1996 CR250 McGrath Replica Rebuild

MCfan4life
3/16/2012 2:35am
bradmx421 wrote:
im hoping so, i already have an 18" silver excel on the bike....and to be honest 18" tires are cheaper so that would be a plus...
im hoping so, i already have an 18" silver excel on the bike....and to be honest 18" tires are cheaper so that would be a plus. i saved a set of 756's forever but the rear is a 19" so i will just put MX51's on them. i already have a few sets of the Dunlop tire logos..so im on the right track
MCfan4life wrote:
Brad team Honda ran 19in rears on their factory bikes from about 1988/89 on, even though Honda didn't put it into production until 1995. Pretty sure...
Brad team Honda ran 19in rears on their factory bikes from about 1988/89 on, even though Honda didn't put it into production until 1995. Pretty sure MC always ran a 19in (but I can check). The 18in is heavier and weight is the mortal enemy of a factory SX bike.
WOLFY83 wrote:
Any word on the 18" or 19" rear wheel?
Actually yes. I got an email yesterday.

MC ran an 18in rear on very rare occasions. It was due to a factory Dunlop tyre that was only available in 18in. Other than that, he always ran a 19in.
bradmx421
3/16/2012 10:47am
very cool, thanks...... right now im crunched on time to get it done on time. so i will have to stick with the 18" for right now.glad that i was at least partially right that he ran an 18" ocasionally. im sure the MX51 that i put on will be better than the works tires of back then.

got it stripped to the frame now, one peg bracket is slightly bent so i have to take it to my frame guy and have him straighten it out a little then get it to powdercoat.

i scored a set of Pro Circuit engine covers on ebay, so im thinking im going to take the carbon fiber ones that i have on my '01 Cr250 and put on the '93. or just put the PC ones on...not too sure yet. its crazy how many years of CR's these covers fit

also scored a brand new AC racing aluminum subframe... i need to put it on the scale to see the weight savings. when the box came in it was so light i thought the box was empty. and my 96 airbox came aswell and i was very suprised how great of condition it was in.
MCfan4life
3/20/2012 2:02am Edited Date/Time 3/20/2012 2:03am
A minor update. I finally got the airbox covered in the 3M carbon decal and have re-installed it, the subframe, rear plastics, etc. I'm pretty fussy when it comes to these details and this was a f*cking nightmare of a job!!!

Just waiting on the new graphics now to finish it off. These are going to be a while though so I just have to wait patiently until they can be done. At least I know they will stand the test of time as far as quality goes and holding their colour. You can see in the above pics the decals are already a little off-colour and the bike hasn't even left the garage since they were installed! DJ has a set of 17 year old Throttle Jockey Team Honda decals that still look brand new!!!

I have a few minor jobs still to do like installing the chain, frame guards and skid plate, but they are all last minute installations.
bradmx421
3/20/2012 11:18am
looks really good!!! im wondering how that 3m carbon would hold up to heat on the silencer if the bike is ridden.

you should put one of those drilled out washers on the pipe mount bolt, like you have on the radiator.

do you plan on drilling and safety wiring everything?

The Shop

MCfan4life
3/21/2012 7:37pm
Brad the 3M carbon wrap is no different to a normal decal so it would probably burn itself to the silencer I imagine. The carbon wrap has a carbon like texture on the outside but sticks just like a normal decal.

I put a drilled washer on the pipe mount bolt. I had a few left over and was wondering where I else I could put them. Thanks for that.

I havn't thought about drilling and safety wire to be honest but I may consider it.
reded
3/22/2012 5:17am
I still say it needs a roost guard for the petcock in order to be correct.
bradmx421
3/22/2012 10:29am
MCfan4life wrote:
Brad the 3M carbon wrap is no different to a normal decal so it would probably burn itself to the silencer I imagine. The carbon wrap...
Brad the 3M carbon wrap is no different to a normal decal so it would probably burn itself to the silencer I imagine. The carbon wrap has a carbon like texture on the outside but sticks just like a normal decal.

I put a drilled washer on the pipe mount bolt. I had a few left over and was wondering where I else I could put them. Thanks for that.

I havn't thought about drilling and safety wire to be honest but I may consider it.
cool, than i wont waste my time with the 3M stuff on the silencer, i wonder how hot it will get on my airbox if i put relective heat tape on the underside. i already have some carbon decal sticker material so i may just stick with that on mine.

im going to drill and safety wire all of mine, gives it that extra factory look. we just got some new jigs in the shop from Zeta(Dirt Freak) for doing safety wire drilling and i have been dying to give it a try.
bradmx421
3/22/2012 10:30am
reded wrote:
I still say it needs a roost guard for the petcock in order to be correct.
do you have a pic of this? im thinking maybe i can make the carbon fiber ones available from KTM work if its the same style.
Tracktor
3/22/2012 10:53am
Brad, I wrapped the box on my 96 CR125 with the 3m carbon. It has held up great so far(about ten rides. It's cheap enough where you can redo if it gets messed up. Wouldn't hold up to the heat of a silencer, though.............
bradmx421
3/22/2012 4:14pm
Tracktor wrote:
Brad, I wrapped the box on my 96 CR125 with the 3m carbon. It has held up great so far(about ten rides. It's cheap enough where...
Brad, I wrapped the box on my 96 CR125 with the 3m carbon. It has held up great so far(about ten rides. It's cheap enough where you can redo if it gets messed up. Wouldn't hold up to the heat of a silencer, though.............
thanks for the input, i like the look of the 3m stuff......the average joe would think it is real carbon.
MCfan4life
4/22/2012 3:27pm
No updates to report Brad. Having a bit of a hold up with the graphics unfortunately.

Brad are you able to get your hands on those yellow Dunlop tyre decals? I'd like to buy a couple sets if I can get a hold of some.
bradmx421
4/22/2012 4:06pm Edited Date/Time 4/22/2012 4:12pm
i have enough Dunlop tire decals to do 3 bikes.... let me ask my source and make sure i can get more, if i can i will gladly get you some

ive been trying to score these for like 10 years and i was lucky enough to get a few sets this year from a good friend. i wish they sold them

my project is down to the frame right now, i have to straighten one of the peg mounts then have it powdercoated(going to use the same coater that PC and KTM use) ive had it down for a couple weeks, but work has been so busy i havent had time to get it done. hopefully i can hemmer it out soon so that i can start building it.
bradmx421
4/23/2012 1:04pm
i talked to my hook-up for the tire decals, he said he was going to get me some more. as soon as i get them i will have you paypal me for the shipping only....
4/29/2012 3:59am Edited Date/Time 4/29/2012 3:59am
hey peeps
if anyone is looking to complete the MC look with some era-correct gear, some dude is letting his 'showtime' Bell helmet go.
its an xl which ruled me out, but anyone with a big melon, go for it. $70 BIN, the gentlemen is in Australia.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bell-Mcgrath-Showtime-/280870791620?pt=AU_Clothing_Merchandise_Media&hash=item41653429c4
bradmx421
4/30/2012 11:36am
i still have one of those helmets from when i was a teenager, when they first came out..... its so outdated i would never wear it to ride. i have been thinking about having a Moto-9 painted like one of his Anaheim helmets though...but i also dont plan on hitting the lottery anytime soon so who knows when i could waste $$$$ like that
cavy
5/7/2012 9:45am
nine1seven I just bought a '96 CR250 where did you get the shroud graphics and the seat cover.Thanks cavy
bradmx421
5/7/2012 6:09pm
jammin76tx wrote:
Never seen these before, clear plastic CR kit on Ebay.
those are unbelievably rare and cool...i wish i had some spare $$$$
MCfan4life
5/7/2012 7:09pm
cavy wrote:
nine1seven I just bought a '96 CR250 where did you get the shroud graphics and the seat cover.Thanks cavy
The seat 'cover' that you speak of is a complete OEM Honda seat...off a 97 CR125. It's the same as the factory seat covers they ran in 96. You can't buy just the cover from Honda (or anywhere else that I know of) with the lettering on it, hence why we bought complete seats. If you buy just the cover from Honda it will be blank. nine1seven's CR has the tall option seat whilst mine has the standard height seat.

nine1seven had his graphics made by FLU Designs. I had mine made by a decal company in Australia. Just about any graphics company can reproduce them if they have the templates for a 96 model. Alternatively, Throttle Jockey do a replica 95 kit (see top of this page).
Banana_oil
5/8/2012 9:50am
cavy wrote:
The swedish Tecnosel importer still have a stock of the 97 cr250 seat cover. As seen in the photo it fits good to the 96 seat. Send me a PM if you are very keen on getting one.

nine1seven
5/8/2012 2:14pm
cavy wrote:
What's up guys,

This thread certainly blew up.

Cavy, Col was spot on about the seat and graphics on my bike. I may be selling the tank and shrouds with those graphics (shown below). They are on new OEM shrouds and new OEM never-had-gas-in-it tank so it will be a bit pricey but I think worth it as some of this oem plastic is unavailable new. I'd only ask $100 for the graphics but you would have to pay retail for the plastic to get them!

Col, the bike is looking great man! Can't wait to see it with the factory number plate and graphics!
JIM77
6/4/2012 4:00am
I am a new member here, and have read this thread quite a few times now, just admiring your handy work MC Fan. Really inspiring stuff, and the attention to detail is amazing. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I had been looking for a decent canvas myself to rebuild, it wont be to your level, but I can be pretty particular when I want to. Anyway I'm from Brisbane and I bought a 96 cr250 on the weekend, it's rough, but not previously rebuilt, it even had the original seat. I actually plan on riding it occasionally when finished.

Just starting the task of finding decent parts and where possible I will try and get second hand ones in good condition. What sort of Tank did you buy OEM or Aftermarket?

Cheers Jim
Banana_oil
6/5/2012 3:50am
As you may know the works connection frame guards are now available again aswell as the 92-93 skid plate. The frame guards fit perfect and I hoped the skid plate would fit the 96 but it needed some massageing.

I had to drill new rear holes, grind the front hooks slightly and add some shims to the mounts. Also the profile of the plate does not align the frame rails prefectly but it still will do its job.

I got them from CGH imports in UK.

MCfan4life
6/5/2012 5:03am
JIM77 wrote:
I am a new member here, and have read this thread quite a few times now, just admiring your handy work MC Fan. Really inspiring stuff...
I am a new member here, and have read this thread quite a few times now, just admiring your handy work MC Fan. Really inspiring stuff, and the attention to detail is amazing. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I had been looking for a decent canvas myself to rebuild, it wont be to your level, but I can be pretty particular when I want to. Anyway I'm from Brisbane and I bought a 96 cr250 on the weekend, it's rough, but not previously rebuilt, it even had the original seat. I actually plan on riding it occasionally when finished.

Just starting the task of finding decent parts and where possible I will try and get second hand ones in good condition. What sort of Tank did you buy OEM or Aftermarket?

Cheers Jim
Jim I got a new OEM tank from Honda. I bought a heap of Honda parts in a couple of bulk orders from the U.S and saved big! Te website tat was the cheapest now seems to be closed down. I would think the cheapest now would be Service Honda but it would pay to shop around. Freight out of the U.S isn't cheap but it's worth it if you can pack a lot of small items in with a bigger item like a tank. Just make sure take stock of ALL the parts you may need before you order!
MCfan4life
6/5/2012 5:05am
Banana_oil wrote:
As you may know the works connection frame guards are now available again aswell as the 92-93 skid plate. The frame guards fit perfect and I...
As you may know the works connection frame guards are now available again aswell as the 92-93 skid plate. The frame guards fit perfect and I hoped the skid plate would fit the 96 but it needed some massageing.

I had to drill new rear holes, grind the front hooks slightly and add some shims to the mounts. Also the profile of the plate does not align the frame rails prefectly but it still will do its job.

I got them from CGH imports in UK.

Nice one. I actually have new Works Connection frame guards and skid plate in sealed packets, just waiting to go on. Cool
Banana_oil
6/6/2012 12:57am
I look forward to see your bike be completed. Are your guards NOS and do they look exactly like mine? I'm pretty sure mine are not old stock but fresh from factory.
barkhard696
6/6/2012 11:58am
This may have been mentioned already, but a company in the UK commissioned a run of clear front numberplates from UFO. These have the cut for the stock Honda guide on the lower clamp blanked out, and a bolt-on bracket for the cable guide included.

They aren't cheap, but are as close as most will get with PlasticWerks flaking out. This a limited run, so get yours while you can...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HRC-Honda-CR-style-evo-motocross-UFO-front-plate-neutral-colour-with-hose-guide-/380433393624?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item589398e7d8#ht_500wt_949
jtracing6
6/6/2012 12:24pm
This may have been mentioned already, but a company in the UK commissioned a run of clear front numberplates from UFO. These have the cut for...
This may have been mentioned already, but a company in the UK commissioned a run of clear front numberplates from UFO. These have the cut for the stock Honda guide on the lower clamp blanked out, and a bolt-on bracket for the cable guide included.

They aren't cheap, but are as close as most will get with PlasticWerks flaking out. This a limited run, so get yours while you can...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HRC-Honda-CR-style-evo-motocross-UFO-front-plate-neutral-colour-with-hose-guide-/380433393624?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item589398e7d8#ht_500wt_949
Yes it was mentioned on here.
Leeroy on here, is selling them in the USA, he's a friend of Rob Walters from the UK, he is the guy who has had them made.
So now you can save yourselves the transatlantic shipping cost.

Post a reply to: 1996 CR250 McGrath Replica Rebuild

The Latest