83 kx125 build

Slosh 112
5/7/2014 4:33am Edited Date/Time 5/7/2014 4:46am
Ive always found the 82 & 83 125's and the 82 - 84 250's a bit quirky because of the rear guard with the side panels incorporated into it, i can only imagine what was said when the 1982 spy photos surfaced… I like the colour of the powder coating on the triples, Its understated could be a nice touch in the end. The update to the disc on the front will be interesting to see when the bike is complete. Could you show some pictures of the gussets that you made for the frame?
Kidkawie
5/7/2014 5:48am
Can't wait to see that thing! Awesome!
MXM
5/7/2014 6:44am Edited Date/Time 5/7/2014 6:46am
This was my first 125. I have been looking for one to restore for years now with no luck. I remember it was real fast but did not turn well at all, in fact my riding style that I still use today came from racing this bike; Go in real hot, slam on the brakes and get the rear end to slide around, then when you are upright and pointing in a straight line pin it! What great memories. If you ever want to sell it let me know. Here is me summer of 83 styling for the camera.
kevkx125
5/7/2014 11:01am
MXM I have a 83 in really rough shape. Would like to restore but might be willing to let it go.

The Shop

JordanB
5/7/2014 11:45pm
Good work. One of my favorite bikes.
Kidkawie
5/8/2014 6:30am
There was a seller on Ebay unloading a bunch of NOS 82 parts. It seemed like it was a complete bike being parted out but everything was brand new. Wish I knew the back story to that.
jammin76tx
5/10/2014 9:14pm
Sweet forks, 49mm Showas off a '98 RM, right? Custom made triple clamps or modified RM clamps?
MaxPower
6/12/2014 4:12pm
My build has been going slow with work. Not complaint here. I'm working .
When I had stripped everything from the KX the frame looked fragile. I swear a xr100 frame looked stronger. So I made some custom gussets . I could have kept going but I had to stop somewhere.
These are pics of the frame before I had it powder coated. These pics should have been with the first post to be in order but I just found where I had hosted them.
I didn't even know Kawi Kid Jay and he had offered to weld the gussets on for me. I ended up working a deal with a welder for carpentry work and I didn't have to bother him. But I thought that was very generous that he was going to help someone he never met.

The swing arm area of the frame was fragile looking. I took some time making custom gussets and had them welded

This was under the tank

The bottom of the frame started out as small corner bracing and it turned into a glide plate
It's not Rob Bouchers skid plate. But coming from me, I'm impressed.

MaxPower
6/12/2014 4:51pm
I just finished making a vented numberplate. I took more time with this stupid plate than any other part of the bike.
I would get nearly finished and take it apart and start over again. I don't know what my problem was. It's not like it was something difficult.

I have had fun with restoring it. I just want to ride some now the warm weather is here.
Mixon848
2/6/2016 4:32pm
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but original poster said you purchased a 1984 Kawasaki KX250 Shock. What did you do with it as far as reworking it? Was it revalved or just rebuilt. I ask because I got a 1984 Kawasaki KX125 today and the rear shock is a pogo stick. I mean no damping, just spring bounce. Bouncy, bouncy, boing, boing.

Hope to hear your solution. Thank you in advance.

My 1984 Kawasaki KX125:
https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/25684/photos/89478/s1600_1984_Kawasa…
MaxPower
2/13/2016 6:15am Edited Date/Time 2/13/2016 6:23am
Sorry I wasn't clear about the 84 KX 250 shock. I bought a beat up 84 kx250 shock and robbed the spring from it. We didn't know it back in the day but bikes came way under sprung. We were also 40 lbs lighter in 1983.
My shock had low hours but still had light damping after rebuilding. I ended up buying a Noleen shock. As far as complete shocks go it's a bargain but to me the construction looks a good as any or better. Early single shocks weren't hardened and the body wore out quickly. I went for the complete shock because it's my only bike and I wanted a good handling bike to keep me from hitting the ground. I was looking for a 84 when I found my bike. The 84 KX is my favorite production bike ever
If you are going to gusset your frame it will be different on the 84. The frames are totally different . I imagine the swing arm pivot is still feeble. Take pics before you remove everything from the frame so you don't weld anything where it interferes with the rest of the bike. When you have the bare frame sitting there you won't believe how frail it looks. If I were to do it again I'd add more strength in the steering head area.
Mixon848
2/13/2016 7:05am
MaxPower wrote:
Sorry I wasn't clear about the 84 KX 250 shock. I bought a beat up 84 kx250 shock and robbed the spring from it. We didn't...
Sorry I wasn't clear about the 84 KX 250 shock. I bought a beat up 84 kx250 shock and robbed the spring from it. We didn't know it back in the day but bikes came way under sprung. We were also 40 lbs lighter in 1983.
My shock had low hours but still had light damping after rebuilding. I ended up buying a Noleen shock. As far as complete shocks go it's a bargain but to me the construction looks a good as any or better. Early single shocks weren't hardened and the body wore out quickly. I went for the complete shock because it's my only bike and I wanted a good handling bike to keep me from hitting the ground. I was looking for a 84 when I found my bike. The 84 KX is my favorite production bike ever
If you are going to gusset your frame it will be different on the 84. The frames are totally different . I imagine the swing arm pivot is still feeble. Take pics before you remove everything from the frame so you don't weld anything where it interferes with the rest of the bike. When you have the bare frame sitting there you won't believe how frail it looks. If I were to do it again I'd add more strength in the steering head area.
Thank you so very much for responding. I truly appreciate that.

Come to find out the 17 year old kid that I purchased my 1984 Kawasaki KX125 from put a Suzuki RM125 shock on the bike (not sure which year), so I had actually just emailed Clark Jones about the cost of building a shock just yesterday.

I "may" also obtain a 1984 Kawasaki KX250 either tomorrow or Monday, and I would of course like to have them both set up the same way, so if I got Mr. Jones to build me a shock for my 125 then I would also have him build a matching set up for the 250 "if" I grab it within the next 2 days.

I luckily don't think that I will need any Frame Gusseting. The frame is in perfect condition, no cracks, no sagging foot pegs. If you see from the photo, there isn't even very much stock frame paint worn off. I obtained the bike from a 17 year old kid that I guess didn't ride it hard at all, and he got it from an Old Lady, and it had been her bike since new. It was on the STOCK PISTON, Lol. My riding style these days is pretty much avoid anything big, and find the smoothest line, I guess people would call it smooth or fluid, so I don't do much damage or put much stress on bikes.

Once again, thank you so very much for the reply. It is so greatly appreciated. Your bike is absolutely amazing. Great build.
MaxPower
2/13/2016 4:39pm
You flatter me. There are many many bikes that are built by gifted men much more finished than mine. I even felt funny posting about mine after I see what Newmann, YZWeldon,MikeP,Boucher,YZVet... ((and a hundred more members) have done with their bikes. But I thank you. I'll never turn down a compliment.
You may want to call Clark. I find it easy to get ahold of him on the phone. Email is more of a delay. Shocks are 895.00 plus shipping. They come with a Ohlins Spring too. And he knows how to fit the hose and reservoir, it's a little cramped on the UniTrax It's easy to spend 400 making a old shock work. For another 500 you get a modern shock with compression and rebound adjustments. And it's as good as anything made 30 years after
Starting with a fresh frame is even better. Check the thickness of the metal that the swing arm bolts into. I'll bets it's really thin on the 84. If you strengthen that area now you will always have strait foot pegs..
Once they become all fatigued you will always be chasing cracks.
And get that 250
Mixon848
2/13/2016 6:56pm
I think you did a great job. And I think that it is something that is obtainable by normal men. Some builds are done with more money then I will be using to pay for my daughter's college (I have a ways to go as she is only 7), So I really like what you did.

I am laid off right now, and have 2 projects right now, and also want to grab this 1984 KX250 so I am putting my Mercedes Benz up for sale to get the bikes completed the way that I want.

I will pick up the phone and call Clark on Tuesday. A pretty good Suspension Company here on the West Coast quoted me $399.95 to completely rebuild and revalve a stock 1984 KX125 shock (when I thought I had the stock shock), so yes sir $895 is not bad for a completely custom build shock.

I am going to go in the garage right now and take a look at the metal that the swing arm bolts onto.

Once again great build, and thank you for the replies, as they are very helpful.
Mixon848
2/15/2016 7:11pm
Thank you so much for sending me Clark Jones way. I had worked with Clark in 1992, 1993 and 1994 and then I went on to others for work. He gave me a quote today that was amazing. I will be able to get 3 shocks done at the price he quoted me, over the inflated price another suspension shop quoted me just to revalve 1 shock.

Post a reply to: 83 kx125 build

The Latest