90's bikes?

Tdub13
Edited Date/Time 4/16/2015 8:35am
Really??? Can we make an OLD SCHOOL MOTO forum that doesn't have Liquid Cooled, Single Shock, Power Valved, double Disk Braked bikes please? There has been no innovation since 1989. None! Just "refinements" and cheater 4-strokes with twice the displacement and 1/2 the talent it takes to ride a real MX bike. PHHHHRRRP.
|
JPT
4/10/2015 12:32am Edited Date/Time 4/10/2015 12:43am
I never rode a dirt bike that didn't have two shocks and drum brakes. I Competed in a "Street Class", converted a DT-1 and raced a DT-2 against Huskys, AJSs, Maicos, CanAms, Greeves, Bultacos, Montesas, Ossas and CZs. I have experienced a flying W, worn lineman boots, real leathers, and an open faced helmet. I know the difference between the Inter-AM and Trans-AM and how important it was to finish "first American". I remember people asking me if I was"going to a hill climb" and the puzzled look I'd get when I answered "no, a motocross". I remember people complaining about those "damn, noisy, smelly two strokes" and others about how much power they lost when they started requiring silencers. I also know that Hodakas not only looked like toasters, they made that tick, tick sound cooling off just like an overheated toaster.

That's what I consider old school.
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3719th
4/10/2015 4:14am
Lol says the people's who's avatars are just that, disc brakes, single shocks, and water cooled engines. All bullshit aside me being 31 oldschool to me would be 90's - early 2000's.
4/10/2015 4:26am
CrGuy2T wrote:
Lol says the people's who's avatars are just that, disc brakes, single shocks, and water cooled engines. All bullshit aside me being 31 oldschool to me...
Lol says the people's who's avatars are just that, disc brakes, single shocks, and water cooled engines. All bullshit aside me being 31 oldschool to me would be 90's - early 2000's.
My comment was tongue-in-cheek. (As I imagine yours is too - although some people won't get it)

I'm 32, and have had my '91 for 15+ years now.
I like the fact that there's a wide range of ages of bikes in here.

My 'modern' bike is still 24 years old!!

I race a modern KTM smoker, and also ride a 1947 500cc Matchless thumper on occasion.

I'm not interested in the Alu framed CR's and stuff, so I just don't read those threads, easy.

The Shop

nytsmaC
4/10/2015 5:12am Edited Date/Time 4/10/2015 5:15am
I count 10 threads in this forum that were active yesterday. Is that too much that it needs to be split up?
T.Page
4/10/2015 5:29am
Read what you like. Sit tight i'm sending a waaaambulance.
montesagold
4/10/2015 5:59am
I like them all, I would be perfectly happy if you were to flood the page with badass Bultaco threads and stockpiles of leather britches for sale cheap.
Tdub13
4/10/2015 6:32am
Sorry for the rant. I do get it and I do realize that my avatar is me on my Mono shocked, disk braked 490. AND I just bought a 1982 RM125. My first liquid cooled bike in 20 years. I guess I'm just nostalgic about the 70's and 80's when most of the really exciting innovations were being rolled onto the showroom floor. 90's bikes are cool. But BNG is just boring to me.
4/10/2015 6:50am
Totally get it. The Late 70's and early 80's saw amazing progress.

Late 80's onwards was essentially just manufacturers refining the established ideas.

As long as it has two wheels and an engine however, I'll be interested.
MXM
4/10/2015 7:42am Edited Date/Time 4/10/2015 7:48am
I agree that 90's hardware is a little to new for me in my 40's but to other younger riders it might really feel vintage. I have a real problem when people say history stops at 1984 and anything else is "new". This is the type of attitude that will kill AHRMA, by not moving forward and having say a 25 year old plus class that moves every year to included bikes 25 years old that year; Eventually all the old guys who only want to see and race bikes from the 60's-70's will all be gone one way or another and the starting lines will be empty. Not every kid wants to ride his dad's bike, they want to ride what they had as kids and that may be a 1990 bike, by the way is 25 years old this year

There may not be any real new advancements since the late 80's but ever part of the bikes have gone through massive upgrades that make them superior in every way to the old stuff. They make more HP per cc, they have far superior suspension and are much more durable, not to mention they are pretty much ready to race off the showroom floor without massive upgrades and tuning for the most part.

My point is that a 2015 YZ 125 against a 1987 YZ 125 would be a bloodbath, but to some they are the same Tech so they must be the same bike, what a bunch of crap.

Tdub13
4/10/2015 8:17am
All good points except that I'm talking about 90's bikes, not that '87 that you posted. IMHO, this '95 YZ125 isn't much different (looking) than the 2015 that you posted. Minor tech upgrades...Smaller bearing here larger axle there, wavy rotors and new valving and spring rates every year. An aluminum frame was the big change. I Don't get me wrong, I like anything with two wheels, but this doesn't seem like Old School to me...

4/10/2015 8:27am
But this seems sufficiently old to me.

Still over 20 years old.

It's all about variety, and as we're all different ages, we all grew up in awe of bikes and riders of different eras.

That's what makes it so good.
ATKpilot99
4/10/2015 8:41am
The Midwest Vintage series has an Evo 5 class this season for bikes 1990 -2000. I don't think modern 4 strokes are allowed though, meaning no yzs , Huskies , or Berg 4 strokes of that era .
4/10/2015 10:45am Edited Date/Time 4/10/2015 10:46am
Pretty much everything 2000+ is more or less competitive with new tech (cc vs cc). But then even the YZ 2t's didn't get the new forks till 2006.

90's was late adolescence for motocross bikes.. Especially the early/mid 90s with the lines & ergos changing quite a bit over those years. By the late 90's bikes got a bit more refined.. but even now the second to last generation KX's look pretty dated to me. The last gen RM's are getting that way.

I love all of the vintage rides I see posted here. I started on a dual shock 4 stroke with points and low slung muffler. I rode garbage bikes most of my early years, all I could afford at the time. I thought I was in sweet heaven by the time I had my first dual-disk mx'er (86 KX one two five).

Another look at this is parts for older bikes are harder and harder to come by and that alone gives them merit as far as restorations go. I'm in awe over the work MXM is doing in his '87 125 series. But I know he isn't having an easy go finding NOS parts for those machines.. and nobody seems to step up to manufacture quality replacements for parts the manf's long stopped producing.

Everyone ought to appreciate the interest there IS in vintage scoots.. even the 90's models.
4/10/2015 11:21am
I was born in 78. The mid 80's to mid 90's bikes are where I'm at. Drum brakes and air cooled doesn't interest me, wrong era. The mid 80's CR's were the baddest thing on two wheels when I was a kid.
newmann
4/10/2015 12:47pm
Young 'uns.Laughing

I guess some of the 90 models are just as old or older as when I got into the 74 Elsinores back in 1990. I remember the old codgers at AHRMA blowing a fuggin gasket when we efficiently ran our 1998 or 99 AHRMA national at Swan MX to finish up at 1:00 pm and promptly lined up the Texas region Post Vintage classes for the afternoon. They were none too happy about those "modern" 75-81 model bikes running on the same day as them even though their race was over. Of course I also remember some of them bitchen about 74 model bikes too...lol.
gregscycles
4/10/2015 2:06pm Edited Date/Time 4/10/2015 2:11pm
Tdub13 wrote:
Really??? Can we make an OLD SCHOOL MOTO forum that doesn't have Liquid Cooled, Single Shock, Power Valved, double Disk Braked bikes please? There has been...
Really??? Can we make an OLD SCHOOL MOTO forum that doesn't have Liquid Cooled, Single Shock, Power Valved, double Disk Braked bikes please? There has been no innovation since 1989. None! Just "refinements" and cheater 4-strokes with twice the displacement and 1/2 the talent it takes to ride a real MX bike. PHHHHRRRP.
I agree im 51 ,and grew up on silver yzs and yellow tms and rms , but in 1994. I got divorced and went out and bought a 1994. Yamaha yz250. To me that thing ripped ,im from Md. But moved to fl, riding that sand. Made me a better rider when i would go back up north and ride with my buddies , i stuck to those motocross tracks like glue. It could really slide in to a berm passing all me riding ...racing. buddies . Well i dont know now that 94. Would be old school but man it was fun to race in the day on it. I had a old suzuki tm100. Ec birt works bike i have it posted in a forum on here under old school. Any of you guys that know anything about that one i would love to hear about it.
Honda88L
4/10/2015 5:59pm
In order for our love of riding and racing old bikes at a race or on a track that us old souls can ride we have to open up the window to get more interest. I am willing to guess that most of us think the bike to have for Vintage, Post Vintage, whatever is the bike you wanted, or if you were lucky had, when you were a junior or senior in high school. I race an 83 CR and it is no coincidence I graduated in HS in 1983.

If the guys that are 5 or 10 years younger than me want to chime in and talk about their passion welcome aboard! You can look at the gates at any ARHMA or AMA event and see that opening up the years and or bikes allowed is a must. I too like the pre 74 bikes, I just don't think there are enough of them around or the people willing to race them around to sustain the sport and promoters willing to put on the events.

I'm just happy to have a safe track to ride and race within reason of where I live and if having bikes to 1996 race so it keeps happening no problem here. If you think that would happen if they stopped at twin shock, air cooled, pre 74, etc. you are wrong.

To the earlier post saying it's not like there are a lot of posts on here I agree completely. Why can't we all be on this really and keep the movement going? You change this to pre 74 you will have 4 posts a month....

4/10/2015 10:20pm
To me, bikes pre 1985 are interesting , but i like the fact that most of the "current" tech (besides engine type) was in place on all models by the mid 1980's. Itd be cool to have a "vintage corner" for all the really old bikes as well.
4/11/2015 2:27am
And for me it's late 80's/early 90's. It's all relative to each person, so for someone to start moaning about how what they consider 'old school' should be the same for everyone else is either selfish or a troll looking for attention. Also considering a 25 yr old bike is eligible for evo class now, makes 89/90 models more relevant.

Is it not enough to be glad people are interested in keeping older used bikes, restoring them, even racing them?
4/11/2015 8:45am
AHRMA is shooting itself in its foot with these official classes.

http://www.ahrma.org/racing/vintage-motocross/

CLASSES
Note: All classes are further divided into Novice, Intermediate and Expert rider ability levels.
Premier Lightweight: Certain pre-1965-era machines up to 250cc.
Premier 350: Certain 1960s-era four-stroke machines 300-350cc
Premier 500: Pre-1965-era machines up to 500cc
Premier Open Twins: Pre-1965 twin-cylinder machines 600cc and larger.
Classic 125: 125cc two-strokes and four-strokes up to 150cc, manufactured through December 1971 (and like-design).
Classic 250: Specific 250cc and smaller two-stroke machines introduced just after the Premier Lightweight era (i.e., four-speed Spanish motorcycles, twin-pipe CZ), as well as 350cc non-unit motorcycles.
Classic 500: Specific motorcycles from the late 1960s and early ’70s.
100cc Motocross: 88-100cc two-stroke and 88-120cc four-stroke motorcycles manufactured as 100s, up to 1974 (and like-design).
Early Sportsman Stock: 250 and 500cc classes for certain lightly-modified machines from the early part of the Sportsman era.
Sportsman: 125, 250 and 500cc classes for machines up to model year 1974.
Sportsman Open Twins: Twin-cylinder machines up to model year 1974, manufactured as 600cc and larger.
Open Age: Any AHRMA-eligible rider on an AHRMA-eligible vintage machine.
40+: Riders age 40 or older on any AHRMA-eligible vintage machine.
50+: Riders age 50 or older on any AHRMA-eligible vintage machine.
60+: Riders age 60 or older on any AHRMA-eligible vintage machine.
70+: Riders age 70 or older on any AHRMA-eligible vintage machine.
Women: Females riding any AHRMA-eligible vintage machine.

Honda88L
4/11/2015 10:45am
What you listed is what AHRMA has as the "Vintage" group that basically covers to 74. They also have a group the deem "Post Vintage" that covers 75 to 83-84 depending on the brand - they end at anything with a disc brake pretty much. They typically run vintage Saturday and post vintage on Sunday. Rider count both days is normally pretty similar and many ride both. On races besides Diamond Dons, Unadilla, Rio Bravo, and maybe Reddick the # of riders both days really is too small to make it worth it for the promoter. Go to AHRMA.org and look at the results so far this year for the rider count. The promoter in Delta, OH last year ran modern on Saturday night which was pretty cool and of note they are back on the schedule this year. They do have a support class at some events that allow up to 86 I believe but it is not a points class.

The AMA has a similar structure but they added classic NC(non current) that basically goes 84 to 89, and NC that goes 90 to 96-98 depending on the bike. They only had NC last year for 84 to 98 or so and that was picking up some steam. I took my nieces husband, 33, to a race and he's now looking to get into it but on a 98 YZ. Makes sense because that is what he raced back in the day. There are also a good deal of affordable bikes to be had which can only help.

Local or regional clubs normally have a NC or similar group as far as I know.

I like and am a member of both organizations but I do think getting new blood interested is real important for the long term future.

tns
4/12/2015 8:24am
i,m into both i race an 83 cr125 and play on my 94 cr125

markit
4/12/2015 2:48pm Edited Date/Time 4/12/2015 2:49pm
Tdub13 wrote:
Really??? Can we make an OLD SCHOOL MOTO forum that doesn't have Liquid Cooled, Single Shock, Power Valved, double Disk Braked bikes please? There has been...
Go in a Ktm forum and say that, they'll all but tar and feather you. LOL new frame equates to some new form of unheard technology.
4/13/2015 4:36am
Please note I was taking the piss with the pre-74 comment as I figured it'd rule out everyone here.

My point being, that nobody should be excluded. We're all here because we don't fit in on the boards with the modern bikes.

We're already outcasts, we need to stick together.
Tdub13
4/13/2015 4:44am
Please note I was taking the piss with the pre-74 comment as I figured it'd rule out everyone here. My point being, that nobody should be...
Please note I was taking the piss with the pre-74 comment as I figured it'd rule out everyone here.

My point being, that nobody should be excluded. We're all here because we don't fit in on the boards with the modern bikes.

We're already outcasts, we need to stick together.
That's a great point. The reason I started this post wasn't to stir the pot or be a troll. I guess I was just looking for some convincing, since a lot of bikes I see on here just seem "new" to me.
4/13/2015 6:14am
Everything's relative, and I can see, and totally understand your point too.

Whilst I love the '96 CR250 builds, I see them as modern too, but those bikes will be 2 decades old this autumn too.

I'm on very few forums, but post here because I like this place.
There's a bit of drama, some amazing parts, builds, and bikes. A global community, and a dash of humour.

We are united by a love of the bikes that the majority of riders don't care for any more.

I raced a 3 hour Hare and Hounds yesterday, and was rather unimpressed with the fact that there were no bikes in the Evo class at all. If they had a super-Evo class, my '91 would get more use.
(Although I don't ride it if there's a chance of getting it muddy)

We're a niche within the niche that is dirtbike riders.

4/14/2015 6:37pm
I feel like my 95 is ancient. Then again a 2005 was my first big bike. Ive sense went "old school" in my mind by getting my mullet machine.

Perhaps pre 90's bikes should be called "vintage"
montesagold
4/14/2015 6:50pm
Honda88L wrote:
In order for our love of riding and racing old bikes at a race or on a track that us old souls can ride we have...
In order for our love of riding and racing old bikes at a race or on a track that us old souls can ride we have to open up the window to get more interest. I am willing to guess that most of us think the bike to have for Vintage, Post Vintage, whatever is the bike you wanted, or if you were lucky had, when you were a junior or senior in high school. I race an 83 CR and it is no coincidence I graduated in HS in 1983.

If the guys that are 5 or 10 years younger than me want to chime in and talk about their passion welcome aboard! You can look at the gates at any ARHMA or AMA event and see that opening up the years and or bikes allowed is a must. I too like the pre 74 bikes, I just don't think there are enough of them around or the people willing to race them around to sustain the sport and promoters willing to put on the events.

I'm just happy to have a safe track to ride and race within reason of where I live and if having bikes to 1996 race so it keeps happening no problem here. If you think that would happen if they stopped at twin shock, air cooled, pre 74, etc. you are wrong.

To the earlier post saying it's not like there are a lot of posts on here I agree completely. Why can't we all be on this really and keep the movement going? You change this to pre 74 you will have 4 posts a month....

exactly, when i'm the youngest guy at an ahrma event at 31 (including spectators) the writing is on the wall. got to spread it out to keep it alive.
Lane-O103
4/14/2015 7:52pm
For the vintage series around here I think the cut off is 1989, I would consider them modern, while they're "outdated" compared to todays standards 90's bikes aren't drastically different for todays bikes as to where a 80's bikes with drum brakes and other old goodies are vintage compared to 2016's. I mean crap alot of guys own a 90s bike or atleast rebuild them because they are really good and bring back good memories to people who grew up with them, I have a 92 YZ 250 just waiting for a tank and then some graphics then i'll clean her up, get the suspension dialed then have some fun Silly

Post a reply to: 90's bikes?

The Latest