4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

1996 CR250 McGrath Replica Rebuild

jtracing6

C100_97749500_1263644520

2/2/2012 4:37 AM

Hi McFan
I´m willing to sell that factory carbon silencer, e mail me at
keithrpalmer@yahoo.co.uk
and I´ll send some photos.

barkhard696

C100_dscn1291

2/2/2012 8:12 AM

Well, I drank the Kool-Aid and have sprung for a set of custom clamps from Emig Racing. I'm stoked. They look awesome on Col's build.

"If you expect the world to be fair with you because you are fair is like expecting the lion not to eat you because you don't eat it." --Teddy Roosevelt
"It's better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it." --Quentin Tarantino

MCfan4life

C100_aussie_flag

2/2/2012 6:50 PM

barkhard696 wrote: Well, I drank the Kool-Aid and have sprung for a set of custom clamps from Emig Racing. I'm stoked. They look awesome on Col's build.

You won't regret it James. Tell Gary I sent ya

He's a good guy to deal with. Just make sure you specify 7/8 bar mounts and tell him you want the same height as mine, or give him the height measurement for the standard bar mounts, otherwise he will supply a tall bar mount which looks kinda out of place but might be ok if you were tall and riding your bike.

The only other thing I wanted different on mine but forgot to ask, was hex head bolts instead of Allen key bolts. But I'm a fussy bastard

Nelso_19 on PS3

@Nelso_19mx on Twatter

Oh shit, now I'm on Facebook too

MCfan4life

C100_aussie_flag

2/2/2012 10:02 PM

jtracing6 wrote: Hi McFan
keithrpalmer@yahoo.co.uk

Email sent Keith

Nelso_19 on PS3

@Nelso_19mx on Twatter

MCfan4life

C100_aussie_flag

2/3/2012 4:51 PM

keithrpalmer@yahoo.co.uk

MCfan4life wrote: Email sent Keith

JT the suspense is killing me!!!

Nelso_19 on PS3

@Nelso_19mx on Twatter

WOLFY83

C100_crfinished1

2/7/2012 11:00 PM

keithrpalmer@yahoo.co.uk

Hi guys!
Im new here and am starting a 96 CR250 McGrath semi replica build...As far as plastics they will be all the same...Just picked up a 96 CR250 for 800 bucks in really good shape, with a stock pipe, dyno port pipe, and a platinum pro circuit pipe...The bike already has Showa's on the front...also got the original forks, 5 silencers, unused factory clutch, extra set of boyesen carbon fiber reeds...and the bike has a rad valve in it...

I thought I saw on this post somewhere that people could not find the Works connection frame guards new anymore....Good news! I just ordered a brand new set from Works Connections website 30 minutes ago....Looks like they are making them again...I have ordered all new plastic with the throttle jockey mcgrath kit....

I noticed that the front rotor is hangin up a bit on the caliper pads...SO will need to shim that....

I dont know how to upload photos...but the frame is super clean and runs fantastic...I put a set of Renthal twin walls in flat black and an orange renthal pad, new grips...chain, sprockets and so on...The rest to complete the swap is on its way...

The bike came with all black plastics and tank in really good shape....but not into it..

My idea for the bike is to be slightly tweaked with a few modern updates as McGrath may have done if the parts were available or popular then....

Tell me what you think...I wanna do black wheels with gold hubs with an 18 inch rear of course...and yes I will be riding hare scrambles and trails with it....maybe the dunes sometimes as I'm in Oregon...

Got an applied racing triple clamp off Ebay for 65 bucks delivered with removable bar clamps...Im 6'4" 230 so I have to respring the suspension at the very least as well...

Im having trouble finding a factory style pipe from anyone besides some Noleen pipes on ebay...finish appears rusty on ebay, so gonna pass on those...Any ideas where to get a factory style pipe?

Im also looking for a nice white tank... trying to save a few bucks, getting married this summer but also want to get this bike transformed decently...Im hooked and have been following this thread for a few months now....Took about 30-45 days for me to find a 96...thank god the one I found was in good shape...

Oh and foot pegs? Like I said im tall and am trying to find a lower style foot peg to provide some leg room...any ideas besides the $125 fastway's? ANy other ideas summed up would be much appreciated...

P.S. Gorgeous bikes guys...Love the 96 for it's looks and power....I have had a 98, 00, 01, and 02 cr250.....nothing compared to the 98 that i had as far as torque / bottom end hit goes....this 96 feels like my 98 did as far as power...Im super excited to get it up and presentable as a semi-replica....Again any ideas, suggestions, or spare parts for cheap..Wink, Wink!! Haha...Would be much appreciated....I

Harv_Mushman

C100_avatar

2/9/2012 5:25 PM

I have a '96 CR250 sitting in a pile of parts that -- surprise, surprise -- I want to make into a McGrath replica...

So far, this thread has been loads of help! I still might start a definitive 1996 CR250R McGrath replica thread, if nobody has a problem with it?

Now, just like everyone else has asked, where can I get the HRC clutch and ignition covers?

Harv_Mushman

C100_avatar

2/9/2012 6:55 PM

MCfan4life wrote: Again, does anybody have an old 92-96 rear guard (in any colour) laying around that they don't want? I need to get one to Throttle Jockey so they can do a 1 piece rear decal for it. I'd be happy to re-imburse you shipping costs through paypal and pay for the fender also if you like.

If not I will just have to go with the 3 piece rear fender decal. Which I guess would be more authentic. But I worry that over time, as the plastics or graphics fade, this mis-matched colours become more obvious with the 3 piece decal. Thoughts anyone?

Do you still need one sent?

I have one I could donate to the said project.

WOLFY83

C100_crfinished1

2/9/2012 6:56 PM

Harv_Mushman wrote: I have a '96 CR250 sitting in a pile of parts that -- surprise, surprise -- I want to make into a McGrath replica...

So far, this thread has been loads of help! I still might start a definitive 1996 CR250R McGrath replica thread, if nobody has a problem with it?

Now, just like everyone else has asked, where can I get the HRC clutch and ignition covers?

Just keep looking on ebay...a couple of days ago they had both the ignition and clutch covers on ebay...They come out of europe somewhere and are about $200 each....I just checked and could not find them...For what i have read they are made in batches...he may have just sold out recently...Im sure he will make some more...Just keep watching ebay...

I think I searched "HRC" and that brought up the clutch cover and if you click on see other items you will find the ignition cover.

On a side note....Gonna rebuild my showas this weekend and spring them for me. about 6'4" 230 pounds...Also gota guy that is going to powder coat my fram this weekend...From is in awesome shpe and doesnt need it, but im still waiting on parts, so figure I will get that done...

And if your looking fr WOrks connection frame guards, go to their website..they are in stock

MCfan4life

C100_aussie_flag

2/9/2012 7:53 PM

Harv_Mushman wrote: Do you still need one sent?

I have one I could donate to the said project.

No longer needed. We're all good thanks

Nelso_19 on PS3

@Nelso_19mx on Twatter

MCfan4life

C100_aussie_flag

2/9/2012 7:57 PM

Harv_Mushman wrote: I have a '96 CR250 sitting in a pile of parts that -- surprise, surprise -- I want to make into a McGrath replica...

Hey Harv another rebuild thread would be great - the more the merrier I say. We will probably bounce ideas off each other.

I have the guys direct email who makes the ignition and clutch covers. I'm away from home until Wednesday so I can send it to you then. He supplies them to the guy who lists them on eBay and will be happy to sell them direct to you.

Nelso_19 on PS3

@Nelso_19mx on Twatter

WOLFY83

C100_crfinished1

2/9/2012 8:18 PM

MCfan4life wrote: Hey Harv another rebuild thread would be great - the more the merrier I say. We will probably bounce ideas off each other.

I have the guys direct email who makes the ignition and clutch covers. I'm away from home until Wednesday so I can send it to you then. He supplies them to the guy who lists them on eBay and will be happy to sell them direct to you.

I would love his direct email as well! Is there a price break at all since there is no middle man? I would have bought them last week if they werent $400 bucks for a pair...That is almost what my gold hub / black rim wheels cost

WOLFY83

C100_crfinished1

2/9/2012 9:53 PM

MCfan4life wrote: Hey Harv another rebuild thread would be great - the more the merrier I say. We will probably bounce ideas off each other.

WOLFY83 wrote: I would love his direct email as well! Is there a price break at all since there is no middle man? I would have bought them last week if they werent $400 bucks for a pair...That is almost what my gold hub / black rim wheels cost

One more thing..Im kind of doing an updated mcgrath replica...such as the gold hubs with black rim wheels...it is going to be a work in progress...Such as the factory replica hrc covers...$400 buck..I wold rather put boyesen covers that I could get for about $200 a pair.....Im getting arried this summer and but can still put a few bucks to the side as long as I dont spend top dollar on certain parts.....Because in the end a factory look is all Im goin for...most people cant tell the difference...Oh and clean is very important...nice thing is the 96 i picked up a few weeks ago is super clean....all the brake compeents are nice and wonte takemuch to clean up...I really like the black wheels on the 96 mcgrath bike.....Really sets the bike off in my opinion....

jtracing6

C100_97749500_1263644520

2/17/2012 2:26 PM

Col, have you received the silencer pictures? I've sent them to you twice.

MCfan4life

C100_aussie_flag

2/17/2012 4:18 PM

jtracing6 wrote: Col, have you received the silencer pictures? I've sent them to you twice.

I got the emails thanks Keith. I'll reply real soon mate. Things have been a bit hectic lately.

Nelso_19 on PS3

@Nelso_19mx on Twatter

bradmx421

C100_sokalcustoms2

3/3/2012 4:52 PM

ive got a quick question for you guys that have already been building on these bikes...

i recently(today) aquired a 1993 Honda Cr250r..... i want to make a McGrath Replica of course.

i see that the airbox/sidepanels are different but the rear fender is the same, does the 95 airbox and side panels bolt on with no fabrication?

also the radiator shrouds are different, will they bolt up to a '93 tank or do i need to get a newer tank and will it be a direct bolt on?

Banana_oil

C100_dsc_0687_1404974396

3/3/2012 10:42 PM

bradmx421 wrote: ive got a quick question for you guys that have already been building on these bikes...

i recently(today) aquired a 1993 Honda Cr250r..... i want to make a McGrath Replica of course.

i see that the airbox/sidepanels are different but the rear fender is the same, does the 95 airbox and side panels bolt on with no fabrication?

also the radiator shrouds are different, will they bolt up to a '93 tank or do i need to get a newer tank and will it be a direct bolt on?

The tank is the same between 92-96 and I'm am almost 100% sure that the 95 airbox will fit the 93 frame. But, the 95 airbox is white while the 96 one is black/dark grey.

Good luck with your bike!

bradmx421

C100_sokalcustoms2

3/4/2012 11:33 AM

Banana_oil wrote: The tank is the same between 92-96 and I'm am almost 100% sure that the 95 airbox will fit the 93 frame. But, the 95 airbox is white while the 96 one is black/dark grey.

Thanks..... i understand the color difference, and also that some of the plastics are different. so im going to get 95 side panels, airbox, and radiator shrouds.( i want to make a real replica since mcgrath always stayed on a 93 chassis)

got to check out the bike a little last night and im so stoked it has the Pro Circuit Works pipe...with NO DENTS!!!

it has an actual plastic works front number plate too....needs to be cleaned up but i think i can salvage it. lucky the guy had preprinted backgrounds on it so i think i can clean it up really good.

Banana_oil

C100_dsc_0687_1404974396

3/4/2012 1:31 PM

bradmx421 wrote: ive got a quick question for you guys that have already been building on these bikes...

Banana_oil wrote: The tank is the same between 92-96 and I'm am almost 100% sure that the 95 airbox will fit the 93 frame. But, the 95 airbox is white while the 96 one is black/dark grey.

bradmx421 wrote: Thanks..... i understand the color difference, and also that some of the plastics are different. so im going to get 95 side panels, airbox, and radiator shrouds.( i want to make a real replica since mcgrath always stayed on a 93 chassis)

got to check out the bike a little last night and im so stoked it has the Pro Circuit Works pipe...with NO DENTS!!!

it has an actual plastic works front number plate too....needs to be cleaned up but i think i can salvage it. lucky the guy had preprinted backgrounds on it so i think i can clean it up really good.

Photo, please!!

bradmx421

C100_sokalcustoms2

3/4/2012 4:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/4/2012 4:04 PM

sorry this is the only pic i have of it right now....this is from the ad that my dad found it. its fairly beat up but the pipe is cherry once i get rid of the surface rust...its going to get stripped this week. i work 6 days a week right now so this may be a fairly slow build up.

bradmx421

C100_sokalcustoms2

3/5/2012 11:42 AM

so i figured out today that the airbox is the exact same from 92-96 cr250's.... 92-95 are white 96 is black(smoke gray). unfortunatly the black(smoke gray) airbox is discontinued so im on the hunt for a clean black one. just ordered all the plastics...hoopefully i will have time to strip the bike this wednesday for powdercoat

Banana_oil

C100_dsc_0687_1404974396

3/5/2012 12:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/5/2012 12:12 PM

bradmx421 wrote: so i figured out today that the airbox is the exact same from 92-96 cr250's.... 92-95 are white 96 is black(smoke gray). unfortunatly the black(smoke gray) airbox is discontinued so im on the hunt for a clean black one. just ordered all the plastics...hoopefully i will have time to strip the bike this wednesday for powdercoat

Good to see the bike, it looks like a good object to start with.

Are you sure the airboxes are the same? The 95-96 side panels have a different mounting placement in the airbox.
If you don't find a black one you could always wrap the white one with carbon film as MCfan4life did.

bradmx421

C100_sokalcustoms2

3/5/2012 2:38 PM

Banana_oil wrote: Good to see the bike, it looks like a good object to start with.

Are you sure the airboxes are the same? The 95-96 side panels have a different mounting placement in the airbox.
If you don't find a black one you could always wrap the white one with carbon film as MCfan4life did.

when i looked at the FicheFinder today at work, when you click on the airbox picture it says 92-96 (shasta white) then its 96(smoke gray). by looking at the Fiche's on both bikes they look identical....all the other part numbers match except the actual airbox itself but that is due to the difference in color.

RoseCityMadMan

C100_dscn5570large

3/5/2012 11:14 PM

bradmx421 wrote: when i looked at the FicheFinder today at work, when you click on the airbox picture it says 92-96 (shasta white) then its 96(smoke gray). by looking at the Fiche's on both bikes they look identical....all the other part numbers match except the actual airbox itself but that is due to the difference in color.

When I looked at the parts fiche at Motosport, I found different part numbers for the 95 white air cleaner housing from the 92-94 white air cleaner housing.

"I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees"

POLAR BEARS!

bradmx421

C100_sokalcustoms2

3/6/2012 1:19 PM

RoseCityMadMan wrote: When I looked at the parts fiche at Motosport, I found different part numbers for the 95 white air cleaner housing from the 92-94 white air cleaner housing.

i will find out in a couple days i guess when all my plastics come in. the Fiche itself says Air Cleaner 92-96. the reason the part numbers are different in the two is because the earlier one you pick #2 on the Fiche and it comes with all the clips and everything. when you look at a 95 you pick #1 from the Fiche finder which does not come with the the clips. by looking at the two Fiches side by side on my computer they look identical aswell....but we will see in a couple days. my goal is to get the majority of this build done by the Two Stroke World Championships at Glen Helen on April 1st.. already ordered all the new plastics, and ordered the graphic kit(backgrounds and seat too) from Throttle Jockey. this bike is being purpose built to ride and race......once i strip it for powdercoat this week i will get started on motor teardown aswell and get my grind on with the porting and mill the head.

CamP

C100_139826380_1291095094

3/8/2012 8:46 PM

The '95 airbox is different than the 92-94 airbox. The '95 airbox only accepts 95 and 96 side panels.

bradmx421

C100_sokalcustoms2

3/9/2012 11:00 AM

CamP wrote: The '95 airbox is different than the 92-94 airbox. The '95 airbox only accepts 95 and 96 side panels.

thanks, i was waiting for a good source to chime in and let me know. wierd how the fiche says 92-96. i guess im on the hunt for a decent shape black one now since the OEM is discontinued. the part numbers are the exact same for the subframes so it should be no issues with mounting.

CamP

C100_139826380_1291095094

3/9/2012 12:32 PM

Both the '95 (white) and '96 (grey) air box housings are still available and will work on your bike with 95 or 96 side plates. The 92-94 airbox housings are discontinued but you may find one in the system if you contact a Honda dealer and they run a computer search on all the dealership parts inventories in the country.

bradmx421

C100_sokalcustoms2

3/9/2012 1:05 PM

well i work for a shop(Langston Motorsports), we are not a honda dealer...... but i gave the part number to a guy at a Local Honda dealer and he ran it for me and said it was discontinued. anyways, i just scored a 96 airbox off ebay for $11. i plan on wrapping it with carbon too so i wasnt worried about minor scratches.

MCfan4life

C100_aussie_flag

3/9/2012 8:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/25/2012 4:14 AM

bradmx421 wrote: well i work for a shop(Langston Motorsports), we are not a honda dealer...... but i gave the part number to a guy at a Local Honda dealer and he ran it for me and said it was discontinued. anyways, i just scored a 96 airbox off ebay for $11. i plan on wrapping it with carbon too so i wasnt worried about minor scratches.

Brad I have just wrapped my airbox in the 3M carbon wrap and it is a CU*T of a job!!!! I will get pics up soon.

I originally just had N-Style carbon look airbox decals on it. The 3M carbon wrap looks better but man, it will test your patience trying to install it....

Good luck!

Nelso_19 on PS3

@Nelso_19mx on Twatter

Post a Reply to: 1996 CR250 McGrath Replica Rebuild

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm