88 kx250

bradpr32
Edited Date/Time 4/26/2016 8:43am
I wasn't really looking for more work to to but managed to pickup a bit of a pig of a kx250 to build into a racer as a surprise for a good freind .. A quick inspection told me this was going to be a full build ! As usual it got torn to bits before I took and Pics ! Maybe too excited or maybe too many beers .. few pics of where were at now

Someone decided they needed to weld a skid plate to the frame rails rather than repair it properly so I spend some time on the lower rails and tidied the said skid plate rather than risk making a mess of someone's idea of a repair

Wheel build next .... Thinking gold excels for this one
|
sandman768
4/1/2016 8:36am
Excellent! I just made & had a skid plate welded to my 89 frame. Mine goes farther back to cover main cradle. This is actually a good mod for any older steel frame bike. If you look at some old photos of race team bikes from that era you will see some skid plates welded on this way, I have an old photo of Stanton on an 89 cr 250 with exact welded plate. I also had the engine mounts & rear cradle welds chased/ redone, the factory Kawi welds were minimal. this mod will also stiffen the chassis, I"m sure no where near as stiff as aluminum frames that are current. Nothing worse than finishing a build & after a few rides the frame starts cracking. The 88 & 89 share many parts, I have a complete good condition spare transmission set. Please continue to post progress photos..
avmechanic
4/1/2016 12:18pm
Nice rebuild on a cool bike. I love the late 80s early 90s bikes. I don't think the welded on skid plate looks too bad. Not sure how much Kawasaki did that on the factory bikes but Honda did that commonly on their factory MX bikes of the late 80s early 90s. I have seen numerous examples of Rick Johnson's, JMB, and Jeff Stantons bikes that had a welded in skid plate reinforcement of the lower cradle. I am restoring a couple of late 80s CR250s. They both have damage on the cradle but one is quite bad and poorly repaired. I am likely going to do the same welded plate. Keep us posted on the build. Love looking at good restorations.
Greg

MaxPower
4/1/2016 1:23pm
I dont know what it is about those bikes, but i really dig that body style KX. Good work
bradpr32
4/1/2016 11:37pm
A little progress today . Forks mounted , Asv clutch lever , renthal grips fitted .

The Shop

bradpr32
4/4/2016 4:24am
Some further progress today after work .. Airbox in & fuel tank polished up . to

Brody23
4/5/2016 1:55am Edited Date/Time 4/5/2016 2:10am
Hello Brad are you a Perth local too? I noticed the reference to Cully's Yamaha in Balcatta!

Did you have the original parts vapor blasted? The bike looks fantastic!

Thanks and regards, Brod.
bradpr32
4/5/2016 3:43am
Brody23 wrote:
Hello Brad are you a Perth local too? I noticed the reference to Cully's Yamaha in Balcatta! Did you have the original parts vapor blasted? The...
Hello Brad are you a Perth local too? I noticed the reference to Cully's Yamaha in Balcatta!

Did you have the original parts vapor blasted? The bike looks fantastic!

Thanks and regards, Brod.
Hey mate Yep in Perth ! Cullys are great for service so that helps my yamaha habit !! Yes the alloy parts are veypor blasted by a mate of mine
bradpr32
4/5/2016 3:45am
A little more today . Current model yz footpegs grafted to fit . And arrival of the re chromed shock shaft is good news . Just need the bump stop and I can assemble

4/5/2016 6:17am
Hey Brad, looking good! Perth local here too, think your mate would want some more vapour work? Restoring a 91 yz250, engine and carb parts will need doing when I get to sourcing everything I need. Can pay in beer!
bradpr32
4/6/2016 6:21am
reggie426 wrote:
Hey Brad, looking good! Perth local here too, think your mate would want some more vapour work? Restoring a 91 yz250, engine and carb parts will...
Hey Brad, looking good! Perth local here too, think your mate would want some more vapour work? Restoring a 91 yz250, engine and carb parts will need doing when I get to sourcing everything I need. Can pay in beer!
Hi mate let me know what you've got and need blasting . Haha he doesn't drink so I've got to give him folding !
Cheers
4/6/2016 3:52pm
Sweet, I'll get in touch when I'm ready. Have to find some parts like casing and other bits, nothing matches on this engine.

Do you refurbish your old tank or is it a replacement? If you cleaned it up, what did you use? My tank is pretty crap

Brody23
4/6/2016 6:02pm Edited Date/Time 4/6/2016 6:23pm
reggie426 wrote:
Hey Brad, looking good! Perth local here too, think your mate would want some more vapour work? Restoring a 91 yz250, engine and carb parts will...
bradpr32 wrote:
Hi mate let me know what you've got and need blasting . Haha he doesn't drink so I've got to give him folding !
Cheers
Hello Brad. I am interested in the services of your vapour blast guy too. I have a 93 KX250 that I am restoring so will have the hubs, cases, triple clamps, etc etc. Anything that can be made look as good as possible.
Did you have the frame sandblasted?
4/6/2016 9:34pm
Not sure what Brad did, he'll tell you, but I sandblasted mine with glass bead then had it and the shock Spring powder coated at a place in O'Connor, $100 came up pretty good.

bradpr32
4/6/2016 9:59pm
reggie426 wrote:
Sweet, I'll get in touch when I'm ready. Have to find some parts like casing and other bits, nothing matches on this engine. Do you refurbish...
Sweet, I'll get in touch when I'm ready. Have to find some parts like casing and other bits, nothing matches on this engine.

Do you refurbish your old tank or is it a replacement? If you cleaned it up, what did you use? My tank is pretty crap

Cleaned mine up mate . My wr500 one was worse than yours and cleaned up nicely
bradpr32
4/6/2016 10:00pm
reggie426 wrote:
bradpr32 wrote:
Cheers
Brody23 wrote:
Hello Brad. I am interested in the services of your vapour blast guy too. I have a 93 KX250 that I am restoring so will have...
Hello Brad. I am interested in the services of your vapour blast guy too. I have a 93 KX250 that I am restoring so will have the hubs, cases, triple clamps, etc etc. Anything that can be made look as good as possible.
Did you have the frame sandblasted?
Yep I do blasting & powder at work . Msg me for veypor details if that's ok
Garand1
4/8/2016 5:37pm
Wow.....Looks Awesome, I'm also in the middle of rebuilding my 88k25. Looks like your doing an awesome job. I will definitely keep checking back on this one!!
bradpr32
4/26/2016 5:19am

finally had an hour to myself to get the rear shock built .. Re chromed shaft , new seal head & bump stop. Body blasted & spring powdercoated. Cleaned up real nice

Post a reply to: 88 kx250

The Latest