1996 CR250 McGrath Replica Rebuild

JIM77
6/6/2012 8:55pm Edited Date/Time 6/6/2012 8:57pm
Thanks, I don’t like my chances of finding a new OEM tank, so might have to go with a Clarke standard size tank. Have you or anyone else on here, had any experience with them? What are they like for finish, fit and colour? I’m guessing no comparison to the real thing.

Anyway the first thing will be getting the frame Powder coated, I use a good one through work regularly, so a carton of beer will see it done for me.

A few questions though, if you could give me some advice.

Did you strip the old paint off before sending it to your coaters, or just got them to blast the paint off?
Do you think blasting the frame will be too harsh?
Did you use any type of rust treatment?
I know you said you welded up a couple of holes, did you do anything else special to the frame before coating? Pegs and rear brake pedal mounts, tapping of threads etc?

Sorry mate, don’t mean to make a pest of myself, I’m just keen to do the job right is all, this bike is a pile of poo at the moment, but I already love it more than my 250f.

Cheers Jim
barkhard696
6/13/2012 7:13pm Edited Date/Time 6/17/2012 7:28pm
>Is that semi-translucent?

Yes

>Would that be what I'd need for my '96 "Showtime" replica?

I got my two front numberplates from the UK. These are indeed very close replicas of the HRC numberplate-- in some respects even closer than the Plasticwerks version (which itself was a reproduction).

I'd buy these while they are still available. They were done in a limited run and are very, very good.
barkhard696
6/17/2012 7:58am
>Thanks, I don’t like my chances of finding a new OEM tank, so might have to go with a Clarke standard size tank. Have you or anyone else on here, had any experience with them? What are they like for finish, fit and colour? I’m guessing no comparison to the real thing.

No, actually I've owned a bunch of Clarke tanks and have had no problems whatsoever with them for Hondas. Frankly I think they are a better choice than using a Honda OEM on a rider, since the OEM parts are drying up (and will appreciate in value), whereas, the Clarke tanks are still being made (so go ahead and thrash on them as much as you want).

The only difference is that the Clarke tanks don't have the Honda wing on the top of the tank. Otherwise, fit and functionality are completely the same as OEM. Since these MC replicas use graphics that cover most of the visible part of the tank, using Honda OEM really's just an exercise in how much money you're willing to spend.

I've used Clarke on my Yamaha IT restos (an '86 IT200 and an '83 IT250), yes, sometimes the tanks are smaller than stock. But with the Honda tanks, I've never heard of any issues, and I've had probably six of the Clarkes for various CR resto projects.
barkhard696
6/17/2012 8:04am
>Did you strip the old paint off before sending it to your coaters, or just got them to blast the paint off?

I've only used powdercoaters here in the US through friends. The coater typically includes media treatment as part of the price (which I think also answers #2).

I believe the frame metal has to be blasted for the powdercoating to adhere properly, although removing the paint completely is also done for an even finish.

Some people do their own media blasting and then strengthen the factory welds. I believe this is what DJ is planning as part of his latest '96 CR project.

The Shop

JIM77
6/19/2012 3:13am
Thanks barkhard, I found my own problems with the frame, I'm surprised MCfan didn't have similar issues, I've started another thread rather than hijack this one anymore.
MCfan4life
6/20/2012 10:40pm Edited Date/Time 6/20/2012 10:45pm
JIM77 wrote:
Thanks, I don’t like my chances of finding a new OEM tank, so might have to go with a Clarke standard size tank. Have you or...
Thanks, I don’t like my chances of finding a new OEM tank, so might have to go with a Clarke standard size tank. Have you or anyone else on here, had any experience with them? What are they like for finish, fit and colour? I’m guessing no comparison to the real thing.

Anyway the first thing will be getting the frame Powder coated, I use a good one through work regularly, so a carton of beer will see it done for me.

A few questions though, if you could give me some advice.

Did you strip the old paint off before sending it to your coaters, or just got them to blast the paint off?
I know you said you welded up a couple of holes, did you do anything else special to the frame before coating? Pegs and rear brake pedal mounts, tapping of threads etc?

Sorry mate, don’t mean to make a pest of myself, I’m just keen to do the job right is all, this bike is a pile of poo at the moment, but I already love it more than my 250f.

Cheers Jim
Wow I hadn't realised the OEM tank had been discontinued....looks like the value of those just went up if anyone has a new spare one laying around... Those of us that got them recently are lucky!

You'll need to speak to your specific powder coater about he wants the frame prepped. Mine wanted it freshly blasted with no treatments on the frame. In other words they wanted the metal 'raw'. This sounds easy except the powder coater I used wouldn't arrange blasting so I had to find a blaster who would drop it around to the powder coaters straight after blasting it.

Blasting won't be too harsh on the frame as long as the guy doing the work knows what he's doing. Obviously they use different grades of media and they will have a good idea which grade to use so that they don't damage the frame. Again, a few phone calls between your powder coater and blaster should get things sorted.

The only other prep work I did was to put old bolts in all the threads and block the steering stem holes. Use old bolts because you won't get the powder coating off them when it's finished. If you havn't got one, buy a Dremel. This will become your new best freind when removing the old bolts and removing the powder coat from parts of the frame like where the subframe slots in to the main frame, footpeg mounts, etc. When removing the old bolts I (very carefully) ran the dremel around the threads where they met the frame. Alternatively, use longer than normal bolts and put tape around the threads where they 'meet' the frame if that makes sense. After coating, just unwind the tape and the bolts come straight out no problem.

Preparation is key to a good finished product Cool

And you're not making a pest of yourself. That's what this part of the forum and threads like these are all about. Happy to help.
JIM77
6/20/2012 11:55pm
Thanks, I'm lucky my powdercoater will blast, zinc prime and top coat the frame for the cost of a carton of beer. I also have Zinc platting contacts and will get most of the bolts done for nix.

I was onto putting old screws into the threads, I know what you are saying about not tape or cutting the coat before removing the screws, it is so the coating doesn't tear when you undo them.

What did you use to block the head stem tube?

I still have the bearing races in mine, they had only just been replaced when I bought the bike and I don't want to ruin them when removing them.
MCfan4life
6/21/2012 2:27am
I left my races in and found a couple of plastic caps laying around the shed that fitted in the stem perfectly. I have no idea what they were or where they came from.
JIM77
6/21/2012 2:43am
yep thats the go, I'll hunt the hardware for some that fit.

Thanks for your help, when do we get to see your finished product?
CamP
6/21/2012 7:57am
I bought a new tank last summer. Now I wish I would have bought 4 or 5 of them.
notme
6/21/2012 8:35am
Even harder to find is a "factory" pipe, one thats not plated. I regret not buying a couple bills pipes about 18 months ago, but that was before I bought my 95.
6/21/2012 10:17am
Banana_oil wrote:
The swedish Tecnosel importer still have a stock of the 97 cr250 seat cover. As seen in the photo it fits good to the 96 seat...
The swedish Tecnosel importer still have a stock of the 97 cr250 seat cover. As seen in the photo it fits good to the 96 seat. Send me a PM if you are very keen on getting one.

I tried to PM you about the seat cover but I dont think it went through. Could you email me any info if they are still available? riveradavid1985@yahoo.com
MCfan4life
6/21/2012 3:23pm Edited Date/Time 6/21/2012 3:24pm
CamP wrote:
I immediately thought of your new tank when I was typing that post Cam. You must have got one of the last ones. Also that dealer that we were buying our OEM parts from (you posted their link earlier in the thread) seems to have gone belly up as well....
CamP
6/21/2012 3:43pm
CamP wrote:
MCfan4life wrote:
I immediately thought of your new tank when I was typing that post Cam. You must have got one of the last ones. Also that dealer...
I immediately thought of your new tank when I was typing that post Cam. You must have got one of the last ones. Also that dealer that we were buying our OEM parts from (you posted their link earlier in the thread) seems to have gone belly up as well....
That dealer closed their internet store, but they still take phone orders. Another internet store with great OEM parts prices is Powersports Plus.

I'm in a dilemma now with what to do with that NOS tank.
JIM77
6/21/2012 4:54pm
Anyone know what year model OEM rims CRF and CR will lace up to 96 Hubs and Spokes?

I know the size and width are right just need to check alignment. Have done a bit of a search, but can't find anything conclusive and I reckon i will get a decent set of 2nd hand late model Silver rims without to much trouble.

Cheers Jim
MCfan4life
6/21/2012 8:54pm
JIM77 wrote:
Anyone know what year model OEM rims CRF and CR will lace up to 96 Hubs and Spokes? I know the size and width are right...
Anyone know what year model OEM rims CRF and CR will lace up to 96 Hubs and Spokes?

I know the size and width are right just need to check alignment. Have done a bit of a search, but can't find anything conclusive and I reckon i will get a decent set of 2nd hand late model Silver rims without to much trouble.

Cheers Jim
Front and rear rims off any CR250 or CRF450 from 95 onwards are the same rims. The 125 or 250F rims will fit but obviously the rear rims are narrower (1.85in vs 2.15in)
JIM77
6/21/2012 10:07pm
excellent, that is going to make it a heap easier to get a set of decent rims sorted. I was quoted $960 to have a set of excels with S/S Spokes laced up to my hubs here in Brisbane.
6/22/2012 10:11am
JIM77 wrote:
Anyone know what year model OEM rims CRF and CR will lace up to 96 Hubs and Spokes? I know the size and width are right...

Cheers Jim
MCfan4life wrote:
Front and rear rims off any CR250 or CRF450 from 95 onwards are the same rims. The 125 or 250F rims will fit but obviously the...
Front and rear rims off any CR250 or CRF450 from 95 onwards are the same rims. The 125 or 250F rims will fit but obviously the rear rims are narrower (1.85in vs 2.15in)
Does this mean the wheels and axles from a 2002 will mount into a 1996 or are the hub configurations different?
JIM77
6/22/2012 4:21pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2012 4:23pm
JIM77 wrote:

Cheers Jim
MCfan4life wrote:
Front and rear rims off any CR250 or CRF450 from 95 onwards are the same rims. The 125 or 250F rims will fit but obviously the...
Does this mean the wheels and axles from a 2002 will mount into a 1996 or are the hub configurations different?
Not sure about the Hubs, I was more concerned with the rims, with the intention of lacing them to my hubs.

I doubt they would fit without changing spacers and axles, but I could be wrong.
MCfan4life
6/23/2012 4:24am Edited Date/Time 6/29/2012 6:22am
JIM77 wrote:

Cheers Jim
MCfan4life wrote:
Not quite. They will fit but you will need to change some parts around. Here's what you will need to change...

Rear wheel: rear disc on the 02 is too big. Honda went to a larger diameter disc in '97. Also the bearings and spacers will need to be changed. Honda went to a larger diameter rear axle in 2000. So your 02 wheel will fit with 96 bearings, spacers, axle and rear disc.

Front wheel: your 02 front wheel will fit straight in but you will need to use a 96 axle and l/h wheel spacer in your 96 forks.

This info is correct to the best of my knowledge. If anyone (DJ, James, Cam) know any different, please advise.
ehr400
6/29/2012 3:13am
MCfan4life wrote:
MCfan4life wrote:
Not quite. They will fit but you will need to change some parts around. Here's what you will need to change... Rear wheel: rear disc on...
Not quite. They will fit but you will need to change some parts around. Here's what you will need to change...

Rear wheel: rear disc on the 02 is too big. Honda went to a larger diameter disc in '97. Also the bearings and spacers will need to be changed. Honda went to a larger diameter rear axle in 2000. So your 02 wheel will fit with 96 bearings, spacers, axle and rear disc.

Front wheel: your 02 front wheel will fit straight in but you will need to use a 96 axle and l/h wheel spacer in your 96 forks.

This info is correct to the best of my knowledge. If anyone (DJ, James, Cam) know any different, please advise.
The front axle will not fit to a newer style 2000ish and up style hub. The front axle diameter is smaller on my '97 CR125 then the axle used on the CRF 250 that the forks came from. Also instead of people getting new triple clamps I used 2004 clamps on mine by simply pressing the bearings off the 2004 stem and putting on the '97 lower bearing. You could also change the race to a 2004 CRF250 as well. The stems are the same OD and length. I know some people want to look exactly like the way they were but I was going to experiment with using the 2004 style front fender and cycra number plate. Kinda a resto-mod but yet keeping the flavor of the original bike.

Anyone know if you can strip the chrome of a pipe? I have a cherry Bills pipee for my '97 125 and would love to make it bare steel. Anyone like Newman or MCfan have related experiences? Lol.
MCfan4life
6/29/2012 6:29am
MCfan4life wrote:
Not quite. They will fit but you will need to change some parts around. Here's what you will need to change... Rear wheel: rear disc on...

ehr400 wrote:
The front axle will not fit to a newer style 2000ish and up style hub. The front axle diameter is smaller on my '97 CR125 then...
The front axle will not fit to a newer style 2000ish and up style hub. The front axle diameter is smaller on my '97 CR125 then the axle used on the CRF 250 that the forks came from. Also instead of people getting new triple clamps I used 2004 clamps on mine by simply pressing the bearings off the 2004 stem and putting on the '97 lower bearing. You could also change the race to a 2004 CRF250 as well. The stems are the same OD and length. I know some people want to look exactly like the way they were but I was going to experiment with using the 2004 style front fender and cycra number plate. Kinda a resto-mod but yet keeping the flavor of the original bike.

Anyone know if you can strip the chrome of a pipe? I have a cherry Bills pipee for my '97 125 and would love to make it bare steel. Anyone like Newman or MCfan have related experiences? Lol.
re: front axle... I changed the wording slightly in my posts so it reads better. I basically did the opposite (to my bike) of what David was asking.

The platinum finish can be stripped. Check out nine1seven's thread on his '87 CR250 rebuild and shoot him a message if you need to. This was originally a platinum pipe

MCfan4life
6/29/2012 6:42am
Do you have any pictures of those clamps on your bike? I would like to see how the fitment of the steering stops.
The clamps on my bike or somebody else's? I'll post some pictures of mine. Like others have stated you can modify different year OEM clamps but I wanted billet clamps to match the look of MC's factory clamps. Mine were custom made by Emig Racing and I can't recommend their work or service highly enough!!!

In these next images you can see the 'stoppers' that Emig incorporates into the bottom clamp.

6/29/2012 7:06am
I actually just ordered a lower clamp from Emig Racing two days ago. It wasnt cheap but I liked that it was specifically designed for showa forks in a steel framed CR. I was having buyers remorse when I read that some people were able to use an OEM clamp off of a particular bike. But I have gotten over it, haha. I cant wait until my clamp gets here so I can start assembling the bike. I really like the MC replicas and the attention to detail that you guys have gone through, but I didnt want to do a replica myself because the bar has been set so high. my overall goal is to build a bike that looks like an "off the showroom" 1996 CR250, with the exception of modern suspension. I am hoping there is somethign I can do to my Emig Racing clamp so that it isn't so shiny compaired to the stock upper clamp.
ehr400
6/29/2012 1:08pm
Damn those clamps look good! How much they run if you dont mind me asking? I was going to have them make me a set to go on my '07 frame KTM with a 380SX motor swap that was going use the '99 WP conventionals.
WOLFY83
6/29/2012 4:31pm
ehr400 wrote:
Damn those clamps look good! How much they run if you dont mind me asking? I was going to have them make me a set to...
Damn those clamps look good! How much they run if you dont mind me asking? I was going to have them make me a set to go on my '07 frame KTM with a 380SX motor swap that was going use the '99 WP conventionals.
I have put some new parts and about 25 hours on my bike since my last post...My bike is a woods version of the 96 mcgrath....has a black oversized tank and an 18 inch rear....still need to redo the front wheel and get the front hub powdercoated...I also had the frame powder coated "wet white" which is pretty spot on to the orginal color...When look at bikes still n the build process I wish I didnt ride mine or could afford another bike to ride....but I will say that my bike turns everyones heads on the trails and this is my first steel framed CR...I have owned 5 other aluminum framed CR's and this is bar far my favorit....i rode mostly single track and woods....no track for me....was not afforded the motocross lifestyle as a kid and broken bones at 29 years old hurt.....been out of about 6-7 years until ths year....Here are some pics

JIM77
7/14/2012 3:21am
CamP wrote:
MCfan4life wrote:
I immediately thought of your new tank when I was typing that post Cam. You must have got one of the last ones. Also that dealer...
CamP wrote:
That dealer closed their internet store, but they still take phone orders. Another internet store with great OEM parts prices is [url=http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/parts.html]Powersports Plus[/url]. I'm in a...
That dealer closed their internet store, but they still take phone orders. Another internet store with great OEM parts prices is Powersports Plus.

I'm in a dilemma now with what to do with that NOS tank.
Does anyone have the contact details of this dealer taking phone orders only? I tried the link, but no names came up.

I've placed one order with powersports, but their prices went up a little in the last 2 weeks, still cheap but not as good as they were.

I'm thinking about doing a full OEM engine rebuild on my 96, so anything I can save will help.

PM me if you like.

Thanks Jim

Post a reply to: 1996 CR250 McGrath Replica Rebuild

The Latest