84 YZ 125

Ardfarkl
Edited Date/Time 4/10/2015 8:18pm
I know that the history books say this bike was a real turd, but does anyone have one? I am looking at buying one and would like some input. Thanks!
|
BUTTONBOY
6/30/2014 10:24am

I own 2- '84 YZ 125's that I ride regularly. They don't have much power, mostly midrange..... the bottom doesn't pull great and there really is no top. I added Boyesen dual stage power reeds and one of mine is bored .060 with a wiseco piston kit. That seemed to help some on the power, but compared to a modern 125 2-stroke it stops pulling way before the modern bike does. The brakes are ok, the front dual leading shoe actually works really good and the back brakes are ok. For the time period the shock is ok, but the forks are horrible. Run 15w oil and add a set of Gold Valves if you want to be able to jump anything without bottoming out. The major downfall of the bike is the Z spokes.... If the bike you are looking at still has the factory front Z spoke rim and is not cracked it is a miracle. I replaced mine with '83 front rim. The pic is immediately after the restore. The front rim is still the Z spoke rim, which at the time had a small crack that became a big crack the more I rode it.

Overall I love my old YZ. I was 13 when this bike came out and I wanted one so bad, finally got one!
pete24
6/30/2014 11:11am
z spokes! i got a couple sets of z spokes if someone needs them, they are from disc brake bikes tho

The Shop

berniepiet
6/30/2014 3:57pm
Ardfarkl wrote:
I know that the history books say this bike was a real turd, but does anyone have one? I am looking at buying one and would...
I know that the history books say this bike was a real turd, but does anyone have one? I am looking at buying one and would like some input. Thanks!
Buttonboy is spot on.. I am cleaning out the garage and have one I am going to get rid of. Needs total resto. Can get u pics in about two weeks.
MaxPower
6/30/2014 4:40pm
They are great looking bikes. I'm sure someone can tweak that engine to make it rip
kelroy_leon
7/10/2014 9:41am
pete24 wrote:
z spokes! i got a couple sets of z spokes if someone needs them, they are from disc brake bikes tho
My boss at the shop I work at may be interested if they are still up for offer?
pete24
7/10/2014 10:03am
pete24 wrote:
My boss at the shop I work at may be interested if they are still up for offer?
pm me on the spokes
BigAl
7/10/2014 9:32pm
newmann wrote:
Z spokes!
MOTODAD422 wrote:
Z-spokes , are they french ?
Break under pressure?

Was 84 the year to run the 83 cylinder?
Madmax31
Fantasy
91st
1/24/2015 6:50am
I had a lot of yz 125s. 81,83,84,85,86,87,89. The 84 & 85 were decent in suspension and handled great, probably because they had NO power. At first I tried the mods recommended with no luck but ended up putting my 83 motor in my 84. 83 motor was awesome compared to 84 & 85.
Paul333
1/24/2015 6:54am
Beautiful bike.

I owned an 84 YZ125, it was my first bike after moving up from minis.

I loved it.

Someday I will pick one up to restore.

1/24/2015 8:02am
I also owned quite a few YZ125's from back in the era. The 83 K was my favorite bike of all time. In fact, i am rebuilding one now as a Ron Lechien tribute bike. Go here for a look at some details of the K including pics, parts diagrams and my build. http://yz125k.weebly.com/
If you find a good L then get it... below is the wrench report for bringing it to life. The K wrench report is on my link above. I have a Jemco pipe, Eric Gorr cylinder, 36mm upgrade carb, PVL ignition from Newmann, and the full Race Tech suspension upgrade which i have included on the site and based on what people have used on this forum. You can also get new radiators from GPI and Winner, silicon hose kits etc.. These bikes came out at 88kg so their light and great fun if you get them working right. Mine is still in the build but getting closer..
Below is the wrench report and a pic of where i am at with the 83 Lechien tribute model.

1/24/2015 9:05am
Have a set of complete IT200 Z spokes wheels if anyone wants.
Nice and straight with hubs, ships from Montreal.
No highjack, just helping if they fit.
Someone posted some cross reference no's at one time.
WIESEL
4/7/2015 8:57pm
The OW model is very interesting... Any good detailed articles?
berniepiet
4/7/2015 10:49pm

Have this one for sale. Very original, & un molested. Exhaust & rims in excellent shape. . Formerly owned by Chad Reed.

Seriously, it is for sale. Pm if you are interested. Located near Rockford, IL
4/8/2015 5:32am
I also owned quite a few YZ125's from back in the era. The 83 K was my favorite bike of all time. In fact, i am...
I also owned quite a few YZ125's from back in the era. The 83 K was my favorite bike of all time. In fact, i am rebuilding one now as a Ron Lechien tribute bike. Go here for a look at some details of the K including pics, parts diagrams and my build. http://yz125k.weebly.com/
If you find a good L then get it... below is the wrench report for bringing it to life. The K wrench report is on my link above. I have a Jemco pipe, Eric Gorr cylinder, 36mm upgrade carb, PVL ignition from Newmann, and the full Race Tech suspension upgrade which i have included on the site and based on what people have used on this forum. You can also get new radiators from GPI and Winner, silicon hose kits etc.. These bikes came out at 88kg so their light and great fun if you get them working right. Mine is still in the build but getting closer..
Below is the wrench report and a pic of where i am at with the 83 Lechien tribute model.

I have a white YZ250K any tips on where I can get the White radiator shrouds?
Been looking everywhere...
Thanks
4/8/2015 7:23am
Gene, if you email Tom Claerhout
Sales - DC Plastics USA
www.dcvmx.com

They will custom make you the 83 YZ250K shrouds in white at no extra cost. It only takes them a few extra days to put the order together.
mb60
4/8/2015 8:54am
berniepiet wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/04/07/86546/s1200_image.jpg[/img] Have this one for sale. Very original, & un molested. Exhaust & rims in excellent shape. . Formerly owned by Chad Reed. Seriously, it is...

Have this one for sale. Very original, & un molested. Exhaust & rims in excellent shape. . Formerly owned by Chad Reed.

Seriously, it is for sale. Pm if you are interested. Located near Rockford, IL
What are you looking for on the 84 yz 125 ?
WIESEL
4/10/2015 8:18pm
I also owned quite a few YZ125's from back in the era. The 83 K was my favorite bike of all time. In fact, i am...

What foot pegs are you running and how do you like the jemco?
I finally found one a couple of days ago and it in pretty good shape.

Post a reply to: 84 YZ 125

The Latest