that model is still available?

Footpegs.....I want to replace these with some that have a factory look to them, I'm struggling to find anything suitable, any ideas?

Some more pictures of the pull down

photo IMG_1797.jpg
 photo IMG_1812.jpg
 photo IMG_1801.jpg
 photo IMG_1802.jpg
 photo IMG_1810.jpg
 photo IMG_1816.jpg
 photo IMG_1820.jpg
 photo IMG_1819.jpg
Kidkawie
6/10/2013 7:09am Edited Date/Time 6/10/2013 7:10am
Wow, you've got some work cut out. Nothin like clapped out 90's two strokes. lol (I can laugh now) Like notme said, EVO-MX is down with 90's stuff and will definitely help you out with those graphics. Oem-Replics out of Bankok (http://stores.ebay.com/Replica-Store?_trksid=p2047675.l2563) might do the seat cover for you. They seem to work with restorers. On my resto, besides a decent pipe, it was the most difficult finding the graphics and seat cover. If you can get that stuff the rest should be straight forward.

Sweet bike, Down South! The yellowing/patina looks fine to me.
notme
6/10/2013 5:38pm
I messaged oem-replica (ebay) about custon seatcover work and only got a straight up "no", I asked for a honda technosel replica cover, and mentioned if he could pull this off I could get him a shit ton of sales for custom work......shame.
However the stock honda 95 era cover I got from them is excellent, low price too.

Lovin this Brashaw build, although not really a yamaflaw fan I always liked these years of yz''s.
BM255
6/10/2013 9:22pm
newmann wrote:
You did get my PM??
Hi Newmann, yes I just saw it in my emails now sorry. Thanks for the info, there are some really good leads there, I'll definately hit up N-Style for the graphics and seat cover. thanks again for your comments and suggestions, you guys are right amongst it over there in the states and as I'm sourcing most parts from there, it's awesome to get this advice.
BM255
6/11/2013 12:47am
jtracing6 wrote:
Contact this guy in Italy for seat covers. He used to work at Tecnosel and still make replica covers
alassioalex@alice.it
Thanks, I'll give him a try
Banana_oil
6/11/2013 10:02am
Nice project, the 91-92 YZ's are so cool!

Speaking of Öhlins shock this was mounted on my 90. It looks similar to yours but shorter. The length of mine is ~443mm and it should be possible to change the rod if you only find one that have the right length.

BM255
6/11/2013 12:28pm
Banana_oil wrote:
Nice project, the 91-92 YZ's are so cool! Speaking of Öhlins shock this was mounted on my 90. It looks similar to yours but shorter. The...
Nice project, the 91-92 YZ's are so cool!

Speaking of Öhlins shock this was mounted on my 90. It looks similar to yours but shorter. The length of mine is ~443mm and it should be possible to change the rod if you only find one that have the right length.

Yes you're right it is adifferent length, and the top moulding where it attaches to the resovoir is a different shape to allow for the exhaust, are you still using it, if not would you consider selling?
Banana_oil
6/11/2013 12:46pm
I haven't used it yet, just got the bike and will start rebuilding soon. But I will let you know if I reconsider.
BM255
7/26/2013 9:22pm
Thought it was about time for an update, I've been away on holiday and then for work for the past few weeks so progress has been hampered somewhat. I have however been chipping away mostly sending parts out for powder coating, paint, plating etc, and also cleaning and stripping components and sourcing parts.
Some of the parts have started arriving and there's been a steady stream of courier deliveries.

Here's some pictures of progress so far.
The frame came back looking awesome, totally exceeded my expectations

The Swing arm stripped back to bare aluminium, There was a big gouge from a loose sprocket bolt so this had to be welded up and ground back, I've spent hours on it with scotchbrite to get it to this point. I think I will keep a brushed finish and then have it anodised. A bit more work to do to get it how I want it first though.

Some parts I just finished repainting, I'm using the stock triple clamps for now, but long term I'm thinking of getting some custom billet ones made up by Emig Racing.

I've kept the Soda blasting guy pretty busy, makes the parts come out like new!

Stock shock completely rebuilt with new shaft and heavier spring

New Plastics have arrived

New seat foam from CEET racing

Some hardware back from plating

New replacements parts are coming in thick and fast
jtracing6
7/28/2013 12:42am
notme wrote:
I messaged oem-replica (ebay) about custon seatcover work and only got a straight up "no", I asked for a honda technosel replica cover, and mentioned if...
I messaged oem-replica (ebay) about custon seatcover work and only got a straight up "no", I asked for a honda technosel replica cover, and mentioned if he could pull this off I could get him a shit ton of sales for custom work......shame.
However the stock honda 95 era cover I got from them is excellent, low price too.

Lovin this Brashaw build, although not really a yamaflaw fan I always liked these years of yz''s.
Contact graffix factory for Tecnosel seat covers and any graphics.

http://www.vitalmx.com/photos/member/EVO-TWINSHOCKs-album,17160/Graffix…
DownSouth
7/30/2013 1:56pm
I finally managed to dig mine out of the garage and get you some photos for reference on the graphics. PM me an email address and I will send you all the pics.

MaxPower
7/30/2013 3:44pm
How much does plating of the bolts cost BM255?
Details like that make all the difference
I really like that bike
Are you going to ride ths bike?
BM255
8/1/2013 12:25am
MaxPower wrote:
How much does plating of the bolts cost BM255? Details like that make all the difference I really like that bike Are you going to ride...
How much does plating of the bolts cost BM255?
Details like that make all the difference
I really like that bike
Are you going to ride ths bike?
Thanks MaxPower
The cost of plating will vary depending on who you use and how much stuff you want plated, also there are different plating options and how much prep work is required.
The cost for plating (bright zinc) the parts in the picture I posted was around $80 (NZD).
These are all large bolts like axles, swing arm pivot, engine mounting bolts, linkage pins etc, all other nuts and bolts for the bike will be new.
Yes I do intend to ride the bike but it will be limited to a few rides per year so it stays in mint condition, it's funny how the more I work on it the more I feel like I shouldn't ride it when it's finished, but I just can't bare seeing a bike like this sitting around unused.
Sandberm
8/1/2013 12:07pm
I have that same bike out in my shed. I haven't ridden it in a few years as it needs the lower end gone through.

My left radiator looks like yours. That left shroud really digs in when you crash and puts a mangle on the radiator.

Anyways, great job on the restoration and I look forward to watching your continued progress.
BM255
8/20/2013 1:41am
Hi again, Lots have happened, I have an absolute ton of parts in my garage and almost everything is either new or refurbished. I'm planning to start assembling this weekend so will post some pics as I go.

I do have a question though........I can't decide what to do about footpegs, I would really like something that looks "factory" but limited to what I can find available that will fit this model bike. What advice can you offer? should I go stainless steel or Titanium? if titanium what is available? if I go stainless what feedback do you have on IMS brand or any other brand for that matter?
Looking forward to your thoughts

Post a reply to: 92 YZ250 rebuild - Bradshaw replica

The Latest