1992 RM 250

Manbearpig
Edited Date/Time 3/5/2017 7:15pm
Well I finally have some progress on my 1992 RM 250. Restoring to be a 1990 Larry Ward replica. IMO the best looking RM produced.

Long story short... Inside Line MX a good friend of mine Kenny Watkins out of Eden, Utah found out I needed some help with my restore while I recover from my second kidney transplant so he has taken the reins on my bike. What a solid guy!

Here are a handful of pics so far.

|
sandman768
10/11/2016 2:47am
Looking good! Keep photos coming! I agree on the look of the 90 rm"s. I"m slowly restoring a 92 also. Nothing more therapeutic than working on bikes while your recovering...looks like you had a clean bike to start with!
Manbearpig
10/11/2016 4:02am
sandman768 wrote:
Looking good! Keep photos coming! I agree on the look of the 90 rm"s. I"m slowly restoring a 92 also. Nothing more therapeutic than working on...
Looking good! Keep photos coming! I agree on the look of the 90 rm"s. I"m slowly restoring a 92 also. Nothing more therapeutic than working on bikes while your recovering...looks like you had a clean bike to start with!
Thanks Sandman. The gold wheels are next.
Manbearpig
10/19/2016 1:58am
Pipe and silencer question...

I am looking for the raw pipe look and I have the stock pipe and silencer. I know I can strip it down and get that look but I would rather purchase a raw pro circuit pipe with silencer but for the life of me can't figure out what pipe / silencer to get? It looks like the 89/90 used a different cylinder and the 91/92 are different as well. Does anyone here know if the rmx shares the same dimensions or ran into this before? I keep hearing about the silencers not fitting on the 92 ?

Thank you.
sandman768
10/19/2016 3:54am
I believe the pipes are 91-92 only, I looked for a works PC pipe for a while, hard to find. I ended up buying new PC platinum pipe, they can be stripped, but I"m going with the crome look for my 92. I think you can go on PC"s web site & still see the part #"s for the specific pipes & silencers.

The Shop

pete24
10/19/2016 6:22am
my buddy is selling this sweetheart if any one is interested probably got less than ten hrs on it

Prairieboy43
10/19/2016 6:47am
Had 92 RM250. Little underpowered compared to Honda. Bills Pipe, boyesen reeds, FMF silencer, WER steering stabilizer. Then was stolen. Never found. Evil
Good luck on your project. Smile
Manbearpig
10/19/2016 7:42am
sandman768 wrote:
I believe the pipes are 91-92 only, I looked for a works PC pipe for a while, hard to find. I ended up buying new PC...
I believe the pipes are 91-92 only, I looked for a works PC pipe for a while, hard to find. I ended up buying new PC platinum pipe, they can be stripped, but I"m going with the crome look for my 92. I think you can go on PC"s web site & still see the part #"s for the specific pipes & silencers.
Thank you for the info. I currently have a new platinum pipe as well and I will most likely strip it down like you mentioned.
Manbearpig
10/19/2016 8:38am
pete24 wrote:
my buddy is selling this sweetheart if any one is interested probably got less than ten hrs on it [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/10/19/156329/s1200_IMG_0470_bens_rm.jpg[/img]
my buddy is selling this sweetheart if any one is interested probably got less than ten hrs on it

That is a rediculous bike! Any idea on what he is asking? I've got too much skin in the game on mine to purchase another 92 but I have a few buddies that would be interested.

Manbearpig
10/19/2016 9:16am
Had 92 RM250. Little underpowered compared to Honda. Bills Pipe, boyesen reeds, FMF silencer, WER steering stabilizer. Then was stolen. Never found. :evil: Good luck on...
Had 92 RM250. Little underpowered compared to Honda. Bills Pipe, boyesen reeds, FMF silencer, WER steering stabilizer. Then was stolen. Never found. Evil
Good luck on your project. Smile
Thanks Prairieboy

I'm a sucker for this generation of bikes. I would love 2 of every color. Bummer about your bike man.
Manbearpig
2/15/2017 9:53pm
Making some more progress. Still looking for a raw pipe for this 92 and the matching silencer.

sandman768
2/16/2017 4:36am
Silencers were availible on eBay last time I looked, although I like yours better, the pro circuit silencer is round & yours is more oval. drop your pipe off to a sand blaster, then red scotchbrite with wd40 & blue the welds, after plating is blasted off it is very ez to turn into works raw pipe...I have not seen a new raw pipe pop up for sale in 2 years, safe to say they are gone...bike looks great!
sandman768
2/16/2017 4:40am
pete24 wrote:
my buddy is selling this sweetheart if any one is interested probably got less than ten hrs on it [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/10/19/156329/s1200_IMG_0470_bens_rm.jpg[/img]

Manbearpig wrote:
That is a rediculous bike! Any idea on what he is asking? I've got too much skin in the game on mine to purchase another 92...
That is a rediculous bike! Any idea on what he is asking? I've got too much skin in the game on mine to purchase another 92 but I have a few buddies that would be interested.

This bike is very happy in its new home, next to a bunch of siblings........
Manbearpig
2/16/2017 12:15pm
sandman768 wrote:
Silencers were availible on eBay last time I looked, although I like yours better, the pro circuit silencer is round & yours is more oval. drop...
Silencers were availible on eBay last time I looked, although I like yours better, the pro circuit silencer is round & yours is more oval. drop your pipe off to a sand blaster, then red scotchbrite with wd40 & blue the welds, after plating is blasted off it is very ez to turn into works raw pipe...I have not seen a new raw pipe pop up for sale in 2 years, safe to say they are gone...bike looks great!
Sandman

That's the route i'm going to go but I'm having a hell of a time finding a local guy to sand blast the pipe.

I appreciate the compliment. Im pretty stoked to finish her up.

Did you end up buying that gem?!!
sandman768
2/16/2017 2:44pm
sandman768 wrote:
Silencers were availible on eBay last time I looked, although I like yours better, the pro circuit silencer is round & yours is more oval. drop...
Manbearpig wrote:
Sandman That's the route i'm going to go but I'm having a hell of a time finding a local guy to sand blast the pipe. I...
Sandman

That's the route i'm going to go but I'm having a hell of a time finding a local guy to sand blast the pipe.

Yes, I bought it.....wayyyyy to clean to pass up & a very easy 2.5 hr drive from my house! I had been looking for one for 2 years. wish I found it before I had one shipped from CA. Now I have 2.... I have a problem.... I love 80"s & 90"s MX bikes!
Manbearpig
2/17/2017 10:53am
sandman768 wrote:
Manbearpig wrote:
Sandman That's the route i'm going to go but I'm having a hell of a time finding a local guy to sand blast the pipe. I...
Sandman

sandman768 wrote:
Yes, I bought it.....wayyyyy to clean to pass up & a very easy 2.5 hr drive from my house! I had been looking for one for...
Yes, I bought it.....wayyyyy to clean to pass up & a very easy 2.5 hr drive from my house! I had been looking for one for 2 years. wish I found it before I had one shipped from CA. Now I have 2.... I have a problem.... I love 80"s & 90"s MX bikes!
Holy shit that's awesome!

I have the same problem... I would rather have a clean 30 year old bike than any new bike minus a Husky 300 maybe..haha
Manbearpig
3/5/2017 3:57pm

Still waiting on a few items such as a raw pipe, carbon fiber silencer and a few Era appropriate decals and then I will post a few quality pics and not in my dirty ass garage Smile love this Era of motocross!
sandman768
3/5/2017 4:58pm
bike looks great! Well done! Best color scheme of the 89-92 years....
Manbearpig
3/5/2017 9:07pm
sandman768 wrote:
Thanks Sandman! Did you leave the stock carb in yours?
sandman768
3/6/2017 4:15am
sandman768 wrote:
Manbearpig wrote:
Yes, Going with stock Mikuni TMX. I just soda blasted it & rebuilt it. The other Low hr 92 rm I bought came with a Boyesen rad valve & much leaner jetting than stock. I"m using the rad valve & leaner jetting on the bike I"m building. I run 50/50 race & pump gas in my vintage 2 strokes, Will monitor jetting, the rad valve bike may have been set up for woods riding, I may need to go richer for MX....I"m at a standstill with my bike, waiting on a cylinder powervalve cover gasket that was back ordered from Suzuki.
Manbearpig
3/6/2017 10:38am
sandman768 wrote:
Manbearpig wrote:
sandman768 wrote:
Yes, Going with stock Mikuni TMX. I just soda blasted it & rebuilt it. The other Low hr 92 rm I bought came with a Boyesen...
Yes, Going with stock Mikuni TMX. I just soda blasted it & rebuilt it. The other Low hr 92 rm I bought came with a Boyesen rad valve & much leaner jetting than stock. I"m using the rad valve & leaner jetting on the bike I"m building. I run 50/50 race & pump gas in my vintage 2 strokes, Will monitor jetting, the rad valve bike may have been set up for woods riding, I may need to go richer for MX....I"m at a standstill with my bike, waiting on a cylinder powervalve cover gasket that was back ordered from Suzuki.
Tanks for the info.
I'm torn between using the 93-95 Keihin because I'm told that was the ticket for the 92. I also have the rad valve with a mild milled head with a Dynoport pipe and silencer that I'm still waiting for. Waiting for parts is the worst! Haha. I'm extremely jealous of your barely ridden 92 man.
Night Train
3/20/2017 7:52pm
As a kid, that was the bike I most lusted after, purely for the looks. Yours looks most excellent, Sir.
Manbearpig
3/20/2017 10:26pm
As a kid, that was the bike I most lusted after, purely for the looks. Yours looks most excellent, Sir.
Thank you Night Train.

I was the same way as a kid and have been waiting to restore this bike to re live those memories. Its so cool to see it in my garage every day.
nickm
3/21/2017 8:10pm
Nice work, I agree that look is to my eyes the best looking RMs ever. Congrats on your work.
Manbearpig
3/21/2017 9:37pm
nickm wrote:
Nice work, I agree that look is to my eyes the best looking RMs ever. Congrats on your work.
Thank you Nick.
Manbearpig
3/21/2017 9:43pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2017 9:44pm
A few more shameless pics. I took the stock pipe and put a raw finish on and liked how it turned out. And a couple pics with bikes and trucks because it's bitchin.
RyanLester761
3/23/2017 7:24am
Looks so good! I love that bike! And both of your trucks! Too cool.

I'm curious what seat foam you got for the bike. I like that profile. Ceet or Guts Racing??? What density?... if you don't mind helping me decide on mine. I'm replacing the foam on my bike soon. Thanks.
Manbearpig
3/23/2017 8:33am
Looks so good! I love that bike! And both of your trucks! Too cool. I'm curious what seat foam you got for the bike. I like...
Looks so good! I love that bike! And both of your trucks! Too cool.

I'm curious what seat foam you got for the bike. I like that profile. Ceet or Guts Racing??? What density?... if you don't mind helping me decide on mine. I'm replacing the foam on my bike soon. Thanks.
Ryan

Thank you for the compliments! It's been a lot of fun. However I can't take credit for the 93 Chevy. That's my buddies truck.

The seat foam is a Ceet high profile. I need to adjust my seat cover because I can't seem to get it to lay right. You might have better luck with a guts foam. I hope this helps.

Post a reply to: 1992 RM 250

The Latest