1993 Honda CR250 Restoration

dogger315
Edited Date/Time 6/13/2015 12:10am
A while back I decided to retire my 93. I saw all the replica bikes and decided I wanted to convert this one back to
showroom condition. Turns out that was a bigger job than I thought. When I first put this bike together in 2010, I
used a lot of aftermarket parts, now all of those parts had to be replaced with OE.

I tore the bike down to the frame and got to work

I media blasted the frame, subframe and a pair of OE handlebars the painted them Shasta White. I had been buying all the
needed parts over the last year and had some good fortune and some not so good. After quite a parts chasing journey, I
pretty much have everything I need now to finish the job. I'm also rebuilding the engine with all OE parts and I even managed
to find a new set of Dunlop K490/695s.

This project is a ways down on my priority list right now, it's more of a tinker with it when I get a chance, so the process will
take a while.

Here are a few pictures so far:

I'll post some more updates as it goes back together.

dogger
|
Eejit360
11/8/2013 2:07pm
Absolutely stunning work Dogger. I have been eagerly watching your progress with this build on another forum. When it comes to restoring bikes and providing great info, you set the standard!
NESC838
11/8/2013 7:10pm
Wow! Amazing work.

Would you happen to have any photos of the bike assembled from your 2010 restoration?
dogger315
11/9/2013 7:25am
Thanks guys!

I originally built this bike to race and ride. It was a "scratch build" (all new parts). Since I planned to race it, I went with
the 19" rear (a common mod in 93). Engine work that included a balanced crank, VForce 3, PWK, Pro Circuit pipe and
silencer, Hinson Clutch, and lots of doo dads to make it fit better. I spent two years racing it and had a ball, but every
time something needed replacing, I wasn't sure if that part would still be available. I didn't want the bike to deteriorate
because of this, it's too great of a bike. So I decided to park it and restore it back to showroom condition.

Here are a couple of pictures from the original rollout in 2010:

And here is a picture of my original 93, the bike this one is based on:

dogger

The Shop

reded
11/9/2013 8:09pm
Very meticulous looking build.

Please keep this thread updated, I love these bikes.
EatMyDust
12/15/2013 10:36pm
Nice job thats a clean bike !! I think I heard McGrath say once the 93 cr250 was the best bike he ever owned
barkhard696
12/16/2013 10:42am
Go get 'em Don! Awesome to have a thred of yours on this site. Your Honda builds are second to none!

PS. F-18s suck ;-)
MCfan4life
12/16/2013 2:30pm
Awesome Dogger!!!

Your attention to detail in your builds is second to none! Love your work and can't wait to see it finished.
dogger315
12/17/2013 8:04am
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

Like I said, the 93 is a "back burner" project and will be slow going. I'll definitely keep this
thread updated with any progress.

Right now, I'm working on a PJ restoration for it. Believe it or not, the lowly 38mm PJ is
NLA. Parts availability for the 92-94s has become a PITB.

I'm spending the bulk of my time on the '09 CR250 hybrid project. Since I opted for a
full cradle replacement (instead of billet or pieced together tubing), it's become pretty
involved. I had the new cradle tubes mandrel bent to match a sample i provided from
a donor 03 CR250. Then I tweaked those tubes with a JD2 tubing bender to fit the 09
CRF 250 "Y" and peg bed. Now I have to bolt up my "jig" engine to locate the new
engine mounts and tack weld everything. Once that's done, I'll remove the jig and
finish the welds with a TIG. Then the frame goes in for annealing to bring it back up
to full strength.

I'll start a separate thread detailing the 09 when i get a chance.

"F-18s suck ;-)"
You got that right, James!

dogger
rallendude
12/17/2013 8:25am
Kudos. You're probably the first guy I've ever seen that wants to do the frame right. Aluminum isn't like steel where the welds are always stronger than the parent metal. Aluminum is always weaker after welding and needs to be tempered properly to maintain the strength.
Kezmo
12/17/2013 2:00pm
Very nice indeed!
Stooperbike
12/23/2013 7:03pm
dogger315 wrote:
Thanks guys! I originally built this bike to race and ride. It was a "scratch build" (all new parts). Since I planned to race it, I...
Thanks guys!

I originally built this bike to race and ride. It was a "scratch build" (all new parts). Since I planned to race it, I went with
the 19" rear (a common mod in 93). Engine work that included a balanced crank, VForce 3, PWK, Pro Circuit pipe and
silencer, Hinson Clutch, and lots of doo dads to make it fit better. I spent two years racing it and had a ball, but every
time something needed replacing, I wasn't sure if that part would still be available. I didn't want the bike to deteriorate
because of this, it's too great of a bike. So I decided to park it and restore it back to showroom condition.

dogger
I think this is the best looking bike I have ever seen. Just incredible!
12/24/2013 7:33am
Don, perfection as usual! I look forward to the finished product. And F/A-18's do suck. Then they blow. And I'll tell you something else - Hornets have put a LOT of meat and potatoes on my table!
barkhard696
12/28/2013 8:59pm
>And F/A-18's do suck. Then they blow. And I'll tell you something else - Hornets have put a LOT of meat and potatoes on my table!

Ironically enough, in a way for me, too. A former client (the guy was a total jackass) was the program manager for the F/A-18, when I told him that my Pop flew A-4s and I knew a guy who had flown F-14s, I received a lecture on "fighter jocks" and "mud pounders" all being a bunch of knuckle-dragging meatheads. Anyway the guy's company was a decent client until the company got bought out, here endeth the thred hijack, amen. (The Navy still should have kept the F-14Ds and repurposed the super F/A-18 into pure bomb trucks IMHO.)
MaxPower
12/29/2013 9:45am
dogger315 wrote:
Thanks guys! I originally built this bike to race and ride. It was a "scratch build" (all new parts). Since I planned to race it, I...
Thanks guys!

dogger
Along with he 84 Works bike this is my favorite Honda.
5/3/2014 1:13pm Edited Date/Time 5/3/2014 1:14pm
Hey Dogger, what ever happened to the rest of this build?
I know you said it was on the backburner, have you done any more?
Such a nice resto - congratulations!
dogger315
5/3/2014 7:32pm
OnedayWhip wrote:
Hey Dogger, what ever happened to the rest of this build? I know you said it was on the backburner, have you done any more? Such...
Hey Dogger, what ever happened to the rest of this build?
I know you said it was on the backburner, have you done any more?
Such a nice resto - congratulations!
I actually have gotten some more work done on it the last couple of weeks. I finally found a decent 38mm PJ to restore
and I ordered a new OE Honda clutch outer, inner and pressure plate to replace the Hinson set up it had before. I also
freshened up the engine with a new top end. The engine is done now and I'll make some time to put the rest of the bike
together first chance. Here are some pictures of the little progress I've made.

dogger

5/4/2014 12:19am
looking good! I eagerly await more updates!
A-10A warthog for me btw Smile
5/5/2014 2:06pm
By the way, caught between a rock and a hard place - whether to plate hardware or not. I mean most parts look good and clean, but used. Wondering whether leaving them might be better?
If I do one bolt, I must do all, no?
Looking at your builds, plating sure looks great.
dogger315
5/5/2014 6:07pm
I don't mess with plating on newer bikes because it's more of a hassle in time and effort than to simply
replace the bolts with new. I always plate the hardware on my vintage projects because 1. Most of the
bolts are NLA and 2. It really makes a difference in how they turn out. For this '93, I sat down and
placed an order for all the OE bolts. Not a whole lot of money and a heck of a lot less work than plating.
As far as having to replace/replate all or nothing, you can always do the work in stages, i.e. engine bolts,
frame bolts, suspension bolts, etc. help spread the work or cost. But I do recommend you do all or none.

A-10 was a great ground support AC - probably the best ever at what it was designed to do. Straight wing
for outstanding maneuverability, Engines above the for better survivability, lots of armor to protect the pilot
and that GAU-8 was/is bad ass.

dogger
MaxPower
5/5/2014 6:35pm
I was hesitant to have things replated on my bike. But I was happy I did. I sent parts that weren't just bolts like the footpeg springs. Even if I could get new bolts, it saved me the time of making sure I had the correct size bolts that were being replaced.
I shipped mine off Flat Rate to North Carolina and in just over a week and 100 dollars later I had a box of shiny bolts. When you have one old bolt among newly plated pieces it really stands out
RyanLester761
7/24/2014 3:08pm
Great looking bike! Can you tell me where you got the OEM plastics?
dogger315
7/25/2014 12:43pm
Great looking bike! Can you tell me where you got the OEM plastics?
Thanks!

You're probably not going to like the answer to your question. I bought the OE plastic from Honda before it
went obsolete a year or two ago.

If you need plastic for a '93, try UFO. They're the only ones still selling the correct Flourescent Red.

dogger
MaxPower
7/25/2014 4:34pm
The 92-94 were the best looking Hondas to me. Looking at your fresh CR makes me want one again. I want a 125 again. When the first 250f came out I just had to have one. I was such an idiot. I never liked that bike. I should have just kept my CR. You did a great job.
dogger315
7/26/2014 8:38am
Thanks.

Nearly everybody jumped on the four stroke bandwagon due to all the hype. I held out until 2004 and stayed with it
until 2006 before switching back. Going back to two strokes was the best move I ever made, riding/racing was fun
again. It's a shame the AMA and the manufacturers made this decision for us.

This '93 was a hoot to ride and race and I hate having to turn it into a dust collector. I wish motorcycle manufacturers
were under the same replacement parts rules as the auto industry.

dogger
7/26/2014 9:32am
dogger315 wrote:
Thanks. Nearly everybody jumped on the four stroke bandwagon due to all the hype. I held out until 2004 and stayed with it until 2006 before...
Thanks.

Nearly everybody jumped on the four stroke bandwagon due to all the hype. I held out until 2004 and stayed with it
until 2006 before switching back. Going back to two strokes was the best move I ever made, riding/racing was fun
again. It's a shame the AMA and the manufacturers made this decision for us.

This '93 was a hoot to ride and race and I hate having to turn it into a dust collector. I wish motorcycle manufacturers
were under the same replacement parts rules as the auto industry.

dogger
Well said - I agree on both your comments about the two stroke demise and manufacturer parts rules. My last two stroke was a 2003 CR125, and then it was 4 stroke for many years - I sold my CRF this year and bought two 2 strokes with the cash. One's the MC replica and the other is a '03 CR250 that I've been fiddling with - so about a week away from riding my first CR250 - really amped about this!

Any progress on your beautiful build?
dogger315
7/27/2014 6:36am
OnedayWhip wrote:
Well said - I agree on both your comments about the two stroke demise and manufacturer parts rules. My last two stroke was a 2003 CR125...
Well said - I agree on both your comments about the two stroke demise and manufacturer parts rules. My last two stroke was a 2003 CR125, and then it was 4 stroke for many years - I sold my CRF this year and bought two 2 strokes with the cash. One's the MC replica and the other is a '03 CR250 that I've been fiddling with - so about a week away from riding my first CR250 - really amped about this!

Any progress on your beautiful build?
No, the '93 was moved to the "back burner" because I am in the final stages of completing the gen 4 CR250 hybrid project.

Once that bike is done, I plan to resume work on the '93.

I'll be sure to post progress pictures on both.

dogger
6/11/2015 11:17am
Referred back to this thread tonight again for some lessons on how to restore p-r-o-p-e-r-l-y, love this build Dogger!

Post a reply to: 1993 Honda CR250 Restoration

The Latest