90-94 KX250 Plastics

6/16/2016 12:30pm
I have a 91 KX250 that I'm planning to restore... I'm looking for the Plastics that Splitfire/PC ran back in the day. I'm sure there's several threads on here with info, but I haven't nailed one down. Any info would be great. Here's a pic for reference...
Thanks Guys

|
Bman_145
6/17/2016 12:48am
There were no Splitfire 91 kx250s. The PC team went to KX in 93.

For the radiator plastics, the 91 model shares only with the 90. Then it changed for 92-93. And then it changed again for 94-98. This makes it very hard to get the look youre after. You *might* get custom graphics to pull off the look, but then you will have to paint the plastic to the right color. It's hard enough to pull off a PC build with the right bike, but this just might be too much to overcome.

The easier build is to make a Factory KX 91 team bike:

6/17/2016 2:06am Edited Date/Time 6/17/2016 11:35am
Bman_145 wrote:
There were no Splitfire 91 kx250s. The PC team went to KX in 93. For the radiator plastics, the 91 model shares only with the 90...
There were no Splitfire 91 kx250s. The PC team went to KX in 93.

For the radiator plastics, the 91 model shares only with the 90. Then it changed for 92-93. And then it changed again for 94-98. This makes it very hard to get the look youre after. You *might* get custom graphics to pull off the look, but then you will have to paint the plastic to the right color. It's hard enough to pull off a PC build with the right bike, but this just might be too much to overcome.

The easier build is to make a Factory KX 91 team bike:

Thanks for the info. I have seen a couple of 91's done in the Splitfire/PC look and actually found a fender and plates on here for a 91, but it will cost me 300 to get them to the states. I want them pretty bad but I'm trying to figure out if the cost is worth the look I love.
I do love the Factory 91 bike, but that Splitfire bike is so one off that it keeps me wanting it. I hope to post as I start the journey either way.
Rovalova
6/17/2016 3:06am
All of the above is pretty much correct. Ive done a 93 PC, thats my bike in your first picture partially done, took 6 years to get the parts together and Ive seen very very limited stuff since finishing it, never seen or heard of anyone with the oem nos graphics, only a few plastics laying about and no one I know seems to have a complete set. The 94 or onwards may be easier but they are hard enough to find now too. 93 is probably the hardest to do properly as Im only guessing being the first year on green for PC they prob didnt punch out as much stuff for it as they did on later models when the copy the pros bikes fetish hit full swing. Even there own graphic kits on team bikes were subtlly different during the year.

The Shop

Bman_145
6/17/2016 11:22am
Can you post the stuff you have found? This might give us a better idea of what you're thinking of doing. Id like to see the other PC 91 builds. I just cant picture it in my head, from the gas tank issues to the rounded rear fender, I just dont see it working.

I think most of the PC bike builders guys would say something similar to this, but if you are set on that look, sell the 91 kx250 and pick the Splitfire bike you like the most, and then find a KX125 of that year and do it right. I know there were a very small number of PC 250 bikes made, but it's known as a 125/250f team.

Good luck either way
RyanLester761
6/17/2016 11:25am
I am lucky enough to have everything to build the 1993 Hotwheels bike, like yours Rovalova! I'm only commenting to brag here, Lol...

I scored the white shrouds, blue side panels and rear fender, a NOS PC pipe and silencer, a clean Works Connection skid plate, used blue and white Renthals and blue cloth pad. The graphics and seat cover are from Evo-Mx of course. The frame and swingarm are already powder coated. I will be rebuilding the engine in the near future and start a new thread... stand by. Wink

For a '91 KX250 PC replica of sorts, I agree, it would be difficult to achieve. A graphics shop can probably model them close enough to fit the 1991 and make up a seat cover perhaps... Throttle Jockey or Evo-MX.

I love those '91s. I had Tyson Vohland's '91 KX125 Supercross bike back in the day. That thing was nice.

Anyway, if you get in a bind, clintnewkirk, you might consider a '94-'98 bike. It may be cheaper in the long run to find a project bike of a different year and just restore your '91 like the picture above. Good luck! Keep us posted.

6/17/2016 11:50am
Bman_145 wrote:
Can you post the stuff you have found? This might give us a better idea of what you're thinking of doing. Id like to see the...
Can you post the stuff you have found? This might give us a better idea of what you're thinking of doing. Id like to see the other PC 91 builds. I just cant picture it in my head, from the gas tank issues to the rounded rear fender, I just dont see it working.

I think most of the PC bike builders guys would say something similar to this, but if you are set on that look, sell the 91 kx250 and pick the Splitfire bike you like the most, and then find a KX125 of that year and do it right. I know there were a very small number of PC 250 bikes made, but it's known as a 125/250f team.

Good luck either way
I'll try to dig up the few bike pics I found with the 91 done as a PC bike. Honestly that was the one which got me interested and later found Rovalova's build which appeared cleaner in the pic. The 91 does look odd with the rounded rear fender, but I figured what the heck.
The plastics were offered to me by a gentleman on here, sorry the name escapes me, Doctor46 maybe, and they are blue 91 fender and side plates. Like I said, $300 and I can have them here. I knew I'd never find NOS graphics and decided I'd work with a buddy of mine to replicate them from his shop. The issues would be white radiator shrouds unless I just wrapped green with white graphics.
I will say I have received quite the history lesson here as I would have been just starting to ride (about 8) in 1991. I'm just getting into the 80's and early 90's bikes. I forgot that PC was a Honda team then.
Thanks for all the info guys and I'll keep you in the loop if I decide to go forward with this, making it not a replica at all being its the wrong year, or if I jump to a 94 and up. Either way it will be a 250 because I'm much too big for a 125. I do plan to race my bikes.
Also, I may end up with a few projects, so if you see the posts, please any info would be great!
Thanks guys
6/17/2016 11:54am
I am lucky enough to have everything to build the 1993 Hotwheels bike, like yours Rovalova! I'm only commenting to brag here, Lol... I scored the...
I am lucky enough to have everything to build the 1993 Hotwheels bike, like yours Rovalova! I'm only commenting to brag here, Lol...

I scored the white shrouds, blue side panels and rear fender, a NOS PC pipe and silencer, a clean Works Connection skid plate, used blue and white Renthals and blue cloth pad. The graphics and seat cover are from Evo-Mx of course. The frame and swingarm are already powder coated. I will be rebuilding the engine in the near future and start a new thread... stand by. Wink

For a '91 KX250 PC replica of sorts, I agree, it would be difficult to achieve. A graphics shop can probably model them close enough to fit the 1991 and make up a seat cover perhaps... Throttle Jockey or Evo-MX.

I love those '91s. I had Tyson Vohland's '91 KX125 Supercross bike back in the day. That thing was nice.

Anyway, if you get in a bind, clintnewkirk, you might consider a '94-'98 bike. It may be cheaper in the long run to find a project bike of a different year and just restore your '91 like the picture above. Good luck! Keep us posted.

Can't wait to see your bike as it comes along. Sounds like you scored some quality stuff.
Rovalova
6/19/2016 7:35pm
I am lucky enough to have everything to build the 1993 Hotwheels bike, like yours Rovalova! I'm only commenting to brag here, Lol... I scored the...

You wont have that rear guard for long sucker, Im hunting you down Woohoo , seriously thats cool though, Id love to see another build done, want to see heaps of pics.
RyanLester761
6/20/2016 10:54am
Rovalova wrote:
You wont have that rear guard for long sucker, Im hunting you down :woohoo: , seriously thats cool though, Id love to see another build done...
You wont have that rear guard for long sucker, Im hunting you down Woohoo , seriously thats cool though, Id love to see another build done, want to see heaps of pics.
Haha I'll post a ton of pics for sure! And no chance on that rear fender sucka. Lol.

Post a reply to: 90-94 KX250 Plastics

The Latest