92 CR250 - Close to a lost cause

Anaxdlere
4/10/2015 3:36pm
Found some stuff that seems to be working very well taking the paint off the shock and the master cylinder. Is taking a while but got the shock done and am halfway through the master cylinder

Bultaco
4/11/2015 8:27am
A 92CR is one of the best bikes I've ever owned and raced. Factory Connection has some settings for that year that, in my case, were pure magic. Love seeing you making this bike whole again. I'll see if I can find a pic of my 92CR. I did a similar rebuild with mine, although it was not nearly as dead is your's is.
Anaxdlere
4/11/2015 3:37pm
Got the airboot clean!! I was about to work on the pipe when I noticed it felt heavy, so flushed it out to find either a rat's nest or an aborted sofa cushion......I may give up on the pipe!

MX90sguy753
4/13/2015 10:30am
It's coming along nicely. I just dropped off my frame and subframe at powder coating today the only thing I'm really worried about is finding that stock muffler.

The Shop

Anaxdlere
5/1/2015 10:48am
Replica seat cover came in. Looks pretty decent. Also got the cylinder back and it is all ready. About to split the cases and powder coat them.

Anaxdlere
9/14/2015 10:01am
Been making lots of headway on this. I ran into a stumbling block buying another motor off eBay. The guy shipped me a CR125 motor instead then refuses to admit what he sent is not what he had pictured. Slight delay in my progress with the motor while the calipers, steering stem, etc. are getting blasted.

Very frustrating! I have been lucky not to get scammed off eBay for almost 15 years. I guess I was due.

The Ad:

What I got

These are just a few of the examples of how ridiculous it is, but not giving up on the old girl. Just finished sanding the tank down and hope to get some momentum this week
slackinoff
9/14/2015 11:39am
Wow, this is fun! You are doing a great job at getting everything clean
EL Sammo
9/14/2015 11:58pm
Only reasonable direction would be to build a 125 now also, you already have the bottom end to get started!
MaxPower
9/15/2015 7:27am
Anaxdlere wrote:
Been making lots of headway on this. I ran into a stumbling block buying another motor off eBay. The guy shipped me a CR125 motor instead...
Been making lots of headway on this. I ran into a stumbling block buying another motor off eBay. The guy shipped me a CR125 motor instead then refuses to admit what he sent is not what he had pictured. Slight delay in my progress with the motor while the calipers, steering stem, etc. are getting blasted.

Very frustrating! I have been lucky not to get scammed off eBay for almost 15 years. I guess I was due.

The Ad:

What I got

These are just a few of the examples of how ridiculous it is, but not giving up on the old girl. Just finished sanding the tank down and hope to get some momentum this week
Don't worry about your money with the ebay motor.
Ebay strictly sticks to their policy that the seller is always wrong, no matter if the seller has 10,000 positive ratings or if the are really douchebag sellers. Don't waste your time. Open a case immediately and escalate it as soon as possible.
Once ebay gives you your money back the seller can go screw and you are done. Your250 was just as clapped as Billysleds 83 cr125 .
Anaxdlere
9/16/2015 1:00pm
I found a 96 crankcase locally on Craigslist that I may check out. Partzilla says the crankcase is the same for 92-96. Anyone found anything that may dispute that?
Anaxdlere
9/18/2015 7:32am
Found a set of radiators and guards/grilles (those radiator grilles are impossible to find!!) on Craigslist. I need to clean them up and determine if the radiator fins can be straightened out, and get the stickers off the guards, but at least I have them!

I also picked up the 96 crankcase which looks spectacular, so hopefully it will work with my re-plated cylinder. Picking up the blasted parts next week too.

Time to start re-assembling!

Anaxdlere
9/20/2015 6:50pm
Quick mock up before I start putting the other parts back together. Assembling the engine as we speak. Hope to start having better progress pics soon.
Please ignore the cluttered garage. That is the next project after this is done.

slackinoff
9/22/2015 5:17am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2015 5:17am
Wow that is amazing! The bike has come a long way.

Are you going to powder coat the cases?
Jmcd1988
9/22/2015 9:08am
Going to be a good looking bike when it's done.
Anaxdlere
9/22/2015 10:44am
the crankcase I found is in amazing shape, looks close to new so I am going to just try cleaning the crap out of that one first and see how it looks with the re-plated cylinder.
I need to do more sanding on that tank. It looks night and day difference but still have a ways to go to make it look whiter.
Jmcd1988
9/22/2015 11:16am
What are you using on the tank? I washed mine with soft scrub with bleach and it looks a lot better, but it needs to be a few shades whiter.
Anaxdlere
9/22/2015 11:32am
Jmcd1988 wrote:
What are you using on the tank? I washed mine with soft scrub with bleach and it looks a lot better, but it needs to be...
What are you using on the tank? I washed mine with soft scrub with bleach and it looks a lot better, but it needs to be a few shades whiter.
I started with SOS pads to clean/degrease it, then I used 280 grit sandpaper and wet sanded, moved up to 300, then 400, then 600, 800, finally 1,000. After that, I used the Novus 1-2-3 system (not super impressed but maybe I didn't sand enough). I think me doing the sanding by hand is what limited my results, so will try it again with a sander or something.
Anaxdlere
9/23/2015 8:41am
Cleaned up an old Renthal cloth bar pad and found some white replica bars

Anaxdlere
9/28/2015 7:36am
Well my replica seat cover looks darker than the plastics. This is the eBay replica one from Thailand. I see Evo-MX has a neon red one on their site, but can't tell from the stock photos if it is lighter red than the one I have. Anyone have the Evo-MX repro neon red Honda seat cover I could see?
Anaxdlere
9/28/2015 8:08am
I have not, but thanks for the suggestion! Checking it out now
9/28/2015 8:24am
Anaxdlere wrote:
Well my replica seat cover looks darker than the plastics. This is the eBay replica one from Thailand. I see Evo-MX has a neon red one...
Well my replica seat cover looks darker than the plastics. This is the eBay replica one from Thailand. I see Evo-MX has a neon red one on their site, but can't tell from the stock photos if it is lighter red than the one I have. Anyone have the Evo-MX repro neon red Honda seat cover I could see?
I haven't got a fluoro one, but I do have a '91 from them, and the colour misses the mark by a country mile.

Tecnosel were never a great match, but they were a period accessory.

Dirk Timmer had a NOS OE Honda one a little while back, I posted a link to it on here because I know they're like finding rocking horse poo, but nobody was interested.
SLOWTIME
9/28/2015 6:37pm
Anaxdlere wrote:
Well my replica seat cover looks darker than the plastics. This is the eBay replica one from Thailand. I see Evo-MX has a neon red one...
I'm not sure about the 92 CR, but Evo-MX matched the color of the 93 seat cover perfectly.

Anaxdlere
9/28/2015 7:18pm
Well damn. That is definitely much brighter shade of red than the one I have. Time to do my pound to dollar conversions to see how much I am going to have to pay!
Anaxdlere
10/5/2015 8:47am
A few quick updates.
I ordered the brighter red seat cover from Evo-MX. Since I have an extra seat, I will use the thailand darker red seat cover on that one and just sell it. Will post pics once the new one comes in.

I had taken the steering stem, calipers, and a few other hard parts to my local powder coater (who did such a great job on the frame) to have him bead blast them after reading a post here by someone who had great results with it. Apparently my guy just agreed he could do it and must not have done the second pass with the finer beads, because the parts look like that dull, primer type finish.
I may either try to polish them out myself or find another shop that can make that second pass with the finer 100-170 grain bead for that nice sheen. Very frustrating! So close to finishing!!
Jmcd1988
10/5/2015 6:33pm
Jmcd1988 wrote:
What are you using on the tank? I washed mine with soft scrub with bleach and it looks a lot better, but it needs to be...
Anaxdlere wrote:
I started with SOS pads to clean/degrease it, then I used 280 grit sandpaper and wet sanded, moved up to 300, then 400, then 600, 800...
I started with SOS pads to clean/degrease it, then I used 280 grit sandpaper and wet sanded, moved up to 300, then 400, then 600, 800, finally 1,000. After that, I used the Novus 1-2-3 system (not super impressed but maybe I didn't sand enough). I think me doing the sanding by hand is what limited my results, so will try it again with a sander or something.
I picked up the novus kit. Thanks!
MaxPower
10/5/2015 6:45pm
Anaxdlere wrote:
Let the guy in Thailand know about the color being wrong. He worked with me and my kx seat until it was 100% right
MaxPower
10/5/2015 6:49pm
To get the final finish use a buffing wheel that youd use in a bench grinder and mount it in a drill. Nothing that sounds that spins too fast or you will burn the plastic. If you sanded it with a super fine grit you will get a factory finish and a bunch of wheel fibers up your nose. Use this with the Novus 123

Post a reply to: 92 CR250 - Close to a lost cause

The Latest