2015 AMA Vintage Info is out

Honda88L
Edited Date/Time 2/2/2015 9:03pm
The AMA has changed things up a bit this year. The below link talks about VMD and the change to 3 motos over 2 days with open practice Friday. On the bottom of the page follow the link for the Vintage Grand Tour for additional races.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/racing/nationalchampionships/vintag…

They expanded to other geographic areas and more or less did away with the 7 race series they had last year that was only IL, MI, OH, and KY. They are really stand alone events. I think this should be pretty good for the Vintage world myself and also hopefully attract some new blood with the later classes so the promoters keep them coming.

Also of note they have a class for "classic non current" that basically covers 89 back to EVO3 AMA/Ultima AHRMA They will also have NC that covers 90-98. Man did I love racing my 88 CR250 back in the day.

I know some people side with Ahrma over AMA, me personally I like them both because they let me race on tracks where I don't have to do 100 foot triples. The way I see it if I have one from either organization within striking distance I am there. I also think it is important that we support them because I want them to do it next year.

|
vet323
1/29/2015 6:41pm
I don't get it. Post-Vintage and Evolution 3 are for the same bikes?
Honda88L
1/29/2015 7:22pm
Evo3 is one of 3 class in PV- Evo1, Evo2, Evo3 are all PV. They have it labeled a bit odd on the class listings because they only put Post Vintage on the header for the age classes which states you can run E1, E2, or E3. Hope that makes sense.

berniepiet
1/29/2015 7:56pm
So there is no class breakdown in classic non current, yet non current is broken down into two divisions?

In essence, classic non current is 125, 250, 500 all in one class? Am I reading this correctly?

I also don't get the "Grand Tour" thing. This is points for road riders?

Perhaps it's just me, but I get the E 1, 2, 3 thing, I just don't get why they couldn't just keep it going with E 4 & 5

Just my $.02
Honda88L
1/30/2015 2:31am
I think they didn't make the classic division multiple classes simply because they have never done it and they just want to get traction. NC included those years in 13 and 14 but you rarely saw someone on a bike that fits the current classic. I am sure if it gets going more classes will be there next year. There were way more NC bikes in 14 than 13 and I think they did have less classes in 13.

Not sure on the names. I am just glad they kept the ball rolling as there was talk it could just be VMD and that's it.

The Shop

domoguchi
1/30/2015 3:28am
Where is the rest of the events ? I only see the one in Ohio at vintage days....I must be half asleep !
Maico
1/30/2015 10:23am
Just found that yesterday and added all of them that make sense to my schedule. Some decent venues and I like being able to race my 89 CR250 more in 2015. Now I have to get the 490 Maico rolling.

The class structure had me scratching my head and I'm hardly a novice at vintage racing. Already have a hotel rez for Mid-Ohio.

Looks like the new 3-day format is going to seriously cut into my swap meet browsing.
berniepiet
1/30/2015 8:00pm
Thanks Honda88L, but I am still a bit confused. I saw the grand tour event list. Are these part of a series? Do you accumulate some kind of points?
Honda88L
1/31/2015 5:22am
Nope - they did away with the series. The only points earning or championship event is VMD. When the series ran the past 2 seasons it really was just the same group of us driving to them and at the end it became a bit of a participation award. The vision is that they would generate interest in multiple regions so that in the future they could have some form of a regional series leading up to VMD with it being the National Championship. They also discussed having some form of a fall one as well.

Many of these tracks have done Vintage MX in the past and run AMA sanctioned to begin with. I think they just got together to try an promote the cause. If you think about it in the last 3 years they opened it up to include up to 96. I think growing that will be the key to keeping it going plus if they race it locally they may be more likely to think about the trip.

In my opinion they are trying to grow the sport.
vmx3
2/2/2015 7:23am
So are the races at Log Road, Sunset ridge etc. part of another series? Is it only a 1 race National championship at Mid Ohio like it used to be in the past? The whole thing seems pretty vague and confusing.
The series the last 2 years has been great, sure it could have had more riders but they didn't exactly go out of their way to promote it, it was hard enough finding information even on their own facebook page at the best of times. I think they really could have had something good there if they would of put a bit more effort in and now with gas close to half of what it was last year, I would think that a lot of racers would start travelling again. If the series is gone, it's a real shame.
Maico
2/2/2015 7:47am
Well, it's the AMA so of course it's confusing and slightly effed-up. That's how they roll.

The basic problem with the AMA is that they're quite clueless on running any kind of series or events. And vintage racing is a very difficult "sell" to track owners as the turnouts are rarely large. Tracks have the same expenses whether 100 riders show up or 500, but they need to make money and 100 riders won't provide much chance of profit.

I'll be doing Log Rd (fun track) and I hope Walnut (ditto) and MO. Also all of Woody Grave's Midwest VMX races that I can get to. He includes a Modern Bike Support class, so the KTM gets some exercise too.

VMX3, since you're in Indy, you should check out his series: www.midwestvintagemx.com as he has two Indiana race dates and the one in Byron IL will also be worth the drive (5 hours for you).

Woody set up and ran the Florida Vintage MX Series and his daughter still runs that one. Very good group and good races. Now he's doing the same in the Midwest.
vmx3
2/2/2015 7:59am
I race in Woody's series also, that is the best series for vintage and EVO out there that I have competed in, Ive done what midwest VMX races I can for the last 3 or 4 seasons and have loved it but I did like doing the AMA stuff as well as it went to different tracks and most of them were not too far from Indy.
Whymee
2/2/2015 9:03pm
I have been out of the racing scene for 2-3 years now. Got hurt, lost interest, bla, bla, bla.

I am building a skunk works, super duper, ultra trick, high end scoot for riding PV (E3) this year. I had planned on racing AHRMA in march in Florida. Not quite sure if the machine will be done then. Anyhoo...

Now that this AMA thing has come about I see that there is several races I can attend. Same with AHRMA (nationals). Several races are near me (West Virginia). Heck I wouldn't mind trying out Monster Mountain.

For you that have been running both or either series how is the attendance? I get bummed when I travel 4-8 hours to line up with 4 guys in my class. I know when I left AHRMA rider attendance was down at the nationals (I never did DD's ).

I am not looking to turn this into a AMA vs AHRMA keyboard fest. That horse has been flogged many times.

Can't believe I am saying this, but I am considering just running the AMA "series" for PV, E3. I really do like AHRMA peeps though...

What say you?

Stan

Post a reply to: 2015 AMA Vintage Info is out

The Latest