79 cr250 moto x fox build

chopperninja
Months back I had the opportunity to purchase a beautiful 79. It was a frame up restoration and was looking the way of a moto x fox bike. But other then some decals and a set of fox airs it was a mostly stock bike. Since the purchase I have been scowering the web and eBay trying to find parts and info on these bikes. A lot of info was found on here through old topics and so far I have found things very helpful...although the search function isn't all that user friendly.

Anyways I'm starting to make progress on the build. Here's a list of Parts that I have accumulated.

Fox Factory Forx. Working on making a stem and axle. The stock CR stem won't work because the lower tree hole is much larger in diameter...must have been run on a different bike.

A set of moto x fox bars...these are in rough shape and I will repaint and try to save the original sticker

NOS moto x fox seat cover

Fox Factory swingarm...i had to purchase an entire bike to get this but at a very fair price. I will swap the swingarm and then sell that bike. Shouldn't lose to much.

Also I am currently working on the fox motor mounts and chain guide.

Obviously the dg pipe and silencer need to go. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a correct pipe?

Any other suggestions are welcome as well.

|
chopperninja
11/8/2016 6:28pm
Today I got to work more on the Fox Chain guide. Both plates are completely drilled to spec and the triangle area is ready to be cut out. I will get to that tomorrow and work on the spacers. I also began to bend the motor mount. I put the piece in the vise and smacked it once with a dead blow. It snapped right in half. I assume the aluminum is shitty cast. Tomorrow I will try again and add hear first. Any of you guys have any other ideas for bending 1/4in aluminum?

chopperninja
11/9/2016 2:13pm
Today I was able to basically finish the fox chain guide. I cut the triangle out of the plates with a jig saw then filed and sanded. I fit it up and it's dead on. I will now need to get more aluminum to make a shock guard. Also I tried a second time at bending another motor mount and again in snapped in half. I will look into a different type of aluminum alloy to do job. If not I can always purchase a set from stevie d. I'm going to be purchasing the chain roller lowering piece that he makes as well as a slotted brake stay linkage to complete the rear.

The Shop

chopperninja
11/10/2016 5:14pm Edited Date/Time 11/10/2016 5:15pm
Got some new material today. Made sure it is bendable. I have enough to make both head stays and a shock guard. Probably will have a little left over just in case I mess 1 up...wishful thinking. When I got home I decided to attack the shock guard. There were a few different designs that I found when searching for fox factory swingarms. I ended up liking 1 thay i saw that ran directly in with the shock shaft. It's a very clean look although my wife told me it resembles man parts...i had to agree.haha anyways I ended up making a cardboard template and transferred it to some 1/4in aluminum. Cut it out with a jigsaw. Took a few files to her then some sand paper. Oh then finally the drilling. Finished it off with a small bend at the top...just in case it gets to close to the shock.

AHRMA361
Fantasy
232nd
11/10/2016 8:29pm Edited Date/Time 11/10/2016 8:38pm
Nice work! Still looking for an original arm for mine. Are you doing engine mounts in alum also?

chopperninja
11/11/2016 3:58pm
AHRMA361 wrote:
Nice work! Still looking for an original arm for mine. Are you doing engine mounts in alum also? [URL=http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/captsizzle/media/79CR250_zps907a03c1.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y381/captsizzle/79CR250_zps907a03c1.jpg[/IMG][/URL] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/11/10/159627/s1200_79_cr250R_Fox.jpg[/img]
Nice work! Still looking for an original arm for mine. Are you doing engine mounts in alum also?

Very nice start AHRMA. I'm not a huge fan of the all red motor. For me it's just red over load like someone got out of control with the paint gun...but I don't mind it so much with that fresh black pipe to brake things up. Is that a stock pipe? Yes finding the swingarm was the hardest part. I found 2 others but the price on those was just as much as the complete bike I purchased so all in all it wasn't s bad score.

Today I worked on the Fox Motor mounts. I had already cut them both out then when I went to bed the smaller 1 it instantly broke. That particular alloy won't bend. I purchased the correct aluminum yesterday for the shock guard and to remake the motor mounts. After looking atbyhe Fox plans again. I realized that the larger mount only needed an 1/8 in offset while the smaller piece that I broke requires about a 1/2 offset. An 1/8 in isn't very much and since I already had that piece cut I decided screw the 2 bends I will just use an 1/8in spacer instead. I got the larger 1 completed but didn't mess with the smaller 1 yet.

chopperninja
11/11/2016 4:03pm
Also the previous owner painted all of the motor mounts including the rear 1 that the swing arm pivot bolt goes through gold. I kinda dig it. I'm considering anodizing these mounts gold as well to match the sun rims and the moto x fox bars.

GIwasB4
11/12/2016 3:55pm
AHRMA361 wrote:
Nice work! Still looking for an original arm for mine. Are you doing engine mounts in alum also? [URL=http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/captsizzle/media/79CR250_zps907a03c1.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y381/captsizzle/79CR250_zps907a03c1.jpg[/IMG][/URL] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/11/10/159627/s1200_79_cr250R_Fox.jpg[/img]

Nice CR. I just sent you a PM. I have your FF arm if your serious
chopperninja
11/12/2016 4:24pm
Small motor mount complete. I need to get some larger bolts now to fit the thicker aluminum mounts.

AHRMA361
Fantasy
232nd
11/16/2016 1:45pm Edited Date/Time 11/16/2016 1:56pm
chopperninja - Yes. That is the stock pipe. I do like the look of the black lower and natural upper on your engine.

Gary - I returned your email. Thanks.

Your bike is looking sweet chopperninja. Here is what I had to start with. Wasn't much. Took a few other bikes and parts to finish mine.

GIwasB4
11/29/2016 2:54pm Edited Date/Time 11/30/2016 3:00pm
AHRMA361 wrote:
chopperninja - Yes. That is the stock pipe. I do like the look of the black lower and natural upper on your engine. Gary - I...
chopperninja - Yes. That is the stock pipe. I do like the look of the black lower and natural upper on your engine.

Gary - I returned your email. Thanks.

Your bike is looking sweet chopperninja. Here is what I had to start with. Wasn't much. Took a few other bikes and parts to finish mine.

SOLD

fookyoo
11/30/2016 9:39am
As posted on 79 cr swingarm post
Make Sure You Check CLEARANCES!
on chain roller
chain
brake arm
upper shock mounts
on full suspension compress!
chuckdavies
12/1/2016 10:17am
Months back I had the opportunity to purchase a beautiful 79. It was a frame up restoration and was looking the way of a moto x...
Months back I had the opportunity to purchase a beautiful 79. It was a frame up restoration and was looking the way of a moto x fox bike. But other then some decals and a set of fox airs it was a mostly stock bike. Since the purchase I have been scowering the web and eBay trying to find parts and info on these bikes. A lot of info was found on here through old topics and so far I have found things very helpful...although the search function isn't all that user friendly.

Anyways I'm starting to make progress on the build. Here's a list of Parts that I have accumulated.

Fox Factory Forx. Working on making a stem and axle. The stock CR stem won't work because the lower tree hole is much larger in diameter...must have been run on a different bike.

A set of moto x fox bars...these are in rough shape and I will repaint and try to save the original sticker

Fox Factory swingarm...i had to purchase an entire bike to get this but at a very fair price. I will swap the swingarm and then sell that bike. Shouldn't lose to much.

Obviously the dg pipe and silencer need to go. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a correct pipe?

Hi bud, which tyres (make/model) did you use on the bike please? I've been unsure which to use on ours as i don't want anything too new looking, but not bothered about any NOS ones at crazy money either. Something like yours will do just fine!

Thanks
chopperninja
12/1/2016 10:35am
fookyoo wrote:
As posted on 79 cr swingarm post
Make Sure You Check CLEARANCES!
on chain roller
chain
brake arm
upper shock mounts
on full suspension compress!
Thanks for the info. I did the necessary frame mods to make the suspension clear with the longer swingarm. I am also currently in the process of ordering the chain roller lowering kit and the trick aluminum brake torque arm that Phil Denton offers like the one pictured on this bike.

chopperninja
12/1/2016 12:23pm
Months back I had the opportunity to purchase a beautiful 79. It was a frame up restoration and was looking the way of a moto x...

Hi bud, which tyres (make/model) did you use on the bike please? I've been unsure which to use on ours as i don't want anything too...
Hi bud, which tyres (make/model) did you use on the bike please? I've been unsure which to use on ours as i don't want anything too new looking, but not bothered about any NOS ones at crazy money either. Something like yours will do just fine!

Thanks
Hey chuck,
Here are the tires. Currently my front wheel is on my Bill Bell with Simon's forks because I didn't have another 78/80 wheel. But the front is a Dunlop sports D739 and the rest is an IFC motocross M5B. These wheels Tires were put on my the previous owner and they are perfectly fine for me.

PK97
12/2/2016 9:50am
Chopperninja,

Would you be willing to share the drawing and specs for the shock guard you made?

chopperninja
12/2/2016 7:41pm
PK97 wrote:
Chopperninja,

Would you be willing to share the drawing and specs for the shock guard you made?

Hello PK,
I would be very happy to share with you and that goes for anyone else that has questions about this build. Please ask and I will provide as much info as possible. When I was researching this bike in particular there just wasn't a ton of good info out there. It was very hard to find what I was looking for. I'm recording all of this to help the next person performing 1 of these builds. Maybe I'm not doing everything 100% period correct but i am trying my best to keep it as authentic as possible. I wasn't alive when these bikes were in existence so if anyone can give me any info also feel free.

PK I'm not sure how exactly to get my template to scale online but I would like to. That way you could just print it out and make your own template just like i did with the chain guide and head stay. But for now I will post the pics how I made mine.

chopperninja
12/2/2016 7:52pm
Also guys I wanted to share that I finally got the correct size bolts for the thicker head stay. I am very pleased with the finished product. I need to really get cracking on this thing. I'd like to have her finished up in the next few weeks. I still need to purchase those parts from Stevie D and that will finish up the rest. Also need a new gold chain. The one I had from the stock swingarm is too short. I need to finish the axle for the forx. Rebuild the Fork. Restore the moto x fox bars. Put the N.O.S. seat cover on, Redo all the decals...the previous owner didn't do a very good job installing them and finally polish the aluminum bits. So stay tuned.

PK97
12/2/2016 8:16pm
Thanks for the info, and will try and recreate your nice work for the shock guard. I am trying to build a '77 RC250 replica but want to protect my fox shocks as well. I was hoping to get a KLP replica arm but found out about the misfortune Karl had before I could order one.

You have done a great job on your build and hope to post some pictures of mine in the coming months.

PK

p
chopperninja
12/9/2016 4:24pm
As I finish up with this project I realize this bike will be too nice for me to ride and worth too much for me to keep. So I'm in the next few months it will be for sale. But as 1 door closes another door opens. I drove to Pittsburgh a few days ago to pick up the next project. Another 79 cr250 moto x fox bike. I will overhaul this bike but will keep the parts in the finish that I found them in. So this bike will be unrestored but a good rider/survivor. I hope you guys enjoy.

chopperninja
12/9/2016 4:35pm Edited Date/Time 12/9/2016 4:38pm
I have the perfect donor bike for my original unrestored moto x fox bike. When I was looking for a fox swingarm I ended up finding a mostly stock bike with some works shocks a 480 front end "I plan on using them for a future xr500 build" and a fox swingarm. I had to purchase the entire bike to get the swingarm and planned on selling it once I swapped it with a stock arm. Luckily I never got around to selling the bike so now I have the perfect platform. So I got around to putting the fox swingarm on that bike...ifs funny how things go full circle. This swingarm already has a fox chain roller so it was neat to compare the 1 I made to it. I think I did a much better job then whoever made this 1. It was cool to see what they used for the chain to ride on and the used old number plates just like the fox plans suggested.

Another thing that I found is that the chain guide mount on the swingarm is slightly further then on my other bike. You can see that I will need to design another shock guard then the 1 that I made for the other bike. Not a big deal but unfortunately the template that I habe made won't work. I assume they made a change at some point.

chopperninja
12/14/2016 7:54pm
Popped the airbox cover off and found this gem. Also had to make another set of fox motor mounts for the unrestored bike. Next on the list is another shock guard.

Took the yellow fox bars off of the unrestored bike and had them blasted and powdercoated yellow. I'm going to put them on the restored bike and replace them with a set of gold fox bars that I have. The gold bars were in much better shape so I made sense to do this.

AHRMA361
Fantasy
232nd
12/15/2016 11:32am
Nice work and nice score on that Fox roller from Gary. Have fun with the next build!
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
12/15/2016 2:40pm
Well played on the double down! Like your shock guard
chopperninja
12/15/2016 9:25pm Edited Date/Time 12/15/2016 9:27pm
Well played on the double down! Like your shock guard
Thanks and I appreciate your web page with all of the fox info on it. Very useful stuff there.

Today I got the NOS seat cover out on. I tried to get the creases out but I guess being folded for 35 years they proved that they were a bit stubborn. I also got my order into PDE and am looking forward to there parts. The unrestored bike is also coming along well. Unfortunately it will probably be a few days until I get back out In the shop.
chopperninja
12/19/2016 5:03pm
Finally got back out In the shop today. Yesterday I picked up my front end from my buddy. The cr250 stem is in the fox trees. I've been waiting to have this front end on the bike for a while now. I also finally setup my bench grinder in the shop and purchased a new 6in fine wire brush for it. I will be using this to clean up all of the aluminum bits. I have never done this before but got started on the top tree and the risers...man was it easy to do and they came up great. Tomorrow I hope to disassemble the tubes. Clean up the lowers and rebuild the forks...and if all goes well install them on the restored fox bike.

chopperninja
1/2/2017 8:36pm
Now that the holidays are over it's time to finish up this build. My parts from PDE should be here on Wednesday. Today I finished cleaning up the trees and i put the front end onto the bike. Tomorrow I hope to rebuild the forx and clean up the lowers and hopefully have everything up front complete.

sandman768
1/4/2017 7:28am
Looks great ...I have got a lot of use out of my bench grinder with brass wire wheel on these builds!

Post a reply to: 79 cr250 moto x fox build

The Latest