83 CR250 about ready

Mike P.
Edited Date/Time 6/22/2015 7:31pm
I'm finishing up on my 83 and headed to the track to do some jetting and give suspension & aluminum clutch cover a trashing. If all works out this will be my AHRMA race bike!

|

The Shop

MaxPower
4/25/2015 5:06pm
You do vintage racing right Mike P.
Is the pipe a Pro Form?
Mike P.
4/25/2015 7:39pm Edited Date/Time 1/3/2016 8:12am
Kevin,

I have done vintage racing in the past, however do to my work schedule i have not been very consistent with it. Last time I raced was 2012 (finished 2nd nationally with AHRMA in GP 125), however prior to 2012 I hadn't raced since 2006 (I raced a 78 CR250 that year). i rode today after a 3 year layoff and man was i rusty and the bike while looking the part does need some adjustments. The motor ran awesome! I didn't build this motor but the power is unbelieveable. I need to make some minor tweaks with the brakes (i had the front arched and its way to sensitive) and the feel of the rear is not to my liking. This was my first ride on a track in 3 years. I had spent time on this track years ago but they have changed it significantly so I'll just need to spend a little more time with the bike and track to get myself there. Here's a photo of the bike at the track before I trashed it. Mike

MaxPower
4/25/2015 9:40pm
that pipe looks effin cool.
Are you saying you havent been on this track in 3 years or a track in 3 years?
If you have been off for 3 years I promise you wont be the only rusty one out there. I dont want to say how long I have been off.
Is that a race tech shock? Dont those old Hondas have some crazy linkage designs that require shock springs that are super stiff just to be normal? I couldnt believe the spring my friend was using on his 480. At some point you have to make yourself a screen front number plate to finish the Works look. Probably best to get the suspension dialed first
Mike P.
4/26/2015 6:20am Edited Date/Time 1/3/2016 8:17am
The shock is stock but it was built by Race Tech as were the forks. I had Race Tech build me a shock for my 83 480 as the shock on the 480 while similar to the shock on the 83 250 had several issues (mostly with the shock oil breaking down). So it was cheaper to just replace the shock on the 480. i am not sure why the 250 shock did not suffer the same fate…weird. I have not been on a dirt bike or a track in over 3 three years. When I took that 6 year layoff from 2006 - 2012 i had rode at least 3 times at a friends farm (not a track, it was more or less a field). But when I came back in 2012 I rode a 1980 YZ125 with full Race Tech suspension, but dailing in the 125 is way easier than a 250 (you don't have power issue). So this 250 it going to take a track day or two to get figured out.

Yesteday when I rode the track it was really soft and loamy and the first thing I noticed was my tire pressue was way to high as the bike makes huge power and it was violent (almost got away from me literally). Front brake was way to sensitive and the rear did not have enough feel. Those are just a couple of the things I noticed, but I am also not in rider shape yet so that is going to take a couple rides as the arm pump kicked my butt. 3 years ago I literally got on my 125 for the first time and raced it with only a few jetting issues to work out, but this 250 and going to require a bit more dailing and throttle control.
450exc115
4/27/2015 3:42am
How is the clutch lever pull. My 81 is a beast and that is with a new cable and lever. The 81-82 CRs are great bikes and yours looks great.
Mike P.
4/27/2015 12:21pm
I use a MSR on the fly clutch adjustment but the clutch pull itself is pretty easy for a vintage bike. I do use a Moose Racing EZ clutch on my 78 CR250, which makes the clutch pull feel like an 80cc clutch (I highly recommend this).
hellion
4/27/2015 5:00pm
I hate to say anything negative here because that bike looks fantastic! But, for me, those handlebars don't fit the era. If you want oversize bars maybe Renthal Twinwalls would fit the part better.
Mike P.
4/27/2015 6:11pm
I actually agree with you on those bars. I have a set of the standard Renthal fat bars on my 76 Elsinore, so I'll likely ditch these at some point for a regular pair of Renthal fat bars with a crossbar. But in truth, I really wasn't going for a period look as my main goal was safety first (i.e. fat pegs, the latest suspension, fat bars, etc...but you are right). Mike
MaxPower
4/28/2015 9:03pm
I have Pro Tapers with no cross bar also. I am not a fan of the look myself but the biggest thing I don't like is what to do with the top of the number plate. Cutting it off gives the best look but I'm a little afraid of the brake line getting caught behind the number plate.
Redrcr34
4/29/2015 6:28pm
Wow, I love it. That's the year I would like to restore. Love the swingarm. Is it made by the guy that does the coke bottle swingarm? I think kyle landrum?
ledger
4/29/2015 8:39pm
Thumbs up on a job well done. Great looking bike.
barkhard696
4/30/2015 9:24am
>I think kyle landrum?

Karl Landrus. KLP Racing, both on the internet and FB.
Mike P.
4/30/2015 1:46pm
I took Hellion's advice on the bars and switched to a set of standard Renthal Twinwall bars as they do look more period correct. The Renthal's I had on the bike were extremely wide and tall (made for a larger rider in my opinion) so I after I rode the bike last week at the track, I had a bar change in the back of my mind so thanks Hellion for giving my the nudge to make the switch. I will not use standard bars, only fat bars because should I fall in a race I don't want to be spending time kicking bars back into shape. I haven't rode the bike on the track yet, just around the house, but it feels a lot better with these bars as it seems like I have more control so we'll see how it goes at the track this weekend hopefully. I also took the pipe I had in the last set of photos off and put another one on (same pipe, but the last pipe was new and I did not want to trash it). This pipe has been well used to the point I had to take a brass wire wheel to it, but functionally, it works fine).

5/1/2015 11:34am Edited Date/Time 5/1/2015 12:01pm
Wow Mike your bike looks Awesome ! you did a really great job on it, I love the swing arm and pipe, what kind of pipe is that ?
The 83 CR 250 is such a cool fun bike to ride and race, I had one new in 83 and now have another one for vintage racing, here's a picture of mine after I restored it a few years ago.
I only raced mine twice in 2012, and then lost my job and insurance, and have not been able to race since then, I hope someday soon I can get a good job again with insurance and get back to racing vintage again as it is a lot of fun.

Like Max Power said you should make a vented Factory style front number plate, I made one for mine, using a old Preston Petty vented number plate, here's a picture of it.

Here's what the original Works plates looked like, I wanted to try to find that same kind of mesh they used in aluminum, or plastic, but could not, I found a steel mesh that was similar, but I decided to use the white plastic PP vented plate like I did back on my original 83.

You can see more about my 83 restore here >> http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Old-School-Moto,22/My-30-year-reunion-wit…

Mike P.
5/1/2015 5:27pm
Donny O'show,

Nice and I love the Bailey theme. And yeah you guys are really putting it too me on that number plate so I'll see what i can come up with now that I have the correct style of bars on the bike. I arrived in NC for my first second ride and first race/AHRMA national in 3 years and came up a day early for practice. There was too much rain to practice so I walked the track and then decided to check the bikes for jetting as it was a bit cooler down here and the 83 ran awesome. I then jumped on my modern bike (98 RM265) and it ran sweet too, however when putting it back in the trailer I ran head first into the trailer (don't ask me what I was thinking), but it resulted in blood, some Alev and a neck brace, so unless by some miracle my neck is better in the morning (I have it resting on ice), I'll likely be a spectator tomorrow which sucks. This is one time I really shouldn't have used my head. Mike
Mike P.
5/1/2015 5:35pm
Almost forgot, the pipe is Vintage Iron. Rick has made a couple of pipes for me.
450exc115
5/2/2015 11:53am
Try online metals for expanded aluminum. I made mine with home depot expanded steel using a dc plastics seconds off eBay. The color match isn't right but mine is built for racing so looks are lower on the list. I like donnie o's setup and will look for a similar front plate to start with. Since mine is a 81 it needs as much help as it can get for cooling. LOL
MaxPower
5/2/2015 9:00pm Edited Date/Time 5/2/2015 9:13pm
Wow Mike your bike looks Awesome ! you did a really great job on it, I love the swing arm and pipe, what kind of pipe...
Wow Mike your bike looks Awesome ! you did a really great job on it, I love the swing arm and pipe, what kind of pipe is that ?
The 83 CR 250 is such a cool fun bike to ride and race, I had one new in 83 and now have another one for vintage racing, here's a picture of mine after I restored it a few years ago.
I only raced mine twice in 2012, and then lost my job and insurance, and have not been able to race since then, I hope someday soon I can get a good job again with insurance and get back to racing vintage again as it is a lot of fun.

Like Max Power said you should make a vented Factory style front number plate, I made one for mine, using a old Preston Petty vented number plate, here's a picture of it.

Here's what the original Works plates looked like, I wanted to try to find that same kind of mesh they used in aluminum, or plastic, but could not, I found a steel mesh that was similar, but I decided to use the white plastic PP vented plate like I did back on my original 83.

You can see more about my 83 restore here >> http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Old-School-Moto,22/My-30-year-reunion-wit…

I spent more time on making my vented plate than any other single thing on my bike. I found a very similar mesh on a pizza screen. Dont ask me what pizza makers use a pizza screen for. All i know is it came out as good as i expected for me. If you have an interest ill try to find the link. It cost maybe 5 or 6 dollars
Right now I'm working hard as i can at my new job and keeping my mouth shut. I need to accumulate a certain gross amount of wages to lock down insurance for 2016. Like yourself Donny, no coverage no riding. I cant believe i used to race all the time not giving medical insurance a second thought.
Both your Hondas could have been on a Pro Gate in 83 they are so ready.
Mike P.
5/3/2015 3:01pm
Kevin,

When you get a chance please send me a picture of the one you made. Thanks, Mike
Mike P.
5/4/2015 8:39pm
Hey Roadrider,

Great meeting you as well and I'm really pissed i couldn't ride. My neck is doing better but I'm going to wait a couple of weeks before I try and ride. That track was really 125 friendly (not too many long straights to open a 250 or open bike up) but it would have been fun just the same. Hope to see ya at some of the other events. Mike
MaxPower
5/5/2015 4:53pm Edited Date/Time 5/5/2015 4:56pm
It's a little difficult to see because of the black background . I even lightened the picture a little . I used Nightmare Racings Works SR 250 he has to base it on. I cut the numbers from a container that had some kind of waterproofing stuff I found on the job site. I could have used a spackle bucket but this materal was a little thicker. I have since straitened out the crooked 6 digit . ( crooked numbers are a pet peeve of mine)
The 83 KX was so cool with a vented plate stock. If it was still in decent condition I would have had no problem running that. I was a little surprised with how great Kawi restyled the 84 bike that they switched it.
All of this isn't going to matter after a lap of morning practice on race day with mud caked all over the bike. But we all know our bikes mean a lot more than something to ride
And I was wrong about the mesh I used. The stuff I got was close to the Kawasaki race bikes, but is clearly different than the kind on DBs bike. But I do know it's out there, I had seen it when I was looking for mine
Mike P.
6/6/2015 12:13pm
After Max Power & Donny O'Show got on me (just kidding), I started looking into a vented number plate and everywhere I looked I could not find quite what I wanted, so I decided to try and make my own. I started with a 24x24 sheet of plastic (similar to ABS) and went from there. Below is how far I have gotten to date as I am awaiting the diamond mesh screen to arrive. Once it get's here I measure and cut then sand the plate to even the shape out a bit with super find sand paper & paint it and that will be that. More to come, Mike

Mike P.
6/20/2015 2:02pm
Been working on the number plate again now that I have a new Dremel tool (the old one died). Anyway, I ended up making two other plate as the first one in the my last forum was just too big. Here's the latest one. I still have to sand it a bit then paint it and fit the mesh. Mike

mark_swart
6/22/2015 5:50pm
I'm just curious... what's that left side kicker like?!?! I can't even stand pushing a bike from the 'wrong' side, I can't imagine starting it on the left!

Post a reply to: 83 CR250 about ready

The Latest