83 RM250 vs 84 RM250 ? Pipe you out there....

bultokid
Edited Date/Time 1/22/2012 6:46pm
Anyone know why AHRMA allows the '83 RM but not the '84 ? from what I can tell '84 was still drum brake and non-power valve. How does the '83 and '84 compare ? mucho thanks
|
12/24/2007 4:52am
1984 RM 250 is AHRMA legal in the Ultima 250 class and any age class (plus 40, 50, 60 ect....)
bultokid
12/24/2007 7:24am
Thanks, looking at AHRMA 2007 Rulebook for Post-Vintage Ultima class has RM250 '82-'83 allowed, for life of me couldn't figure why the '84 excluded as it meets the guidelines for that class to best of my knowledge. If I recall wasn't the hot set-up on the '83 to run a '82 head ? Don't remember much on the '84 as Uncle Sam had me by then. Thanks to all and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays-------Rhett
andymoto
12/25/2007 10:09am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:04pm
[quote="bultokid":187kpiy7]Thanks, looking at AHRMA 2007 Rulebook for Post-Vintage Ultima class has RM250 '82-'83 allowed, for life of me couldn't figure why the '84 excluded as it meets the guidelines for that class to best of my knowledge. If I recall wasn't the hot set-up on the '83 to run a '82 head ? Don't remember much on the '84 as Uncle Sam had me by then. Thanks to all and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays-------Rhett[/quote:187kpiy7]

That's funny, my buddy rides an '84 YZ250 in those "Post Vintage" "Ultima" whatever you want to call'em races. ???

Probably Bugs don't want "newer" year bikes; his vision of the golden days of moto.....Probably because the fork tubes are 2mm bigger than the 83's....just joshin'....the club don't make no rhyme, nor reason sometimes.
I remember when in '89, I bought a PRISTINE '73 Bultaco 250 Pursang; down to the fiberglass fenders, everything was just so pristine... I go to race this bike; hadn't been ridden in so many years; cleaned out the float bowl; started right up..Time to go racin. I'm kinda stoked.
I go to Sand Hill Ranch(CAL), they have a tech inspect; and the Bul had the stock Betors front/rear and the shock mounts were the same, totally stock. Old Bugs say I got too much suspension travel....I'm scratching my head and telling him how could something totally stock have "too much" suspension travel??? While I'm watching other bikes of my year having forward mounts on the swingarms I get pissed and ask what's the difference? Of course, he tried to tell me "theoretically" they had the same rear wheel travel(???); figured some buds of his. I go back and make some shims and he goes ok.....
I still win motos even using that darn Bul's shifter as a brake. Had a good time otherwise. No thanks to those guys....

Maybe because they painted the entire motor blue on those '84's....heck, who knows...It's AHRMA; that's all you gotta know.
And as much as I like the older bikes and having a club to join and race; if the darn rules say no disc brakes, but watercooled and fully suspended......what the F*** is such a big deal from '83 to '84? It may have a "little" more travel, but I believe they still used the "Full-Floater" tech....like my buddy's '84 YZ; same suspension as the '83 along with different/slimmer bodywork that make's it a plus....I don't get their reason's sometime...most all the time.

Andy Moto

The Shop

andymoto
12/25/2007 11:26am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:04pm
[quote="bultokid":26k42itk]Thanks, looking at AHRMA 2007 Rulebook for Post-Vintage Ultima class has RM250 '82-'83 allowed, for life of me couldn't figure why the '84 excluded as it meets the guidelines for that class to best of my knowledge. If I recall wasn't the hot set-up on the '83 to run a '82 head ? Don't remember much on the '84 as Uncle Sam had me by then. Thanks to all and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays-------Rhett[/quote:26k42itk]

My bud just called to wish me Merry Christmas...Asked him if an '84RM250 was "Ultima" legal; he says as long as it has front/rear drums, it is LEGAL. He's in thick with those Post Vintage and AHRMA guys, so he knows. As long as the production bike came with drums both f/r, everything else is a mute point.

FYI.

Andy Moto.
CamP
12/25/2007 11:52am
The 84 RM250 was a great bike with one exception, the carb.
Bill163
12/25/2007 12:54pm
Andymoto,Don't let Dick Mann,Jeff Smith or any other AHRMA controlling regulars get you down on vintage one day they will be gone and for the better.They run ahrma like they own it and they are responsible for bankrupting it. Dick Mann is one hell of a grouch if you don't agree with him he's just concerned with his era and legacy.Believe me after 18 yrs of dealing with them it wears on you but Im in for the long haul.
There are other clubs too like the AVDRA.com
andymoto
12/25/2007 5:07pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:04pm
[quote="Bill163":1fqx72hf]Andymoto,Don't let Dick Mann,Jeff Smith or any other AHRMA controlling regulars get you down on vintage one day they will be gone and for the better.They run ahrma like they own it and they are responsible for bankrupting it. Dick Mann is one hell of a grouch if you don't agree with him he's just concerned with his era and legacy.Believe me after 18 yrs of dealing with them it wears on you but Im in for the long haul.
There are other clubs too like the AVDRA.com[/quote:1fqx72hf]

That was my impression after that first experience in '89. Naw, I'm a lifer for vintage and PV, more so since Plymouth race is for sure. Yeah, how could you mess up and bankrupt an association of basically old time racers is beyond me; heck Mann and Smith had legendary riding careers and now in a way there tarnished....by the way they've been running AHRMA alright...BS, bankruptcy and confusion amass....and that's what legends are made of....

Keeping those legendary bikes alive, making some great tracks(don't let Mann lay out a track) and just having plain fun for us riders and former riders that stay in touch with the sport; we got sooo much wealth as far as "bench racing" stories and history. And Dick, Jeff and the bunch aren't the only wealth or legends left....Go to a V/PV National and you can see many of the "real legends" of the sport.

Mann and Smith aren't the only legends left......prima dona's they are not. I'd trade one Brad Lackey or Jammin' Jimmy Weinert for both of them. Even my best bud, who keeps me in touch with the sport could run AHRMA waay better and I'm sure you could as well.

How can you mess up the best periods in motorcycle history???

I may be stupid, an idiot at times, but how do you mess up a potentially good thing?

I'm a dirt biker for life, whether racing, riding or spectating...Mann/Smith and those in the hiearchy can't "bankrupt" my great memories...

AndyMoto
12/25/2007 9:03pm
I would have to believe the reason AHRMA is near bankrupt is the cost of legal defense from the Ianucci fiasco.
mxrose3
Fantasy
1046th
1/3/2008 8:09pm
84 RM's and YZ's are allowed.
84 KX's and CR's are NOT because they came with disc brakes.
As a matter of fact, no KX past 81 is allowed. 82' KX's came with a front disc.
1/4/2008 4:48pm
Weren't the 81-83 RM125 -250's actually better suspended than the 84's due to royalty disputes with the original Full- Floater design? I had an 83 125D and it was one of the best handling bikes I've owned.
mxrose3
Fantasy
1046th
1/5/2008 8:08am
84' and 85' has the same basic Full floater rear suspension.
They didn't change it until 86' when they went to a 'Honda-like' suspension.
The reason I heard was because it became expensive to produce the full floater.

Post a reply to: 83 RM250 vs 84 RM250 ? Pipe you out there....

The Latest