1992 Peak Pro Circuit CR125 Build

9/17/2014 1:57am
Alternatively, I'm happy to measure up the end cap (or the whole silencer) and post it here.

chuckdavies
9/17/2014 5:27am
Wow lucky! Would you not straight swap for a brand new in packet 91/92 PC Silencer (has new shape end cap)?

I purchased a brand new new style silencer from CGH Imports, hoping the old one would fit. Then found an almost brand new 91/92 PC Silencer. Purchased that and the tube that connects silencer to expansion pipe is way longer than my new one? Sad And its a different diameter to my new pipe, so I cant swap it over.

I'm stumped now! Spent a fortune on silencers I cant use haha! Could you measure the inner diameter of the main part of the silencer please? So I can see the outer diameter of your end cap to see if it would work with my new pipe? Also any other pics of it please?

Thanks bud!
9/17/2014 5:48am Edited Date/Time 9/17/2014 6:02am
You wouldn't want my silencer for your build - it's had a hard life.

A previous owner had welded studs in place of the rivets, and slotted the body to suit, making it messy, and making everything wobbly.

I've re-drilled the ends, and have re-riveted through 0.8mm stainless strap to tidy it all up, but it's not original.

The visible portion of the end cap is unmolested though, so the offer of it to copy stands if you wish.

Ironically, my current DEP header / PC silencer combo fits perfectly.
If I try to fit my DEP silencer I have, the bolt hole in the subframe is 5mm out???

I'll stick the verniers on the end cap tonight for you.

The Shop

chuckdavies
9/18/2014 12:03am
Hi bud

Really appreciate your help! Shame about your silencer these things are so rare now!

Here's a pic of my 2 silencers. My new 92 silencer from CGH Imports, and my old style cr125 silencer that i was told was from a 91/92 but is a completely different fitment as you can see.

Just got the verniers out and my old style silencer is 60mm inner diameter (same as yours, with the new silencer inner diameter of 62mm. I need to make up the 2mm somehow unless i can find an old style pc end cap with a 62mm OD.

9/18/2014 12:32am
Your '92 looks like it belongs on a 250 or something bigger as it's longer?

If I had those 2 pipes, I'd end up cutting a strip of 0.9mm stainless to sandwich between the 62mm sleeve, and 60mm cap.

If you made a neat job of it, you'd need to be quite eagle eyed to spot it.

Or you get a new connecting pipe made for the '92 silencer - at least you have the other as a template.
Rovalova
9/18/2014 12:32am
Hi bud Really appreciate your help! Shame about your silencer these things are so rare now! Here's a pic of my 2 silencers. My new 92...
Hi bud

Really appreciate your help! Shame about your silencer these things are so rare now!

Here's a pic of my 2 silencers. My new 92 silencer from CGH Imports, and my old style cr125 silencer that i was told was from a 91/92 but is a completely different fitment as you can see.

Just got the verniers out and my old style silencer is 60mm inner diameter (same as yours, with the new silencer inner diameter of 62mm. I need to make up the 2mm somehow unless i can find an old style pc end cap with a 62mm OD.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Kx125-Pro-Circuit-Silencer-/121419887578?p…

My 93 is 62mm end cap. ask this guy to measure his may be an option?
chuckdavies
9/18/2014 2:45am
Your '92 looks like it belongs on a 250 or something bigger as it's longer? If I had those 2 pipes, I'd end up cutting a...
Your '92 looks like it belongs on a 250 or something bigger as it's longer?

If I had those 2 pipes, I'd end up cutting a strip of 0.9mm stainless to sandwich between the 62mm sleeve, and 60mm cap.

If you made a neat job of it, you'd need to be quite eagle eyed to spot it.

Or you get a new connecting pipe made for the '92 silencer - at least you have the other as a template.
It could be off a kx125 too? I have no idea but would be handy to find out if anyone knows?

Thanks rovalova ive emailed the guy, ill let you know his reply! Smile
RyanLester761
9/18/2014 7:20am
Yes, the silencer on the right appears to be for a kx125.

Rovalova
9/18/2014 11:11am
This site was helpful for matching years and parts when I did my build.

http://oem-cycle.com/HONDACR125BIKEID.shtml

Also this might work for you if the canister is the measurement you need, could always swap out the join pipe with your new one and its all new! It says has standard style end cap, better check which one that is!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRO-CIRCUIT-R304-T-6-ALUMINUM-W-SHORTY-SILENCER…
chuckdavies
9/18/2014 12:12pm
Rovalova wrote:
This site was helpful for matching years and parts when I did my build. http://oem-cycle.com/HONDACR125BIKEID.shtml Also this might work for you if the canister is the...
This site was helpful for matching years and parts when I did my build.

http://oem-cycle.com/HONDACR125BIKEID.shtml

Also this might work for you if the canister is the measurement you need, could always swap out the join pipe with your new one and its all new! It says has standard style end cap, better check which one that is!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRO-CIRCUIT-R304-T-6-ALUMINUM-W-SHORTY-SILENCER…
Yes ive used the oem-cycle site too to cross-reference parts but thanks for the heads up. I actually have all my stock parts sorted now...Huge NOS Honda order ready to collect from my dealer, just waiting on a couple of parts to turn up and ill go collect it in 1 go.

I emailed them a few weeks ago asking to double check what end cap. They said its not in stock they just get whatever comes from the distributor, and it'll be the latest one, meaning the new shape unfortunately Sad

Brandon, i can get any little bits like that sorted at the end, just gotta get an old style cap to fit my new silencer ideally Smile
Rovalova
9/18/2014 3:34pm
Rear fender and side panels painted to match the rear fender sticker. Turned out nice! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/08/27/63604/s1200_95_splitfire_project_left_rear.jpg[/img]
Rear fender and side panels painted to match the rear fender sticker. Turned out nice!

Ryan are you planning to, or have you ridden that bike yet? Wanting to know how painted plastics hold up to use, any body know.?
RyanLester761
9/18/2014 6:23pm
I'm hesitant to ride it just because it has new tires and everything is so fresh. I might swap wheels and run a few laps just to see how it runs. I will surely get video if I do and let you know how the blue paint holds up.

Supposedly, this is the same paint and paint adhesion promoter the auto body guys use on plasic flexible bumpers. It should hold up decent. I have more paint so I might risk it at some point.

barkhard696
9/19/2014 6:16am Edited Date/Time 9/19/2014 6:18am
>Supposedly, this is the same paint and paint adhesion promoter the auto body guys use on plasic flexible bumpers. It should hold up decent. I have more paint so I might risk it at some point.

For whatever it's worth, PC was known for painting the tanks on the Splitfire CRs (white) and would often paint the sidecovers of the SF Kawies (black) as a cost-saving measure.

A company I've used, Plastic Renovations, has proprietary plastic painting and restoration services. He can do restoration to several different levels depending on how badly the plastic is damaged/scratched/oxidized. You can find them on FB. The work is top-notch and I have NEVER had any kind of issue with the painting Phil has done on my bikes' plastic. The end result looks completely NOS. Just throwing it out there if anyone can use the resource.
chuckdavies
9/22/2014 1:12pm
Another problem solved! I hadnt wanted to take the new silencer out of the packet in case it was 100% no good to me and i wanted to sell as new. Tonight i decided to take it out to double check and noticed the new shape end cap bulges as it comes out of the body, measuring 62mm. But the actual measurement where it enters the body is 60mm, exactly the same as my new 92!!! I just couldnt make it out through the packaging, and couldnt believe it when i noticed!

Drilled rivets out of both, end cap slotted straight in perfectly off the kx125 one and all holes line up. Just need to get the body cut down to the same length as the team ones were, fit the old style sticker and rivet on the new (old style) end cap! Chuffed Smile thanks everyone for your help!
chuckdavies
9/22/2014 1:41pm Edited Date/Time 9/22/2014 1:44pm

Heres the bulge i mentioned haha..

Rovalova
9/22/2014 1:49pm
good news. but soooo funny
chuckdavies
9/22/2014 2:01pm
I know right! I couldn't believe it haha.

Happy it's another thing off the list though and i can move on! Been a couple of set backs the last week or so but frame should be finished this week and off to powdercoaters, and the big Honda order will be collected saturday all going well Smile

Stevie (StevieD113 on here) found a hairline crack in my outer water pump case that's just too much work to sort, so ordered up another one off ebay today to have sent straight to him to be sorted with the rest of the motor parts.

Chuck
Enduro_1980
9/26/2014 12:35pm Edited Date/Time 9/26/2014 12:50pm
Hi. Nice project.
I am doing a cr125 91 pc peak replica. I see that you found a works skide plate for your 92. I am lucky to live in Corona and can go check the bikes at Pro circuit when I need to. Did you notice that the skid plat is cut on the pc bike, both 91 and 92?

chuckdavies
9/26/2014 1:02pm
Hi. Nice project. I am doing a cr125 91 pc peak replica. I see that you found a works skide plate for your 92. I am...
Hi. Nice project.
I am doing a cr125 91 pc peak replica. I see that you found a works skide plate for your 92. I am lucky to live in Corona and can go check the bikes at Pro circuit when I need to. Did you notice that the skid plat is cut on the pc bike, both 91 and 92?

Hi dude, get some pics up of your 91 project, id love to see!! Yes i did notice that the glide plate was cut down, but not at the front part, i'd only noticed how they cut the sides off at angles underneath to follow the frame rails, which i'll be doing to mine when the tabs are welded the the frame. Are you able to upload pictures of the peak bikes you have to this site please as they'd be great to see!

Here's the pic i was going off for the angled glide plate underneath. I also have the pink/blue old style N-style sticker that goes at the front underneath the logo, been hanging onto it for years Smile

chuckdavies
9/26/2014 1:08pm
I dropped into my local Honda dealer tonight to pick up my 3 orders. There's a few pieces missing that are gonna be here on monday/tuesday plus a fair few other bits i need to order up. Big shout out to Jason at Motocross World who surprisingly had most of these 92 parts in stock, but searched around for the discontinued stuff for me and got them over in great time!

I'm pumped to get hold of 2 NOS '92 discs, coil, gear lever, top clamp (bar clamps on the way), chain guide (metal and rubber), all clutch/brake levers/rubbers//clamps, throttle and clutch cables etc.. Pretty much every bolt, washer, nut, spacer, seal will be NOS Honda.

barkhard696
9/26/2014 5:20pm
FWIW, my understanding is the bikes at PC are display bikes. They may have some, or all, or none of the parts that were used on the actual bike(s). So some of the parts on the display bikes could just be what they had left over when they were putting it together.

Also, it's really hard to make a bike an exact replica just for the reason that multiple bikes were used in a season, esp. on a large satellite team like PC. A part may be on a bike for one moto, gone the next. Heck, I understand PC often painted the tanks on the actual race bikes. Who wants to do that now? Yeech.

My advice is to pick what you have actual period documentation for and go with that as your model. Any Team Peak PC Honda if executed well is going to be the bee's knees.
RyanLester761
9/26/2014 7:13pm
Well put barkhard. I agree. There are only so many pictures in circulation (or visits to PC) to get ideas from. Pick your flavor, with what's available of course, and make it pretty.
chuckdavies
9/27/2014 9:36am
FWIW, my understanding is the bikes at PC are display bikes. They may have some, or all, or none of the parts that were used on...
FWIW, my understanding is the bikes at PC are display bikes. They may have some, or all, or none of the parts that were used on the actual bike(s). So some of the parts on the display bikes could just be what they had left over when they were putting it together.

Also, it's really hard to make a bike an exact replica just for the reason that multiple bikes were used in a season, esp. on a large satellite team like PC. A part may be on a bike for one moto, gone the next. Heck, I understand PC often painted the tanks on the actual race bikes. Who wants to do that now? Yeech.

My advice is to pick what you have actual period documentation for and go with that as your model. Any Team Peak PC Honda if executed well is going to be the bee's knees.
I completely understand about that, but im not studying the one in the pc showroom only... I have every 92 peak picture every posted online saved in an album that i've worked through to note all the main parts i can see on it to make a copy. And yes i know they changed a lot of parts but there's still the main bits that were clearly used all year long that i'm trying to locate and use in my build.

Troy Lee painted the tanks in 91 for Mitch to the blue colour, but in 92 they ran the stock 92 white tank which i have...

I know my bike isn't going to be an exact replica down to each part and bolt but i'm just doing the best I can and use most parts the same as they ran on the majority of the 92 season.
chuckdavies
9/27/2014 9:36am
Well put barkhard. I agree. There are only so many pictures in circulation (or visits to PC) to get ideas from. Pick your flavor, with what's...
Well put barkhard. I agree. There are only so many pictures in circulation (or visits to PC) to get ideas from. Pick your flavor, with what's available of course, and make it pretty.
See above Smile
chuckdavies
10/2/2014 1:13pm
I recently purchased another 92 CR125 shock as mine was also beyond repair like the rest of the bike. I got part way through cleaning it up when i noticed the Peak 125s ran a different shock to this... I understand it was probably an HRC mod or something, but it looks to me like it's based on the 89/90 CR250/89-01 CR500 (and some 125s but can't tie it down to a year) shock with modified internals. Can anyone shed some light onto this please? I can pick up one of those pretty easily in good enough shape, then i'll strip it and have it rebuilt with the red anodised adjuster as the team ran. But anyone know if it will mount up OK, or if its a completely different body altogether. Any help appreciated!

Here's my 92 CR125 shock...

Here's the shock on the 92 Peak bike...

And here's the 89 onward CR250/500 shocks that are on sale (notice the angled shock body top and the square adjuster as opposed to my circular one with 2 flat edges...

chuckdavies
10/2/2014 1:21pm
Another pic of an 89 CR250 shock...anyone have an eye to eye length of one of these for me to check against my 92 125 one please?

Banana_oil
10/2/2014 1:27pm
I think the stock ones in 92 were KYB while PC had showas. The 89 250 shock should fit but the length may be slightly shorter.
barkhard696
10/3/2014 3:00am Edited Date/Time 10/3/2014 2:28pm
>the believe pro circuit ran the showa 43mm forks in 92 on the cr125 also it might be a mod fork like the 92 cr250 showa forks or something.

The '92 CR250 Showa 43mm front end should be a direct bolt-on to the 1992 CR125. One of the "cures" for the '89-'91 45mm Showas was to swap the '92 CR250 front (triples bolt right up and you get the 43mm forks).

As long as the '92 CR250 shock reservoir is the right angle, and the upper shock bearing and the clevis work with the '91 CR125 frame, can't you have a suspension shop modify the shock travel if needed? Then you'd have a complete Showa suspension (and probably better suspension to boot)?

Post a reply to: 1992 Peak Pro Circuit CR125 Build

The Latest